411 replies to this topic

#261 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:40 AM

nobody speculated about the trade at all, I don't know where RS is getting that from. There were hundred page long threads where people kept speculating if nichuskin would fall to us, but not one mention of Schneider. Like i said earlier there were many who were stunned on here that we didn't draft a forward prospect.

But overall my problem with not giving Lou credit for the trade is you know if Schneider doesn't re-sign, people are going to absolutely crucify Lou for giving up the pick for 2 years of Schneider. You can't be willing to blame Lou if the trade goes bad but not give him credit if it works out.

Where did i say the word speculate in my post? Triumph said that word, i.e. where he didn't remember anyone speculating about it (CS to the Devils) and he's right. No one ever did because no one who had any cred honestly thought that CS was the one being traded. By June, Luongo had one foot out the door toe dragging the other. If Lou had any interest in CS from the week of the draft onward it's not going to be public knowledge for discussion like anything else he does. 

Lou had less then a handful of teams to compete against at best and the only other serious suitor was Edmonton. Lou didn't have to offer more then the pick because he had no other team upping the ante on him. It was a coup and robbery and sometimes GM's of any stature fall into a player like this due to the market or any number of things.

Edited by TheRedStorm, 08 February 2014 - 11:54 AM.

The Devil wears Prada....and has the luggage to match :-)

#262 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:53 AM

People only realize when you fvck up your job rather than when you're doing your job.  Schneider is actually another reason why we shouldn't go in rebuild mode.  Why would a GM trade a high draft pick for a player who's going to be a UFA just after 2 seasons with the team if he was trying to rebuild?  Granted Lou could always trade Schneider if he wanted to.  But if Vancouver could only muster one first round pick for guy with 2 years left on his contract, how much can we expect Lou to get for him with one year left on his contract?

CS is a cornerstone, but he's not going to do it on his own. This team needs help. When a soon to be 42 year old on a one year deal is your best player, you've got problems. As 118 said, you're not looking at this realistically once again. This roster is ripe with depth that is ideal to go to playoff teams and contenders. It's the perfect situation to take a step back to go forward. Remember, the cap is going up too. Dumping a contract off and making room to take another is there. 

There are underachieving teams that need a boost to solidify a playoff spot or get in. The Devils are not one of those. The only reason they even have hope is because they're a East/Metro squad. The Devils are what they are and you see it every game. The credit to them is they play hard and compete, but they do not have enough offensively that one trade for Cammalieri will solve. This team needs a legit  top 3-6 skilled forward with speed first (and they don't grow on trees)  THEN you can deal for the Cammalieri's of the league. 

Gillis wasn't getting more for CS last June because there was no teams running up the ante on one another competing for him. If there was, perhaps Lou wasn't making that deal unless he was dead set on CS even if it meant Merrill, Gelinas or Larrson, Matteau...whatever. That we just don't know.

Edited by TheRedStorm, 08 February 2014 - 12:07 PM.

The Devil wears Prada....and has the luggage to match :-)

#263 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,991 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:24 PM

I wonder if Bouch gets called back up to LW Zajac and Jagr after the Olympics if a trade cannot be had. He played pretty damn well I thought in the one game he got with them. 

#264 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:49 PM

Where did i say the word speculate in my post? Triumph said that word, i.e. where he didn't remember anyone speculating about it (CS to the Devils) and he's right. No one ever did because no one who had any cred honestly thought that CS was the one being traded. By June, Luongo had one foot out the door toe dragging the other. If Lou had any interest in CS from the week of the draft onward it's not going to be public knowledge for discussion like anything else he does. 

Lou had less then a handful of teams to compete against at best and the only other serious suitor was Edmonton. Lou didn't have to offer more then the pick because he had no other team upping the ante on him. It was a coup and robbery and sometimes GM's of any stature fall into a player like this due to the market or any number of things.

sorry I shouldn't have said speculate but you made it seem like it was obvious one of the flyers Edmonton or us were going to get him. I guess you've cleared it up but I still can't understand how the trade just fell into his lap... The argument that only a handful of teams were competing for CS could be said of just about any trade- if we put jägr on the block after the Olympic break I'm sure there will only be a handful of teams interested.

Trades don't just happen, and by saying it fell into his lap you are making it sound like it was a no-brainer with no risk involved, when in fact if Cory leaves next year we'll spend the next decade grimacing watching nichuskin turn into a top line winger.

#265 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:24 PM

Id like Schwartz from St. Louis, would Harrold, Fayne and/or fifth round pick get it done? I know they don't need defense really, but Schwartz seems intriguing.

#266 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,665 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:39 PM

Id like Schwartz from St. Louis, would Harrold, Fayne and/or fifth round pick get it done? I know they don't need defense really, but Schwartz seems intriguing.

They would laugh at that offer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#267 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:41 PM

Fayne has some nice value to him though.

#268 mfitz804

mfitz804

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 05:18 PM

I can't recall an instance in recent memory where the Devils were "sellers". Have they ever outright just started dumping salary? Seems to me as long as they are close enough to make a run at the playoffs, there will be no mass exodus.

There may be trades but it won't be to dump people, it will be to bring value back and try to close the 5 point gap (as of last night, last nights games may make that number different).

#269 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,060 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 05:22 PM

I can't recall an instance in recent memory where the Devils were "sellers". Have they ever outright just started dumping salary? Seems to me as long as they are close enough to make a run at the playoffs, there will be no mass exodus.

There may be trades but it won't be to dump people, it will be to bring value back and try to close the 5 point gap (as of last night, last nights games may make that number different).

In 2011 we dumped Langs and Arnott- that's the last time we were truly 'sellers'.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#270 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 05:43 PM

In 2011 we dumped Langs and Arnott- that's the last time we were truly 'sellers'.

We dumped Langs to Dallas because he didn't like Lemaire.  After that, we went on that amazing run.  We did sell Arnie though.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#271 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,258 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:12 AM

does either side do taylor hall for larsson and henrique?

for an oilers team that is trying to find an identity and has all the offensive talent and the devils who need to find someone who is an absolute proven scorer.

i think this trade makes sense for both teams. and i'm high on larsson obviously but taylor hall is really good.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#272 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,060 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:15 AM

for an oilers team that is trying to find an identity and has all the offensive talent and the devils who need to find someone who is an absolute proven scorer.

i think this trade makes sense for both teams. and i'm high on larsson obviously but taylor hall is really good.

I think I'd pull the trigger on that if it was offered. That would be a good move for both teams.

And I love Larsson, but you have to give to get.

#273 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:23 AM

Start with Henrique

#274 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:25 AM

I'd be hesitant throwing Henrique in there. Cause we'd gain a proven scorer who could bring 30 goals on a regular basis, but we'd also lose about 15-20 goals per season in Henrique... gaining an extra 10-15 goals while throwing a top dman at the same time... not sure

i'd do Larsson + something else than another scoring forward for Hall though. In a heartbeat.

Edited by SterioDesign, 09 February 2014 - 10:26 AM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#275 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,060 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:28 AM

I'd be hesitant throwing Henrique in there. Cause we'd gain a proven scorer who could bring 30 goals on a regular basis, but we'd also lose about 15-20 goals per season in Henrique... gaining an extra 10-15 goals while throwing a top dman at the same time... not sure

i'd do Larsson + something else than another scoring forward for Hall though. In a heartbeat.

Larsson, Boucher, Brunner for Hall? I doubt that would get it done though.

#276 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:31 AM

Larsson, Boucher, Brunner for Hall? I doubt that would get it done though.

I'd throw Larsson + Santini + a 2nd or something. Like i said i wouldnt throw ANY of our future scoring in there. We're gonna need Boucher in the future for sure.

Plus wouldnt make sense for EDM to grab boucher, they are bad cause they already have too much of the same player and boucher is another one.

www.SterioDesign.com

#277 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,060 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:39 AM

I'd throw Larsson + Santini + a 2nd or something. Like i said i wouldnt throw ANY of our future scoring in there. We're gonna need Boucher in the future for sure.

Plus wouldnt make sense for EDM to grab boucher, they are bad cause they already have too much of the same player and boucher is another one.

That's true re: Edmonton having enough guys like Boucher already. They really need d. I don't know how their pipeline looks, but maybe Larsson, Santini/Severson, Brunner/2nd might be enough to entice them.

#278 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:45 AM

I don't think that Henrique / Larsson resolves Edmonton's problems.  Both are relatively young with insignificant playoff / leadership experience (other than the SCF run of 2012).  

Edmonton would have to get a 1 for 1 plus "intangible" additional value for a player of Hall / RNH / Yakupov / Eberle's caliber - meaning, a player like Henrique (similar straight up value) and Elias (intangible leadership, experience value).  Or, even a combination of Zubrus / Greene / Larsson or Zajac / Volchenkov would most likely land you a player of that caliber.

We don't have those chips to give up unfortunately.

#279 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,003 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:47 AM

Both players were begging to get out. Still not convinced Lou will trade anyone unless they specifically ask to go.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#280 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:47 AM

That's true re: Edmonton having enough guys like Boucher already. They really need d. I don't know how their pipeline looks, but maybe Larsson, Santini/Severson, Brunner/2nd might be enough to entice them.

What Edm really need is a proven Dman and some warriors/board monsters/forecheckers up front

www.SterioDesign.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users