GDT 01/24/14: Capitals at Devils

Mike Brown

God this is bad. Okay so since you have those 6-8 points on the top of your head, name every single point right now. And how is it 6 to 8? If your so positive about those points wouldnt it be a definite amount, not an approximation? Lol are you sure about those 5 minutes, ARE YOU SURE ABOUT THOSE 5 MINUTES.

And by all means necessary ignore the games marty has won for us by standing on his head. You know any knowledgeable fan would APPRECIATE being able to see this legendary player every single game he has left, yet you cant seem to get him out of here quick enough. What an immature, unappreciative view you have on THE most important player in this teams history. Are you one of those people who became a fan when we got kovy or when we went to the scf? Not being a smartass im serious, because you have the mindset of one of those fans.

Again if you think if its easy to just sit martin brodeur then youre naive and clueless dude. Going into the season you should have known this is what it was going to be.

Mark fayne is MEDIOCRE. He was mediocre in 2012, hes the same now. He hasnt made the next step to a shutdown guy, he still makes dumb reads, dumb passes, but he makes up for it with very good plays sometimes. Thats an average defenseman. Harrold does the same thing but makes a few more mistakes defensively but brings much much more offensively.

I never said pdb was godlike, Im pointing out that him playing brodeur and gionta doesnt make him a worse coach. Hes done a great job of coaching this team since he toom over 3 years ago

I think your clueless if you think that sitting broduer for corey is even close to a hard decision. Look at their play. Sure their is legacy attached to it, but this should have been corey job a long time ago. The amount of points im throwing out are based on starts where he has played us out of a competitive game and in some cases played us out of a win, games like that blue jackets game a few weeks ago. Its variable, he has cost us some points. Using approximations is what im doing because I don't give a sh!t enough to wade through the games played this year to give you a specific number. But I watch every game, something I'm sure you don't if you believe corey and marty are remotely equal in their goal tending this year.  

You said it yourself, he's the most important person in our teams HISTORY. The thing about legends is, they are normally a past tense thing, no one wants to see a living legend outstay his welcome and put a sour taste in fans mouths, which is what would have happened if this sh!t with him playing over corey continued. I have no problem with him being the back up, I have a problem with him playing as the starter and potentially costing us a season (he is not consistent enough to be a starter that's the reality). You can live in the past, but I'm watching this years team not the cup winning teams of past. It's not like I'm calling marty a piece of sh!t, he's just not that good of a goalie anymore, and in the meantime we have a top goalie in his prime who did a lot of pine riding to start the season.

And as for that stupid baseless kovy remark? Let's assume I was a fan starting at the SCF and I hoped on the band wagon, I'm still here watching a pretty mediocre team religiously. Makes a lot of sense.

I want what's best for the team, I don't want to watch us consistently fielding a team that isn't giving us the best chance to win. Which with marty in net over corey, it most certainly isn't. I don't care what notions you have about the team and what we owe marty, you won't see me complaining about his contract or sh!t like drafting his son like some people do. Because he has earned that and more for what he's done here, but there should be no sacrifice in the product on the ice for him.

next, Mark Fayne is mediocre so he should sit for peter harrold? You are the clueless one my friend. Honestly don't say a word to be about being clueless when you think guys like Harrold should play over Fayne. Also fayne played large role on our defense that SCF year, I'm sorry you live in a revisionist history world, the greene-fayne pairing was far and away our best pairing and it wasn't just because of andy greene. That being said I believe fayne has regressed a bit given his treatment, and even if his ceiling his a 3rd pairing guy, he is far and away better than peter Harold.

Yes the same PDB that took a lottery team to the scf in his first year........................

They were a 'lottery team' without Parise, and with one of the handful of worst coaches in NHL history.  Pete didn't do some great restoration job, the talent was there.  They even went 28-10-3 in the second half of '10-11 with the same group minus Parise and with JL instead of Pete.

Edited by NJDevs4978

tonight made me realize again just how badly i hate sitting with the diablos.. sat in 122 my buddy has a pair of season and my god..those people up there just yell out the dumbest stuff i swear.. i can even tell you how many times i heard the word "omaha" like i was at a football game

The game should've been 3-0 after 25-30 minutes but I'll take the win. Whitney was terrible and if other guys have to 'seize the opportunity' when they get a shot then Whitney should get in the car and drive back to Albany.

I understand that Marty will most likely get the call for Yankee Stadium but now is a time to ride Cory since there are no back-to-backs. 

Edited by Marshall

you know your goalie is good when the only thing he's letting in is deflections :D, stats like those paint the picture as well though!

He's 2nd in GAA (1.84) and 4th in save% (.928).  Considering that his career save% is also .928, there's not much reason to think they'll be a big dropoff either...he won't keep up what he's done over his last 8 GP (.961 save%, 1.09 GAA), but he should still be better than NHL average most of the time. 

It'll be interesting to see if PDB is still locked into splitting back-to-backs (though, in fairness, PDB did give Schneider both ends of a back-to-back on January 10/11).  Devils have two of them coming up before the Olympic break:  January 30/31 (@Dallas, @Nashville) and February 7/8 (Edmonton, @Washington).  Wouldn't surprise me to see Marty get Nashville and Edmonton (along with the Ranger game), unless Marty really struggles on Sunday.   

The Diablos are annoying, but they do the best they can to create some sort of atmosphere, so they have my respect for what they try to do.

ANYWAY, great game by Cory.  Great time at the Rock after a long week for interning.

Kind of agree, know what they're trying to do, but they are annoying...they need to learn a sense of timing, and how to let a game breathe a little (starting with Mr. Vuvuzela).  If I'm a fan from an opposing team coming to watch a game, I see the Diablos and think they're pretty lame.

He's 2nd in GAA (1.84) and 4th in save% (.928).  Considering that his career save% is also .928, there's not much reason to think they'll be a big dropoff either...he won't keep up what he's done over his last 8 GP (.961 save%, 1.09 GAA), but he should still be better than NHL average most of the time. 

It'll be interesting to see if PDB is still locked into splitting back-to-backs (though, in fairness, PDB did give Schneider both ends of a back-to-back on January 10/11).  Devils have two of them coming up before the Olympic break:  January 30/31 (@Dallas, @Nashville) and February 7/8 (Edmonton, @Washington).  Wouldn't surprise me to see Marty get Nashville and Edmonton (along with the Ranger game), unless Marty really struggles on Sunday.   

He also gave Cory a back-to-back in late November although that was after he'd unconscionably benched him three straight games following his LA performance so no Marty doesn't automatically have to play in them...but I do think he'll get one of the games next week when we have four games in six days on the road (I'm not counting tomorrow as a 'home' game :P).

Part of me thinks he'll just ride Cory in that latter back-to-back before the break because there's three days off between the Colorado game and Friday with an extended break after, but part of me thinks he'll play Marty just cause he doesn't want him to go an entire month without playing.

The game should've been 3-0 after 25-30 minutes but I'll take the win. Whitney was terrible and if other guys have to 'seize the opportunity' when they get a shot then Whitney should get in the car and drive back to Albany.

I understand that Marty will most likely get the call for Yankee Stadium but now is a time to ride him since there are no back-to-backs.

Agree with all of the above.

Whitney looked like an AHL player that didn't belong. I was hesitant on his size alone before the game, but that was just bad.

I really wish Schneider starts tomorrow but I expect Brodeur to.

If Brodeur starts, I still like our chances to win as he seems to take it to another level for special games, but you can't deny Schneider's streak at the moment.

Plus our trouble is what team in front turns up. Last night was not good, too many errors and turnovers.

Great game by Schneider and decent game from the forwards.  Still, the defense has a couple issues - they should not be giving up this many shots to an Ovechkinless Capitals team even with the lead for most of the game.  And Salvador-Volchenkov should never close out a game - that's utter insanity.

Whitney did absolutely nothing right tonight, I wouldn't be shocked if he went right back down, and if he plays like this again on Sunday I'll be shocked if he is still here.

He had one decent breakout move and pass along the halfboards, but thats about all I could see. other than that he stood out like a sore thumb. ...only smaller

Thought clowe played well for two periods, then had troubles clearing again which led to their goal.  thought carter was bad, chico credited sal for getting on that centering pass and shot from point blank slot, who's he kidding  sal was sleeping, then was fixing his helmet as another pass wizzed by him

Cory was flat out solid

Had the pleasure of meeting John Carlson's mother in a beer line. Sweetest, most kind person I've spoken to in a long time. She specifcally mentioned how badly they wanted NJ to take John in the draft, but she's obviously very happy with how everything has turned out. We also spoke about NJ high school hockey and the Olympics; very cool experience.

I was really pulling for Clowe to put away the game with the empty netter at the end. The guy has 11 points in his last 14 games since returning from injury. He's earning his paycheck for the time being.

he looks like a completely different dude since hes been back im really digging it ... although not sure how you miss a wide open net with no one around you.

I think your clueless if you think that sitting broduer for corey is even close to a hard decision. Look at their play. Sure their is legacy attached to it, but this should have been corey job a long time ago. The amount of points im throwing out are based on starts where he has played us out of a competitive game and in some cases played us out of a win, games like that blue jackets game a few weeks ago. Its variable, he has cost us some points. Using approximations is what im doing because I don't give a sh!t enough to wade through the games played this year to give you a specific number. But I watch every game, something I'm sure you don't if you believe corey and marty are remotely equal in their goal tending this year.

You said it yourself, he's the most important person in our teams HISTORY. The thing about legends is, they are normally a past tense thing, no one wants to see a living legend outstay his welcome and put a sour taste in fans mouths, which is what would have happened if this sh!t with him playing over corey continued. I have no problem with him being the back up, I have a problem with him playing as the starter and potentially costing us a season (he is not consistent enough to be a starter that's the reality). You can live in the past, but I'm watching this years team not the cup winning teams of past. It's not like I'm calling marty a piece of sh!t, he's just not that good of a goalie anymore, and in the meantime we have a top goalie in his prime who did a lot of pine riding to start the season.

And as for that stupid baseless kovy remark? Let's assume I was a fan starting at the SCF and I hoped on the band wagon, I'm still here watching a pretty mediocre team religiously. Makes a lot of sense.

I want what's best for the team, I don't want to watch us consistently fielding a team that isn't giving us the best chance to win. Which with marty in net over corey, it most certainly isn't. I don't care what notions you have about the team and what we owe marty, you won't see me complaining about his contract or sh!t like drafting his son like some people do. Because he has earned that and more for what he's done here, but there should be no sacrifice in the product on the ice for him.

next, Mark Fayne is mediocre so he should sit for peter harrold? You are the clueless one my friend. Honestly don't say a word to be about being clueless when you think guys like Harrold should play over Fayne. Also fayne played large role on our defense that SCF year, I'm sorry you live in a revisionist history world, the greene-fayne pairing was far and away our best pairing and it wasn't just because of andy greene. That being said I believe fayne has regressed a bit given his treatment, and even if his ceiling his a 3rd pairing guy, he is far and away better than peter Harold.

Its like talking to a wall, you think its cut and dry you can just sit brodeur. Well youre clueless because someone of that importance cant just have his job taken from him. Just like if say the yankees traded for a SS they cant just sit derek jeter. Although the dh makes it easier.

Thank you so so much for proving that you have hollow beliefs when you say brodeur has cost us 6-8 points. They're on the top of your head yet you cant name them right away. You religiously watch the team, yet you dont want to sift through the games to find what games brodeur cost us. Wow you make an excellent point bud. Stop acting like I watch less games than you lol im pretty sure 98% of the people on this website watch every game start to end, myself included. Dont think youre mr super fan because youre a diehard, believe me, everyone on here is.

You love twisting words, I never said fayne should sit for harrold night in and night out. I said harrold isnt as big of a downgrade as you make it out to be. I agree fayne is better, but hes not that much better dude. He still makes bonehead reads that cost this team goals and scoring chances. Hes solid defensively, very below average offensively. Harrold is the opposite. As good as fayne was in the scf playoffs that year harrold was just as good. They are both middle of the pack dmen now. I agree fayne should play over harrold but I dont think its a big downgrade putting harrold out there a game or two. We both know though that we have too many dmen on this team and harrold should probably be the first to go. But if they send harrold down and trade fayne the devils would not be a worse team.

As far as salvador goes, its real hard to sit your captain. He shouldnt have been named captain to begin with. Ill still take him over harrold and fayne though.