201 replies to this topic

#41 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,055 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:18 PM

I'm really confused by all the comments like these. There's been games played where the road conditions have been WAY worse then they are today, and snow falling MUCH heavier. I guess since the team isn't playing to our wonderful fanbase's standards this year it's just time to bitch and moan about everything possible.

Point has ALWAYS been, if both teams can get there, the officials can get there, the game will be played. It's never been different then any other year. 

That's not a hard and fast rule, just a general guideline.  The Flyers and Hurricanes were both 'there' and it still got canceled.  

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#42 Coorslight

Coorslight

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:20 PM

That's not a hard and fast rule, just a general guideline.  The Flyers and Hurricanes were both 'there' and it still got canceled.  

Never said it was a hard a fast rule, you are correct it's the general guideline. IDK why the Flyers cancelled their game except the fact that, that area is also expecting 4+ inches more of snow then Newark is.

1dun.jpg

#43 bodnar41

bodnar41

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:26 PM

I highly doubt the devils management would be the only ones responsible for canceling a game due to weather...

#44 Lateralous

Lateralous

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:28 PM

I hate to say it but the Devils are such a second class operation. I had to eat my tickets tonight since traveling from
philly just isn't feasible. Can't wait for the next time they call me looking to sell a ticket package. All stubhub for here on out.

#45 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:29 PM

Flyers did the right thing. SoE in each cities. Not safe to be out. It's standard practice and the right thing to do.

#46 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,920 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:31 PM

I highly doubt the devils management would be the only ones responsible for canceling a game due to weather...

The gov of the state issues a state of emergency, Devils brass phone the NHL office and say the game should be postponed as it's dangerous for the fans to get there and the Devils will take a revenue hit playing in front of a paltry crowd. Concessions will be weak.

I doubt the NHL would object

Edited by '7', 21 January 2014 - 06:32 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#47 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,619 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:34 PM

Mass transit is also a mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#48 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:38 PM

The Blues are a Western Conference team and it's much harder to schedule a make up game.  You have to find a suitable date for both teams that doesn't require a ridiculous amount of travel for St. Louis - that is not going to be easy.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#49 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:44 PM

my god i just heard deb say the blues already have 71 points... (dont know much about this team)... i hope this isnt a disaster here tonight.. also saw a interview with jagr from last game.. that man sounds pretty damn down and disappointed i hope he doesnt quit on this team they need him
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#50 Coorslight

Coorslight

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:55 PM

I hate to say it but the Devils are such a second class operation. I had to eat my tickets tonight since traveling from
philly just isn't feasible. Can't wait for the next time they call me looking to sell a ticket package. All stubhub for here on out.

Have you called them and asked about some sort of compensation or alternate game tickets? Or are you just assuming they're a$$holes and don't care thus calling them a second class organization without even finding out what options you have...

1dun.jpg

#51 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,951 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:56 PM

I'm sorry but there is no reason for this game to have been postponed. It normally takes me 25 mins to drive to the arena via the nj turnpike, it took me 35 mins and I wasn't even going fast. The roads were fine.

That being said there are under 1,000 people here at the moment haha

#52 Coorslight

Coorslight

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:01 PM

I'm sorry but there is no reason for this game to have been postponed. It normally takes me 25 mins to drive to the arena via the nj turnpike, it took me 35 mins and I wasn't even going fast. The roads were fine.

That being said there are under 1,000 people here at the moment haha

Thanks for the update Satans. I remember the first game my wife an I attended when we started dating was a Valentines day game in a snow storm. One of the most fun I've had at a Devils game. No concession lines was also good ;)

1dun.jpg

#53 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:01 PM

I live outside of Philly(Upper Darby) and yeah, I can understand why the Flyers postponed, blizzard or not. The roads down here are a joke and Regional Rail is a mess.

Who is in charge of cancelling games from the Devils, the GM or ownership?

Edited by Marv4Life, 21 January 2014 - 07:03 PM.

#54 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:09 PM

I live outside of Philly(Upper Darby) and yeah, I can understand why the Flyers postponed, blizzard or not. The roads down here are a joke and Regional Rail is a mess.

Who is in charge of cancelling games from the Devils, the GM or ownership?

Whom ever it is they were wrong IMO.

#55 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:11 PM

Fayne!!!

#56 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:11 PM

starting early thats how its done
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#57 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:12 PM

Carter!! Oh sh!t!!

#58 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:12 PM

and now one from carter oh yes
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

#59 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:13 PM

Good start, keep it up!

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#60 KovalClutch

KovalClutch