155 replies to this topic

#121 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,555 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:24 PM

It's not up to fans to decide when a player's career is over.  Brodeur can go on playing as long as he wants.  But he is not a good goaltender, he hasn't had a good season in 4 years, and his career as a good goaltender is over.

Ughh. 

Someone brought up the idea that he should have "retired with dignity".  Whatever his save percentage was, and even if you think it's the end all be all when it comes to rating a goalie, the fact of the matter is, is that he got a two-year deal after advancing to the Stanley Cup finals, and putting up a very respectable .917 save percentage during the playoffs. 

If you think he should be engaging in some form of public penitence for ruining the franchise and returning his ill gotten gains, more power to you.  I personally think it's fair to have him play out (or sit on the bench, however you want to put it) the rest of what was a short term deal before saying he's hanging on too long.   

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#122 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,487 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:30 PM

I don't want a bad divorce for marty and this team because it would be awesome for him to come and be the goalie coach. But who knows if hes a good teacher, probably wouldnt be able to put aside the fact that he lost his job and would just be a bitter fvck.

But he's good at those

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#123 mfitz804

mfitz804

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:16 PM

But he's good at those

Oooh, BURN!!

#124 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,947 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:01 PM

Marty was for a few month stretch back to his old self during the '12 second half and playoffs.  Hard to tell him to retire then.  Hard to tell him to retire after last year too considering he played only 29 games in a lockout season and would be leaving $4 million on the table.  I can't blame him for not retiring until this offseason...but you can't be passively agressively complaining about playing time when you've played the majority of games this year with an .899 save percentage.

And if he wants to play beyond this year then it's all about stat-padding.  He's not going to be able to hop on a team better than the Devils for any significant role, and we aren't all that great right now anyway.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#125 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:12 PM

If Marty really wants out, this is the most likely way it will shake out.  Lou will NEVER embarrass Marty, and if he shops him it will be done with utmost secrecy.

He will never do it, but I really wish Lou would write a tell-all book about the inner working of the Devils and his dealings on all issues throughout his career after he retires.  It really would be fascinating to read what truly happens behind closed doors and how certain things went down with this organization over the years. 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

I want a blonde with DD's and a million ca$h!

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#126 bobilly45

bobilly45

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:08 PM

i wouldnt mind seeing brodeur an islander if he did ask for a trade.  At least Id go to more islander games before they move to the barclays, and die a slow death as no teams survive in brooklyn. 

#127 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,825 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:44 PM

It's  been mentioned, but he's answering questions. It's not like he grabbed a reporter and said "hey, I'd accept a trade." Marty has always been very honest with the media, and now reporters like Chere are using that to fish for stuff like this. It's the same as the bad ice thing at Yankee stadium. He was asked how the ice was, and he answered. Then it got spun as if he was asked why he lost and answered with "the ice was bad." He needs to stop answering all of these questions and say "no comment". Of course, then he'd be a jerk for that too.

Reporting is all about trying to get things said and twisting it. Hell, the Messier "guarantee" was a big load of nothing. He was asked "are you guys going to win" and he said "yes". Then it got twisted into this big Braveheart thing.

All very good points, its much appreciated !   My counter is that he's been around long enough to know that, absolutely,  it would end up in print.

Hopefully it will all blow over and we can still have a Mariano-like departure for him.

#128 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:54 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

I want a blonde with DD's and a million ca$h!

Don't we all.
Posted Image

#129 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,908 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:29 PM

If Marty wants to play, maybe he should ask Pete to play him at forward. He has Gelinas centering the 4th line, so why not try Marty on that LW spot with Jagr and Zajac? :P

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#130 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:18 PM

If Marty wants to play, maybe he should ask Pete to play him at forward. He has Gelinas centering the 4th line, so why not try Marty on that LW spot with Jagr and Zajac? :P

I've been wanting to use Marty in the shootout for a while.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#131 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,487 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:38 AM

Was anyone else kind of sad watching the 2000 Finals highlights last night? I'd almost forgotten how fvcking good Marty was in his prime. I always appreciated his durability, consistency, intelligence, and mental toughness, but he was so fast. The past couple years of watching him as an old, slow goalie dulled my memory of his athleticism in the crease (not just skating out to make passes). Seeing the highlights was a nice reminder of that, but also how far he's fallen.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#132 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,116 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:17 AM

Was anyone else kind of sad watching the 2000 Finals highlights last night? I'd almost forgotten how fvcking good Marty was in his prime. I always appreciated his durability, consistency, intelligence, and mental toughness, but he was so fast. The past couple years of watching him as an old, slow goalie dulled my memory of his athleticism in the crease (not just skating out to make passes). Seeing the highlights was a nice reminder of that, but also how far he's fallen.

Sometimes during lunch here at work, I'll do a little youtubing and check out some old Devils clips.  It's funny, re:  Marty, it's almost like watching your kid grow up...it's so subtle you almost don't notice it, but if someone hasn't seen your kid in 6 months or so, he'll say "OMG, your son/daughter has changed so much!"   

Agreed, he was was so so good back in the day (the only true off-year I can remember was 2001...that was the one season where he made me nervous).  Made some truly spectacular OMG saves, and made them often.  When you spend an hour or so watching those clips, and you see him now, he's clearly not even close to being the same guy.  The jersey is the same, the name on the back is the same, the face may have aged and the hairline may have receeded but it's still largely the same face, but the skills have eroded.  If you're a sports fan, you've seen this story before, but that doesn't make any less painful or sad to watch. 

It's gotten ugly now, but when we look back, we'll wonder how his prime lasted so damned long...through the end of the 2009-2010 season, really...and how he was able to be so durable for so long.  All those years of starting 70+ games...truly an amazing feat. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#133 mfitz804

mfitz804

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:18 AM

There were at lest 5 shots in last night's game that I thought were certain goals, but Corey got them. I wondered after if that is because I have become accustomed to Marty being slower and I expected that they could not be saved. 

I'm really starting to see the light I think. 

#134 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:29 AM

The question is....who is starting tonight?!?

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#135 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:41 AM

I'm assuming it's an optional skate today so we won't know until the pregame.

I still don't understand what people are so upset about- you say Marty isn't good enough to play; he says he might be open to a trade when asked... Isn't that a good thing?

Then he leaves open the possibility to ask for one, isn't that good as well? I understand legacy and everything but if he's as bad as many here say then wouldn't it be better for him to go and be bad somewhere else?

I think we're a playoff team and I would love if Marty could compete for a cup with us- as a backup. But if he doesn't want to I can't blame him and wish him the best.

#136 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:42 AM

That's the golden question. You can make the case for either goalie. Cory because his play has been fire lately and last night's shot totals were a light workload. Marty because he's always good after a bad loss (yes, even still) and he'll want to put Sunday behind him sooner than later.

#137 bobilly45

bobilly45

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:17 PM

i still think brodeur comes back, whether with the devils which i think is the most likely solution, or with another team to try and get to 700.  hes got 682, (of course who knows where he'd be without all the lockouts,def way over 700)

#138 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,446 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:19 PM

i still think brodeur comes back, whether with the devils which i think is the most likely solution, or with another team to try and get to 700.  hes got 682, (of course who knows where he'd be without all the lockouts,def way over 700)

He doesn't really have much of a chance.  How is he going to get 18 more wins?  The Devils are not going to play him this much next year.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#139 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:41 PM

At this point I'd be ecstatic to just see him go somewhere else, let alone getting a pick in return. :o
Posted Image

#140 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:57 PM

He doesn't really have much of a chance.  How is he going to get 18 more wins?  The Devils are not going to play him this much next year.

Even if he gets 3 more wins this season...

And signs elsewhere next year.....he would need 15...it's possible to get that in 25 or so starts with the right team, no?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users