128 replies to this topic

#101 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,685 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:45 AM

Pete is having a problem figuring out what exactly his D should be because there's no super options.

Greene-Fayne I think is settled.

I'd like to see Merrill, Zidlicky in there definitely.

My problem is you can't have Volchenkov and Salvador both out there together, and the current pairings with Zidlicky and Gelinas are problematic.

Gelinas has had too many brainfarts lately. I don't know where to put him. Part of me wishes he was a forward, because defensively he's troubling.

#102 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:28 PM

• Now that we seem to have finally gotten our financial situation in order and be able to sign decent free agents, who would WANT to come to New Jersey if we miss the playoffs (again)? That would mean 3 playoffs we miss in 4 years. Under those circumstances, if you're a free agent, you basically begin to look at New Jersey the way you look at the Islanders or maybe the Flames or Jets if these keeps up. Because you know we're not going to outbid anyone who IS free agent-friendly, like the New York Rangers if they make the playoffs again.
  • I don't know how you can say we're 3/4 of the way rebuilt... Our leaders in points this year are Jagr (a 42 year old who probably won't be with us next year), Elias (37 year old who will probably be retiring in a couple years), and Zidlicky (a 36 year old who half the fanbase thinks we should trade before the deadline). I love Ryder but even he's 33 and "pretty good" for what we need at the moment, but not someone to build a team around for the long-run.
  • Sure, a strong and respected goalie being locked up long-term is a good attraction for other UFAs, but you're already assuming Schneider re-signs, with that comment. Making the playoffs isn't impossible. Missing the playoffs would mean a couple more months of this frustrating inconsistent hockey that's been played in front of him: win one, lose one, win two, lose three, etc. If Cory had just about any other forward corps in the league playing in front of him, he'd be leading that team into a playoff spot, I'm sure he knows this. As it stands now, there's a better case to be made for him to sign a lucrative contract in Edmonton next summer than there is for him to stay here in New Jersey (if I were him).
  • I saved the most obvious answer for the end. We see what's happening now as a result of 8 or so years of 1st round pick DUDS... I still have the utmost faith in Larsson being a huge part of this team as he grows up, but the others were just a waste. The point is we were doing awesome all those years so our picks were usually past #20 or beyond., which is why you must think 1st round picks "aren't a big deal". But that's exactly the reason we must make the playoffs. Both on the financial end and confidence end, getting into the playoffs will set us up for a good UFA season.
fair points, I disagree about the free agents though- 9 times out of 10 they go where the money is. If missing the playoffs is so bad for this reason how were we able to sin so many ufa's despite missing last year?

Anyway I think this discussion is still premature- we have a good shot at making the playoffs.

#103 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,169 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:29 PM

Anyway I think this discussion is still premature- we have a good shot at making the playoffs.

30% chance* before last night.

Probably dropped after the loss.

Edited by Devilsfan118, 29 January 2014 - 12:46 PM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#104 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:43 PM

30% change before last night.

Probably dropped after the loss.

what method/site do you see this on? Is it schedule weighted?

#105 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:39 PM

This can NOT be a rebuild year, we have to make the playoffs. I'm not saying that as an opinion, but there's no way we "rebuild" without a 1st round pick.

devils can add a 1st round pick by subtracting 2 defensemen

and rebuild from cory and a young D core; make stevens coach and play trap

trapping will buy time until that offense comes along.

that and good special teams and devils can learn how to dive while they tread water.

Edited by lazer, 29 January 2014 - 02:41 PM.

Posted Image

#106 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:08 PM

I don't really agree, if only because they have one of the best goalies in the world and they're not horrible otherwise.  This team could be a real force in the playoffs, if they make it there.  Of course the shootouts and Brodeur, two things that don't belong in the playoffs, are what might keep them out.

Their inability to score goals consistently (which leads to us being in a lot of these shootouts) is the real downfall of this year's team.  If they had a halffway descent offense, I might agree that this team had a legit shot in the playoffs.  The team isn't horrible, but they can't score goals and have no real scoring threat.  They create chances, but just can't finish.  They keep games close through hard work and good system play.  They have an elite goaltender and adequate defense.  But the offense they put up, especially against top end teams, is just pathetic. 

What we are watching this season is the by-product of having your 2 best offensive players walk out the door within 13 months of each other.  There just aren't easy ways to replace their skill level and offensive production, especially when you haven't developed many significant forwards through the farm system over the past 10 years. 

Posted Image

#107 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:25 PM

^^^ problem with that is now devils are looking for another diva, star of the show type saviour type guy.

this is not devils hockey.

Posted Image

#108 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:57 PM

Team actually played as well as you could have expected last night. St. Louis is probably a top 3 team and they were at home, yet we still had a good chance to get something. The reason we're all pissed off is that there is still a sour taste from the Yankee Stadium game. I also don't think people realize how difficult our schedule has been to this point.

Pitt x4

NYR x4

LA x2

VAN x2

ANA x2

STL x2

CHI x2

@SJ

@PHX

@COL

Add to the fact that our home/road split has been one of the worst this season and you have a pretty favorable 28 games. Playing Schneider and staying healthy will give the teams its best chance. They have to be good from here on out, but it is certainly not impossible nor even improbable. 

#109 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,870 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:15 PM

the remainder of the schedule should certainly be easier then the first half of it but with this team who really knows
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#110 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,720 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:24 PM

I'm tired of hearing about the schedule...we've had some of our worst games against the Sabres, Jets, Islanders, Oilers and Flames - all non-playoff teams.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#111 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:32 PM

I'm tired of hearing about the schedule...we've had some of our worst games against the Sabres, Jets, Islanders, Oilers and Flames - all non-playoff teams.

Sample size much? There are some teams that are far and away better than us. Luckily, we've played most of them

#112 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,720 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:36 PM

Sample size much? There are some teams that are far and away better than us. Luckily, we've played most of them

That's at least eight-nine games.  If the Devils are really that good a team, they'd take advantage of the weaklings (Phoenix being another non-playoff team we blew up against).

There are a lot of teams better than us, the standings are bearing that out.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#113 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,755 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:47 PM

The Devils have also beaten a lot of good teams. 

The NHL regular season isn't an "A team is better than B team in the standings, so A should almost always beat B" kind of thing.  You could look at a lot of the better teams that lost to the Devils, and they could say "Geez, how did we lose to them?"  But the regular season doesn't work that way.  "Worse" teams beat "better" teams quite a lot in the NHL. 

But the Devils have been a classic .500ish team so far...they can beat and lose to anyone any given night. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#114 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:32 PM

That's at least eight-nine games.  If the Devils are really that good a team, they'd take advantage of the weaklings (Phoenix being another non-playoff team we blew up against).

There are a lot of teams better than us, the standings are bearing that out.

Like CR1976 said, we've beaten a lot of really good teams too. Hockey is a game of luck where basically anything can happen. IIRC a bunch of those games like Edmonton, a couple of CBJ games, that Isles OTL, the Devils got "Brodeur'd" (I'm copyrighting this term btw). 

#115 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,720 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:17 AM

Like CR1976 said, we've beaten a lot of really good teams too. Hockey is a game of luck where basically anything can happen. IIRC a bunch of those games like Edmonton, a couple of CBJ games, that Isles OTL, the Devils got "Brodeur'd" (I'm copyrighting this term btw).

That's part of my point though, we HAVE beaten good teams and lost to bad ones. We're not below .500 because of the schedule, we've been a sub .500 team for 100 games now. Can you really make the case we're any better than the fifth best team in the division? Or that we're better than Boston, Tampa, Detroit or even Montreal/Toronto?

#116 bodnar41

bodnar41

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:25 AM

2 points out of a playoff spot...its now or never

#117 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:49 AM

That's part of my point though, we HAVE beaten good teams and lost to bad ones. We're not below .500 because of the schedule, we've been a sub .500 team for 100 games now. Can you really make the case we're any better than the fifth best team in the division? Or that we're better than Boston, Tampa, Detroit or even Montreal/Toronto?

The Devils are better than Toronto and Montreal.  They're much better when you consider that those teams don't have a smoking crater of a goalie that they start every other game.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#118 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:17 AM

This team is much different than the one we saw last year, so I'm only concerned with the 54 they've played this year. If we've even won half the shootouts, we'd be five games over ".500" and I think most would be singing a different tune.  Add Brodeur's putrid play and you can see why this team is where it is. 

#119 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,720 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:47 AM

Even the Marty excuse doesn't entirely hold water considering we're .500 with both him and Cory despite their respective levels of play. We can't get so much as a three game winning streak ever.
And even if you toss away the shootout entirely they're still around .500.

#120 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,755 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:55 AM

Even the Marty excuse doesn't entirely hold water considering we're .500 with both him and Cory despite their respective levels of play. We can't get so much as a three game winning streak ever.

The record with Marty in net is mostly not horrible because the team scored for him...he's had a lot of luck in that regard.  Cory likely would've gotten more points out of Marty's games (with everything else being roughly the same in those games, especially goals-for).  I'll never buy into the fact that the Devils would NEVER support Cory if had started more games.

Substitute a GAA of 1.86 for a GAA of 2.52, and some of those 0 and 1 point games where the 2.52 guy started would lead to better results.  Not sure how much better, but definitely better. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users