155 replies to this topic

#141 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:46 PM

At this point I'd be ecstatic to just see him go somewhere else, let alone getting a pick in return. :o

I wouldn't. I want him to retire a Devils with as much dignity as possible. He's earned it.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#142 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:06 PM

Marty wanted tomorrow's game Cory got it.

#143 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:08 PM

I do think Marty should get the game against Edmonton.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#144 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:44 PM

I do think Marty should get the game against Edmonton.

I don't. Cory gets a nice long rest during the Olympics. Ride him hard now, try to maximize the points.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#145 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:54 PM

I don't. Cory gets a nice long rest during the Olympics. Ride him hard now, try to maximize the points.

Marty shouldn't go 4 weeks without playing.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#146 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:09 PM

Fair. I just hate to risk losing the points against a team as sorry as Edmonton.

Sumus Legio

sguq.jpg

#147 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:17 PM

what's he gonna do if he doesn't? Whine more?

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#148 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:16 PM

what's he gonna do if he doesn't? Whine more?

Cosigned. Enough with running things around Marty or through Marty. This team is best without him.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#149 Beezer34

Beezer34

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:35 PM

4 weeks without playing..

..it's stunning. He basically came out and publicly begged to play all week, with quotes like: "I just want to play, whether it's here or somewhere else, it doesn't matter anymore."  --  "I hope it's soon, so I don't have to dwell on the outdoor game"  --  "I won't go to Lou (to ask for a trade) unless it gets worse over the next three weeksThere was no better game to play him than the Preds. Back-to-back, Marty pitched a shutout against them earlier in the season, Schneider really didn't look too good the night before, etc. Yet despite it all, the organization seems to have taken a firm stance on this.

I guess we'll see how this all plays out either on March 3rd, or July 1st.. one way or another. I don't feel like retirement is going to happen here. Marty's out to prove something. He'll either resign with the Devils, or sign on with another team that'll promise him 25-30 games.

Edited by Beezer34, 03 February 2014 - 09:33 AM.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#150 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:58 PM

Marty has done more to earn his right to "whine" about not playing than some "fans" did to whine about his whining.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#151 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:47 AM

Why not?

#152 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,283 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:21 AM

..it's stunning. He basically came out and publicly begged to play all week, with quotes like: "I just want to play, whether it's here or somewhere else, it doesn't matter anymore."  --  "I hope it's soon, so I don't have to dwell on the outdoor game"  --  "I won't go to Lou (to ask for a trade) unless it gets worse over the next three weeksThere was no better game to play him than the Preds. Back-to-back, Marty pitched a shutout against them earlier in the season, Schneider really didn't look too good the night before, etc. Yet despite it all, the organization seems to have taken a firm stance on this.

I guess we'll see how this all plays out either on March 3rd, or July 1st.. one way or another. I don't feel like retirement is going to happen here. Marty's out to prove something. He'll either resign with the Devils, or sign on with another team that'll promise him 25-30 games.

Kind of hard to make a case for a guy who has a 3.88 GAA and an .862 save% in his last five starts, especially for a team that doesn't score much.  And in those five games, he actually got decent support:  3, 2, 4, 2, and 3 goals (decent for the Devils, anyway). 

The numbers are fugly since 11/27:

14 GP, 3+ goals allowed 9 times, .882 save%, 3.00 GAA.  When you put that sample up against Cory's last 12 games (3 goals allowed once (in OT), 2 or less in the other 11 GP, .945 save%, 1.47 GAA), and the schedule before the Olympics is so favorable from a rest standpoint, it's just really hard to come up with a compelling reason for why Marty should get a start.  Whether it's four weeks, five weeks or six weeks before Marty gets another game, does it really matter?  He's not going to be comfortable either way, so stick with the guy who's giving you the best chance to win, or at least come away with a point.     

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#153 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:22 AM

When not playing during tose 4 weeks, its not like he sitting around. 

He's the practice goalie (and like all of the practice goalies) he's got to treat it like a game... to show the coaches that he's playing lights out and not letting anything past him.

when they see that, they'll put him in.

So I'm assuming that his practices aren't going so well....

#154 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,073 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:24 AM

It's also not like he's had long layoffs before this so he can't use that as an excuse.  His longest layoff before this stretch was like 8-9 days in October, and he actually won the game he played after the layoff (at Boston).

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#155 Beezer34

Beezer34

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:38 AM

Kind of hard to make a case for a guy who has a 3.88 GAA and an .862 save% in his last five starts, especially for a team that doesn't score much.  And in those five games, he actually got decent support:  3, 2, 4, 2, and 3 goals (decent for the Devils, anyway). 

14 GP, 3+ goals allowed 9 times, .882 save%, 3.00 GAA.  When you put that sample up against Cory's last 12 games (3 goals allowed once (in OT), 2 or less in the other 11 GP, .945 save%, 1.47 GAA), and the schedule before the Olympics is so favorable from a rest standpoint, it's just really hard to come up with a compelling reason for why Marty should get a start.  Whether it's four weeks, five weeks or six weeks before Marty gets another game, does it really matter?  He's not going to be comfortable either way, so stick with the guy who's giving you the best chance to win, or at least come away with a point.     

..no, I don't disagree with what they're doing. I'm just shocked he didn't play the game @ Nashville at the very least.

From the stand-point of professionalism, it does show the Devils in a good light though. How would it have looked after 4 days of Marty stomping his feet.. if the organization gave in to him and start playing him more? At the very least, they're telling the rest of the team, no one is going to strong-arm us into making any decision(s) that's not best for the franchise.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#156 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,283 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:53 AM

..no, I don't disagree with what they're doing. I'm just shocked he didn't play the game @ Nashville at the very least.

From the stand-point of professionalism, it does show the Devils in a good light though. How would it have looked after 4 days of Marty stomping his feet.. if the organization gave in to him and start playing him more? At the very least, they're telling the rest of the team, no one is going to strong-arm us into making any decision(s) that's not best for the franchise.

I have a funny feeling he may get the Edmonton start, regardless of what happens tonight: 

If the Devils win, maybe they don't think those points are somehow as urgent (not saying I agree with that at all).

If the Devils lose, PDB thinks the Devils need to change it up. 

But I think Cory gets the Washington start regardless of what Marty does if he, Marty, plays against the Oilers.  At this point, I think you treat Marty starts like isolated cases.  If he pitches a shutout or plays well enough to win against the Oilers, great.  But one game shouldn't automatically make him the hot hand anymore (the mentality would facilitate him starting the game against the Caps, especially if Cory isn't sharp against the Avs).

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users