558 replies to this topic

#501 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:21 AM

Scary thought. I'm hoping Lou and PDB are smarter than that. Even if PDB doesn't believe in save%, he should believe in Cory being better. If he can't see that, he shouldn't be coaching this team anymore.

Neither Lou or Deboer know what they are doing. The old Lou never would have allowed Brodeur to keep this charade up. Hopefully once Brodeur retires this offseason Lou does as well as has been the rumored promise he made to Brodeur on his previous contract that he'd stay as long as Brodeur did. Perhaps that's why Lou keeps allowing this nonsense.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#502 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:48 AM

I'm willing to give PDB a pass on that (this was going to be a difficult transition), as long as it's now Schneider who gets the longer leash...as in, if Cory has a meh game, he gets the next one to bounce back.  Or if Marty plays well in a spot start, he doesn't automatically get the next one.   

Well, who played after Marty put up the W in Montreal?

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#503 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,470 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:49 AM

I know, but I still wonder.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#504 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:50 AM

I know, but I still wonder.

I wouldn't worry about who is the de facto starter and who will get the longer leash from now on. PDB isn't that incompetent. 

believe2.jpg

#505 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:52 AM

Im going to approach this as "oh well, its marty's last year"  he certainly isnt playing like a #1 NHL goalie right now, the game has moved on to the tall butterfly. the acrobatic highlights were fun but give me a "quiet, space filler" . and I retract my "backup offer" to marty. he's clearly not a spot start goalie at this point.  I felt sorry for him yesterday, but Im only going to feel sorry this year! next year he better be gone.  btw, yesterday was just one game, the boys need to get back on the ice fast and put it behind them once jagr thaws out

#506 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,435 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:59 AM

That was simply because he shouldnt have played that game in MTL technically it should have been Schneider so we already knew Cory had the next game

www.SterioDesign.com

#507 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,314 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:02 AM

Awful 2nd and 3rd period. The game looked so so promising after 1.  It was a huge disappointment..  We have a surplus of D men and they all blow. Volchenkov, who we and I especially chastised after last season, has been our best D. 

Marty gave up a few softies, but no way was this all on him.  I personally, would have pulled Marty after 4 or even 5-3.  We're not making the playoffs, guys.. It hurts to come to that realization, but we're not good enough.  We need a goal scorer. We don't have one. 

If Cory gets the bulk of the starts I believe we can squeak into the postseason

He definitely got a longer leash, no question, and sometimes unfairly so.  I'm willing to give PDB a pass on that (this was going to be a difficult transition), as long as it's now Schneider who gets the longer leash...as in, if Cory has a meh game, he gets the next one to bounce back.  Or if Marty plays well in a spot start, he doesn't automatically get the next one.   

This is the solution IMHO

Cory needs to get the lion's share of the starts, regardless if he has a bad outing or Marty has a great one

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#508 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,148 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:23 AM

This is still only 62 games over a full season,, and Brodeur started today.  The split needs to be starker than that.  Brodeur should get 1 game before the season stops - Nashville on the road.  That's it.  I can guarantee he will get 2 games coming up before the Olympic break.

i agree, but only because they've got two weeks off. he'll get one of the caps/oilers games. so 4/2 split to cory. unless cory stays red hot and then, perhaps, debo just rides him.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

Posted Image
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
Shameless Business Plug - Shop at Capitol Lighting and
1-800lighting.com - Use code NJDEVS10 for 10% OFF

#509 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,324 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:34 AM

Yes and no.  The turn has started partly because Cory has been SO lights-out lately that he hasn't given PDB any choice.  What happens if Cory has a meh game and gives up four goals?  (This happens to everyone eventually.)  I would hope PDB doesn't go running to Marty under such circumstances, but sadly I can absolutely see him doing that.  And I'll be beyond infuriated if he does.   

Agree, but I get the feeling Marty gets the Oilers too. 

We saw what happened last time and Brodeur was a hot mess and let in softy after softy as we blew a 3-0 lead. Brodeur blew the game completely at 4-3 and only a miraculous shorthanded goal late got it to 4-4. Brodeur then proceeded to embarrass himself in the shootout.

Edmonton is a fast team...Brodeur can't handle that. He doesn't have the reflexes anymore.

Edited by '7', 27 January 2014 - 09:35 AM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#510 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:50 AM

Does anyone know where I can get some of the Stadium Series gear like the wool hats the players and PDB were wearing yesterday and those Devils socks the players were wearing before their practice? Does the Den have that stuff?

#511 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:01 AM

Does anyone know where I can get some of the Stadium Series gear like the wool hats the players and PDB were wearing yesterday and those Devils socks the players were wearing before their practice? Does the Den have that stuff?

Not sure where you live, but the Stadium Shop in the Gateway Center in Newark carries a ton of Devils stuff and is good for having things like those hats (I doubt you'll find the socks though.  The Den might have them too, but I don't remember seeing those hats when I was in there the other night.

Posted Image

#512 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:58 AM

They NEED to sell the authentic Edge Stadium Series throwbacks. NEED TO. It pisses me off we can't buy these. Are they that dumb?

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#513 Blown01NJ

Blown01NJ

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:23 AM

I went to the game and had a good time, but the last thing I want to do is spend money to remember that clusterfvck of a game.

-Putting that bread and butter all over the toast.

#514 CHIP72

CHIP72

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:25 AM

I've got to say, that jacket Deboer was wearing during the game yesterday (actually the jackets worn by both head coaches) was pretty sharp.

#515 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,204 posts

Well, I personally can't wait until tomorrow so we can be rid of this/these discussions.

believe2.jpg

#516 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

If Marty retires this offseason, what do you think the Devils do about a backup? Kinkaid seems like the only option of the prospects, but I'm not sure he's ready. There will be some free agents (Gustavsson, Scrivens, Khudobin), but some of these guys are probably looking for starting jobs.

#517 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,494 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:30 AM

I went to the game and had a good time, but the last thing I want to do is spend money to remember that clusterfvck of a game.

Yeah pretty much.  I walked through the store after the game and kinda just laughed at the prices of some of the stuff.  Forget that - I already paid $12 for my 'souvenir' cup.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#518 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 26,889 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:34 AM

If Marty retires this offseason, what do you think the Devils do about a backup? Kinkaid seems like the only option of the prospects, but I'm not sure he's ready. There will be some free agents (Gustavsson, Scrivens, Khudobin), but some of these guys are probably looking for starting jobs.

Ray Emery wouldn't be terrible.  Everyone you've listed are guys who want more of a shot than they would get in NJ.  Yeah, it's difficult, which is why I can see NJ trying to talk Brodeur into one more year, even though he is clearly worse than most of these guys.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#519 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,470 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:39 AM

Ray Emery wouldn't be terrible.  Everyone you've listed are guys who want more of a shot than they would get in NJ.  Yeah, it's difficult, which is why I can see NJ trying to talk Brodeur into one more year, even though he is clearly worse than most of these guys.

As far as trying to talk anyone into anything, it should be the other way around.

And not only is Marty worse, he'll go into next season still thinking he could still be the #1 guy, even if he says something different and all the right things.  Even if he DID accept a backup position, with no more than 20 starts coming his way, those 20 games still count.  I think Lou has to go out and try to find someone else. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#520 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,324 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:47 AM

We're not going to need to talk Marty into anything. He's going to want to play next year, and we're the only place that will take him

Thomas Greiss, Curtis Mcilhenny, JS Giguere....we can find a competent backup.

i'd stay away from guys like Labarbera or Nabokov

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users