411 replies to this topic

#41 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:23 PM

We are not in contention. Cut the nonsense.

People have been saying this for a month or two and yet we have never actually been in a playoff spot. This is not a quality team and it needs to get younger and faster. Sell and retool.

me cut the nonsense? Half of what you post is nonsense... Right now we're a 48% chance to make the playoffs. How is that not in contention? Go root for the oilers if your interested in rebuilding they do it a lot over there.

#42 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,770 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:36 PM

People have been saying this for a month or two and yet we have never actually been in a playoff spot. This is not a quality team and it needs to get younger and faster. Sell and retool.

WTF are you talking about?  The Devils are right there.  They may not make it, but to say they're not in contention is ludicrous. 

The goaltending is going to be better than it was earlier, with Schneider getting more of the starts.  BTW the Devils are 6-2-3 in their last 11 GP when Cory gets the nod.  They're also 11-6-6 in their last 23 overall (.610 point%).  There's reasons for optimism  

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#43 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,988 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:40 PM

Yes we are in contention.  We have been in a playoff spot before actually.

We have a great defensive team.  We just have an inconsistent offense.  But even then the offensive problems with this team are greatly overstated.  The vast majority of the teams in this league are averaging in between 2 and 3 goals a game.  We're one of them.  Believe it or not, we can score enough to be successful.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#44 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:40 PM

[quote name="dmann422" post="1243641" timestamp="1391455434"]

me cut the nonsense? Half of what you post is nonsense... Right now we're a 48% chance to make the playoffs. How is that not in contention? Go root for the oilers if your interested in rebuilding they do it a lot over there.[/quote

All of what you post is nonsense. Then I guess everybody is still in contention! Even the isles!!!!!!!!!!

Until you factor reality into it.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#45 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,988 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:42 PM

well we'll never know because there is no way Lou moves him unless we don't win a game between now and the deadline.

I agree.  I want to keep him, and I don't think Lou will move him unless we're at least 10 points out by the deadline.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#46 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:43 PM

Yes we are in contention. We have been in a playoff spot before actually.

We have a great defensive team. We just have an inconsistent offense. But even then the offensive problems with this team are greatly overstated. The vast majority of the teams in this league are averaging in between 2 and 3 goals a game. We're one of them. Believe it or not, we can score enough to be successful.

Excuse me, we were in a spot for what all of three days? Give me a break.

We have a decent defense. It is not great. We are a mediocre team which could very easily become poor based on a minimal slip in goalie play and continued lack of offense.

I agree. I want to keep him, and I don't think Lou will move him unless we're at least 10 points out by the deadline.

He's looked slow as molasses the last couple weeks and he couldn't skate in the third period at all.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

#47 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,988 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:43 PM

All of what you post is nonsense. Then I guess everybody is still in contention! Even the isles!!!!!!!!!!

Until you factor reality into it.

We have an easy schedule the rest of the way.  We're 2 points back.  The Isles are 8 points behind us.  Do you even check the standings?

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#48 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:46 PM

We have an easy schedule the rest of the way. We're 2 points back. The Isles are 8 points behind us. Do you even check the standings?

Three game swing is easily doable for them to catch up to us. We will fall flat on our face most likely. I have zero faith in this team to get it done and make the playoffs. And if anything the Devils have played like total garbage against teams they should beat. No schedule is every easy. Ever.

#49 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,988 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:50 PM

Excuse me, we were in a spot for what all of three days? Give me a break.

We have a decent defense. It is not great. We are a mediocre team which could very easily become poor based on a minimal slip in goalie play and continued lack of offense.

He's looked slow as molasses the last couple weeks and he couldn't skate in the third period at all.

Well, look at how long some of the other teams have held a playoff spot.  It's been about the same amount of time.  Philly held one for maybe a week.  Check the standings.

We have a great defensive team is what I said.  I wasn't talking specifically about the defensemen.  But if we wanna talk specifically about the blueline, then yes we actually do have a good one.  We have a top 10 blueline in the league.  I'd like you to try and tell me all the teams that have a better group of defensemen than we do.

Jagr hasn't had any speed for 5 years now.  What's your point?

Three game swing is easily doable for them to catch up to us. We will fall flat on our face most likely. I have zero faith in this team to get it done and make the playoffs. And if anything the Devils have played like total garbage against teams they should beat. No schedule is every easy. Ever.

If the Isles are close to us, I'd really like to hear your opinion on the separation between us and the last playoff spot is.  Apparently 2 points is more than 8 points in your mind.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#50 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:53 PM

Well, look at how long some of the other teams have held a playoff spot. It's been about the same amount of time. Philly held one for maybe a week. Check the standings.

We have a great defensive team is what I said. I wasn't talking specifically about the defensemen. But if we wanna talk specifically about the blueline, then yes we actually do have a good one. We have a top 10 blueline in the league. I'd like you to try and tell me all the teams that have a better group of defensemen than we do.

Jagr hasn't had any speed for 5 years now. What's your point?

There is a difference between not having speed and not being able to skate and get skated around or through. Jagr has lost his legs. It's abundantly clear over the last few weeks and will only get worse the end of this year. He looked awful in the 3rd against the Preds and even in the Blues game he was flailing and came close to taking a bad penalty.

Our defense is solid as a unit. But it's been designed to be the strength due to our offensive issues.

Well, look at how long some of the other teams have held a playoff spot. It's been about the same amount of time. Philly held one for maybe a week. Check the standings.

We have a great defensive team is what I said. I wasn't talking specifically about the defensemen. But if we wanna talk specifically about the blueline, then yes we actually do have a good one. We have a top 10 blueline in the league. I'd like you to try and tell me all the teams that have a better group of defensemen than we do.

Jagr hasn't had any speed for 5 years now. What's your point?

If the Isles are close to us, I'd really like to hear your opinion on the separation between us and the last playoff spot is. Apparently 2 points is more than 8 points in your mind.

That isn't what I said. You're pretty terrible at comprehension. I made my remarks to emphasize how close the standings are and looking critically at the teams play. We are 2 puts from the 8th spot but we are also only 6 from the bottom.

#51 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,988 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:54 PM

There is a difference between not having speed and not being able to skate and get skated around or through. Jagr has lost his legs. It's abundantly clear over the last few weeks and will only get worse the end of this year. He looked awful in the 3rd against the Preds and even in the Blues game he was flailing and came close to taking a bad penalty.

Our defense is solid as a unit. But it's been designed to be the strength due to our offensive issues.

Again, Jagr is looking no different in his skating than he did 5 years ago.  And your last sentence makes no sense.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#52 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:56 PM

I'd be more inclined to sell. I'd keep jagr if his intention is to stay anotehr year or 2 though. 

I'd be looking to try get some return for zid/fayne/lokti/Yayo

Edited by Sneax, 03 February 2014 - 02:56 PM.

#53 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:07 PM

Let's move Schneider while he's still got some value. He's just going to coast along the next season and a half and bounce. It's always seemed to me that he hates it here. Imagine what St. Louis would give up for him.

Anyway, I liked Parenteau when he was with the Isles. Also, Erat is having a terrible season with Washington and has requested to be traded twice, they could probably get him for nothing.

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

#54 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:10 PM

haha yeah sure it is.  After all, the Devils have Schneider in net and they have Nabokov.  They'll be selling Vanek for sure now.  Yep, that's a bet I'd make.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#55 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:15 PM

[quote name="coldply123" post="1243647" timestamp="1391456415"]

[quote name="dmann422" post="1243641" timestamp="1391455434"]

me cut the nonsense? Half of what you post is nonsense... Right now we're a 48% chance to make the playoffs. How is that not in contention? Go root for the oilers if your interested in rebuilding they do it a lot over there.[/quote

Until you factor reality into it.[/quote] before they went on a five game losing streak yes I thought they were in it. If we lose our next five games were probably out of it too. But I'll be happy to watch my team these next 2 months while I'm sure you won't watch a game since you already know we're out.

Nobody is saying we're definitely in, but id rather take my chances and see what happens. It's ok to disagree, but to say we're not in contention is just patently false.

#56 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:18 PM

I'd be more inclined to sell. I'd keep jagr if his intention is to stay anotehr year or 2 though.

I'd be looking to try get some return for zid/fayne/lokti/Yayo

is honestly have no problem moving any of the guys you mentioned, but preferably not for picks- too much of a crapshoot. But there's a big difference between moving one of these guys and moving your leading scorer.

#57 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:22 PM

Playoffs=/ = contention.

There will be alot of people that will say once your in its anyone's to win. I don't think this is a serious cup contender team, and if you believe that to be the case you are probably just being a little biased cuz it is the team you root for.

The most likely scenario if we squeak into the playoffs is that we are 1 and done. 

This team is old, we really need to be selling some stuff. We don't have much in albany that will make a difference here fowards wise. I know people are big on graham black and a few other guys, but that's a ways off and who knows how those guys turn out. I don't want the season to just be over, which selling often means. But I also don't want to suffer every year looking foward. 

We have a really good goalie (hopefully we lock him up), alot of good/promising young defense. Now we need to stock up on some fowards. 

edit. cause i put = instead of not :D

Edited by Sneax, 03 February 2014 - 03:24 PM.

#58 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,988 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:29 PM

Playoffs=/ = contention.

They're in contention to make the playoffs.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#59 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:30 PM

Contention to make the playoffs and contention to win it all are different. I thought the point was to win a cup not to lose in the first round in the playoffs.

#60 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,988 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:34 PM

Contention to make the playoffs and contention to win it all are different. I thought the point was to win a cup not to lose in the first round in the playoffs.

We are in playoff contention.  Obviously the goal is to win the Cup, but we're trying to make the playoffs first.  If you have a chance to make the playoffs, you try and make the playoffs.  It really is that simple.

Like I said, I'd rather make the playoffs and lose 10-0 in 4 straight games than to not make the playoffs at all.  We lose nothing if we make the playoffs.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users