411 replies to this topic

#21 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,367 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:27 AM

I would be shocked if Jagr could fetch a first round pick. If I'm Lou I make that move should it be offered by anyone.

Rich Chere just retweeted that Vanek will be moved from the island after turning down a contract. They will be unlikely to get a good return considering what they paid for him.

Jagr is 23rd in league scoring. Keep in mind that Paul Gaustad fetched a 1st the other year. 

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#22 NLinfante

NLinfante

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:58 AM

why and why? Why wouldn't jagr fetch a first? He's playing better than last year when he was traded for a conditional first.

And why would you want to move him? We're still very much in contention and a ~#25ish pick in a weak draft isn't going to help much anytime soon. I would much rather wath jagr play the final 30 games and sink or swim with him than just give up any playoff hope for a late first.

I agree that they are by no means out of the playoffs, but it will be an uphill battle. The team has not shown the ability to put together win streaks which is exactly what it will take to get in - not hovering around .500 hockey. I'm not giving up on this team, but I'm being unbiased and reasonable about their chances. If someone is willing to give you a first in a year when you dont have one, you'd be crazy not to consider it carefully, regardless of a "weak draft" prognostication. And yes, he's been a point producer for us, but it's important to consider that a buying team at the deadline may not have the roster space in the top 6 to give him minutes like the Devils do. Other teams may value him less than NJ does, meaning they will be less willing to give up a lot to get him.

Albany is having a nice season, but they too are hovering around middle of the pack in the conference. We have lots of defensive depth moving back and forth, but other than Boucher, no real offensive threats to crack the NHL. We could use a solid scorer from this year's first round, but that might depend on what number the pick is for as well.

#23 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,919 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:03 PM

The obvious spot NJ needs help is on the top line, and most of the guys listed are right handed shots, so I don't see that working out.  I don't think they will trade for a guy to put there who shoots right handed.  

Whoever mentioned Gerbe - Gerbe is a bulk shooter w/ no scoring touch and no sense of teammates - NJ has had their share of these players over the years so feel free to pick your comparison - either way he's not really a fit.

One thing that's significant about this year as opposed to most years is that besides Jagr (and perhaps Zidlicky), NJ doesn't really have prominent guys going UFA.  I mean, this just isn't true of NJ ever - 06 they had Langenbrunner and Elias, 07 Gomez and Rafalski, 08 .. Pandolfo and Salvador, but 09 had Gionta and Madden, 10 had Kovalchuk and Martin, 11 had Langenbrunner and Arnott, 12 had Brodeur and Parise, 13 had Elias, Zidlicky, and Zubrus, etc.  Everyone else on the team is signed through next year - trouble is, I'd really want Jagr for next year.  Really wouldn't mind dealing Zidlicky though.

Edited by Triumph, 03 February 2014 - 12:13 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#24 devlman

devlman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:26 PM

Vanek would be cool if we didnt have to give up a lot

#25 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:30 PM

I agree that they are by no means out of the playoffs, but it will be an uphill battle. The team has not shown the ability to put together win streaks which is exactly what it will take to get in - not hovering around .500 hockey. I'm not giving up on this team, but I'm being unbiased and reasonable about their chances. If someone is willing to give you a first in a year when you dont have one, you'd be crazy not to consider it carefully, regardless of a "weak draft" prognostication. And yes, he's been a point producer for us, but it's important to consider that a buying team at the deadline may not have the roster space in the top 6 to give him minutes like the Devils do. Other teams may value him less than NJ does, meaning they will be less willing to give up a lot to get him.

Albany is having a nice season, but they too are hovering around middle of the pack in the conference. We have lots of defensive depth moving back and forth, but other than Boucher, no real offensive threats to crack the NHL. We could use a solid scorer from this year's first round, but that might depend on what number the pick is for as well.

right sorry I didn't mean to sound like you had given up on he team, but that's is what Lou would be doing if he trades jagr. I wouldn't mind listening to offers but again a pick in the 25-30 range IMO isn't worth it, I'd rather keep jagr and see what happens the rest if the season.

I mean take a guy like Matteau, he seems like he could be a 3rd line checking type nhler but he's still 2 years away. That's sort of the best case scenario we would get with a pick there, unless e hit the lottery and pick up the next subban but with our 1st round drafting of late I'm not betting in that.

#26 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:38 PM

One thing that's significant about this year as opposed to most years is that besides Jagr (and perhaps Zidlicky), NJ doesn't really have prominent guys going UFA. I mean, this just isn't true of NJ ever - 06 they had Langenbrunner and Elias, 07 Gomez and Rafalski, 08 .. Pandolfo and Salvador, but 09 had Gionta and Madden, 10 had Kovalchuk and Martin, 11 had Langenbrunner and Arnott, 12 had Brodeur and Parise, 13 had Elias, Zidlicky, and Zubrus, etc. Everyone else on the team is signed through next year - trouble is, I'd really want Jagr for next year. Really wouldn't mind dealing Zidlicky though.

lol uh oh, queue sterio coming in to note that we only re-signed two of those prominent guys you listed.

Seriously, it could be argued that the reason we don't have any prominent ufa's this year is because we already let them all walk over the past 6 years lol.

#27 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:42 PM

lol uh oh, queue sterio coming in to note that we only re-signed two of those prominent guys you listed.

Seriously, it could be argued that the reason we don't have any prominent ufa's this year is because we already let them all walk over the past 6 years lol.

well if you noticed and mentioned it's because there's actually something to mention lol

Edited by SterioDesign, 03 February 2014 - 12:44 PM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#28 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:51 PM

well if you noticed and mentioned it's because there's actually something to mention lol

I know and don't disagree I'm just hoping it doesn't throw the thread jnto an off topic tizzy.

#29 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:55 PM

Just got this

ESPN - LW Thomas Vanek turns down contract offer from Islanders, likely to test free-agent market, agent says

What a terrible trade the was for the isles

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#30 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:14 PM

I know and don't disagree I'm just hoping it doesn't throw the thread jnto an off topic tizzy.

personally im just gonna wait to see what Lou does this season.

but so far and in the past seems like all the teams except NJ are doing exactly what im saying Lou should at least allow himself to do. 

See Vanek, Diaz, Callahan... it's happening everywhere. Gms are checking with the players if they'll be able to keep them THEN they choose if they should keep them for a push OR trade them to assure they get something for them. It's only common sense to AT LEAST look into it, not keep yourself and the player in the dark and simply hope things go well a week before free agency.

www.SterioDesign.com

#31 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,943 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:19 PM

They need to sell. But in the end they will do nothing either way.

Selling would be so dumb.  They're 2 points out of a playoff spot.  And if we do make it, there isn't one team in the East that can steamroll us in the playoffs.  Any team we play we could make a series out of.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#32 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,943 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:23 PM

why and why? Why wouldn't jagr fetch a first? He's playing better than last year when he was traded for a conditional first.

And why would you want to move him? We're still very much in contention and a ~#25ish pick in a weak draft isn't going to help much anytime soon. I would much rather wath jagr play the final 30 games and sink or swim with him than just give up any playoff hope for a late first.

I agree Jagr wouldn't fetch a 1st.  While it is possible, I just don't see it.

Just got this

ESPN - LW Thomas Vanek turns down contract offer from Islanders, likely to test free-agent market, agent says

What a terrible trade the was for the isles

That lowers his value though at least.  Now that we know he's going to test free agency, teams won't be willing to give up a lot of assets for him.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#33 devils102

devils102

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:25 PM

Brad Boyes in Florida is a free agent after this season and could be got for relatively cheap. 

Might be a Hail Mary type trade to hope he gels on a scoring line and is able to contribute.

I would love someone with a bit more grit. I imagine Chris Stewart as a gritty player but I've never really seen him play much.

Posted Image

#34 fsu1852

fsu1852

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:32 PM

Selling would be so dumb.  They're 2 points out of a playoff spot.  And if we do make it, there isn't one team in the East that can steamroll us in the playoffs.  Any team we play we could make a series out of.

I agree, why would you sell if your in the running for a playoff sport.

#35 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:39 PM

Chris Stewart is the rumored return for Callahan with a new contract.  Just a rumor I know, but for our purposes, it would tend to show that the Devils don't have what it would take to satisfy St. Louis.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#36 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,943 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:51 PM

Brad Boyes in Florida is a free agent after this season and could be got for relatively cheap. 

Might be a Hail Mary type trade to hope he gels on a scoring line and is able to contribute.

I would love someone with a bit more grit. I imagine Chris Stewart as a gritty player but I've never really seen him play much.

Boyes would be a nice pickup imo.  He's excellent in the shootout for one.  And maybe he'll start to play hard knowing that he's on a team fighting for the playoffs.

I agree, why would you sell if your in the running for a playoff sport.

A lot of people feel that even if we make the playoffs, we would get embarrassed.  My counter to that is even if that does happen, there is absolutely no negative in making the playoffs.  I'd rather make the playoffs and lose in 4 straight games 10-0 than not make the playoffs at all.

Chris Stewart is the rumored return for Callahan with a new contract.  Just a rumor I know, but for our purposes, it would tend to show that the Devils don't have what it would take to satisfy St. Louis.

If they're looking for an NHL forward, it wouldn't be worth it.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#37 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:08 PM

We are not in contention. Cut the nonsense.

Selling would be so dumb. They're 2 points out of a playoff spot. And if we do make it, there isn't one team in the East that can steamroll us in the playoffs. Any team we play we could make a series out of.

People have been saying this for a month or two and yet we have never actually been in a playoff spot. This is not a quality team and it needs to get younger and faster. Sell and retool.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#38 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,367 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:09 PM

Whoever mentioned Gerbe - Gerbe is a bulk shooter w/ no scoring touch and no sense of teammates - NJ has had their share of these players over the years so feel free to pick your comparison - either way he's not really a fit.

Figured as much. Thanks.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#39 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:10 PM

If Paranteau is available, I'd love to see him make his way to Jersey. Lou has done a good job of late, with these midseason acquisitions, if he does make one this year, I trust it will be beneficial to the team. Bonus points if he can dump Sal

6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#40 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:18 PM

I agree Jagr wouldn't fetch a 1st. While it is possible, I just don't see it.

well we'll never know because there is no way Lou moves him unless we don't win a game between now and the deadline.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users