74 replies to this topic

#1 Blown01NJ

Blown01NJ

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:24 PM

That Marty will start at Yankee Stadium?

-Putting that bread and butter all over the toast.

#2 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,725 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:29 PM

No, but let's be honest...

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#3 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:30 PM

Honestly I'd prefer Schneider be given the nod...  
For his play, and as a statement for our future and commitment to him.

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#4 Blown01NJ

Blown01NJ

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:31 PM

No, but let's be honest...

Well I just saw on TG that Marty had a new mask made for the game, so it looks like he automatically assumes he is playing. Which is complete bullsh!t.

-Putting that bread and butter all over the toast.

#5 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,323 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:32 PM

i expect cory to get both st.louis and washington and marty to get the yankee stadium game. then cory for st. louis and one of the dallas nash games.

Well I just saw on TG that Marty had a new mask made for the game, so it looks like he automatically assumes he is playing. Which is complete bullsh!t.

i will gladly let marty have that game if cory gets the two before and after it.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#6 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:36 PM

That doesn't mean anything. Backups in the WC like Biron, Johnson and Gustavsson had masks made but didn't play.

Edited by TheRedStorm, 20 January 2014 - 04:38 PM.

#7 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:38 PM

I don't think he assumes anything. But why not have a mask prepared just in case? 

I got no issue with Brodeur getting that game. I echo Sundstrom's thoughts about Cory getting the two before and the games after being great.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#8 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,687 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:38 PM

DeBoer said he's going day to day with goaltending plan, so no scheduled Saturday for Sunday at Yankee Stadium yet.

DeBoer admitted sentimentality might influence decision on starter for Sunday, but said most important thing is "for us to win games."

He didn't rule out NOT starting Marty which is pretty telling, though I still expect him to play.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#9 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,725 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:44 PM

I would bet every last thing I own Marty starts. Talbot has a better shot at starting for them than Schneider does for us.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#10 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,518 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:47 PM

While I'd like to see us commit 100% to Schneider, Marty has played the Rags well this year. If you're gonna give him a game, that's not a bad time to do it.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#11 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,687 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:48 PM

I would bet every last thing I own Marty starts. Talbot has a better shot at starting for them than Schneider does for us.

A month ago I would have bet money on Talbot starting...but now that Lundqvist has returned from the alien planet he was on, he's about a sure bet to get the game too.

While I'd like to see us commit 100% to Schneider, Marty has played the Rags well this year. If you're gonna give him a game, that's not a bad time to do it.

Cory shut them out early in the season as well.  

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#12 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:48 PM

Agreed and that includes Cory pitching back-to-back 35 save shutouts (both shootout losses, of course)

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#13 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,006 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:38 PM

Why would that be bull? It was pretty much common knowledge that he'd be playing that game when it was first announced.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#14 bobilly45

bobilly45

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:00 PM

martys got the mask, and the white pads for the stadium series, also HES MARTY BRODEUR and for that reason alone he's starting.   

#15 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,151 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:23 PM

...I want Marty to start.

He IS the new jersey devils.  He's everything this organization strives to be and represent.  He deserves this game.

Cory's got a decade's worth of time to play an outdoor game (whether with the Devils or a different team).

Edited by Devilsfan118, 20 January 2014 - 06:24 PM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#16 mrthemike

mrthemike

Cursed_Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:40 PM

Every point is important. We need to play whoever will give us the win. 

Sole Posted Image of Emmy Rossum

#17 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,518 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:20 PM

Cory shut them out early in the season as well.  

I'm not bashing Cory at all, just saying if you're gonna give Marty a game, the Rags might be the best team for him to play, based on past returns this year.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#18 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:24 PM

I'm not bashing Cory at all, just saying if you're gonna give Marty a game, the Rags might be the best team for him to play, based on past returns this year.

What? The rags are a much better team right now, way better than when we last played them.  The best games to play marty are games in which we have a good shot at scoring more. Teams with weak defense and or goal tending. The rangers are getting good goal tending and scoring right now. Marty in net could spell disaster.

Edited by Sneax, 20 January 2014 - 07:24 PM.

#19 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,518 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:32 PM

What? The rags are a much better team right now, way better than when we last played them.  The best games to play marty are games in which we have a good shot at scoring more. Teams with weak defense and or goal tending. The rangers are getting good goal tending and scoring right now. Marty in net could spell disaster.

Wait? It's better for a goalie to play a game in which his team is more likely to score? I had no idea.

Marty has played well against the Rags. Maybe he gets up more for those games, maybe he knows their tendencies better, but some of his best games this year have been Rags games. Throw in the fact that the ice will probably be sloppy, which should minimize everyone's skill, and this isn't a bad game to play him.

Edited by mouse, 20 January 2014 - 07:33 PM.

Sumus Legio

sguq.jpg

#20 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:50 PM

Wait? It's better for a goalie to play a game in which his team is more likely to score? I had no idea.

Marty has played well against the Rags. Maybe he gets up more for those games, maybe he knows their tendencies better, but some of his best games this year have been Rags games. Throw in the fact that the ice will probably be sloppy, which should minimize everyone's skill, and this isn't a bad game to play him.

Considering marty is letting up at least 1 soft bllsh!t goal a game, yea its important for him to play against weaker competition at this point. Be more of a fvcking smart ass, it seems all the marty apologists on here are.

Again the rangers are playing much MUCH better hockey than when marty faced them, there is no way he should get the start if this teams intention is making the playoffs. We just can't afford to drop any more games. The BEST possible team needs to be on the ice every night it can be, and that doesn't include marty anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users