304 replies to this topic

#141 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,181 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:26 PM

Sounds like perhaps the players were saying the right things about their coach publicly and now things are boiling over...  If the Devils don't go 2-0 DeBoer could be got at that break. Hell... he could be gone sooner.  The clock on PDB is ticking loudly...

Well so far it's one player (and a rent-a-legend at that), maybe two if you count Marty that are unhappy with Pete at this point.  At least among the vets.  Of course if you start ticking the vets off you don't have much of a base of support since Pete sure as shooting doesn't have the young guys in his corner - aside from maybe Henrique.

The old Lou would have called Jagr up for a spanking but I don't know that the hibernating version of Lou's going to do anything.  Especially since Jagr happens to be RIGHT lol

I hope he doesn't let this affect his play.  He needs to understand that this lineup change is only for the better.

The better for who?  Jagr's had his best season in a few years with the Devils largely with that line and Zajac's been better offensively than he's been in three years.  Not great mind you but better than the ZERO he'd been in the offensive zone before he and Jagr got put together.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#142 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:28 PM

Well so far it's one player (and a rent-a-legend at that), maybe two if you count Marty that are unhappy with Pete at this point.  At least among the vets.  Of course if you start ticking the vets off you don't have much of a base of support since Pete sure as shooting doesn't have the young guys in his corner - aside from maybe Henrique.

The old Lou would have called Jagr up for a spanking but I don't know that the hibernating version of Lou's going to do anything.  Especially since Jagr happens to be RIGHT lol

The better for who?  Jagr's had his best season in a few years with the Devils largely with that line and Zajac's been better offensively than he's been in three years.  Not great mind you but better than the ZERO he'd been in the offensive zone before he and Jagr got put together.

Better for the team.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#143 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,181 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:30 PM

How is it better for the team exactly?  Zajac's been a total dud with anyone not named Jagr or Parise in the last four years and the latter ain't coming back anytime soon.  I can't imagine Jagr being better than what he's been already this year.  That line's the only one producing, it makes zero sense to blow it up.  Do whatever the heck you want with the other three lines, short of making CBGB the second line.  He's more reluctant to break them up than he is the top line.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 04 February 2014 - 10:34 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#144 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:35 PM

How is it better for the team exactly?  Zajac's been a total dud with anyone not named Jagr or Parise in the last four years and the latter ain't coming back anytime soon.  I can't imagine Jagr being better than what he's been already this year.  That line's the only one producing, it makes zero sense to blow it up.  Do whatever the heck you want with the other three lines.

I apologize for not making my point clear.  Pete isn't doing it to piss off Jagr.  He's doing it in an attempt to try and get more scoring from guys not named Jagr.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#145 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,858 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:39 PM

It'll be interesting to see what happens here - who do the other plays side with, PDB or the disgruntled veterans?  If PDB loses the locker room you can be sure that'll be the nail in the coffin.

But yeah, Jagr's probably being a bit of a diva but..he's got a point, in this instance.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#146 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:26 PM

One of my many unpopular opinions, but fvck Jagr. This isn't how things are handled in New Jersey. I hated the signing, he grew on me after his hot start, but I'm sick of him. I've said that Zajac's game has greatly improved from playing with and learning from Jagr, but he can take some notes from Travis about conducting himself with a bit of class. I didn't expect a 41 year old of his profile to sign a one year deal and have any respect for the club.

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

#147 Beezer34

Beezer34

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:29 AM

One of my many unpopular opinions, but fvck Jagr. This isn't how things are handled in New Jersey. I hated the signing, he grew on me after his hot start, but I'm sick of him.

..you're out of your mind. Jagr was hardly venting to the media by saying; "there's alot I could say, but I won't" -and questioning the motive of this change. He's right to question it. Jagr & Zajac have combined for nearly 80 points in 55 games. They're not the problem. The problem is DeBoer. He's under .500 the three years in NJ, just as he was the 3 years with the Panthers. If it comes to siding with the logic of a 42 year-old Jagr -vs- a 45 year-old coach who's made the playoffs once in 6 years.. I'm siding with JJ.

PD has one foot already in the grave, and he's desperately trying anything and everything before the clock strikes midnight. The only reason Lou hasn't already pulled the trigger is because there's too many games left in the season to not save face for the incumbent Scott Stevens. By March when there's a smaller sample size left for Stevens, like 17 games left to play (if they still can't stop the bleeding) Cousin Eddie will be shown the door, and coaching in Kitchener next season.

Edited by Beezer34, 05 February 2014 - 10:58 AM.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#148 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:25 AM

..you're out of your mind. Jagr was hardly venting to the media by saying; "there's alot I could say, but I won't" -and questioning the motive of this change. He's right to question it. Jagr & Zajac have combined for nearly 80 points in 55 games. They're not the problem. The problem is DeBoer. He's under .500 the three years in NJ, just as he was the 3 years with the Panthers. If it comes to siding with the logic of a 42 year-old Jagr -vs- a 45 year-old coach who's made the playoffs once in 6 years.. I'm siding with JJ.

PD has one foot already in the grave, and he's desperately trying anything and everything before the clock strikes midnight. The only reason Lou hasn't already pulled the trigger is because there's too many games left in the season to not save face for the incumbent Scott Stevens. By March when there's a smaller sample size left for Stevens, like 17 games left to play (if they still can't stop the bleeding) Cousin Eddie will be shown the door, and coaching in Kitchener next season.

I'm no DB fanboy, but what Pete is trying to do is get the rest of the team going offensively.  Jagr hasn't been with Zajac the entire time here, and he has produced playing without him.  I think it was the 5-0 Nashville game when Zajac and Jagr were paired together.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#149 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:48 AM

I dont like the move with only 2 games left before the break. keep the line intact and change after the olympics.  but its not that big of a deal because deboer will just change right back if lokti messes up on the first shift, lol

#150 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:17 PM

Yeah pete plays around with the lines so I won't be surprised if zajac get moved back up in the middle of the game depending on the situation.

I don't mind the move because honestly I think jagr is going to help anyone out be it loktionov zajac zubrus Boucher, whoever. This move is not to spark the jagr line it's supposed to help the Elias line, which hasn't done anything the past few games. Plus loktionov is going to get a real chance to look good here, so that's a bonus.

#151 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:57 PM

One thing I will say, is that DeBoer is beginning to lose the locker room. Not good.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#152 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,737 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:23 PM

well not because only 2 of the guys who can afford to say something actually went out and said something. Dont you think Larsson,Josefson, Fayne and all those guys would have a lot to say about DeBoer if you'd ask them in private? 

www.SterioDesign.com

#153 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,990 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:11 PM

One thing I will say, is that DeBoer is beginning to lose the locker room. Not good.

Calling bullsh!t on this. Unless you're in that locker room there's no way of knowing

#154 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:34 PM

Calling bullsh!t on this. Unless you're in that locker room there's no way of knowing

Whether you call it 'bullsh!t' or not, it's fact. You are losing control of the locker room when your leading scorer says about being juggled around the lines,

It doesn’t make sense to me and I don’t want to talk about it either,” 

and then sarcastically:

“That makes sense. Me and Travis, we didn’t score many.”

and then...

“I’ve got a lot, but I’m not going to say it,” Jagr said. “I’m just looking for peace in my body.” 

and....

When asked his thoughts on playing with Loktionov, Jagr said, “I don’t know. I don’t think I have an answer for you today. I don’t know what to say. I don’t understand a lot of things, so…”

#155 NJDevs26

NJDevs26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:52 PM

Losing Jagr does not equal losing the locker room, Jagr's been here half a season.

well not because only 2 of the guys who can afford to say something actually went out and said something. Dont you think Larsson,Josefson, Fayne and all those guys would have a lot to say about DeBoer if you'd ask them in private? 

Of course they would, but you're not basing the coach losing the locker room on what a few marginal players think.

#156 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:54 PM

Losing Jagr does not equal losing the locker room, Jagr's been here half a season.

Of course they would, but you're not basing the coach losing the locker room on what a few marginal players think.

Do you think Schneider is as happily looking at the faces around him in the dressing room, now, than in the beginning of the season, before they supplied him with no goal support and allowed far too many late leads slip away? In some regards, I'm sure things are fine in some regards, but a room full of frustrated individuals is rarely a successful one

6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#157 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:57 PM

"beginning to lose the locker room"

#158 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:14 PM

Can we wait to play one game until we declare the "lockeroom is lost" if we win 5-1 on Friday with these lines I guarantee you nobody in the lockeroom is complaining.

The only thing that threatens "losing a lockeroom" (what does that even mean really?) is losing. Results are all that matter.

#159 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:24 PM

Can we wait to play one game until we declare the "lockeroom is lost" if we win 5-1 on Friday with these lines I guarantee you nobody in the lockeroom is complaining.

The only thing that threatens "losing a lockeroom" (what does that even mean really?) is losing. Results are all that matter.

Another person who takes a quote and distorts it. No one said the "locker room is lost". It might even totally turn around. You waste everyone's time if you start debating things no one is arguing.

As far as your second point goes, well, it's unoriginal and fallacious. We all know winning is the most important thing, please don't present the point in a didactic matter. Just because winning makes things better does not make false the arguments about a coach losing a locker room when not winning. It is still a coach's duty to maintain the players' unity when losing, winning, or somewhere in between.

Edited by Neb00rs, 05 February 2014 - 04:27 PM.

#160 Beezer34

Beezer34

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:45 PM

Can we wait to play one game until we declare the "lockeroom is lost"?

..because we don't need to. There's little need to dissect each and every quote without knowing the score on this one. The title of this thread is; "Fire DeBoer" -and 193 wins in 433 games coached is enough of a reason for me to not consider bringing him back for a 7th NHL season. -Sorry!

This organization was never satisfied with mediocrity (go ask Claude Juilen) ..it's a shame we've gotten used to it somewhere over the last 4 seasons.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users