164 replies to this topic

#141 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:56 AM

I was wondering when StarDew would show up to defend her boy.

#142 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,446 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:03 AM

Seriously????  He said what everyone has said.  The Devils did let up a lot of 2 on 1's.  These were stoppable in your eyes.  I didn't see it the same as you.  I mean look at the tone of your 1st post in starting this thread.

The Devils didn't shoot the puck.  I still don't see the trashing.  He said that he couldn't feel his equipment.  He did say it was a good atmosphere.  Also, he said Lundqvist probably felt the effects of the cold.  I mean Lundqvist thought he was going to be pulled after the 1st period.  He is trying to adjust from being number 1 and having things change.  He isn't sure how to deal with it.  Nothing wrong there.  Anyone who has their job change is going to have to deal with adjusting.  I see nothing wrong with what he said.

There is so much venom lately all over this forum.  It really takes the enjoyment out of participating. 

On second read it isn't that bad, but here's what I still have a problem with:  honesty.  Everyone else on the team is lying through their teeth about Brodeur, but he can't pick up his teammates even once?  And has to make a bunch of excuses on top of that?  I know he's always been that way, it's just frustrating to keep hearing it when he actually isn't any good anymore.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#143 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,665 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:45 AM

On second read it isn't that bad, but here's what I still have a problem with:  honesty.  Everyone else on the team is lying through their teeth about Brodeur, but he can't pick up his teammates even once?  And has to make a bunch of excuses on top of that?  I know he's always been that way, it's just frustrating to keep hearing it when he actually isn't any good anymore.

It's a shame he leveraged that second year on the contract in 2012. He really could be a godsend to Schneider over these last 20 something games by supporting him, coaching him, and quietly letting the torch be passed, but like most legends that overstay their welcome he just can't accept a lesser role. I won't feel comfortable until he announces his retirement or Lou officially says he isn't being re-signed.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#144 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,807 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:11 PM

Even the greats can't sometimes know when to call it quits.  It happens in every sport.

But Marty needs to not go down whining and playing the 'woe is me" bullsh!t game.  

Newsflash:  NO TEAM in this league will let you play consecutive games anymore.  There's not a single team in this league outside of Edmonton who would even consider Marty a 1B goalie - he's only getting that here because of his legacy.

But, hey, if he burns his bridges here, it'll make his departure this summer easier I guess.  

I love ya Marty, but it's time.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#145 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,103 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:19 PM

i hope he doesnt go out whining like this.. but at the same time i dont really think he will go off and get traded either.. i think its pretty clear that he is going to play another season i just wonder who it is going to be with
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#146 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,116 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:12 PM

Probably the fairest criticism I've heard yet.  I think a lot of his teammates are biting their tongues re:  Marty's level of play, and I think it's because they truly do respect and like him.  But can't help but wonder if eventually an anonymous teammate dares to say something if there's a start that Cory probably should've gotten and Marty's play clearly costs his team a win in that game.       

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#147 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,116 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:14 PM

i hope he doesnt go out whining like this.. but at the same time i dont really think he will go off and get traded either.. i think its pretty clear that he is going to play another season i just wonder who it is going to be with

Sadly, 30 NHL teams maybe have a lot more to say about it than Marty.  Like others have pointed out, who is he really an improvement over?  One problem with Chere's article was when Chere said something about how teams would love to have a goalie with 682 wins on their team.  None of those wins are really relevant now and going forward. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 30 January 2014 - 07:02 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#148 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,815 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:19 PM

If Marty really needs the alimony money that badly then he can go make some nice dough in Europe or Russia. The seasons aren't as long. They would love to have a big name.

If he get a backup job somewhere outside of NJ it's going to look about as sad as Chelios on the Thrashers

I don't get what's going on inside his head. Does he really think he's still good? Does nobody on the Devils...not even Lou, man enough to tell him it's over. 

Edited by '7', 29 January 2014 - 01:27 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#149 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,665 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:36 PM

If Marty really needs the alimony money that badly then he can go make some nice dough in Europe or Russia. The seasons aren't as long. They would love to have a big name.

If he get a backup job somewhere outside of NJ it's going to look about as sad as Chelios on the Thrashers

I don't get what's going on inside his head. Does he really think he's still good? Does nobody on the Devils...not even Lou, man enough to tell him it's over. 

To answer the bold, I think that's exactly what it is. He thinks he can still be one of the best. I'm sure in his mind he's playing ok, or he thinks he's in a bit of a slump and "darnit, if they'd just let me play 10 games in a row, I'd be fine". Unfortunately when you can't see the forest for the trees, what you think is slump has slowly become the norm. Those solid games that Marty thinks are the usual, and at one time were the usual, are the rarity.

It's just not easy for someone who was at the top of their world for an extended period of time to realize that they aren't anymore. It's easy for us to see on the outside looking in, because we can see the whole pitcure. And I'm sure Lou has to see it, but he won't embarrass Marty by publicly mentioning it. Lou wanted to sign Marty for one year in 2012, but got leveraged into signing him for 2 because of the potential lockout and the supposed interest from Chicago and Toronto when he was on the market. Schneider makes it so that Lou has all the leverage, and I think Lou will use the opportunity for the "team to go in another direction."  I'm sure Lou will address it when the time is right, and for all we know, he's already spoken to Marty about it behind closed doors.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#150 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,657 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:40 PM

Lou and Pete need to take Marty into the office, tell him what the deal is respectfully. He needs to agree to not speak publicly without endorsing Cory and work like a backup goaltender and when he's called, he's called upon but it maybe weeks. If he doesn't like it, he can stay home and wait for a trade if it ever comes, or he can retire effective immediately and go out with some class. It's really up to him. The team is bigger.

#151 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,665 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:47 PM

Lou and Pete need to take Marty into the office, tell him what the deal is respectfully. He needs to agree to not speak publicly without endorsing Cory and work like a backup goaltender and when he's called, he's called upon but it maybe weeks. If he doesn't like it, he can stay home and wait for a trade if it ever comes, or he can retire effective immediately and go out with some class. It's really up to him. The team is bigger.

How do we know they haven't already talked to him? Schneider has been playing a lot the last few weeks. This talk may have happened a while ago.

#152 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,103 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:21 PM

all of this talk until schneider has a bad game and pete rides marty out for 2 weeks lol just wait if anything is possible with petey pete i wouldnt even doubt this
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#153 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,947 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:23 PM

How do we know they haven't already talked to him? Schneider has been playing a lot the last few weeks. This talk may have happened a while ago.

If they've talked to him already and he's still making all these weird quotes that's REALLY bad.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#154 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,487 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:33 PM

To answer the bold, I think that's exactly what it is. He thinks he can still be one of the best. I'm sure in his mind he's playing ok, or he thinks he's in a bit of a slump and "darnit, if they'd just let me play 10 games in a row, I'd be fine". Unfortunately when you can't see the forest for the trees, what you think is slump has slowly become the norm. Those solid games that Marty thinks are the usual, and at one time were the usual, are the rarity.

It's just not easy for someone who was at the top of their world for an extended period of time to realize that they aren't anymore. It's easy for us to see on the outside looking in, because we can see the whole pitcure. And I'm sure Lou has to see it, but he won't embarrass Marty by publicly mentioning it. Lou wanted to sign Marty for one year in 2012, but got leveraged into signing him for 2 because of the potential lockout and the supposed interest from Chicago and Toronto when he was on the market. Schneider makes it so that Lou has all the leverage, and I think Lou will use the opportunity for the "team to go in another direction."  I'm sure Lou will address it when the time is right, and for all we know, he's already spoken to Marty about it behind closed doors.

This. The other thing is, one of Marty's greatest assets, possibly the greatest, was his ability to bounce back. How many times did we watch him regroup between periods to keep the game close and give them a chance of a comeback, or between games to come up huge in the next one? Well, all of that's a result of confidence. He always believed he was the best goalie in the world, and that his bad moments were fixable and fluky. For much of his career, he was right, and it allowed him to avoid long streaks of bad play. Now, he has the same mentality, and his body won't back it up. It sucks, but it was hopelessly predictable. Superstars, especially guys who became superstars in large part because of their confidence, don't age gracefully, because their confidence blocks their grip on reality. Of course, this is less of a problem if he doesn't talk to the press, but short of a gag order, that won't happen because guys like Chere have jobs to do, and Marty's the best quote on the team right now.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#155 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,665 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:42 PM

If they've talked to him already and he's still making all these weird quotes that's REALLY bad.

I don't know why, but I feel like Cory starting more games recently was a conscious decision by either the coaches or management and not JUST because of his play. I'm interested to see how the games leading up to the Olympic break are split, and I'm VERY interested to see who starts the first game back after the break.

#156 jerseysteve

jerseysteve

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:32 PM

Man, I don't know how old most of you are, or when you started watching the Devils, but Marty deserves much more from this fan base. Maybe Marty is done, but he has earned better than what I'm reading. How quickly we forget what he has meant to this team, how he gave a significant hometown discount at the dismay of the NHLPA, so that he could stay in Jersey. Sometimes I read this stuff, and it sounds just like the Rags' board. Really sad.

#157 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,807 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:39 PM

Man, I don't know how old most of you are, or when you started watching the Devils, but Marty deserves much more from this fan base. Maybe Marty is done, but he has earned better than what I'm reading. How quickly we forget what he has meant to this team, how he gave a significant hometown discount at the dismay of the NHLPA, so that he could stay in Jersey. Sometimes I read this stuff, and it sounds just like the Rags' board. Really sad.

Now, with all due respect, I don't think anyone in this thread besides "7" has been irrationally hard on or unfair to Marty. And I think Marty banged 7's mom or something so that explains that.

And regarding the discount thing, he certainly did. But he got PAID these past two years, much more than he probably deserved. That's about 5m you can average over his prime years to level it all out, imo.

He's a great guy and the Devils owe him a whole lot, but that doesn't mean he deserves to dictate his future here.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#158 CAdevsfan

CAdevsfan

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:16 PM

Sadly, 30 NHL teams maybe have a lot more to say about it than Marty.  Like others have pointed out, who is he really an improvement over?  One problem with Chere's article was when he said something about how teams would love to have a goalie with 682 wins on their team.  None of those wins are really relevant now and going forward. 

In all fairness, Marty didn't say that, it's not in quotes.  That was Chere's comment.

#159 Blown01NJ

Blown01NJ

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:56 PM

He is to blame for this. His attitude sucks.
-Putting that bread and butter all over the toast.

#160 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,446 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:02 AM

The NHLPA didn't like him because he worked around their agent system by using a lawyer instead of an NHLPA-credited agent.  This is part of how he was able to earn so little on his contract - instead of being dinged by an agent fee, I believe he just paid a flat rate to have a lawyer review the contract.

It'd be one thing if this were Brodeur's only bad year.  And indeed, he did keep this team afloat when they weren't very good in 06 and 07 - they probably don't make the playoffs in either year without his stellar play.  08 too, he was excellent, Vezina Trophies were deserved.  But it's been 4 years now.  4 years of below-average goaltending.  Some great moments - the run in 2011 just falling short of the playoffs, the 2012 Cup run (and indeed Brodeur saved his best for last - when the team was gassed, he gave them his best performance in the Cup finals), but since that point it's been nothing but bad goaltending.  You can't hide a goalie.  He can't be the DH.  Goalie is the most important position, and when you have a bad one, it is really difficult to win hockey games.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users