63 replies to this topic

#21 John Wensink

John Wensink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:31 PM

Oct 12, 1982, 3rd home game vs Boston. My father had split season tickets with another guy and that was our first game. Been to hundreds since, watched thousands on TV. 

LGD!

"I feel privileged to have played on three Stanley Cup teams and finally help the New Jersey Devils get the respect they deserve." Scott Stevens

"I knew in my heart that one day we would turn it around and we'd do something special here," Ken Daneyko

"I hate the Rangers, and Lou hates them to death."- Martin Brodeur, "Beyond the Crease", page 261

#22 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:34 PM

For me it was 1984 (I was 4 yrs old) against Toronto. We sat 2nd row to the ice and the sound of the checking into the boards scared the crap out of me haha. Porbably some of the earliest memories of my life. I remember these two guys in the first row banging on the glass yelling "Korn, Korn!"..For Leafs tough guy Jim Korn (who a few season later became a Devil). I started to chant it cause they were chanting it haha. Good times. Became a season ticket holder two years later with my dad and never looked back.

this story sounds so familiar to mine, maybe it was a couple years later but were the same age.

down on the glass to watch warmups; seeing the guys were 7 feet tall and trying to catch a puck haha.

i just remember the leafs specifically for some reason.

Posted Image

#23 skeeter

skeeter

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:02 PM

Speaking of that, I caught a puck at only one game, which was at the game where this happened:

I remember listening to that game on the radio and Chris Moore lost his mind calling that one.  Sherry was gushing that it would be a play of the week on Sportscenter for sure.

gallery_47_36_882.png
Keeper of Mike Miller's cracking voice
Keeper of Claude the trumpet guy
Keeper of Slapshot the fondlin' mascot

#24 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,900 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:18 PM

http://www.hockey-re...9303290NJD.html

Devils vs. Sharks, March 29th, 1993.

Stephane Richer scored a natural hat trick, Chris Terreri had the shutout.  All five goals were scored in the second period, and of course I was in the upper bowl behind the net the Devils shot at in the first and third periods. The Sharks were in their second season, terrible, and in the midst of something like a 13 game road losing streak. This was their 10th road loss in a row apparently.

I've been to hundreds of games since, and have yet to see a second Devils hat trick in person.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#25 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:37 PM

Against the Isles, in the Colliseum. We won 3-2 I think

6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#26 skeeter

skeeter

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:44 PM

http://www.hockey-re...9303290NJD.html

Devils vs. Sharks, March 29th, 1993.

Stephane Richer scored a natural hat trick, Chris Terreri had the shutout.  All five goals were scored in the second period, and of course I was in the upper bowl behind the net the Devils shot at in the first and third periods. The Sharks were in their second season, terrible, and in the midst of something like a 13 game road losing streak. This was their 10th road loss in a row apparently.

I've been to hundreds of games since, and have yet to see a second Devils hat trick in person.

Wow I was at that one too, and in section 223.  It was my first Devils win since my first game in 1988.  I specifically asked my father to get tickets to that game just so we could see them win.

gallery_47_36_882.png
Keeper of Mike Miller's cracking voice
Keeper of Claude the trumpet guy
Keeper of Slapshot the fondlin' mascot

#27 Scottie2Hottie

Scottie2Hottie

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:09 PM

Little better version of my story. I was going to college in Pittsburgh in 2007, and with my college ID, a ticket was only $20...but it was standing room only. It was also 'crosby bobble head night'. So after the first period, I decide I was sick of standing and I somehow bartered my bobble head to an usherfor a seat. He put me center ice, ten rows up in the season ticket holder section. Suffice to say people were not happy. The stadium kept putting devil fan pics on the jumbotron thing saying 'boo this man until he takes off his jersey' suffice to say I did not, and we were already leading 4-0 so the pens fans were already super pissy. Anyways after the second period, I was invited to a box with 4 other devils fans. The person who invited us was none other than Kevin Smith, who, despite me being underage provided me with several gin and tonics. Devils won and I had a number of Pitt fans follow me home on the T threatening to kill me blah blah blah. Best first devils game ever.
Posted Image Deb Placey (unofficial)
Posted Image

#28 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:28 PM

A 5-1 loss to the Flyers in 96.  :(

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#29 Jerseydevils0324

Jerseydevils0324

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:37 PM

October 14th, 2000 against the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim.

We won. My only memory from the game was that I was banging on the class where Gomez was standing during warm-ups. He turned around, smiled, and slapped his stick on the glass right where my face was. I'm sure most here hate the guy, but that is a memory that will stay with me forever.

Edited by Jerseydevils0324, 29 January 2014 - 08:37 PM.

#30 Devlin

Devlin

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:40 PM

Opening night of BBA when the Devils came to NJ

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

#31 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:27 PM

Best thing that ever happened to me, Devils vs. Blackhawks on December 4th, 1993 when I was six years old.  The game was a 2-2 tie, goals from Niedermayer, Zelepukin, Matteau, and Joe Murphy.  I found the date and scorers by looking it up, but I really don't remember anything from it other than the score, upper level center ice seats, and having a lot of fun.  I didn't care for hockey at all until then, I was playing soccer and tee ball, but after that I started hanging out with my neighbor who was a couple years older than me and played hockey.  We played on the patio in my backyard using baseball bats as sticks and the spiky seed pod things that fell from trees as pucks.  Eventually my mom got me a hockey stick--one of those crappy plastic ones with the flat blade, but it was a major improvement.  Throughout elementary school, almost every day my neighbor and I and some other kids from nearby streets came by and we played street hockey until they got to middle school and I guess street hockey wasn't cool anymore, and since the 90s was ending neither were roller blades. 

I was bummed out that my neighbors didn't play anymore, but around the end of middle school I was able to get all my friends into hockey and throughout high school we played pick-up games multiple days a week and some of them pursued it more and joined some local leagues with me.  When we finished high school some of us continued to play together in adult leagues and I made more lifelong friends and had great times while playing for the Rutgers roller hockey team.  Now I am playing on a semi-pro minor league roller hockey team (which sounds like a bigger deal than it really is, it's basically an adult travel team that you have to try out for), I work at an ice rink where I run the adult league, and I also organize a charity outdoor roller hockey tournament twice a year. 

So much of my life--my job, most of my friends, and lots of great memories of wins, losses, locker room banter, and traveling and hanging out with teammates--all would have never happened if not for that 2-2 tie I watched but barely understood when I was six years old.  If not for going to that game, I would probably be a totally different person, probably still inhaling kicked up infield dirt or getting sunburn in right field while sucking ass at baseball.

Edited by devilsfan26, 29 January 2014 - 09:28 PM.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#32 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:24 AM

Best thing that ever happened to me, Devils vs. Blackhawks on December 4th, 1993 when I was six years old.  The game was a 2-2 tie, goals from Niedermayer, Zelepukin, Matteau, and Joe Murphy. 

I went to that game too...was on a double date...we hit Houlihan's on Route 3 afterwards.  It was actually kind of a lifeless game from what I remember...just kind of ugly.  I also remember being kind of bummed because the Devils had been scoring a lot to start the season (they went 7-0-0 and 14-4-0 to start the year), but the goals has stopped coming (this had been a pattern in recent seasons back then...quick offensive starts over the first quarter of the season or so).  That tie made them 1-2-4 (one win, two losses, four ties) in seven games after that 14-4 start. 

The '93-'94 team had a terrific year overall, but I remember people not really believing in them, especially around midseason...their schedule to start the season was pretty soft, then after going 14-4-0, they went just 16-15-7 in their next 38 games, and critics were starting to say they were pretenders, same ol' Devils, not really as good as their record, etc.  (Keep in mind the Devils has just about NEVER put up an eye-friendly regular season record like this, with the exception of '91-'92, but they slumped at the end of that year.)  They went on a big tear just as the doubters were weighing in...with their record at 30-19-7, they went 15-2-4 and people began taking them seriously.  I also remember them having a three or four game stretch where they scored a goal in the first minute of play each time at some point during that 15-2-4 run.  Really was a fun year...especially since I went to a lot of games that year.  I lived 20 minutes from the arena at the time, and a good friend of mine was ALWAYS willing to go to games with me...all I had to do was pick up the phone.  I must've seen at least 25 home games that season, maybe more.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 30 January 2014 - 07:26 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#33 mrthemike

mrthemike

Cursed_Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:05 AM

Devils vs Oilers (??). Green jerseys.

I wonder if I still have that dirty old green devs hat somewhere.

Sole Posted Image of Emmy Rossum

#34 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,417 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:18 AM

playoffs 88 ithink v. the Rags, but not 100% sure...

Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#35 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:26 AM

My memory is fuzzy but it was in 1984 I took my youngest son who was 18 at the time and we went to the Byrne arena and have followed the Devils ever since. Now that same son is going to the games with his 8 year old son and 10 year old daughter. I can't remember who was the opponent in 84 or the score but I do remember we won.

#36 NJDevils1214

NJDevils1214

All-Star

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:02 AM

I think it was this one:

http://www.hockey-re...0511180NJD.html

Mon 3 @ NJ 5 

815631765.gif

#37 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:13 AM

Mine was probably in 1996. We'd always watched games on TV but taking the family to Brendan Byrne Arena was probably a little pricey for my dad at the time. Wish I could remember who we played, but I was only 9 years old :/

#38 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,774 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:22 AM

I know it was in 1989 and against Hartford Whalers.  Looking it up it looks like it was Oct 26th, 1989 where the Devils lost 7-3.  I honestly thought we won that game but looking it up it looks like we didn't.  I called my dad who took me to the game where he got tickets to the lower level from a business partner and he said he remembers the Devils losing that one.  lol oh well.

The part I remember the most though was a guy next to me in a Daneyko jersey in his 30's I believe who was super-intesively into the game and was yelling and screaming the entire time.  This this was still the era when not many fans wore jerseys to the game I thought at the time he was a player who wasnt playing that game and that is why he was so into it hahaha.

Edited by DevsMan84, 30 January 2014 - 10:24 AM.

#39 Jmorc2003

Jmorc2003

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:53 AM

I was in first grade, so somewhere around '85-'86 season.  It was against the Blackhawks, we sat lower level behind the goal, and this was long before there was any netting, so during the game a shot came screaming past our seats, my dad got a finger on it and it took off part of his finger nail.  Never been more proud of a broken nail.  

Another cool story, I was at another game down by the glass watching pre game warmups.  I was banging on the glass and Bill Guerin tossed a puck over for me.  Pretty sure I still have the puck. 

I also remember going to a lot of stick day games in the 80s. 

Edited by Jmorc2003, 30 January 2014 - 11:25 AM.

#40 bostondevil11

bostondevil11

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:54 AM

Nov 2001 in Boston.  Devils won in OT with 2 seconds left with a Scott Gomez goal.  There was also an awesome short handled goal by Sykora.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users