411 replies to this topic

#381 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,066 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:27 AM

Keep doing what?  Did Jagr ever say those things? 

Look I apologize for insulting people's intelligence.  The problem is, you're doing the same thing by assuming I don't realize we have to jump over teams and that they have some games in hand.

I'm willing to trade one of our great defensive prospects for a scorer.  When you have the gold mine of defensive prospects like we do, you can spare one of them if it means getting that proven scorer we need.  If Evander Kane is available like the rumors say, I'd definitely trade Merrill+ for him.  That's just one example.  I would NOT trade any of them for a guy like Cammy or Stewart.  I would for Vanek since he's a star scorer sans Severson and Larsson.  One of Santini, Gelinas, or Merrill can be had for Vanek.

I'm confident they can pull this off.  Sure it sounds crazy to have any confidence since they've won 3 games in a row only once this season, but I look back at the season, and I know that they had several opportunities.  A lot of the of the 35 games they didn't win could easily have been wins.  I feel this team deserves more wins than they currently have.  On the other hand, I can think of only a couple of wins they have they didn't really deserve.  BTW, I DON'T WANT PEOPLE TO READ THIS PARAGRAPH AS ME SAYING I'M BEING OPTIMISTIC.  SAYING THAT I'M CONFIDENT THEY CAN PULL THIS OFF IS NOT THE SAME AS SAYING THEY WILL MAKE THE PLAYOFFS.

It's definitely too early to sell which is what I've been trying to say.  It's never too early to buy though.  And with our current positioning, we need to get on that ASAP.  That's all I've been trying to say in this entire debate.  We're 3 points out.  That's it.  There's no reason to sell when you're 3 points out.

But the bolded all factors in Mike.  You can't just ignore or downplay that stuff, for reasons that have been previously stated...better likelihood of teams hanging around, more three-point games that will impact the race, etc.  

Agree in that sure, it would've been nice if Lou would've bought earlier, if he's going to buy at all.  It's really too bad that Boucher couldn't help the offense, but it was a lot to ask of him at this stage.  The problem is the sellers know they'll get their best offers near the deadline, so there's not a whole lot of motivation on their parts to sell early, unless the offer wows them.  For the Devils to wow anyone, they're going to have to cough up guys we probably don't want to see leave. 

I think you rent Vanek if you're 100% sure you can get to a Cup final (of course you might not get there anyway, but if you truly think you CAN, go for it).  I don't think Vanek makes the Devils a true Cup contender.  We know teams can ride a hot goalie, and that the Devils play most teams competitively, but for what Vanek would cost, I don't think the Devils should gamble that heavily.        

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 11 February 2014 - 08:27 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#382 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:32 AM

But the bolded all factors in Mike.  You can't just ignore or downplay that stuff, for reasons that have been previously stated...better likelihood of teams hanging around, more three-point games that will impact the race, etc.  

Agree in that sure, it would've been nice if Lou would've bought earlier, if he's going to buy at all.  It's really too bad that Boucher couldn't help the offense, but it was a lot to ask of him at this stage.  The problem is the sellers know they'll get their best offers near the deadline, so there's not a whole lot of motivation on their parts to sell early, unless the offer wows them.  For the Devils to wow anyone, they're going to have to cough up guys we probably don't want to see leave. 

I think you rent Vanek if you're 100% sure you can get to a Cup final (of course you might not get there anyway, but if you truly think you CAN, go for it).  I don't think Vanek makes the Devils a true Cup contender.  We know teams can ride a hot goalie, and that the Devils play most teams competitively, but for what Vanek would cost, I don't think the Devils should gamble that heavily.        

Well can't say I disagree with any of this.

You really are a piece of work Mike. 

Thank you.  I take that as a compliment.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#383 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,975 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:07 PM

The more I think of it, the more I think we have seen the OLD SD return 

#384 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,653 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:31 PM

I assume your team sources are telling you this? :giggle:

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#385 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,066 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:37 PM

Oh God, his postgame comments were always "Good to see [insert player who scored here] score".  And his GDT comments prior to the game were always "Devils need to keep it going", even if they had just won seven games in a row.  I forget what kind of a streak they were on, but one time I finally said "They've been damned near lights out for a while now and lead the conference...do they really 'need' to keep it going?!"  His posts were almost like Mad Libs, with different players and teams inserted, and there wasn't ever anything I remember him posting that wasn't completely obvious already.       

And of course, every fringe player that was ever let go by the Devils and had two good NHL games in a row instantly became the player "that Lou let get away". 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 11 February 2014 - 02:38 PM.

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#386 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,653 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:51 PM

Oh God, his postgame comments were always "Good to see [insert player who scored here] score".  And his GDT comments prior to the game were always "Devils need to keep it going", even if they had just won seven games in a row.  I forget what kind of a streak they were on, but one time I finally said "They've been damned near lights out for a while now and lead the conference...do they really 'need' to keep it going?!"  His posts were almost like Mad Libs, with different players and teams inserted, and there wasn't ever anything I remember him posting that wasn't completely obvious already.       

And of course, every fringe player that was ever let go by the Devils and had two good NHL games in a row instantly became the player "that Lou let get away". 

To be fair, the loss of Matt Taormina is making Lou look pretty stupid....

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#387 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,677 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:59 PM

im confused here... "OLD SD" thats not me right?

Edited by SterioDesign, 11 February 2014 - 02:59 PM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#388 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:01 PM

Oh no.  This is someone else..

He was a character alright.  I still remember the "OOT Scoreboard Thread" blowup.

Edited by Devilsfan118, 11 February 2014 - 03:01 PM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#389 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:02 PM

No, they're talking about a poster called SatansDevils.  His name was just as baffling as his posting style, and he posted endlessly without anything of substance to say.  I'd say he seemed like a decent guy, but he really didn't.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#390 Jmorc2003

Jmorc2003

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:08 PM

Edmonton laughs at that deal.  Hall is one of the best young forwards in the game.

This.  Trades typically work by giving something you have a surplus of in return for something you need.  Hall for Henrique is like trading a steak for a hamburger. 

I have a lot good young defensemen but need scoring.  You have scorers to spare, but are weak on defense.  I give you one of my dman in return for one of your scorers.  OR I'm trading you a highly paid player in return for some cap room. 

#391 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:08 PM

No, they're talking about a poster called SatansDevils.  His name was just as baffling as his posting style, and he posted endlessly without anything of substance to say.  I'd say he seemed like a decent guy, but he really didn't.

He would also sometimes claim to have inside information.  I will give him credit though that he was more or less spot on about Kovy's deal, and I looked pretty stupid when I said he was making stuff up. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#392 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:20 PM

I don't remember that guy but it sounds kind of like Ken Daneyko between periods.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#393 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,653 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:24 PM

He would also sometimes claim to have inside information.  I will give him credit though that he was more or less spot on about Kovy's deal, and I looked pretty stupid when I said he was making stuff up. 

You didn't look too stupid. He changed that Kovy prediction on a nearly daily basis. It was to be "announced shortly" for weeks.

#394 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:49 PM

I know who exactly you guys are talking about, and I know why this conversation started.  I have been on this forum since 2009.  I actually have 2 other accounts I never use anymore (Korean Kid 23 and koolkoreankid23).  I'm getting the impression you guys are suspicious that it's me.  I wanna make this very clear.  I am not SatansDevils.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#395 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,066 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:09 PM

I know who exactly you guys are talking about, and I know why this conversation started.  I have been on this forum since 2009.  I actually have 2 other accounts I never use anymore (Korean Kid 23 and koolkoreankid23).  I'm getting the impression you guys are suspicious that it's me.  I wanna make this very clear.  I am not SatansDevils.

I remember both of those screen names. 

I don't think anyone ever thought you were SatansDevils.  He had a "style" (if I could even call it that) that was all his own. 

#30 FOREVER!

#396 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:15 PM

I don't think anyone ever thought you were SatansDevils.  He had a "style" (if I could even call it that) that was all his own. 

No one wrote like him.  I'd notice him back in 5 posts.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#397 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,887 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:16 PM

I don't think anyone ever thought you were SatansDevils. He had a "style" (if I could even call it that) that was all his own.

Yeah I remember those screen names as well. SatansDevils, rofl. Yeah he had quite a 'style'...

No one wrote like him. I'd notice him back in 5 posts.

Two. All it would take for me lol.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#398 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,066 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:23 PM

No one wrote like him.  I'd notice him back in 5 posts.

Not to turn this into the "Behind the Annoyance:  the Life and Times of SatansDevils" thread, but whatever happened to him?  Did he make a big dramatic exit or did he just kind of fade away? 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 11 February 2014 - 07:23 PM.

#30 FOREVER!

#399 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,653 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:40 PM

Not to turn this into the "Behind the Annoyance: the Life and Times of SatansDevils" thread, but whatever happened to him? Did he make a big dramatic exit or did he just kind of fade away?

I remember him having blowups in the Kovy signing thread and the whole OOT thing. Then I think he just started to fade out and stopped posting

#400 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:51 PM

You didn't look too stupid. He changed that Kovy prediction on a nearly daily basis. It was to be "announced shortly" for weeks.

I remember he was basically on target claiming it would be a nine figure deal, but then the holding pattern started when LA made that last ditch courtship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users