558 replies to this topic

#521 hystyk28

hystyk28

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:48 AM

Ray Emery wouldn't be terrible. Everyone you've listed are guys who want more of a shot than they would get in NJ. Yeah, it's difficult, which is why I can see NJ trying to talk Brodeur into one more year, even though he is clearly worse than most of these guys.

I believe #30 wants to play another season. The question becomes, can the Devils sign Schneids if he does. I say no. So, what does Lou do? A very agressive approach would be to trade him if the Devils are outside of the playoff race.(Marty may be real happy to go by then) Then sign Schneids in the summer right away,(5 years max). Then, if nothing materializes for a decent back up you very shadily sign MB for 1 year after the ink is very dry on Schneids contract and reassure Schneids he is the guy, meaning a 65/17 split.

#522 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:57 AM

I've got to say, that jacket Deboer was wearing during the game yesterday (actually the jackets worn by both head coaches) was pretty sharp.

Only place I ever saw those onsale was at the Stadium...for $600!

I love them too, but for nowhere near that price!!!

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#523 Sarge18

Sarge18

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:57 AM

I believe #30 wants to play another season. The question becomes, can the Devils sign Schneids if he does. I say no. So, what does Lou do? A very agressive approach would be to trade him if the Devils are outside of the playoff race.(Marty may be real happy to go by then) Then sign Schneids in the summer right away,(5 years max). Then, if nothing materializes for a decent back up you very shadily sign MB for 1 year after the ink is very dry on Schneids contract and reassure Schneids he is the guy, meaning a 65/17 split.

I disagree.  If Marty even has a microsecond of thought about coming back the reaction has to be, not here.  The adults in the room are going to have to make this decision for him.

"Jay Pandolfo's last game at Boston University was against the Wolverines," Madden said. "My job was to cover his line. Jay had scored something like 30 goals in 30 games that season. And that was his 31st game. Guess what happened?"

"We always joke about it now," Madden said. "Jay tells me: 'You shut me down that game and you've been shutting me down ever since. The only problem is, now you're playing with me. ' "

#524 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:00 PM

THIS scenario would never happen

We trade Marty away at this deadline?  He plays for another team for a couple of months and then resigns with us?

No chance

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#525 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:06 PM

8:00 pm tommorrow cant come fast enough, hopefully the blues are still not sharp. but they'll be looking for pay back.

#526 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,352 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:25 PM

8:00 pm tommorrow cant come fast enough, hopefully the blues are still not sharp. but they'll be looking for pay back.

Just keep remembering 10-5-5 in their last 20.  Yesterday blew, but as we saw with the Blues, any team can turn in a dud any given day.  The Devils really haven't had that many of them lately.  Even if they don't win against the Blues, I don't see them having a game like Sunday's. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#527 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:11 PM

I disagree. If Marty even has a microsecond of thought about coming back the reaction has to be, not here. The adults in the room are going to have to make this decision for him.

id be interested to hear from the stat guys exactly how many wins Marty would cost us next year as backup. If he comes back and only gets 20 games with a .900 sv percentage, what does that equate to in wins as compared to say a guy like emery who has a .905 sv% over his last 75 games.

#528 hystyk28

hystyk28

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:24 PM

THIS scenario would never happen

We trade Marty away at this deadline? He plays for another team for a couple of months and then resigns with us?

No chance

Of course it is an unlikely scenario, but no one would have thought Kovy was gonna "retire." Having limited resources breeds creativity.

If the team is out of the playoffs, I say he gets moved, with both parties happy to do it.(Columbus would be a great fit) If the Devils can't find a suitable back up next season, then I don't see how Marty wouldn't be considered.(unless Cory stays unsigned) Also, you can't underestimate the value of Brodeur to the marketing side of the business, so having him ride the pine may be preferred to having Kincaid do that.

Remember we don't have a first round pick this year, sport an anemic offense lead by a 40+ UFA, have a goalie going into the last year of his deal and have nearly no assets in the minors. Someone better start getting creative because the big bosses that own this team do this exactly for a living and will not tolerate "status quo."

#529 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:27 PM

id be interested to hear from the stat guys exactly how many wins Marty would cost us next year as backup. If he comes back and only gets 20 games with a .900 sv percentage, what does that equate to in wins as compared to say a guy like emery who has a .905 sv% over his last 75 games.

It's funny you mention this, as he's starting to make a strong case that he isn't even a viable back up, and he can't come in and play sporadically. So my guess is it would cost a handful of games when he's playing one out of every 5-6. He should just retire, at this point his best nights are league average and his worst are attrocities.

And the CBJ have a decent goalie tandem, broduer is going no where because no one is going to want him.

Edited by Sneax, 27 January 2014 - 01:29 PM.

#530 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:39 PM

It's funny you mention this, as he's starting to make a strong case that he isn't even a viable back up, and he can't come in and play sporadically. So my guess is it would cost a handful of games when he's playing one out of every 5-6. He should just retire, at this point his best nights are league average and his worst are attrocities.

And the CBJ have a decent goalie tandem, broduer is going no where because no one is going to want him.

right, hence my question. Somehow I'd prefer a statistical analysis over your estimate of "a handful of games". Again, somebody specifically mentioned emery, who over the past 75 games has a .905 save percentage. So what does that mean in terms of games win/lost if you figure Cory's backup will hopefully play 20-25 games next season.

I would very much prefer if Marty retired this offseason, but I want to know what he's cost us if he didn't.

#531 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:46 PM

right, hence my question. Somehow I'd prefer a statistical analysis over your estimate of "a handful of games". Again, somebody specifically mentioned emery, who over the past 75 games has a .905 save percentage. So what does that mean in terms of games win/lost if you figure Cory's backup will hopefully play 20-25 games next season.

I would very much prefer if Marty retired this offseason, but I want to know what he's cost us if he didn't.

No one can give you an exact number, because who knows how the game pans out, whatever answer you get will be a guesstimate. The only thing people can tell you is, marty will suck in some of those starts. It's another story entirley if his sucking is the reason for the losses are not.

Marties stats could take a serious nose dive off that low 90% save mark if he's barley playing, that's another factor. Emery is more likley to have those kind of numbers in a back up roll, marty seems like if he's not playing often could be more often than not the marty whose got some crappy .880 save percentage. Also another year, another step lost.

I don't think you are going to get a real answer to that question. Maybe someone like Triumph could take a stab at it with super in-depth stat crunching.

#532 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:00 PM

I hope Marty doesn't read this thread. I have chuckled reading it.

I don't have to comment I was way ahead of most of you re the subject of Marty.

Broken Record

I am sorry I thought I was responding to the Marty embarrassment thread

Edited by LucifersDog, 27 January 2014 - 02:02 PM.

#533 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,421 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:01 PM

They're like Bway show jackets -- they're custom made.  Actors have to buy theirs  bet those guys didn't  hmmph.  Sports dudes really have no idea how easy they have it.  Yeah yeah tell it to a dancer how your body is shot at 30... whiners.

I'm here for the party

#534 CHIP72

CHIP72

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:07 PM

Holy sh!t!

I can see those jackets going for say $250, but $600?!?

#535 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:09 PM

No one can give you an exact number, because who knows how the game pans out, whatever answer you get will be a guesstimate. The only thing people can tell you is, marty will suck in some of those starts. It's another story entirley if his sucking is the reason for the losses are not.

Marties stats could take a serious nose dive off that low 90% save mark if he's barley playing, that's another factor. Emery is more likley to have those kind of numbers in a back up roll, marty seems like if he's not playing often could be more often than not the marty whose got some crappy .880 save percentage. Also another year, another step lost.

I don't think you are going to get a real answer to that question. Maybe someone like Triumph could take a stab at it with super in-depth stat crunching.

I understand it would be a guesstimate ate best, but at least it would be an educated guess.

Off the top of my head: average sv% this year is .913. Obviously backups are on the lower end. You average backup may have a .907-.910. If the devils continue to average ~26 shots a game, a backup playing 25 games a season will see about 650 shots. In this case the difference between a .907 and a .900 sv% is just less than 5 goals over those 25 games. I suppose that significant but not incomprehsnibly terrible.

I don't know maybe my numbers are wrong but my feeling is Marty as a backup next year and only as a backup - no more than 25 games, will not cost us severely.

#536 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,706 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:22 PM

Yes and no.  The turn has started partly because Cory has been SO lights-out lately that he hasn't given PDB any choice.  What happens if Cory has a meh game and gives up four goals?  (This happens to everyone eventually.)  I would hope PDB doesn't go running to Marty under such circumstances, but sadly I can absolutely see him doing that.  And I'll be beyond infuriated if he does.   

Agree, but I get the feeling Marty gets the Oilers too. 

Well, if Cory has a stinker, I'm sure this board would over analyze every goal against and rip him a new one, as is tradition. :giggle:  But what I'm looking at is that Cory got Dallas, Florida and Toronto, Marty got Montreal which we all knew, then Cory got Colorado, Marty got Phoenix, Cory got St Louis and Washington. The only one that REALLY doesn't make sense is the Phoenix one.

Heading into the break, I think Cory needs to have 5 of the 6. I expect him to get 4 of them unfortunately. If Cory gets 5 or god forbid all 6, we may have finally turned the corner on this mess. Cory has spent all season proving he's the best, and now the guys are playing for him. It's becoming his team, and Marty, Pete, and Lou need to just step back and let that happen.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#537 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,541 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:24 PM

I understand it would be a guesstimate ate best, but at least it would be an educated guess.

Off the top of my head: average sv% this year is .913. Obviously backups are on the lower end. You average backup may have a .907-.910. If the devils continue to average ~26 shots a game, a backup playing 25 games a season will see about 650 shots. In this case the difference between a .907 and a .900 sv% is just less than 5 goals over those 25 games. I suppose that significant but not incomprehsnibly terrible.

I don't know maybe my numbers are wrong but my feeling is Marty as a backup next year and only as a backup - no more than 25 games, will not cost us severely.

But you don't know.  Brodeur is at .895 now.  Who's to say it won't be .880 next year?  He's old.  The Devils don't have a strong offense and won't have one next year either.  And you don't know - maybe Schneider struggles a bit early and Brodeur becomes the starter, AGAIN.  I just don't trust anyone involved to make the right decisions until Brodeur is gone.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#538 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,706 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:25 PM

I think the problem with Marty is more than just on the ice. As long as he's here, it's still looked at as his team. And he'll still be looking to start. I think this off season is time for a clean break and a stop gap backup unless they feel Kinkaid is ready.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#539 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,706 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:32 PM

But you don't know.  Brodeur is at .895 now.  Who's to say it won't be .880 next year?  He's old.  The Devils don't have a strong offense and won't have one next year either.  And you don't know - maybe Schneider struggles a bit early and Brodeur becomes the starter, AGAIN.  I just don't trust anyone involved to make the right decisions until Brodeur is gone.

This... In bold is the worst case scenario and it's not worth that risk. There are other options out there. Now that the job is unquestionably Cory's, the cord has to be cut on Marty when the season ends.

#540 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,352 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:35 PM

I think the fear is Marty might not even be a .900 guy next season...he could easily be an .885-.890 type.  Emery may not be anything special, but he's only 31 years old...it's probably not unreasonable to think he could be a .905-.910 guy for the next few years.  Not saying he'd be my first choice, but it's really not that hard to improve from a puck-stopping standpoint over what a 42-year-old Marty will give you. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users