304 replies to this topic

#261 devlman

devlman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:05 PM

I don't really see the big deal with starting Marty. Schneider got six or so games in a row after Marty screwed up and we all just assumed that Cory is now the every day starter. Turns out, DeBoer is going to keep going with the hotter goalie. Marty didn't have a big game on Saturday but he won and only allowed one goal. I think it's a fair decision to start him.

Its not that upsetting a decision for PDB to go with Marty tomorrow. Cory has looked very rusty in his two games post-break. Marty is going to have alot of pressure and eyes on him with all the trade talk so its not unreasonable to think Marty will have a solid game. Plus, this could be his last game as a devil, at home, give him a shot. 

#262 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:35 PM

I am so tired of Marty this or Marty that and who ask and who didn't ask, did they meet or didn't they meet, did he request or didn't he request, or for the good of Marty or the good of the Devils.

Marty needed to play out his contract with the NJ Devils and keep his mouth shut. He has done very well with the Devils financially and his son  got drafted so honor your contract Marty. You have next season to do what you want. Marty never took a cut in pay he just eliminated an agent fee.

fvck you Marty. I hope he gives up two or three softies tomorrow night and it puts an end to this subject. I didn't say Devils lose.

It is time for the NJ Devils and Devils fans to move on from Marty Brodeur's ego.

#263 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:42 PM

I am so tired of Marty this or Marty that and who ask and who didn't ask, did they meet or didn't they meet, did he request or didn't he request, or for the good of Marty or the good of the Devils.

Marty needed to play out his contract with the NJ Devils and keep his mouth shut. He has done very well with the Devils financially and his son  got drafted so honor your contract Marty. You have next season to do what you want. Marty never took a cut in pay he just eliminated an agent fee.

fvck you Marty. I hope he gives up two or three softies tomorrow night and it puts an end to this subject. I didn't say Devils lose.

It is time for the NJ Devils and Devils fans to move on from Marty Brodeur's ego.

Who would have thought this would come from you, after all those years of your enthusiastic support for Marty? Times have changed.

Edited by Neb00rs, 03 March 2014 - 03:52 PM.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#264 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:47 PM

Oh stop it. You can hardly contain your joy with this situation.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#265 CaptainRafalski

CaptainRafalski

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:03 PM

As fans we are in for a tough time if the Devils become an organization that keeps players around for what they used to be.  As for Brodeur, he needs to understand the situation with the goal-tending position.  Like every other player in professional sports history, Brodeur replaced somebody else when it became clear that the team would have a better chance at winning with him in net.  Now it's time for him to be the guy on the way out.  He's turning 42 in May and from what I've seen he has not become a worse goalie because he forgot how to play the game but because he is getting older.

He will go down as the greatest goalie to ever play the game but he is no longer a top goalie -- not even in the Devil organization.  If Brodeur feels that he continue to play in the National Hockey League then he can either a. remain on the team as a backup or a. leave the organization and play for another.  I will have no hard feelings against Brodeur if he decides that he would like to play elsewhere.  He is a free man who is allowed to choose what he would like to do on a daily basis.  Would it be better if he retired as a Devil? In my opinion, yes but like I said, its up to him.

#266 CaptainRafalski

CaptainRafalski

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:05 PM

As for Deboer, if he thinks that he can continue to play aging veterans and keep waffling between a clear number one goalie and a 41 year old on the decline then he is a pretty bad coach because he must lack eyesight and common sense.

#267 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:34 PM

Oh stop it. You can hardly contain your joy with this situation.

This is typical Marty you people just can't see it.

Please do ask me to elaborate.

Edited by LucifersDog, 03 March 2014 - 04:37 PM.

#268 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,943 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:38 PM

I'm in baby.

I said if Pete went with Brodeur after the Sharks game that I am jumping on this bandwagon. If the Devils lose this game against the Wings, the season might as well be over.

I think you're overreacting.  The season won't be over if we lose on Tuesday.  We have 6 or 7 losses to play with ideally.  If tomorrow is one of those 6 or 7 losses, so be it.  Detroit is one of the teams we're chasing.  But they're also not the only team we can catch to make the playoffs.  If we get to the 93 - 95 point total I'm personally aiming for, it won't matter what teams we beat, or what teams we lost to.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#269 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:40 PM

I think you're overreacting.  The season won't be over if we lose on Tuesday.  We have 6 or 7 losses to play with ideally.  If tomorrow is one of those 6 or 7 losses, so be it.  Detroit is one of the teams we're chasing.  But they're also not the only team we can catch to make the playoffs.  If we get to the 93 - 95 point total I'm personally aiming for, it won't matter what teams we beat, or what teams we lost to.

Oh of course I am. I'm not really calling for it basically because I know this issue is just as much on Lou as anybody else. Having both goalies here to start the season was always going to be a problem.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#270 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:05 PM

This is typical Marty you people just can't see it.

Please do ask me to elaborate.

You've been elaborating for nearly a decade. 

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#271 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,773 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:18 PM

You've been elaborating for nearly a decade. 

Longer and anyone who says anything that doesn't agree with his Marty synopsis is <enter some snide personal remark>.

So unamazed that Marty discussion makes into so many threads as of late.  Well, probably the future, too. ;)

Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#272 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:48 PM

Longer and anyone who says anything that doesn't agree with his Marty synopsis is <enter some snide personal remark>.

So unamazed that Marty discussion makes into so many threads as of late.  Well, probably the future, too. ;)

Thank you StarDew are you getting better?

#273 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:34 AM

Brodeur no-doubt has his fair share of blame throughout this fiasco, with how he's dragged the media into this. But Pete DeBoer has alot of blood on his hands, in regards to making this goalie situation an absolute mess. He has completely mishandled it from the beginning.

So has Lou Lamoriello. He can not be given a free pass. Lamoriello, from the very beginning, with his "1A" nonsense to the media and his inability to properly handle the ego and fame of Martin Brodeur.

I agree. Lamoriello's quotes could have been very misleading to Brodeur in retrospect. (ie; "certainly Marty is still the starter" etc) However, DeBoer is still the main culprit as far as I'm concerned. It's okay to go back-and-forth between the two until a decision is made who to run with.. but that decision should've been made alot sooner than January. Rereading quotes from November & December, it's easy to see now how it frustrated both Brodeur & Schneider.

"I wish they'd make a decision either way, even if it's Cory. I'd rather that than going back and forth. It's harder to get in rhythm." -Brodeur
"It's frustrating not being able to play more. It’s like Groundhog Day for me. I just can’t seem to escape it." --Schneider

..my main complaint (like many) is the extremely short leash Schneidz got at the beginning of the season, where many times we would go to Brodeur, off of games that weren't even the fault of Schneider.. and it looks like we're right back to that again! Brodeur is playing tonight off a game where he only saved 18 shots against a dog-sh!t Islander team, where the Devils gave him a 6-spot in goal support. Schneider is shown the bench off a game where the Devils scored only twice, against a Sharks team with 40 wins, who's Top 5 in the league.

This is the most important game of the year for the Devils. How do you not play your best goalie?? :noclue:

Edited by Beezer34, 04 March 2014 - 09:36 AM.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#274 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,158 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:32 AM

Well what i'd likely like to see happen here... 

Brodeur get the start... gives up like 3 goals on 5 shots, get pulled and we score 4 goals and nothing goes past Cory. we win 4-3. Teams around the league sees it. Marty remain a Devils and play only when needed and HOPEFULLY he sees that after the outdoor game and this game against Detroit was his last bone that they'd give him and HOPEFULLY realise that he's done and deserve to be playing the amount of games he should.

Then if he still doesnt realize... gets a pro tryout with whoever next summer but doesnt get a contract so he retires as a Devil. 

Not that i want him to fail but for the love of god bro, your time is over

www.SterioDesign.com

#275 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:27 PM

Still think we are a good performance from Brodeur away from re-opening the goalie situation debate. Especially, if Brodeur stays, there is a lot of internal pressure to get him more games.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#276 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,695 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:33 PM

Unless Lou's now mad at Marty for leaking the trade rumors...
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#277 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,773 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:37 PM

Thank you StarDew are you getting better?

Yes. The mass in my chest tested benign after4 different tests and my enlarged thyroid took 6 different tests/biopsies and the final test, which was at the genome level, said benign.   Really stinks to have test results of undetermined.  Thank you for asking. :)

Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#278 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:11 PM

I'll wait to see the breakdown the rest of the way- After the olympic break I figured Marty would get at most 5 starts the rest of the way. With 20 games in 40 days Cory can't go every game. Well I guess he could but his level of play may suffer for it.

Another factor is that although the wings are the team we're chasing right now they're probably one of the weaker teams to give broduer since they're missing datsyuk and zetterberg.

#279 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:41 PM

I'll wait to see the breakdown the rest of the way- After the olympic break I figured Marty would get at most 5 starts the rest of the way. With 20 games in 40 days Cory can't go every game. Well I guess he could but his level of play may suffer for it.

Another factor is that although the wings are the team we're chasing right now they're probably one of the weaker teams to give broduer since they're missing datsyuk and zetterberg.

Pretty much this. I was listening on the radio (got out of work late), and Matt and Sherry were saying the same thing -- the Devils are going to need to ride their backup (they think it will be Marty) a bit down the stretch with all the back to backs. This was pretty much a perfect game to rest Cory, even ignoring the sentiment. If they go back to the 1 1A thing, then I have a problem, but IMO playing Marty against a bad Isles team and an injured Detroit team is more keeping Cory fresh than anything else.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#280 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,325 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:29 PM

@TGfireandice: DeBoer said not accurate to say Schneider has taken over as No. 1. Said he took ball and ran with it before break as Brodeur did earlier

i want to tell myself this is PDB lying through his teeth because of the current circus, but jesus is it infuriating.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users