304 replies to this topic

#21 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,758 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:23 PM

Here's my thing about DeBoer- I know I bitch about him a lot. But I actually do think he's a good hockey coach. The players have not quit on him. They play for him. I'm not completely convinced he should be fired YET, although my frustration gets the best of me after games like last night. Its his lineup decisions that are giving me grey hairs. I just don't know what he sees with some of his decisions on who to play and how much ice time they should get (Gionta and Sal come immediately to mind). And I like Gionta too, I don't mean to rip on him as much as I do- but he's nothing more than a fourth line plug, and Pete thinks he's his brother sometimes. Drives me insane. That's my conflict on Pete- good coach and I like him personally, but sh!tty with young players, and makes bone-headed line-up decisions.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#22 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:26 PM

Pretty sure most everyone feels that way.

#23 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,205 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:32 PM

All I'll say is this

Plenty of Devils coaches have done better and still gotten canned. It is odd how Lou has stuck with Deboer when Robinson and Julien got fired for reasons most of us still don't understand.

He did have the Cup run...but he's also likely going to miss the playoff consecutive years

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#24 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,896 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:35 PM

Is this a joke thread?

DeBoer has done a great job with a hodgepodge of 2nd and 3rd tier types of older, slower players and inexperience kids. We had cap issues before this year and Lou did a great job signing Clowe, Ryder and Jagr on the cheap. Deboer has the team competitive despite not having a consistent core group of players on defense. Without Deboer we would be the worst team in the league.

Not a joke. Like I said, I don't think he should be, but more and more people are saying the opposite. It's gets thrown into every other thread, so I figured it made sense to start something where it can all be discussed in one plac.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#25 mfitz804

mfitz804

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:38 PM

I'm never a fan of firing a coach who isn't provided with the tools needed to win. When you lose Parise and Kovy and don't replace either of them with anyone even approaching their level, you aren't going to be successful.

#26 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,436 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:48 PM

Not a joke. Like I said, I don't think he should be, but more and more people are saying the opposite. It's gets thrown into every other thread, so I figured it made sense to start something where it can all be discussed in one plac.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If that's the case, then thanks for starting this topic, Daniel.    But, I haven't seen anyone make the case to fire him yet in this thread.    

A lot of moaning and groaning, but nothing concrete.     For those of you that think Deboer needs to go, I have one name for you:  John Maclean

All I'll say is this

Plenty of Devils coaches have done better and still gotten canned. It is odd how Lou has stuck with Deboer when Robinson and Julien got fired for reasons most of us still don't understand.

He did have the Cup run...but he's also likely going to miss the playoff consecutive years

Never understood the Julien firing myself.

He is may not make the playoffs for consecutive years, but he also has been hamstrung with a mediocre line-up that plays hard, but lacks the talent.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#27 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,436 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:51 PM

You say it's a rebuilding and yet you want Pete here for that? Does not compute. I'm under the impression that we are rebuilding as well and that's the main reason I want Pete gone. He has shown time and time again that he can't handle young players. If this is going to turn into the rebuilding it needs to be, he has to go before he ruins every young player we have to the point of no return.

Tell that to Gelinas, Merrill, Tedenby, JJ and Boucher, etc.   DeBoer has given the kids multiple opportunities to prove themselves and most of them just aren't ready for the big time yet.

IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#28 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:53 PM

Here's my thing about DeBoer- I know I bitch about him a lot. But I actually do think he's a good hockey coach. The players have not quit on him. They play for him. I'm not completely convinced he should be fired YET, although my frustration gets the best of me after games like last night. Its his lineup decisions that are giving me grey hairs. I just don't know what he sees with some of his decisions on who to play and how much ice time they should get (Gionta and Sal come immediately to mind). And I like Gionta too, I don't mean to rip on him as much as I do- but he's nothing more than a fourth line plug, and Pete thinks he's his brother sometimes. Drives me insane. That's my conflict on Pete- good coach and I like him personally, but sh!tty with young players, and makes bone-headed line-up decisions.

I couldn't have said it better myself man!

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#29 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:05 PM

I posted in the last GDT that it won't be long before everyone gets on Lou Lams case this thread is missed named this is the start of the negative Lou Lams thread. Have at it Devils fans. Lou Lams is a control freak that has his hands on everything 100% he allowed the goalie contrivesary he gave DeBoer the players, he controls who go to the AHL and who comes back and he writes the contracts, and selects the Captain.

Devils fans you're moving in the right direction .

#30 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:14 PM

I'd like to see Lou make a few moves before firing Pete. Use that last compliance buyout on either Volch or Salvador and try to land someone like Stastny this offseason. Give him one more year with a solid roster.

Why bother when he doesn't even play talent where he has it?
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#31 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:17 PM

Tell that to Gelinas, Merrill, Tedenby, JJ and Boucher, etc. DeBoer has given the kids multiple opportunities to prove themselves and most of them just aren't ready for the big time yet.

A coach is supposed to teach and instruct. Alarming is how now multiple players have indicated there is no communication or instruction coming from this coaching staff. Deboer was criticized for this in Florida and even back in juniors. He's never gonna change .

I'm never a fan of firing a coach who isn't provided with the tools needed to win. When you lose Parise and Kovy and don't replace either of them with anyone even approaching their level, you aren't going to be successful.

Good coaches find a way.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

#32 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:19 PM

funny, i have very little issue with pdb. he's working with the hand he's dealt and i truly believe that lou controls that roster 100% with regards to who is on it. plus, if lou wanted josefson playing (or loktionov), they'd be playing. i can tell you that the players like pdb. and that's not because he's a "players coach" who lets them get away with murder. he's not. everyone knows that this is lou's team and will be until he's gone (not that i'm advocating that).

if this team misses the playoffs this year, the fault would lie on bad shootouts that no coach can fix and an over reliance on marty which no coach could handle better than pete at this point.

i am for stability.

Well if you are for keeping Lou, you are also for senility. And there is no stability here the last few years or with how Rip van Winkle runs his roster.

I'm for change and for winning.

#33 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,920 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:45 PM

If this team had won 4 shootouts, absolutely no one but loons like coldply would be talking about firing DeBoer.  They might be unhappy with some of his roster choices - I certainly am - but I defy you to find a coach where the fans aren't upset.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#34 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:46 PM

This is one of the most rational threads I've seen in recent weeks anywhere. 

Finally some people are giving DeBoer some credit, considering Lou hooked him up with a 3rd and 4th liner team. Considering our 36 and 42 year olds are the leading scorers, there's a problem with our roster, not the coach, and that's on Lou.

I think this is Lou's way of acknowledging that the current state of the team is his and Conte's fault. A new coach might only make things worse considering the D-quality roster we have at their disposal (outside of Schneider who may be our only "elite" player right now and moving forward).

Edited by DJ Eco, 01 February 2014 - 04:49 PM.

#35 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:47 PM

We could use stability behind the bench, and Pete is a devil type coach in my opinion. everyone gets on him for his lack of emotion during games, but the coach should be level headed for the most part. I loved his confrontation with tortorella, but generally I think the coach needs to be a calming presence and keep the group focused.

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

#36 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:27 PM

I don't mind his calm demeanor. We have so many veterans, he shouldn't have to get angry to prove his point. It worked so well for Tortorella, right?

#37 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,436 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:40 PM

A coach is supposed to teach and instruct. Alarming is how now multiple players have indicated there is no communication or instruction coming from this coaching staff. Deboer was criticized for this in Florida and even back in juniors. He's never gonna change .

Good coaches find a way.

No, the minor league is for teaching and instruction.   Young players need to be prepared for the speed and the grind at the major league level.   

NHL Head coaches are more tacticians and strategists than "teachers" at the NHL level.   Players at the NHL level need the rudiments.  

IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#38 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,436 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:44 PM

This is one of the most rational threads I've seen in recent weeks anywhere. 

I think this is Lou's way of acknowledging that the current state of the team is his and Conte's fault. A new coach might only make things worse considering the D-quality roster we have at their disposal (outside of Schneider who may be our only "elite" player right now and moving forward).

I agree.   We haven't drafted an impact forward since Zach.   There is not alot of talent upfront to choose from.   I love Boucher, but he is still not ready yet.   Would love to see Matteau in the next year or so.

IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#39 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,383 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:45 PM

Everyone needs to be fired and sued.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#40 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,683 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:48 PM

If this team had won 4 shootouts, absolutely no one but loons like coldply would be talking about firing DeBoer.  They might be unhappy with some of his roster choices - I certainly am - but I defy you to find a coach where the fans aren't upset.

If PDB didn't feel he had to pander to Marty earlier in the season and played Cory a few times more, and screw 4 shootout wins, I'd take 3 - we'd be in a playoff spot - which is all that people care about.

It's the roster's mediocrity, not Pete's.

If there's an issue with development, etc - that's on Lou to an extent, and I'd even say the assistant coaches.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users