74 replies to this topic

#41 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:00 AM

Marty starts this game - it's as much a lock as you can get.

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#42 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:11 AM

What about this situation: Marty starts and allows two softies within the first 7 minutes. You know the 30,000 Rangers fans will be all over him. Does he get pulled?  How embarrassing would that be?

BTW I think he should start but not because he is the best selection to win.

#43 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,616 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:47 AM

Or who knows, Marty might have a good game and the Devils will win.  It's basically a 50/50 proposition.  

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#44 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,178 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:25 PM

Or who knows, Marty might have a good game and the Devils will win.  It's basically a 50/50 proposition.

im banking my bucks on this.. were 3 and 0 playing the rags so far this year and we beat them in the pre season also so may as well call it 4-0... not to jynx anything but im pretty hopeful they will come out hard and do what they need to do
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#45 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:57 PM

Isles pulling off a big win made me confident again that the Rangers won't be THAT good on Sunday despite their recent run. They can't seem to play the big pressure rivalry games this year...

#46 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:46 PM

He might play well so there are two options but that doesn't make it a 50/50 proposition. 

That said, I'm more interested in the playoffs than Brodeur's farewell, but he gets the game and I understand that

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#47 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,178 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:35 PM

Everyone's talking about brodeurs farewell its almost a guarantee he is back here again next year ...might as well not be in total denial about it
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#48 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,616 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:45 PM

He might play well so there are two options but that doesn't make it a 50/50 proposition.

That said, I'm more interested in the playoffs than Brodeur's farewell, but he gets the game and I understand that

My very rough estimation is that he plays well in at least half of his games. I don't know if that's as good as other goalies (certainly not Schneider, who probably plays well in 80 percent of his games). But it does not mean that Marty is this automatic loss that people seem to think all of the sudden.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#49 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:50 PM

Everyone's talking about brodeurs farewell its almost a guarantee he is back here again next year ...might as well not be in total denial about it

That would be a mistake on our part and his part.  We have a transition this year, next year it's all Schneider or otherwise I could see him being fed up and either asking out this offseason or stringing along to UFA and bolting.

Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#50 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,246 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:55 AM

My very rough estimation is that he plays well in at least half of his games. I don't know if that's as good as other goalies (certainly not Schneider, who probably plays well in 80 percent of his games). But it does not mean that Marty is this automatic loss that people seem to think all of the sudden.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pretty much this.  Sure, he could go out and not play well, at which point some will say "See!  See!", but that same group will say "Why the hell is Marty starting?!" every time Marty gets a start, and not say much when he plays well.  Yeah, he's about 50-50 these days. 

That would be a mistake on our part and his part.  We have a transition this year, next year it's all Schneider or otherwise I could see him being fed up and either asking out this offseason or stringing along to UFA and bolting.

I'm really hoping Marty's not back.  It's been debated to death...some fans hate the idea of him ever wearing another team's jersey, so they'd rather have him back just so that doesn't happen.  Not me.  If all goes according to plan, Cory starts 55-65 games next season.  That's 17-27 games or so someone else will be starting next season.  Everyone's done the math...Marty will be 42 years old, has never been a backup before, likes to play, and probably won't ever really think of himself as a true backup...not to mention no one has any idea if he can do the job in the first place.  I'd rather have a backup here who KNOWS and accepts what his role would be, and isn't thinking about when he can take #1 spot whenever Cory has a little slump.  Marty should also hopefully realize that even the greats lose their battles to age, no matter how hard they work to stave it off.  Guys his age just don't tend to be terribly good at stopping pucks, with rare exceptions. 

I have nothing to base this on, but I have a feeling Lou is going to get Cory locked up pretty quickly this offseason (if Cory finishes with a sub 2.00 GAA and a save% approaching .930, I don't see what Lou has anything to gain by waiting or trying to lowball him...you know the guy is good, you don't need another year to be sure about it, and you don't have anyone in your system you feel can replace him...otherwise, you're not giving up a higher 1st-rounder for him), and will make a fair deal, at the longest possible term, meaning that if Marty was back, it won't be nearly as big of an issue.  Cory surely knows Marty won't be here much longer.   

The good thing is that, as long as Cory continues to play well (he won't continue to put up a 1.11 GAA and .960 save% like he has in his last 7 games, but no one's asking him to), and gets the bulk of the remaining starts, he'll go into next season as the undisputed #1 guy...even better would be if the Devils make the playoffs, and he starts every playoff game.  That would cement his status. 

So hopefully, next season Cory's locked up, and someone else is backing him up.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 23 January 2014 - 08:59 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#51 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,178 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:10 PM

if marty doesnt come back next year who do we end up with as a back up wedgewood?
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

#52 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,674 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:29 PM

if marty doesnt come back next year who do we end up with as a back up wedgewood?

Kinkaid is outplaying Wedgewood this year, but knowing Lou, it would be someone from outside the organization. Like a Clemmensen, Yann Danis, Al Montoya type most likely. Someone who can be relied on for a few starts, assuming the Devils are ready to give Schneider 60 starts or so.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#53 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,178 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:44 PM

Kinkaid is outplaying Wedgewood this year, but knowing Lou, it would be someone from outside the organization. Like a Clemmensen, Yann Danis, Al Montoya type most likely. Someone who can be relied on for a few starts, assuming the Devils are ready to give Schneider 60 starts or so.

to be completely honest...even though majority of the board here does not want it..iam almost certain as im sure most people here know whether they like it or not... martin will be back for one more..better just hope its not for anything more than one more.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

#54 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:25 PM

Kinkaid is better than Wedgewood.  So it'll be him.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#55 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,674 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:30 PM

to be completely honest...even though majority of the board here does not want it..iam almost certain as im sure most people here know whether they like it or not... martin will be back for one more..better just hope its not for anything more than one more.

Yeah, I meant if Marty isn't here. Right now I'd say that if Marty doesn't retire, he'll be a Devil. I just don't think Lou has it in him to let Marty walk. I also don't think Marty wants to play for any other team. I would hope that Lou does what's best for the team and that Marty can see that he's going the way of Brett Favre.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#56 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:35 PM

Yeah, I meant if Marty isn't here. Right now I'd say that if Marty doesn't retire, he'll be a Devil. I just don't think Lou has it in him to let Marty walk. I also don't think Marty wants to play for any other team. I would hope that Lou does what's best for the team and that Marty can see that he's going the way of Brett Favre.

As a Vikings fan, brett favre played his best statistical year at like 40 I believe it was. And the following year where we went 6-10 and he looked like sh!t, it was 100% beacuse of an extremley pourous Offensive Line. If Manning was playing behind that vikings o-line taking those kind of shots at his age, he would most certainly not be having the terrific year he's having with the broncos this year.

Point being Brett Favre was still very good at that age, his body just couldn't take being hit every other play. The sack in chicago where he got knocked out was the last straw.  He could still make all the throws and read a defense.

#57 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,246 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:51 PM

What gets overlooked is how good the Devils' backups have been since '08-'09 thru '11-'12, when they've been needed more.  Hedberg was pretty good in his first two seasons with the Devils, Clemmy put up Brodeur-like numbers when he had to fill in in 2008-09 (their rate numbers were almost identical). 

Those guys actually did nice jobs having to replace Marty when he was injured (especially Clemmensen).  Sad thing is, if Schneider were to get injured next season, I don't think Marty plays nearly as well in the extended "injury fill in" role as Clemmensen did in '08-'09, and I don't think he plays as well as Hedberg did as a backup and occasional #1 in '10-'11 and '11-'12.  The only time the Devils really had a disastrous backup situation in the Brodeur era that I can remember in recent history is last season.  I know Terreri was pretty bad his last two seasons with the Devils, but those teams were so good record-wise and he played so little that he wasn't really hurting them that much.      

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#58 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,674 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:58 PM

As a Vikings fan, brett favre played his best statistical year at like 40 I believe it was. And the following year where we went 6-10 and he looked like sh!t, it was 100% beacuse of an extremley pourous Offensive Line. If Manning was playing behind that vikings o-line taking those kind of shots at his age, he would most certainly not be having the terrific year he's having with the broncos this year.

Point being Brett Favre was still very good at that age, his body just couldn't take being hit every other play. The sack in chicago where he got knocked out was the last straw.  He could still make all the throws and read a defense.

When I say Brett Favre, I mean hanging on for the sake of hanging on, not making a decision on retirement, and making it hard for your team to make a decision. I always applauded Green Bay for making the decision to go with Rodgers, not because I thought Favre was done, but because it was time to take the next step. I also felt the Colts/Manning split was best for both.

#59 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,246 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:16 PM

When I say Brett Favre, I mean hanging on for the sake of hanging on, not making a decision on retirement, and making it hard for your team to make a decision. I always applauded Green Bay for making the decision to go with Rodgers, not because I thought Favre was done, but because it was time to take the next step. I also felt the Colts/Manning split was best for both.

Not to turn this into a football debate, but Colts/Manning was a perfect storm situation.  If the Colts don't play so badly in Manning's absense and don't get the top pick, Manning is probably back.  If a QB like Luck isn't available to the Colts, Manning is probably back.  But the situation that presented itself...drafting #1 and having the chance to take a young QB that pretty much everyone felt was a generational talent...was simply too good for that franchise to pass up. 

I think Marty's situation (if he insists on playing next season) could potentially become like Favre's, Messier's, and Magic Johnson's, where they don't realize that, as much as everyone is aware of how important they were to their teams, and the appreciation that goes with that, they don't seem to grasp that eventually their teams have to move on (especially as it becomes obvious that their skills are eroding).  Those guys can really put their franchises in awkward situations.  All three of the players I mentioned acted like their teams should just wait on them, like any decision regarding their playing futures was strictly up to them and them only.  MJ was actually toying with the idea of yet another comeback, when the Lakers finally told him, "Look, thanks, but no thanks this time, really."     

#30 FOREVER!

#60 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,616 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:50 PM

Not to turn this into a football debate, but Colts/Manning was a perfect storm situation.  If the Colts don't play so badly in Manning's absense and don't get the top pick, Manning is probably back.  If a QB like Luck isn't available to the Colts, Manning is probably back.  But the situation that presented itself...drafting #1 and having the chance to take a young QB that pretty much everyone felt was a generational talent...was simply too good for that franchise to pass up. 

I think Marty's situation (if he insists on playing next season) could potentially become like Favre's, Messier's, and Magic Johnson's, where they don't realize that, as much as everyone is aware of how important they were to their teams, and the appreciation that goes with that, they don't seem to grasp that eventually their teams have to move on (especially as it becomes obvious that their skills are eroding).  Those guys can really put their franchises in awkward situations.  All three of the players I mentioned acted like their teams should just wait on them, like any decision regarding their playing futures was strictly up to them and them only.  MJ was actually toying with the idea of yet another comeback, when the Lakers finally told him, "Look, thanks, but no thanks this time, really."     

I really am not worried about this getting awkward.  It would be one thing if a backup like Kinkaid unexpectedly played lights out.    In this case though, Lou traded a very valuable pick for Schneider, and, from what we've heard, has had his eye on Schneider for a while.  There has to be a plan in place as to how to handle Marty when his deal is over, and there's a good chance that Marty and Lou have already discussed it.  

I'll also go out on a limb and suggest that Lou probably agrees with a lot of people here that Marty is costing the team more wins than an average NHL goalie.  The word is that the Devils are hiring or have hired a stat guru who will probably tell Lou the exact same thing. 

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users