#461 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:48 PM

quite embarassing to see marty blaming the ice conditions now... brrr

I hate when quotes are taken out if context. The question to him was probably along the lines of: "Marty, how was the ice conditions today?", not "Marty, why did you let in 6 goals."

People see the quote and assume he was blaming the ice. I'd like to hear the entire conversation to understand what exactly he was responding to.

#462 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:51 PM

I would argue the Parise was the driving force on that line and the others were hitch hikers.

well, he needs to start being more of a driving force because he's back to being a 60-65 point player now.  and btw, Elias was the best player on that line by a mile.  Arnott was a 50 point player.   I'm starting to think you didn't actually watch alot of this stuff.   Elias almost had a fvcking 100 point season during the dead puck era.... playing 18 minutes a night

Edited by maxpower, 26 January 2014 - 07:52 PM.

#463 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,037 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:58 PM

ESPN - Devils G Martin Brodeur says "worst ice I ever played hockey on" after loss to Rangers at Yankee Stadium

Bro you're a goalie. Quit complaining about the ice, there were plenty of skaters that had to tough it out

Yeah, that's a lame excuse. He really just sounds like he's making excuses with that one. Everyone played on the same ice.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#464 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,884 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:58 PM

Yeah there's no way Parise's a better player than Elias.  He's a marginally better goal scorer, though not a particularly varied one since all of Parise's goals come within a 5x5 box and Elias is better everywhere else.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#465 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,067 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:05 PM

Parise better than Elias?  Oh boy, that's rich. They're close, but Elias has an easy edge because his career is nearly over but he has maintained an incredibly high level of play, whereas Parise has likely past his peak.  So for Parise to be as good as Elias, he has to keep being as good as he is for as long as Elias did.  Good luck doing that.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#466 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 16,037 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:07 PM

This too...so long as you offer Cory an eight-year deal (which there's no real reason not to assuming he doesn't nosedive the rest of the season) there's really no reason he wouldn't be signed barring getting bitten by the 'I want to go home' disease.

Thankfully Boston locked up Rask, so they don't need a goalie lol.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#467 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,112 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:14 PM

8 years at a $7m cap hit is what I'd do for Cory.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#468 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:17 PM

Not attacking Marty, but goalies need to save you some games, and there was a stretch in the second where Marty could have saved at least SOME shots, which makes it a different game. He gave up 3 goals in a row, a couple of which went through his legs. A couple times, Marty was slow coming across the goal mouth, and never got his feet set, which meant he couldn't adjust to deflections. If the shots were unpredictable, I'd get it, but everyone knew who was going to be shooting, and the ice was slow enough that the passes weren't exactly crisp. I don't want to beat on Marty here, but he was off, and IMO he was off because he's nowhere near the athlete he used to be. This hurts, because we should love Marty, and we're used to him being great, and because this game was supposed to be his swan song, but it's also good, because if we play Schneider for the stretch run, this doesn't happen again, at least assuming most of the defensive breakdowns were flukes (an assumption I make because they haven't made this type of mistake with any frequency in awhile). We witnessed a perfect storm of sh!t. Hopefully, we learn from it. Benching Sal or Volch, preferably Sal, for Merrill or Larsson would be another good lesson, though I don't see DeBo going that far.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#469 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,274 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:19 PM

Hey, the Devils and Brodeur made the front page of ESPN.

http://espn.go.com/n...-was-worst-ever

What a fvcking dumb headline. Maybe a dumb comment too, but this is a non-story. Shocking that the worst ice he ever played an NHL game on came in the 1 game he didn't play in an NHL arena.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#470 devils102

devils102

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:22 PM

8 years at a $7m cap hit is what I'd do for Cory.

I hate long term deals after Kovi and hopefully Schneider feels the same after getting screwed over by the Luogo contract. 

There's few players that are as good as they were 8 years ago. And there's few teams that are good as they were 8 years ago. Too risky for both sides.

I realize some players require long term deals... But if a guy won't be your friend unless you sign an 8-year-deal... then he's not really your friend.

Edited by devils102, 26 January 2014 - 08:22 PM.

Posted Image

#471 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:34 PM

I hate long term deals after Kovi and hopefully Schneider feels the same after getting screwed over by the Luogo contract. 

There's few players that are as good as they were 8 years ago. And there's few teams that are good as they were 8 years ago. Too risky for both sides.

I realize some players require long term deals... But if a guy won't be your friend unless you sign an 8-year-deal... then he's not really your friend.

don't think we are in much of a position to worry about guys taking breaks for us. We need to keep cory here or we will be dogsh!t for the next 8 years.

#472 pumpkin cutter

pumpkin cutter

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:42 PM

i stopped watching after it was 3-3. I know that we didn't win. Hopefully  they put their sh!t together and soon. 

#473 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,943 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:43 PM

Devils are 10-5-5 in their last 20 GP.  They were 5-1-2 in their last 8 before this mess.  Today sucked something fierce, but it is just one loss.   

Anyone who wants to blame Marty 100% for this loss isn't seeing the whole picture.  Plenty of blame to go around today.  That being said, I really hope more than ever that Marty stops thinking about playing next year, and retires after this season.  Like I've said, Marty will probably always think he still has it in him to be what he was.  He doesn't.  He may have some good games left in him, but good luck guessing when he'll have them. 

We've known that the Cory Schneider Era was going to start before much longer, but this is the game that slammed the door shut on the Marty Brodeur Era.  Like I said, I don't blame Marty for everything that went wrong today, but from here on out, he can't ever be thought of as a 1B here again, only as a distant #2.  This is Cory's time now.  Just ride him.     

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#474 mrthemike

mrthemike

Cursed_Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:51 PM

Devils are 10-5-5 in their last 20 GP.  They were 5-1-2 in their last 8 before this mess.  Today sucked something fierce, but it is just one loss.   

Anyone who wants to blame Marty 100% for this loss isn't seeing the whole picture.  Plenty of blame to go around today.  That being said, I really hope more than ever that Marty stops thinking about playing next year, and retires after this season.  Like I've said, Marty will probably always think he still has it in him to be what he was.  He doesn't.  He may have some good games left in him, but good luck guessing when he'll have them. 

We've known that the Cory Schneider Era was going to start before much longer, but this is the game that slammed the door shut on the Marty Brodeur Era.  Like I said, I don't blame Marty for everything that went wrong today, but from here on out, he can't ever be thought of as a 1B here again, only as a distant #2.  This is Cory's time now.  Just ride him.     

Pretty much agree with this.

Sole Posted Image of Emmy Rossum

#475 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,403 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:52 PM

pretty much, i feel the same that the loss is not on Brodeur but this decision today was obviously made based on feelings and the whole chabang... but seeing the results its pretty damn fair to justify that i has to be the last time it comes in play in any decisions. There's no way to know if we would have won with Cory in net but still, Brodeur is not the #1 anymore, thats as clear as day

www.SterioDesign.com

#476 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,067 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:00 PM

I just don't have any faith in management or coaching to do this.  There's 29 games left.  Schneider should get 22 of them at a minimum - probably closer to 25.  Somehow I feel like he ends up with 18 or 19.  Until I hear DeBoer say 'Schneider is our #1 goalie', I'm not going to be surprised when Brodeur gets the odd start here and there.

Edited by Triumph, 26 January 2014 - 09:02 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#477 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,943 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:01 PM

pretty much, i feel the same that the loss is not on Brodeur but this decision today was obviously made based on feelings and the whole chabang... but seeing the results its pretty damn fair to justify that i has to be the last time it comes in play in any decisions. There's no way to know if we would have won with Cory in net but still, Brodeur is not the #1 anymore, thats as clear as day

That was Marty's last thank-you bone, and I understood completely why it was thrown, and agreed 100% with the decision.  But no more bones. 

At this point, as he's still going to start some games, I hope the Devils do what they can to protect him and themselves, and try their best to put him in against lesser teams.  Kinkaid is now struggling for Albany, Wedge clearly isn't ready, and no way the Devils dream of embarrassing Marty by bringing in a backup, so they'll have to try to spot Marty in games that give the Devils a chance to win.  At this point, if the Devils go NHL .500 in Marty's remaining starts, I'll happily sign up for that. 

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#478 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,943 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:05 PM

I just don't have any faith in management or coaching to do this.  There's 29 games left.  Schneider should get 22 of them at a minimum - probably closer to 25.  Somehow I feel like he ends up with 18 or 19.

They can't ignore this anymore Tri.  Marty had a .901 save% last season and is down to .899 this season.  The sample is pretty large.  The 50-game surge I've repeatedly brought up ended almost 18 months ago.  They have no right to be foolish about this.  There's a guy who is playing light-years better right now, who's in his prime.  I couldn't agree more, at least 22 games for Schneider going forward.  If the Devils blow this, they have no one to blame but themselves.  Marty has no more bones coming to him (at least, he shouldn't).

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 26 January 2014 - 09:06 PM.

#30 FOREVER!

#479 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:10 PM

They can't ignore this anymore Tri.  Marty had a .901 save% last season and is down to .899 this season.  The sample is pretty large.  The 50-game surge I've repeatedly brought up ended almost 18 months ago.  They have no right to be foolish about this.  There's a guy who is playing light-years better right now, who's in his prime.  I couldn't agree more, at least 22 games for Schneider going forward.  If the Devils blow this, they have no one to blame but themselves.  Marty has no more bones coming to him (at least, he shouldn't).

Depending on playoff implications/if we are out of the race, etc....this will change the thought process of the starters

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#480 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:12 PM

Yeah that's true, it's not like the Devils played Kevin Dean and Lyle Odelein and Colin White when he first came up and the end of Daneyko's career (and indeed maybe Daneyko himself) - it was all HOFers back there, all the time.  

I guess the defense must be way better for Schneider since Schneider is putting up HOF level numbers so far here.

Besides pulling random names for effect, you could do a lot worse as a goaltender then those players.

This is a "chicken or the egg" argument at it's core. Is Brodeur's success an indictment of his individual talent or is it more a direct result of the players and system he played with/under? I'm sure the day he retires, this will be brought up in retrospect of his career.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users