155 replies to this topic

#41 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:42 PM

if he would be fine with not playing as many games and if it wouldnt effect cory resigning here i wouldnt even mind if he stuck around another year i dont think it would be the end of the world as many of you do
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#42 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,316 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:45 PM

I have a feeling a big trade is on the horizon for this club before the trade deadline, but I doubt it will involve Brodeur. This is nothing more than a gut feeling but some of the events are reminding me of how the team was right before we traded for Kovy back in 2010.

I have a feeling we are seeing the last games of at least 1 of our younger defesemen and 1 of our regular forwards.

I hope so. This team needs a trade in the worst way.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#43 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,055 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:52 PM

I hope so. This team needs a trade in the worst way.

I think they will.  This team really needs scoring and Lou has to know that.  I think we will lose a fan favorite but it will have to be done.

There is a very small piece of me thinking we might be seeing the end of Patty soon, but I think its also extremely unlikely.

#44 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:56 PM

i mean which forward would you think to be an option for trade.. no zajac no elias i doubt he trades clowe brunner or ryder he just signed them? is he going to trade jagr who is arguably one of the best players here right now?? .. does henrique have a ntc? and at that point henrique has been one of the better players ..enless hes going to trade a fourth liner but i think gio and carters contracts are up this year)i could be wrong) and gio isnt going to give much of a return i would think

Edited by 2ELIAS6, 29 January 2014 - 04:57 PM.

believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#45 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:57 PM

if he would be fine with not playing as many games and if it wouldnt effect cory resigning here i wouldnt even mind if he stuck around another year i dont think it would be the end of the world as many of you do

I don't see any good that can come from him staying another year. A backup can be signed at half the price that can put up better numbers than Marty does at this point without thinking he can be the number one guy.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#46 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,055 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:00 PM

i mean which forward would you think to be an option for trade.. no zajac no elias i doubt he trades clowe brunner or ryder he just signed them? is he going to trade jagr who is arguably one of the best players here right now?? .. does henrique have a ntc? and at that point henrique has been one of the better players ..enless hes going to trade a fourth liner but i think gio and carters contracts are up this year)i could be wrong) and gio isnt going to give much of a return i would think

Possibly Elias but I really doubt that.  Jagr is definitely a maybe, but I would think for a big name the other team would want more than a rental.

#47 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,782 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:02 PM

I have a feeling a big trade is on the horizon for this club before the trade deadline, but I doubt it will involve Brodeur.  This is nothing more than a gut feeling but some of the events are reminding me of how the team was right before we traded for Kovy back in 2010.

I have a feeling we are seeing the last games of at least 1 of our younger defesemen and 1 of our regular forwards.

I doubt that any of Larsson, Merrill or Gelinas gets traded.  You would trade one of those players for a youngish forward that is not UFA eligible for at least two years, which I don't see being available, or at least there's not a match. 

The hope has to be to clear the log jam not only this year, but next year too.   I think Salvador would make the most sense.  He doesn't have an NTC and is only signed for one more year for a cap hit that is basically the average for a starting defenseman. 

Brodeur is not being traded.  You only trade for a goalie on the last year of his deal, especially someone that's close to retirement, if you think you have a shot at making a Cup run.  And all of the teams that are in that position to begin with have better options on their rosters already.  That's what makes Chere's repeated questions about it all the more absurd. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#48 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,505 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:02 PM

Marty is not Marty anymore.  Marty is a guy who is barely playing above replacement level and that has mostly been the case since the beginning of 2013, save for a few limited hot streaks.  The other Devils goalie this year is putting up top-of-the-league numbers playing behind the same team, so you do the math.  Next season Marty could be playing BELOW replacement.  Like DD56 says, you can find someone cheaper and younger who will likely do a better job.  It's sad and it blows, but that's the reality.   

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#49 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,267 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:28 PM

I have a feeling a big trade is on the horizon for this club before the trade deadline, but I doubt it will involve Brodeur.  This is nothing more than a gut feeling but some of the events are reminding me of how the team was right before we traded for Kovy back in 2010.

Hope you are right. I feel like I've been waiting on a trade (not even a big one) to happen involving one of the D (young or old) for a year now. I'd really love to get a young top 6 F if the Devils move out a guy like Josefson + one of the young D.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#50 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,055 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:44 PM

Hope you are right. I feel like I've been waiting on a trade (not even a big one) to happen involving one of the D (young or old) for a year now. I'd really love to get a young top 6 F if the Devils move out a guy like Josefson + one of the young D.

I really wonder if Lou does make a big splash if the 2015 1st rounder is involved because of the McDavid Sweepstakes.  Should Lou even give that up and have 2 years in a row without a #1 pick?  I doubt he would move that but you never know how desperate he is.  This is not a team or fanbase that can handle a prolonged rebuild.

I really do think one of our young D is moving and I think it's going to be Gelinas.

#51 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,782 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:57 PM

I really wonder if Lou does make a big splash if the 2015 1st rounder is involved because of the McDavid Sweepstakes. Should Lou even give that up and have 2 years in a row without a #1 pick? I doubt he would move that but you never know how desperate he is. This is not a team or fanbase that can handle a prolonged rebuild.

I really do think one of our young D is moving and I think it's going to be Gelinas.

A team that is not a playoff lock for next year should not trade its first round pick next year. The return would not be nearly enough for even a shot at drafting a potential generational talent.

Otherwise I don't see who would be a match if you're talking about one of the younger defensemen. Kadri perhaps. I would say perhaps Evander Kane, except Winnipeg probably isn't looking for another young defenseman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#52 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,055 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:03 PM

A team that is not a playoff lock for next year should not trade its first round pick next year. The return would not be nearly enough for even a shot at drafting a potential generational talent.

Otherwise I don't see who would be a match if you're talking about one of the younger defensemen. Kadri perhaps. I would say perhaps Evander Kane, except Winnipeg probably isn't looking for another young defenseman.

I agree with your first paragraph, but we are dealing with Lou here and might be forced to do something radical as like I said this team for various reasons cannot go through any sort of multi-year rebuild.

Honestly I really don't see much of a match either, but who knows.

#53 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,782 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:18 PM

I agree with your first paragraph, but we are dealing with Lou here and might be forced to do something radical as like I said this team for various reasons cannot go through any sort of multi-year rebuild.

Honestly I really don't see much of a match either, but who knows.

I would also add that I think Lou knows all about the pitfalls of trading a first rounder two years in the future. It basically won the Devils 2 Cups.

Posted Image

#54 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:33 PM

Some news I saw on pht: Elias rips into devils players who are tryna do it by them selves. Probably clowe, Ryder and Brunner.

Callahan wants 7 years around $42 mill and Girardi wants around $33 over six.

Send looking at a $400 million TV deal supposedly. That would bE good for them obviously

Edited by CarterforPresident, 29 January 2014 - 06:34 PM.

#55 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:13 PM

i agree with all of the above.

a lou type move would be to trade next years first for a first this year aaaaaaaaand theeeeeeeen

trade next, next years first for a first next year, heheh see what i did there.

Edited by lazer, 29 January 2014 - 07:14 PM.

Posted Image

#56 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,316 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:29 PM

I really wonder if Lou does make a big splash if the 2015 1st rounder is involved because of the McDavid Sweepstakes. Should Lou even give that up and have 2 years in a row without a #1 pick? I doubt he would move that but you never know how desperate he is. This is not a team or fanbase that can handle a prolonged rebuild.

I think it would be a mistake to trade Gelinas. I know you have to give to get, but that kid has shown more offensive ability than any Devs defenseman since the Nieds/Rafalski days. His D will come around eventually, and then you'll really have something. I'd probably be comfortable moving Merrill to be honest.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#57 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,267 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:37 PM

Some news I saw on pht: Elias rips into devils players who are tryna do it by them selves. Probably clowe, Ryder and Brunner.

Callahan wants 7 years around $42 mill and Girardi wants around $33 over six.

Send looking at a $400 million TV deal supposedly. That would bE good for them obviously

Here is the Elias article which is by Chere so I'm more inclined to think Chere is just trying to stir up some drama.

But as he walked hurriedly to the team bus, Elias voiced his displeasure at the way one or two unnamed Devils deviated from the system and probably cost the team valuable points.

“We’ve got guys that want to do it by themselves out there. That’s all,” Elias told The Star-Ledger.

He was particularly angry about the power play, which went 0-for-4 against the Blues, but he was also seething about the selfish play in other situations.

“We have good enough players to win hockey games. We’ve done that in the past and in a lot of the 54 games we’ve played this year,” Elias pointed out, “but guys can’t do it by themselves. We have to play the way we played before.”

To speculate, I don't think he's talking about Ryder or Clowe. If I had to guess I'd think Brunner, Gelinas...maybe even Jagr since Chico mentioned how the two of them were having a really animated conversation during a tv timeout last night. Still, I think this is more Chere just stirring the pot.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#58 JRZYRIPPER

JRZYRIPPER

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:37 PM

I'm already afraid Corey isn't going to want to stay beyond next year when he hits free agency. Keeping Marty another year would kill that.

I don't even want to think about what would happen if Corey left during FA.

#59 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,982 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:41 PM

I say...

JJ, Urbom/Fayne & Conditional pick for Stastney.  Condition if he resigns.

Young player, "prospect"/UFA D and pick for impending UFA.

Edit:  You know what, this would never work.  JJ is essentially worthless anywhere but here at this point.  It'd almost certainly have to be one of Merril or Gelinas and a pick going, at least.  Meh to that.

Edit 2:  Here's another idea..

JJ

Fayne

2014 3rd (conditional)

2015 1st

for

Stastney

2014 1st

This one obviously depends on how you think the Devils will do next year...if they tank and end up in the top 10 (or with the #1, God forbid) they surrender a good pick.  But, they get a pick this year.  Maybe Colorado bites on the gamble that the Devils will suck next year?

Edited by Devilsfan118, 29 January 2014 - 08:46 PM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#60 hystyk28

hystyk28

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:01 PM

I say...

JJ, Urbom/Fayne & Conditional pick for Stastney. Condition if he resigns.

Young player, "prospect"/UFA D and pick for impending UFA.

Edit: You know what, this would never work. JJ is essentially worthless anywhere but here at this point. It'd almost certainly have to be one of Merril or Gelinas and a pick going, at least. Meh to that.

Edit 2: Here's another idea..

JJ
Fayne
2014 3rd (conditional)
2015 1st

for

Stastney
2014 1st

This one obviously depends on how you think the Devils will do next year...if they tank and end up in the top 10 (or with the #1, God forbid) they surrender a good pick. But, they get a pick this year. Maybe Colorado bites on the gamble that the Devils will suck next year?

Thr Avs could be a destination for Marty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users