155 replies to this topic

#61 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,289 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:08 PM

I'd love to get Stastny but I can't see the Avs moving him given their playoff position. If they did move him though, I'd suppose they'd want a young forward(s) and NHL ready D. Ignoring picks both ways, I guess something like Josefson/Loktionov + Boucher + Gelinas who could add some offense from their back end though he doesn't really offer much defensively. I don't think they'd have interest in Fayne given he's a UFA and I doubt the Devils would move Merrill or Larsson in a deal like that.

I don't think they'd want Brodeur either. Varlamov has been very good this year and Giguere has been about league average which is fine for a back up. I doubt they'd see Brodeur as an upgrade over Giguere.

Edited by thefiestygoat, 29 January 2014 - 09:10 PM.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#62 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,078 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:11 PM

How funny would that be though, Brodeur playing for Roy.

Feel like that could be a freakin sitcom

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#63 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,426 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:21 PM

Marty playing for Roy... and taking Giguere's job, getting a sliver of revenge for stealing his Conn Smythe. :P That would be fvcking batsh!t crazy bizzaro world.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#64 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,142 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:23 PM

The Avs have their veteran Cup winning backup in Giguere. So just a funny dream.

Brodeur is not an upgrade for any playoff team...at backup.

Edited by devilsrule33, 29 January 2014 - 09:24 PM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#65 jerseysteve

jerseysteve

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:23 PM

Ok, repeat after me: there is no way in hell that Marty goes to Colorado. Zero chance. Now, if you were to say Montreal, then I'd say it's a possibility. But he is not going to Colorado.

#66 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,289 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:30 PM

Ok, repeat after me: there is no way in hell that Marty goes to Colorado. Zero chance. Now, if you were to say Montreal, then I'd say it's a possibility. But he is not going to Colorado.

To parrot on what devilsrule33 said, I don't think any playoff team would want Brodeur as a back up. Budaj has been doing a solid job as Montreal's back up this year and is signed thru next year. I don't think Montreal is a possibility at all at this point.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#67 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,416 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:37 PM

n2uy.jpg

#68 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,780 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:33 PM

I'd trade him to St. Louis.  If I'm a Blues fan, I'd rather have Brodeur as the backup than Elliot.  St. Louis would be a perfect fit for him.  He'd have a great team in front of him, and would have a legit chance at another Cup.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#69 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,819 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:34 PM

Trading for Statsny or any other rental makes no sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#70 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,780 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:42 PM

Trading for Statsny or any other rental makes no sense.

Depends on what we would give up.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#71 hystyk28

hystyk28

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:45 PM

I love how people just assume it HAS to be Montreal. Given their backup situation and having a goalie that isn't being sat for Marty, I can only scoff at your statement. Giggy coming back would be a given. Marty's stickhandling would be an interesting addition for those Av forwards. The Avs have some parts they are looking to move. In today's league I see them as one of the most likely trading partners.(for any Devils trade) Also, you don't think Marty sees his BFF Clarkie nightmare decision to go to TOR? Montreal might be the last place he'd want to end up.

#72 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,142 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:59 PM

I love how people just assume it HAS to be Montreal. Given their backup situation and having a goalie that isn't being sat for Marty, I can only scoff at your statement. Giggy coming back would be a given. Marty's stickhandling would be an interesting addition for those Av forwards. The Avs have some parts they are looking to move. In today's league I see them as one of the most likely trading partners.(for any Devils trade) Also, you don't think Marty sees his BFF Clarkie nightmare decision to go to TOR? Montreal might be the last place he'd want to end up.

What value does Brodeur add to a team as a backup. If anything it is a distraction. It is a media circus. It makes things uncomfortable for a starting goalie looking over your shoulder and seeing one of the greatest of all time right behind you. Unless you are looking for a starting goalie (which playoff team is looking for that?), there is no point to look at Brodeur. Remember, Marty just wants to play. That's it. Why accept a trade to a situation where you know you are going to sit?

What does Montreal have to do with Clarkson? Price is their goalie and star. Brodeur going there again is an unnecessary distraction. If he was dealt to MTL, he sits on the bench.

Brodeur isn't looking to mentor any goalie. He isn't saying he wants to help a goalie (even if he did, how much help could he be). He just wants to play. I think he knows Cory is a much better goalie than he is at this point, but he is hoping somewhere else that isn't the case with whatever team's starting goalie. Maybe there is a team out there where the margin is small (I am thinking Philly), but is that really going to happen?

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#73 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,078 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:01 PM

I'd trade him to St. Louis.  If I'm a Blues fan, I'd rather have Brodeur as the backup than Elliot.  St. Louis would be a perfect fit for him.  He'd have a great team in front of him, and would have a legit chance at another Cup.

St. Louis has been rumored to be after Miller...I think they need a bonafide #1, not a backup.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#74 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,819 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:05 PM

Depends on what we would give up.

Colorado would want at least one of Merrill, Gelinas or Larsson. A borderline playoff team cannot give up those assets for a rental.

Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#75 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,078 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:11 PM

Colorado would want at least one of Merrill, Gelinas or Larsson. A borderline playoff team cannot give up those assets for a rental.

Maybe throw Jagr in the deal?

I know this won't be popular with people here, but, in my mind, Jagr MUST be traded this year.  It makes no sense keeping him - they're not winning the cup, he's probably gone after this year, and the team needs a 1st.

I love what Jagr has done this year, but it makes no sense from an asset management standpoint to keep him.  No sense at all.

Edited by Devilsfan118, 29 January 2014 - 11:11 PM.

believe-ll.jpg

#76 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,780 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:25 PM

I know this won't be popular with people here, but, in my mind, Jagr MUST be traded this year.  It makes no sense keeping him - they're not winning the cup, he's probably gone after this year, and the team needs a 1st.

I love what Jagr has done this year, but it makes no sense from an asset management standpoint to keep him.  No sense at all.

If we have a legitimate shot at making the playoffs, you shouldn't trade your best players.  We have a legit shot at making the playoffs.  Never have the assumption that you have no chance at winning the Cup.  It may have been the case 10 years ago.  But it's definitely not the case today.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#77 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,819 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:26 PM

I know this won't be popular with people here, but, in my mind, Jagr MUST be traded this year. It makes no sense keeping him - they're not winning the cup, he's probably gone after this year, and the team needs a 1st.

I love what Jagr has done this year, but it makes no sense from an asset management standpoint to keep him. No sense at all.

I'm not adverse to trading anyone, but why trade for a rental

Posted Image

#78 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,078 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:43 PM

If we have a legitimate shot at making the playoffs, you shouldn't trade your best players. We have a legit shot at making the playoffs. Never have the assumption that you have no chance at winning the Cup. It may have been the case 10 years ago. But it's definitely not the case today.

Its a long shot, at best. Yeah, this team could make some noise, but it's in DESPERATE need of some offensive prospects. If a 1st can be acquired, it's a no brainer in my mind. I'd rather sell now if it means success down the road.

Your logic works with players like Parise and Clarkson in previous years, but not with Jagr. He's a rental - if an asset can be acquired he's gotta go imo.

I'm not adverse to trading anyone, but why trade for a rental

Well in my mind I'd hope that Stastny could be convinced to sign here. It'd give the Devils incredible center depth for the foreseeable future.

But apparently he's already said he'd like to resign in Colorado, so.. This is all moot.

Edited by Devilsfan118, 29 January 2014 - 11:44 PM.

believe-ll.jpg

#79 hystyk28

hystyk28

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:45 PM

What value does Brodeur add to a team as a backup. If anything it is a distraction. It is a media circus. It makes things uncomfortable for a starting goalie looking over your shoulder and seeing one of the greatest of all time right behind you. Unless you are looking for a starting goalie (which playoff team is looking for that?), there is no point to look at Brodeur. Remember, Marty just wants to play. That's it. Why accept a trade to a situation where you know you are going to sit?

What does Montreal have to do with Clarkson? Price is their goalie and star. Brodeur going there again is an unnecessary distraction. If he was dealt to MTL, he sits on the bench.

Brodeur isn't looking to mentor any goalie. He isn't saying he wants to help a goalie (even if he did, how much help could he be). He just wants to play. I think he knows Cory is a much better goalie than he is at this point, but he is hoping somewhere else that isn't the case with whatever team's starting goalie. Maybe there is a team out there where the margin is small (I am thinking Philly), but is that really going to happen?

If Roy can get Marty cheap or part of a larger package I could see it happening. Remember Patrick left Montreal to go to Colorado, so there could be some salesmanship there by Roy. Marty is an upgrade over Giggy due to his stick handling. The Avs have been struggling at the gate and adding MB30 would be a boost for sure. Also, Varlamov us one bender away from watching the playoffs from behind bars. I could see Patrick offering at least a chance for Marty to start next year, which is what MB30 is looking for.

Offseason possible destination: Islanders.

#80 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,799 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:46 PM

Why is Jagr probably gone after this year?  Where is he going?  Who needs him more than NJ does?

Either way, the 'not winning the Cup so trade him' idea is ludicrous - making the playoffs is important.

If Roy can get Marty cheap or part of a larger package I could see it happening. Remember Patrick left Montreal to go to Colorado, so there could be some salesmanship there by Roy. Marty is an upgrade over Giggy due to his stick handling. The Avs have been struggling at the gate and adding MB30 would be a boost for sure. Also, Varlamov us one bender away from watching the playoffs from behind bars. I could see Patrick offering at least a chance for Marty to start next year, which is what MB30 is looking for.

Offseason possible destination: Islanders.

Do people want to watch Brodeur be a backup?  He'd play 6 games.  Also Giguere has a .913 save percentage so far this year - something Brodeur hasn't done in 4 years.  It makes absolutely no sense.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users