njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:16 PM

This Week16Last Week21New Jersey Devils22-20-11

nhl-devils.pngnhl-devils.png

Okay, now that Martin Brodeur has had the opportunity to play on terrible ice at Yankee Stadium, can the Devils just turn the goaltending reigns over to Cory Schneider? Loyalty is a big thing in sports, but it shouldn't come at the expense of the current team and the difference between Schneider and Brodeur indicates that it's time to ride Schneider. 
Key Injuries: None.

So. Even TSN agrees with us now, publicly. :P

Edited by njdevsftw, 27 January 2014 - 08:17 PM.

Posted Image

#122 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:32 AM

Wow.  What a total mental break down on pretty much everyone's part.

When you stock a team with "character guys" solely, this stuff happens.  Somehow the organization has confused character with loser. It's been a slow excruciatingly obvious shift for me.  I can't continue knocking the same guys over and over.  It just sucks when you have these talented vets do their job, set everyone up for a relaxed fun game - communication is flowing.  Guys on the cusp start seeing things -- and you know how fragile it all is and how some of the guys are not really in focus, but as a fan you have hope. Knowing the Devils of old, you feel fairly relaxed.
and then

Then all the fvckin' losers get all shocked and fvck everything up pressing trying to be the winners they are NOT.  They listen and nod and repeat it all back  then fvck EVERYTHING UP BECAUSE THEY ARE LOSERS!  NO ONE CAN GROW BECAUSE YOU GUYS ARE A LOSERS!  DAMMIT - this is on Pete for not getting the fvckin' deadwood out of the locker room.  There is no such thing as an intangible at this point.  :argh:  if they're not bringing points they're bringing LOSERVILLE!
YOU SUCK!  RETIRE!  QUIT HOCKEY!   Just ask to go to the AHL. PUHLEASE. 

and I'm not even writing about Marty.    Marty is just Zelig -- he unconsciously adopts the prevailing mentality.  He has none of his own - he just mirrors what's out there.  That empathy allows him to read the game - but it also sucks him into loserdom.  the man is SOOO lucky to have been on the right team at the right time.  He's proven time and time again he is NOT in control of the locker room, or ANY game or even his own game.  If he weren't such a loud-mouthed opinionated fvck, the team might not have gotten into this state -- but whatever.  Here we are, right?

PK you surprised me.

#123 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,407 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:28 PM

Why?

I'm not writing about Marty up there is that's what you think.  What I wrote about Marty i always say about Marty.  Maybe you missed the past 10 years? Marty is cute and stuff but a leader he is not nor will he ever be.  Any time anyone suggested it EVER I have flipped out.

as for who i am writing about.... well you have a look at the roster and the simple stats and figure it out.  The shocking thing is that those that woudl be bottom of the barrel have all been jettisoned by the organization...leaving WHO?  At least I know there must have been a typo when PDB said someone brought some spit to the roster -- clearly the p needed to be replaced with an h.  I feel better thinking about things that way.

Look at it this way Devils organization -- if someone can be intangibly great beyond paper -- well it goes the other way -- someone can be intangibly damaging - you can point to all the wonderful things -- WHO GIVES A DAMMMM?  It's resulting in doodoo!  AHHHHH I am SOO UPSET -- everything I feared is just being allowed to come to this GIGANTIC HORRIFIC FRUITION.  It's like spite even.  let's just prove Pepperkorn is talking about of her ass no matter HOW bad things get we won't do what she wants  EVER.  It's never been this terrible with this organization for me -- never.  not ever.

Edited by Pepperkorn, 28 January 2014 - 01:33 PM.

I'm here for the party

#124 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,407 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:44 PM

Now... If I wrote Scott Stevens sucked I'd be shocked at myself. 

I dont know if he was cold or just makes weird faces -- after the third goal he looked like he was going to poo on the bench.  I was just thinking "Dude that looked good, why do you look all upset?  What did I miss?"  I still chalk it up to being chilly (you should have had on a hat no matter how silly you felt you vain vain man!)

Anyhow -- right now, the play is so bad that its hard to see the root cause aside from just bad parts.  The bad parts are getting in the way of getting the good going at it's peak.  Too much emphasis has to be put on loserdudes to keep the fires burning.  It's an easy job but losers can't do it so the young guys or struggling guys can't dig out of it -- they have to focus too much on the team but the team CAN'T focus on the team because each individual has too much to think about just on himself.  It's a fiasco.

I'm here for the party

#125 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,500 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:20 PM

That Chere article today is just disgusting.  Not a single Devil has complained about how badly Brodeur has played this year, meanwhile he's out there bitching about the chances his team gave up.  Retire already.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#126 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:40 PM

i think hes having a hard time just accepting everything that is going on with the goalie situation.. clearly he is.. this was the first interview that ive read with him actually sounding more and more open to being traded almost like he wants it to happen..sad
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#127 mrthemike

mrthemike

Cursed_Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:46 PM

He's delusional. Poor guy. Wish he would retire with some dignity.

Sole Posted Image of Emmy Rossum

#128 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:50 PM

That Chere article today is just disgusting.  Not a single Devil has complained about how badly Brodeur has played this year, meanwhile he's out there bitching about the chances his team gave up.  Retire already.

I didn't get that feel after reading the article.  Where was he trashing teammates? 

Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#129 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,916 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:01 PM

I didn't get that feel after reading the article.  Where was he trashing teammates? 

There's a part in the article where Brodeur talks about the two on one's he had to face and Lundqvist didn't. Of course none of those 2 on 1's resulted in Oates to Hull unstoppable wristers to the top corner. they were all stoppable.

Brodeur is just being a passive aggressive sourpuss who is in denial. We need to make a playoff run...not be distracted by flakey Martin Brodeur trying to stoke trade rumors for himself.

What team is going to want him? Does he want to go sit on a folding chair near the Zamboni at the Nassau Mausoleum while splitting starts with Kevin Poulin? Because that's the best we can do for you now Marty.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#130 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,658 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:54 PM

Oh God Marty just shut up. Retire already. You're done. Do you really want to be a .900 backup goalie? What else do you have to prove? You already stayed too long.

#131 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:05 PM

This is turning uglier by the day

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#132 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:23 PM

There's a part in the article where Brodeur talks about the two on one's he had to face and Lundqvist didn't. Of course none of those 2 on 1's resulted in Oates to Hull unstoppable wristers to the top corner. they were all stoppable.

Brodeur is just being a passive aggressive sourpuss who is in denial. We need to make a playoff run...not be distracted by flakey Martin Brodeur trying to stoke trade rumors for himself.

What team is going to want him? Does he want to go sit on a folding chair near the Zamboni at the Nassau Mausoleum while splitting starts with Kevin Poulin? Because that's the best we can do for you now Marty.

Seriously????  He said what everyone has said.  The Devils did let up a lot of 2 on 1's.  These were stoppable in your eyes.  I didn't see it the same as you.  I mean look at the tone of your 1st post in starting this thread.

The Devils didn't shoot the puck.  I still don't see the trashing.  He said that he couldn't feel his equipment.  He did say it was a good atmosphere.  Also, he said Lundqvist probably felt the effects of the cold.  I mean Lundqvist thought he was going to be pulled after the 1st period.  He is trying to adjust from being number 1 and having things change.  He isn't sure how to deal with it.  Nothing wrong there.  Anyone who has their job change is going to have to deal with adjusting.  I see nothing wrong with what he said.

There is so much venom lately all over this forum.  It really takes the enjoyment out of participating. 

Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#133 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:43 PM

Marty's never pulled punches, and he's always believed he's great. The former is a small annoyance that becomes bigger when he plays badly, the latter is the reason he was great, which is a major inconvenience now that he's not. He's done, but nothing he said in the interview is out of character, nor is it that bad. Throw in the fact that Chere's articles this year about Brodeur have basically been trolling, and we're giving this way more attention than it merits.

Edited by mouse, 28 January 2014 - 09:44 PM.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#134 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,192 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:55 PM

Schneider: 26 GP .927 SV%, 1.86 GAA, +9.14 GSAA, .929 5v5 SV%
Brodeur: 28 GP .899 SV%, 2.52 GAA, -9.90 GSAA, .897 5v5 SV%

I understand it's gotta be hard for Brodeur to accept that he isn't good anymore, but I really wish he would just gracefully ride out into the sunset as the back up and not say a whole lot.

I don't think most people here are trying to spit venom Brodeur's way but after last year I think everyone is wary of missing the playoffs again despite not being a bad team. 5v5 Score Close Fenwick For% has been shown to usually be a solid indicator of who is a good team that should be in the playoffs. Last year the Devils had the 3rd best 5v5 Score Close FF% in the NHL and ended up missing the playoffs due to a real bad stretch for the offense late in the year and the goaltending being generally awful.

This year they have the 5th best 5v5 Score Close FF% and really can't afford to be giving Brodeur any leeway due to how much this offense struggles and now that they have an above average goalie in Schneider. They could very well end up costing themselves a spot because they were too lenient with Brodeur.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#135 crashline

crashline

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:57 PM

Let's just say a playoff bound team loses their goalie right before the postseason and Marty is on the block.  What is the best we could get for him? What's the lowest you would accept for him?

If it's a 2nd rounder I'm taking it.

Posted Image

#136 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,243 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:34 AM

I really don't see what Marty said that was so awful, but the fact is, for the most part, for this season and last, he's been an inconsistent (often bad) goalie no matter how often he plays...I don't think if he were given five or six straight starts, he would suddenly turn into the Marty of his prime (but I think he probably does). 

For most of his career, Marty's been a guy who's answered questions when they've put to him, and right now, maybe he's being too honest.  Obviously he's struggling with not being "the man" anymore...I understand that, but I guess I'd rather see him do it more quietly, and not be so forthright in his quotes...almost take a "Until my next start, I don't really have anything to say" approach. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#137 Beezer34

Beezer34

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:09 AM

I really don't see what Marty said that was so awful. 

..the reality is nothing. He said nothing out of line or character changing at all. But I think what's aggravating people is the tone of the conversation. He's sending alot of inflections that he wants to be dealt. Almost as if he'd look forward to it happening. He's not shooting these rumors down. Moreover, multiple times Chere tries to agrue against himself, and Marty responds with why it would work. *Example; Wouldn't it make sense to keep you as a back-up with your exp.? --and Marty saying; "well, a goalie with exp. could come back via trade." Chere asked him outright about how he'd feel about the whole thing, and he responds with; "I don't know.. I don't know.. I don't know where my heads at.. I don't know how I feel.. I don't know.. blah, blah" ..when all people want is for him to say; I'm a Devil, I'll always be a Devil, I played my entire career here, and I want to retire here. He's not saying anything like that at all. In fact, he's fueling this sh!t with cryptic quotes like; "we'll see.. you never know.. stranger things have happened.. I have the luxury to do what I want to do.. it might be attractive to play more somewhere else.. etc. It's now gotten to the point where players are being asked about Brodeur being traded. Schneider being asked.. DeBoer being asked. For a team fighting for a playoff spot, do they really need a distraction like this?? :noclue:

Edited by Beezer34, 29 January 2014 - 09:15 AM.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#138 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:36 AM

I have the luxury to do what I want to do.. it might be attractive to play more somewhere else.. etc. It's now gotten to the point where players are being asked about Brodeur being traded. Schneider being asked.. DeBoer being asked. For a team fighting for a playoff spot, do they really need a distraction like this?? :noclue:

That's on the media though, not Brodeur, in my opinion.

#139 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,243 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:45 AM

..the reality is nothing. He said nothing out of line or character changing at all. But I think what's aggravating people is the tone of the conversation. He's sending alot of inflections that he wants to be dealt. Almost as if he'd look forward to it happening. He's not shooting these rumors down. Moreover, multiple times Chere tries to agrue against himself, and Marty responds with why it would work. *Example; Wouldn't it make sense to keep you as a back-up with your exp.? --and Marty saying; "well, a goalie with exp. could come back via trade." Chere asked him outright about how he'd feel about the whole thing, and he responds with; "I don't know.. I don't know.. I don't know where my heads at.. I don't know how I feel.. I don't know.. blah, blah" ..when all people want is for him to say; I'm a Devil, I'll always be a Devil, I played my entire career here, and I want to retire here. He's not saying anything like that at all. In fact, he's fueling this sh!t with cryptic quotes like; "we'll see.. you never know.. stranger things have happened.. I have the luxury to do what I want to do.. it might be attractive to play more somewhere else.. etc. It's now gotten to the point where players are being asked about Brodeur being traded. Schneider being asked.. DeBoer being asked. For a team fighting for a playoff spot, do they really need a distraction like this?? :noclue:

This is why I kind of want to him to say almost nothing at all...once the words are on paper, they're open to being picked apart, interpreted/reinterpreted/misinterpreted etc.  The funny thing, if Marty said "I'm a Devil, I'll always be a Devil, etc.", then you can be sure some fans would say "So if the Devils are out of it or not looking like a contender by the deadline and Lou wanted to deal him, Marty wouldn't be willling to do what's best for the team?"  When it comes to answering reporters' questions, at this point he'll never be able to say anything that pleases everyone, especially since it looks like he's having a tough time being a declining player who is losing his job to a guy who is simply better than he currently is.   

That's on the media though, not Brodeur, in my opinion.

In a way, yes, but Marty's media-savvy enough to know that these guys are always looking to make a story out of everything and anything, and don't mind doing a little he-said she-said to get it.  (Pete, Marty said this about the goalie situation...any comment?)  The less Marty says to them, the less they have to run with/twist, etc.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#140 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:51 AM

Seriously can you tell me why "we have to make the playoffs" Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users