558 replies to this topic

#401 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:17 PM

The Brodeur of old wouldn't have had to worry about liabilities such as Volchenkov running him over and having his ass facing the shot and the complete and utter slowness of Salvador and the cluelessness of Fayne. As much as Brodeur could have/should have gotten one or two....there's no way he's walking into the HOF behind that kind of defense his whole career.

He should have gotten all 6 imo.  It's not a matter of one or two goals.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#402 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,716 posts

I'd like to know which goal was not stoppable.

Well, the one where his defenseman was plowing him over… or either of the uncovered one-timer 2 on 1's… or the one Fayne tipped in… 

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#403 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,880 posts

ESPN - Devils G Martin Brodeur says "worst ice I ever played hockey on" after loss to Rangers at Yankee Stadium

Bro you're a goalie. Quit complaining about the ice, there were plenty of skaters that had to tough it out

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#404 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:18 PM

Anyway this is what happens when you don't play well and Brodeur is in net - the Rangers are fast and NJ made a lot of bad plays that helped that speed out.  We can only hope this is what gets the coaching staff to see what a lot of others are seeing - Brodeur is through and should play, at most, in back to back games the rest of the season.  

I know all of you would think that I wouldn't agree with the above remarks, but I do  +1000

#405 mrthemike

mrthemike

Cursed_Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:20 PM

ESPN - Devils G Martin Brodeur says "worst ice I ever played hockey on" after loss to Rangers at Yankee Stadium

Gross comment. Shifting blame away from himself. They all played on the same ice. 

Sole Posted Image of Emmy Rossum

#406 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:21 PM

He should have gotten all 6 imo.  It's not a matter of one or two goals.

Should have? Doubtful. Don't know how anyone can say he should've saved all 6 of those. But could he have? Yes. None of them were unstoppable. If he saves even 1 or 2 of those then it's a totally different game. Marty let the team down to make it 3-2 and didn't bail them out even once to give them confidence back when that's usually his specialty. It was really tough to watch today having seen Marty do exactly that for his whole career.

Edited by PWW, 26 January 2014 - 06:22 PM.

believe-devs.jpg

#407 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:22 PM

Well, the one where his defenseman was plowing him over… or either of the uncovered one-timer 2 on 1's… or the one Fayne tipped in… 

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on the first one.  But he didn't get plowed over, he merely got nudged.

The 3 on 1 goal wasn't a one time.  Zuc skated the puck in, and shoveled the puck in.

The Nash goal was a pass that Fayne tipped.  But it was going like 30mph.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#408 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,716 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:25 PM

The 3 on 1 wasn't some sort of amazing passing play.  He had enough time to get to his post.  Zuccarello simply snuck the puck in past him.

It's still a 3 on 1 though… As in, there are 3 different options you need to think about. Only in Devil land is a pass from one side of the goal to the other a 'stoppable shot'. I'm not saying he played well. He was bad, but if any goalie makes that save it's on plays of the week. 

This is just the usual post-game witch hunt, where 2 or 3 players are dragged into the streets because the team lost.

Edited by Devil Dan 56, 26 January 2014 - 06:27 PM.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#409 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:28 PM

Should have? Doubtful. Don't know how anyone can say he should've saved all 6 of those. But could he have? Yes. None of them were unstoppable. If he saves even 1 or 2 of those then it's a totally different game. Marty let the team down to make it 3-2 and didn't bail them out even once to give them confidence back when that's usually his specialty. It was really tough to watch today having seen Marty do exactly that for his whole career.

The 2nd Rags goal belongs in the "should have" category.

I do think a butterfly goalie stops all of those goals though.  I'd say that all of the goals were a result of bad positioning more than anything.

It's still a 3 on 1 though… As in, there are 3 different options you need to think about. Only in Devil land is a pass from one side of the goal to the other a 'stoppable shot'. I'm not saying he played well. He was bad, but if any goalie makes that save it's on plays of the week. 

I get what you're saying, but it's definitely a goal he could have stopped.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#410 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,737 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:28 PM

well...

www.SterioDesign.com

#411 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:29 PM

well...

It happens.  It's one game.  Just burn the tape, and focus on the Blues on Tuesday who will be looking for revenge.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#412 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,716 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:35 PM

The 2nd Rags goal belongs in the "should have" category.

I do think a butterfly goalie stops all of those goals though.  I'd say that all of the goals were a result of bad positioning more than anything.

I get what you're saying, but it's definitely a goal he could have stopped.

Yeah, he 'could' have. But that doesn't mean it isn't a good scoring chance. Assuming any goalie, be it Marty, Cory, or Hasek in his prime, should be stopping 2 on 1's, 3 on 1's, and deflections from his own team is just placing blame and ignoring the real problems. There shouldn't be that many odd man chances and our d-men should figure out how to block or not block shots. 

#413 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,737 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:38 PM

First, I'm sure glad I didn't pay those ridicules prices to see this game. Also, funny how people want to scream about how bad we are...were you screaming when we were up 3-2? I put a significant portion of blame on the coaching staff. I love Marty, but to leave him in as long as we did, was bad coaching.
For those ripping Lou, let me remind you that this past off season, and probably last one too, Lou was hamstrung by the ownership situation. He was clearly limited in what he could commit to based on the fact the team was for sale. In hindsight, I'll bet the whole Kovalchuck situation was the result of the Devs finances. It's ridicules to start screaming about Lou.

first of all, it's NOT because of the financial situation that lou simply refuse to talk to players during the season SO we kept guys like clarkson who could have got a "decent" return (based on what Clowe got from the sharks which were also in the race for the playoffs so stop the excuse now folks) Lou didnt do certain moves simply because he wanted to do things his way. No cause he was strapped. I've said it before but clarkson was the perfect example. Any GM would have sat with the guy at least before the trade deadline to know his demand so that he knows if he'd be able/willing to keep him or not. Lou simply DENIED that part of the process and gave up on the negociations only when it was too late.

Sure we got clower which may be a better player than Clarkson, but how 'bout clowe and 2 2nd nd pick or wtv? cause with simply a simple discusssion we could have had that. But we didnt cause Lou didnt want to talk during the season.

Edit: even more if you know youre cash strapped... then you go the extra mile and make sure you can stack on picks and prospect and don't overpay for guys. Leaving players and yourself in the dark until after the season (when its too late) is simply not the right way to deal with things when youre in a corner

Edited by SterioDesign, 26 January 2014 - 06:43 PM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#414 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:39 PM

deflections, kicks, odd mans, and its all Marty's fault.  This is asinine.  He didn't play great but he's not the reason they lost.  The Devils had Lundqvist on the ropes in the first and they let him off.  This is what happens in those types of situations.  The rest of the game they were like pylons.  The team sucked!  

#415 mikepeluso8

mikepeluso8

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:40 PM

Bro you're a goalie. Quit complaining about the ice, there were plenty of skaters that had to tough it out

I saw that and thought, "WOW what a cop out"

DIE HARD DEVILS FAN SINCE '90

#416 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,716 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:43 PM

first of all, it's NOT because of the financial situation that lou simply refuse to talk to players during the season SO we kept guys like clarkson who could have got a "decent" return (based on what Clowe got from the sharks which were also in the race for the playoffs so stop the excuse now folks) Lou didnt do certain moves simply because he wanted to do things his way. No cause he was strapped. I've said it before but clarkson was the perfect example. Any GM would have sat with the guy at least before the trade deadline to know his demand so that he knows if he'd be able/willing to keep him or not. Lou simply DENIED that part of the process and gave up on the negociations only when it was too late.

Sure we got clower which may be a better player than Clarkson, but how 'bout clowe and 2 2nd nd pick or wtv? cause with simply a simple discusssion we could have had that. But we didnt cause Lou didnt want to talk during the season.

Oh god, on top of everything else, we have this again… Devils were in the playoff run at the trade deadline last year. It's been said again and again. You don't trade one of your top scorers if you think you can make the playoffs. 

#417 mikepeluso8

mikepeluso8

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:48 PM

Roenick has gone off the deep end.

Met him in Hoboken at City Bistro over the summer right before I moved to LA.  Dude is funny as hell and as random as hell in person in casual conversation.  First thing he says to me, "brooooooo, LAAAAAAAAA...good luck mannnnnn....I almost got divorced 6 times because of that (effing) place".  He was cool and I became a bigger fan after chatting with him that night...super approachable, laid back, kinda douchey but funny as hell.

Edited by mikepeluso8, 26 January 2014 - 06:57 PM.

DIE HARD DEVILS FAN SINCE '90

#418 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:48 PM

Anyway this is what happens when you don't play well and Brodeur is in net - the Rangers are fast and NJ made a lot of bad plays that helped that speed out.  We can only hope this is what gets the coaching staff to see what a lot of others are seeing - Brodeur is through and should play, at most, in back to back games the rest of the season.  

And we need to inject more speed at forward for next season.

Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#419 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,737 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:50 PM

Oh god, on top of everything else, we have this again… Devils were in the playoff run at the trade deadline last year. It's been said again and again. You don't trade one of your top scorers if you think you can make the playoffs. 

Sharks were also in the race for the playoffs and traded Clowe. So fvck off with that godamnit stupid excuse to have Lou's back. Was it the right move for the sharks? yes. Was is the wrong move for NJ when it was all said and done? no.

Thats it thats all.

Edited by SterioDesign, 26 January 2014 - 06:58 PM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#420 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,546 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:51 PM

The Brodeur of old wouldn't have had to worry about liabilities such as Volchenkov running him over and having his ass facing the shot and the complete and utter slowness of Salvador and the cluelessness of Fayne. As much as Brodeur could have/should have gotten one or two....there's no way he's walking into the HOF behind that kind of defense his whole career.

Yeah that's true, it's not like the Devils played Kevin Dean and Lyle Odelein and Colin White when he first came up and the end of Daneyko's career (and indeed maybe Daneyko himself) - it was all HOFers back there, all the time.  

I guess the defense must be way better for Schneider since Schneider is putting up HOF level numbers so far here.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users