Photo

Super Bowl Thread....Sports Entertainmentzzzz for all!!!

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#41 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:13 PM

Malcolm smith mvp

#42 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,425 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:44 PM

defense wins championships
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#43 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,418 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:50 PM

Yes. But Peyton isn't a piece of garbage slime ball like Pete Carroll.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Part of me had a huge problem with the way they were trying to roll it up late, throwing the ball with two minutes left, going for it on fourth down...but with the way Denver just LAID DOWN I really have no sympathy for them either.  Good christ, even the Jets would be more competitive than that or at least Rex's defense would.

Malcolm smith mvp

I thought it should have been Harvin myself...but it probably seems more fitting if it goes to someone on the defense and defenders never usually get it anyway so whatever.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#44 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,980 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:04 AM

I am stunned. I can't believe how badly Denver got outplayed. I never saw it coming.

#45 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,266 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:21 AM

Happy for the people of Seattle, they are some of the best sports fans in the country.

All told, that might've been the worst Super Bowl ever. Even the commercials sucked.

Yep, pretty much a waste of time...don't even get me started on Bruno Mars. :argh:

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#46 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,425 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:03 AM

All told, that might've been the worst Super Bowl ever. Even the commercials sucked.

No argument from me. Denver had to be the worst prepared team ever to play in a Super Bowl.

And the ads sucked too. Only the Radio Shack ad was memorable.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#47 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,504 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:37 AM

I am stunned. I can't believe how badly Denver got outplayed. I never saw it coming.

Time and time again these "high powered" offenses get shutdown come playoff time.  I've seen it happen for years with the Patriot offense.  I didn't think the Broncos would get held to single digits, but I wasn't that surprised to see them get stifled.  The Broncos are basically the Patriots West of the past several seasons...they can beat up on a lot of bad to mediocre Ds in the regular season (which covers up for their own bad to mediocre Ds), but put them up against a truly GOOD defense and a solid gameplan and the Pats and the Broncos suddenly look very vulnerable.  Everyone gets sucked in by the run-it-up big numbers (I used to, but I don't anymore), but it's a lot tougher when you're not going up Ds that have almost chance to shut you down.  BB should really take a good long look at what Seattle does on D.  Not saying he should try to emulate it exactly (not like personnel like Seattle's just falls from the sky), but enough with "bend but don't break".  It is possible to dominate and not hope to hold opponents to field goals or hope they make a mistake that leads to a turnover.

One thing for sure:  if the Pats had faced the Seahawks in the Super Bowl, I think the results probably would've been similar.  Pats probably would've lost by 30 or so.      

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 03 February 2014 - 08:39 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#48 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,418 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:48 AM

I somehow think it would have been closer, I've never seen the Pats get flat-out embarassed the way the Broncos did yesterday (or the way Peyton did against the Jets in the '01 Wild Card game), but yesterday did bring to mind the whole AFC/NFC dynamic of the late '80's where the NFC Championship is the real Super Bowl.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#49 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,504 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:57 AM

I somehow think it would have been closer, I've never seen the Pats get flat-out embarassed the way the Broncos did yesterday (or the way Peyton did against the Jets in the '01 Wild Card game), but yesterday did bring to mind the whole AFC/NFC dynamic of the late '80's where the NFC Championship is the real Super Bowl.

They've had some tough playoff losses.  Baltimore lit them up pretty good in that WC game and last season, and in NE no less. 

Pats' O-line didn't have a great year, not many offensive weapons at the moment...and their D is shaky.   

I think the Pats would've scored 10-14 points, but I also think they would've given up over 40.  That would've been an awful matchup for the Patriots.   

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#50 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,478 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:20 AM

I had pick Seatle, and was rooting for them ( tired of all teh Peyton hype, he's great, but definitely not the best ever).

Never expected Seatle to steam roll like that, but it wa fun

Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#51 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,980 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:55 PM

They really lucked out with the weather yesterday -- that's for sure.

#52 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,418 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:20 PM

They really lucked out with the weather yesterday -- that's for sure.

Especially since the snowstorm came through just a few hours later...the NFL must have really sold its soul to the devil to hold off on the weather.  Too bad they couldn't fix NJ Transit :P

http://www.nj.com/su...#incart_m-rpt-2

The line for the train - about 50 people wide and stretching the equivalent of two blocks - frustrated 60-year-old Ken Magnin so much he abandoned it.   Magnin, who traveled from Denver for the game, pulled out a map of the stadium and its environs and sought to plot a way out of the area on foot. He said he planned to call someone to pick him up once he cleared the stadium property.

"This sucks," Magnin said. "They did not plan for this at all." 

#53 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,425 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:01 PM

The Pats would have been prepared for this game and probably would have come to a 4th quarter victory for either.    Denver did not prepare for this game.

Edited by MantaRay, 03 February 2014 - 07:31 PM.

IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#54 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:45 PM

It wasn't s bad Superbowl. People just thought Denver was gonna win or be close. Seattle set the tempo within the first few plays.

#55 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,027 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:38 PM

Denver never settled down. I honestly think they would have been better off if the safety was a Seattle touchdown. That way they would've been back on the field right away, rather than sit on the sideline for a long drive with it on their minds

#56 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,504 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:23 PM

It wasn't a bad Superbowl. People just thought Denver was gonna win or be close. Seattle set the tempo within the first few plays.

It was "bad" in that was non-competitive.  But it was nice to see a team win by playing tough defense.  I actually didn't feel like I was watching an AFL game for a change. 

Left work early and was stuck on I-78 for a while, so I put on Fat fvck on the WFAN just to hear what he had to say about the game.  After stammering his way through why he doesn't care about losing his YES gig (you care Mike...you can admit it), he stammered his way through his monologue on the game. 

I agree with his take on Peyton though...you can tell what kind of a game he's going to have by the end of the first quarter or so.  He's always been more of a frontrunner who is prone to dropping his head and getting rattled when things aren't going his way.  He's never really been a true battler on the field (though what he did in the 2006 AFC Championship game was truly amazing). 

Brady is definitely more of a rah-rah rally-the-troops-type, and that HAS produced positive results, but he can almost over-do that sometimes, to the point where he's getting so keyed up his throws start missing their marks, and he's just yelling at everyone (including himself). 

Basically, both guys are clearly the best of their generation, but neither is without flaws. 

#30 FOREVER!

#57 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:48 PM

I wouldn't put all the blame on Peyton. That defense couldn't stop a beach ball to save their life. You see clearly that Peyton can rip apart mediocre defenses, but he can't do it by himself, against the cream of the crop. That's the issue. Brady and Peyton can't win every game single handedly and they have to.

#58 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,504 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:05 PM

I wouldn't put all the blame on Peyton. That defense couldn't stop a beach ball to save their life. You see clearly that Peyton can rip apart mediocre defenses, but he can't do it by himself, against the cream of the crop. That's the issue. Brady and Peyton can't win every game single handedly and they have to.

It's not all on Peyton, but he did not play well either.  The Broncos' D did keep them in the game early on, but the O just never got it going. 

I agree that it's on Peyton and Brady A LOT to lead their teams to victories.  I know the Pats' D was clearly derailed by injuries this season, but I still wonder when the hell BB is going to put together a D that doesn't routinely get carved up. 

#30 FOREVER!

#59 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:13 PM

Your right. Bailey seems to never show up for the big games either, folds like paper under pressure. It'll be madly interesting to see what happens to their qb situation, regarding Peyton retires or is forced to.

It's not all on Peyton, but he did not play well either. The Broncos' D did keep them in the game early on, but the O just never got it going.

I agree that it's on Peyton and Brady A LOT to lead their teams to victories. I know the Pats' D was clearly derailed by injuries this season, but I still wonder when the hell BB is going to put together a D that doesn't routinely get carved up.

#60 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,504 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:27 PM

Champ is really getting up there...not sure how much he has left.

#30 FOREVER!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users