411 replies to this topic

#201 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:27 AM

Just look up seasonal game logs...they're everywhere.  Just have to count up the wins and losses.

Ah, that makes sense. More work than I was intending on doing, but makes sense.

So, going back all the way to 2000-2001, since the turn of the millenium we've been 12-13 in playoff overtime. Not quite .500, but definitely not cursed. 5-12 in the 1990s decade with Marty personally going 3-11 in that time period. That's when we were cursed.

Edited by NewarkDevil5, 07 February 2014 - 11:55 AM.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#202 NLinfante

NLinfante

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:36 AM

All good points - yeah, I don't think NJ should go crazy and get Vanek or something like that, but if there's a deal available that doesn't impact the future significantly and can improve the 1st line LW spot, I'd consider it.  

I agree 100%. To me, the contract of the player being acquired is almost as important as the player himself. Rentals (especially high priced ones) are for teams looking for the extra push to legitimately contend for a cup. They are a tougher sell for a team just looking to get in. There is actually less risk for Boston trying to acquire Vanek than there is for NJ.

(And, obviously I'm just using Vanek as an example since he's probably this year's top rental).

Edited by NLinfante, 07 February 2014 - 11:38 AM.

#203 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:00 PM

Let's just skip the deadline and make a huge play for Matt Moulson this offseason. That's who I'd like this team to target. This season at this point has left the crapshoot odds behind and is heading more towards roulette.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#204 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:05 PM

Id sell clowe for a dollar right now. but NO team is touching that contract

#205 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,780 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:14 PM

Well this guy might buy that for a dollar

original.jpg

#206 RangersSuck23

RangersSuck23

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:43 PM

Ugh, not for nothing, but Clowe has been one of our better players lately

#207 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,280 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:55 PM

Ugh, not for nothing, but Clowe has been one of our better players lately

Concussion history is a little scary, but the Devils were aware of it going in.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#208 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,715 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:00 PM

Concussion history is a little scary, but the Devils were aware of it going in.

Thats what desperation gets you. And that's what it really was

www.SterioDesign.com

#209 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:13 PM

Would anyone consider taking a shot at Drew Stafford on the cheap?

#210 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,838 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:20 PM

Would anyone consider taking a shot at Drew Stafford on the cheap?

Depends on your definition of "on the cheap"

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#211 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:30 PM

IMO since were just on the outside of the bubble rather than look for guys we want we should consider who or what of value we'd be willing to give up for a rental. IMO a guy like stafford or camilleri (and of course vanek) couldn't be had without a decent prospect or high draft pick involved. Here is what id feel comfortable parting with at this point without considering ourselves "sellers":

Zidlicky
Fayne
Matteau
Brunner
Any of Salvador volchenkov or Harrold.
Maybe a 2015 2nd rounder.

Obviously all of those things have varying value, some may not bring back anything of substance and the higher priced rentals couldn't be had for most of them, but if anything outside of that list is involved I would hope it'd be for a player signed past this year.

#212 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,715 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:44 PM

IMO since were just on the outside of the bubble rather than look for guys we want we should consider who or what of value we'd be willing to give up for a rental. IMO a guy like stafford or camilleri (and of course vanek) couldn't be had without a decent prospect or high draft pick involved. Here is what id feel comfortable parting with at this point without considering ourselves "sellers":

Zidlicky
Fayne
Matteau
Brunner
Any of Salvador volchenkov or Harrold.
Maybe a 2015 2nd rounder.

Obviously all of those things have varying value, some may not bring back anything of substance and the higher priced rentals couldn't be had for most of them, but if anything outside of that list is involved I would hope it'd be for a player signed past this year.

So... not that i care much about Matteau, but you'd be willing to even put the possibility that this happen...

1- Not giving up the 29th pick

2- Drafting Matteau

3- Burned a year of his ELC for nothing again because of Lou's mishandling of the roster

4- Trade Matteau for a guy who might not help at all and we still miss the playoffs

5- Whoever we'd get walk this summer

6- Pretty much loss our first round picks of 2012 and 2014 for absolutely nothing... and when we need it the most too.

i know this is a doom and gloom scenario but why would we even risk that? We took enough hits in the last few year

Edited by SterioDesign, 07 February 2014 - 01:47 PM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#213 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,983 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:08 PM

Please God...

Edited by MadDog2020, 07 February 2014 - 02:08 PM.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#214 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,983 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:11 PM

http://www.nj.com/de...ove_coming.htmlAnton Volchenkov will not be in the Devils’ lineup when they host the Edmonton Oilers Friday night at Prudential Center.

While it would logically be Peter Harrold stepping in for Volchenkov, coach Pete DeBoer was evasive when asked who would take the Russian’s place.

“We’ll decide that after the pregame skate,” DeBoer said.

That could mean the Devils are planning a roster move, if not a trade, prior to the 3 p.m. Olympic roster freeze.

#215 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:12 PM

So... not that i care much about Matteau, but you'd be willing to even put the possibility that this happen...

1- Not giving up the 29th pick
2- Drafting Matteau
3- Burned a year of his ELC for nothing again because of Lou's mishandling of the roster
4- Trade Matteau for a guy who might not help at all and we still miss the playoffs
5- Whoever we'd get walk this summer
6- Pretty much loss our first round picks of 2012 and 2014 for absolutely nothing... and when we need it the most too.

i know this is a doom and gloom scenario but why would we even risk that? We took enough hits in the last few year

IMO the history of how we drafted Matteau and the whole kovy penalty should have little bearing on how we value him in terms of potential trades. I personally see him as a third line nhler- (in 2 years) and not the answer to our scoring problems.

It's not like im looking to trade him but like I said for the right guy I would consider it.

#216 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,620 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:33 PM

http://www.nj.com/de...ove_coming.htmlAnton Volchenkov will not be in the Devils’ lineup when they host the Edmonton Oilers Friday night at Prudential Center.

While it would logically be Peter Harrold stepping in for Volchenkov, coach Pete DeBoer was evasive when asked who would take the Russian’s place.

“We’ll decide that after the pregame skate,” DeBoer said.

That could mean the Devils are planning a roster move, if not a trade, prior to the 3 p.m. Olympic roster freeze.

Could we even get a defenseman from Albany on this short notice if there's a trade, since I would assume a defenseman would be the one who is traded.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#217 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,471 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:36 PM

Could we even get a defenseman from Albany on this short notice if there's a trade, since I would assume a defenseman would be the one who is traded.

If you told the defenseman to leave for NJ this morning, just in case.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#218 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,620 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:49 PM

If you told the defenseman to leave for NJ this morning, just in case.

Well, we'll see in 15 minutes, although can that even be kept under wraps? Would also mean it would be either Merrill or a nothing trade.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#219 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,838 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:25 PM

So no such luck, huh. No noise of a move :(

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#220 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,983 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:27 PM

So no such luck, huh. No noise of a move :(

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Haha a move... Nope, gonna run Salvador and Harrold out there some more. Should work out great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users