128 replies to this topic

#81 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:29 AM

Pete doesn't care about such trivial statistical measurements like 'save percentage' and 'goals against average'. We all know those things don't matter. Pete said so.

It's terrible that he thinks about save% that way but goals against average is one of the worst stats ever. 

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#82 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,846 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:34 AM

No Score-y Schneider, the streak continues...   Hopefully next game we'll give him a lead at some point

#83 Devlin

Devlin

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:49 AM

This team will not magically become consistent with high goal scoring, unfortunately we are at the point where we have "average" players and an older D that is slow. We need a couple elite players who will bring our average players game up. Im not saying average is bad, every team needs those players too but without elite players the team will continue to be "bleh". Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Devlin, 29 January 2014 - 05:54 AM.

#84 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:51 AM

Considering we beat them 7-4 on aggregate I think we should be getting 3 out of the 4 points. Can we appeal the result?

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#85 Steadevils

Steadevils

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:53 AM

Devs have 8 games until the trade deadline......Lou will have the Olympic break to really figure out where this team is going and this next week will go a long way to deciding that.

"I realized from Day 1 the way I played I'd never be a Gretzky or a Lemieux, well, a Mario I mean. I was never going to be a player to get standing ovations in a visitors' building."

-- Claude Lemieux - May 7, 1999

#86 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,757 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:06 AM

No Score-y Schneider, the streak continues...   Hopefully next game we'll give him a lead at some point

At least Cory will keep the GA down, and keep his team in position to get one or two points most nights.  He's given up 11 goals in his last 9 starts.  Doubtful he continues at that pace, but he's only given up more than 3 goals only once all season, and that was in a game where the team in front of him couldn't have played much worse. 

All these dipsh!ts have to do put 2-3 goals in the net on a reasonably consistent basis, and they'll come away with some points...hopefully Cory helps them steal a few points in one-goal-output games.  I think he's going to have to be the one to put this team on his back and carry them into the playoffs.  I just don't think anyone else is capable.  

37 points now needed in 28 games remaining.  So something along the lines of 17-8-3.  Does seem a bit daunting...not impossible, but daunting.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#87 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:51 AM

At least Cory will keep the GA down, and keep his team in position to get one or two points most nights.  He's given up 11 goals in his last 9 starts.  Doubtful he continues at that pace, but he's only given up more than 3 goals only once all season, and that was in a game where the team in front of him couldn't have played much worse. 

All these dipsh!ts have to do put 2-3 goals in the net on a reasonably consistent basis, and they'll come away with some points...hopefully Cory helps them steal a few points in one-goal-output games.  I think he's going to have to be the one to put this team on his back and carry them into the playoffs.  I just don't think anyone else is capable.  

37 points now needed in 28 games remaining.  So something along the lines of 17-8-3.  Does seem a bit daunting...not impossible, but daunting.

No one is carrying this team into the playoffs. We simply won't be making them.

#88 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,757 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:00 AM

No one is carrying this team into the playoffs. We simply won't be making them.

They have a goalie who's capable of shutting teams down, and whose rate numbers rank among the NHL's best.  That alone clearly doesn't guarantee anything, but it's at least a reason to hope.   

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#89 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:15 AM

Before Sunday we were on a 10-4-5 run, with two of those regulation losses being to Chicago. Looking at our remaining schedule it's not unrealistic to expect a similar run so long as we're healthy. You're being over dramatic if you claim with certainty that we're not making the playoffs- im not saying we will, but at this point nothing is a certainty.

#90 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:33 AM

Devs have 8 games until the trade deadline......Lou will have the Olympic break to really figure out where this team is going and this next week will go a long way to deciding that.

I think a first-year Devils fan could have figured out by where this team is going and what this team needs via trade. Lou needs to pull the trigger on something ASAP.

Defense - Addition by subtraction

Offense - Top-line LW, at the very least

This can NOT be a rebuild year, we have to make the playoffs. I'm not saying that as an opinion, but there's no way we "rebuild" without a 1st round pick.

Edited by DJ Eco, 29 January 2014 - 09:33 AM.

#91 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:49 AM

I think a first-year Devils fan could have figured out by where this team is going and what this team needs via trade. Lou needs to pull the trigger on something ASAP.

Defense - Addition by subtraction
Offense - Top-line LW, at the very least

This can NOT be a rebuild year, we have to make the playoffs. I'm not saying that as an opinion, but there's no way we "rebuild" without a 1st round pick.

Seriously can you tell me why "we have to make the playoffs" Thanks

#92 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,757 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:54 AM

I'm guessing he feels that way because the Devils don't have a 1st-rounder.  He also probably feels that way because he's concerned Schneider might be more hesitant to re-sign this offseason.  The latter can probably be overcome, but it will likely mean Lou offering max or near-max in terms of length and dollars, and him also presenting a hell of a sales pitch as to the future of the team.  This team doesn't project to be an offensive force in the next couple of seasons. 

#30 FOREVER!

#93 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:16 AM

I'm so sick of hearing about this 1st rounder... Jeez if we miss the playoffs and it's a 13 or 14th pick it's not as crippling as so many make it out to be. That pick might- might- pay dividends 4-5 years down the line, it's not going to be an injection of instant offense.

People saying we need to rebuild are foolish, we're already 3/4 of the way rebuilt after Schneider re-signs, there are plenty of quality forwards that can be had via fa or by trading a young defensemen.

There is such and obsession among many fans for young players and draft picks... It's ridiculous sometimes. You would think the cup is awarded to the youngest team with the most draft picks every year. So what if we don't have the chance to gamble on a 17yo this year? Its not nearly as bad as some make it seem.

#94 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,179 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:30 AM

They have a goalie who's capable of shutting teams down, and whose rate numbers rank among the NHL's best.  That alone clearly doesn't guarantee anything, but it's at least a reason to hope.   

Again, until I see it, I don't think we are done with Brodeur. The very fact that Pete has gone to Marty so many times this year, can not be dismissed. It's that same respect/sentimentality/blind-as-fvck-and-doesn't-believe-in-stats that will probably give Marty another chance to prove himself and not let an outdoor game be the end of his career.

After that, all it takes is Brodeur having one decent game after a Cory okay or bad game and we see Brodeur again and everything that has happened to that point is forgotten...because..."throw out all the numbers and what's happened in the past and lets go with who gives us the best chance on this particular night"....BS.

So until Pete treats Brodeur like his last name is Hedberg (and it's the back of half of 11/12 season), I don't trust Cory even being given the chance.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#95 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,757 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:36 AM

Devils are not in a rebuild...if Lou thought things were that bad/hopeless, I don't think he coughs up last year's first.  Cory is in his prime, and I've got to think he's not signing with a team he thinks is about to go through a lean period.

Getting Schneider locked up long-term would definitely offset not having the pick.  Not having a 1st-rounder isn't going to kill the Devils, but any year you don't make the playoffs, it's safe to say you'd like to have one.  And yeah, it's a lot less disastrous if it's a mid-first, as opposed to a Top 5. 

Again, until I see it, I don't think we are done with Brodeur. The very fact that Pete has gone to Marty so many times this year, can not be dismissed. It's that same respect/sentimentality/blind-as-fvck-and-doesn't-believe-in-stats that will probably give Marty another chance to prove himself and not let an outdoor game be the end of his career.

After that, all it takes is Brodeur having one decent game after a Cory okay or bad game and we see Brodeur again and everything that has happened to that point is forgotten...because..."throw out all the numbers and what's happened in the past and lets go with who gives us the best chance on this particular night"....BS.

So until Pete treats Brodeur like his last name is Hedberg (and it's the back of half of 11/12 season), I don't trust Cory even being given the chance.

We'll see.  I'm thinking (praying) no more than 10 starts for Marty (worst case).  Hopefully it's no more than 7 (if Pete sees the light, and realizes that puck-stopping percentage actually means a little something).   

#30 FOREVER!

#96 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:55 AM

Lou doesn't believe in "rebuilding."  He believes in "re-tooling."  No matter what you call it, this is a team in transition which will take a few years to complete.  That will likely  include phasing the young D in here, make a trade for a scoring wing, getting guys like Boucher up to NHL level play, bringing in a few FA's, and resigning Cory.  They really need to start drafting better and build from within like what was done during the 90's. 

We may (or may not) make the playoffs over the next few years, but it is should be apparent to everyone (including Lou) that this team is not capable of winning the Stanley Cup as currently consituted.

Posted Image

#97 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,874 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:05 AM

i agree with most of what everyone has already said.. i just wish this team wasnt so inconsistent ..even if they some how squeaked into the playoffs theyre not making it out of the first round
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#98 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:22 AM

Lou doesn't believe in "rebuilding."  He believes in "re-tooling."  No matter what you call it, this is a team in transition which will take a few years to complete.  That will likely  include phasing the young D in here, make a trade for a scoring wing, getting guys like Boucher up to NHL level play, bringing in a few FA's, and resigning Cory.  They really need to start drafting better and build from within like what was done during the 90's. 

We may (or may not) make the playoffs over the next few years, but it is should be apparent to everyone (including Lou) that this team is not capable of winning the Stanley Cup as currently consituted.

I don't really agree, if only because they have one of the best goalies in the world and they're not horrible otherwise.  This team could be a real force in the playoffs, if they make it there.  Of course the shootouts and Brodeur, two things that don't belong in the playoffs, are what might keep them out.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#99 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:23 AM

People saying we need to rebuild are foolish, we're already 3/4 of the way rebuilt after Schneider re-signs, there are plenty of quality forwards that can be had via fa or by trading a young defensemen.

• Now that we seem to have finally gotten our financial situation in order and be able to sign decent free agents, who would WANT to come to New Jersey if we miss the playoffs (again)? That would mean 3 playoffs we miss in 4 years. Under those circumstances, if you're a free agent, you basically begin to look at New Jersey the way you look at the Islanders or maybe the Flames or Jets if these keeps up. Because you know we're not going to outbid anyone who IS free agent-friendly, like the New York Rangers if they make the playoffs again.
  • I don't know how you can say we're 3/4 of the way rebuilt... Our leaders in points this year are Jagr (a 42 year old who probably won't be with us next year), Elias (37 year old who will probably be retiring in a couple years), and Zidlicky (a 36 year old who half the fanbase thinks we should trade before the deadline). I love Ryder but even he's 33 and "pretty good" for what we need at the moment, but not someone to build a team around for the long-run.
  • Sure, a strong and respected goalie being locked up long-term is a good attraction for other UFAs, but you're already assuming Schneider re-signs, with that comment. Making the playoffs isn't impossible. Missing the playoffs would mean a couple more months of this frustrating inconsistent hockey that's been played in front of him: win one, lose one, win two, lose three, etc. If Cory had just about any other forward corps in the league playing in front of him, he'd be leading that team into a playoff spot, I'm sure he knows this. As it stands now, there's a better case to be made for him to sign a lucrative contract in Edmonton next summer than there is for him to stay here in New Jersey (if I were him).
  • I saved the most obvious answer for the end. We see what's happening now as a result of 8 or so years of 1st round pick DUDS... I still have the utmost faith in Larsson being a huge part of this team as he grows up, but the others were just a waste. The point is we were doing awesome all those years so our picks were usually past #20 or beyond., which is why you must think 1st round picks "aren't a big deal". But that's exactly the reason we must make the playoffs. Both on the financial end and confidence end, getting into the playoffs will set us up for a good UFA season.

Edited by DJ Eco, 29 January 2014 - 11:30 AM.

#100 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:28 AM

As for 76's dire view - sportsclubstats says NJ makes the playoffs 97.9% of the time with 92 points, 93% with 91, 82% with 90, 64% with 89.  This is something sportsclubstats is going to be pretty good at measuring because it's aggregating all the possible outcomes and there aren't any teams barely ahead of NJ that are radically better.  So it's not that bad - and indeed, the schedule has to be one of the lightest in the league going forward.

The one thing that's worrisome from the last two games is the trouble NJ has getting out of its own end, particularly Clowe-Henrique-Ryder.  For some reason the play seems to go up the left boards when that line is out, and while Clowe is a great passer he has a hard time making anything happen from there.  Add to it that it's either Salvador or Gelinas there 2/3rds of the time and things get really dire.  This team really needs Merrill back in the worst way.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users