411 replies to this topic

#61 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:38 PM

We are in playoff contention.  Obviously the goal is to win the Cup, but we're trying to make the playoffs first.  If you have a chance to make the playoffs, you try and make the playoffs.  It really is that simple.

Like I said, I'd rather make the playoffs and lose 10-0 in 4 straight games than to not make the playoffs at all.  We lose nothing if we make the playoffs.

That's pretty cliche. There are under the radar teams that are really good but not flashy and struggled at points during the year, like the Kings, that go all the way. We aren't a team like that. 

Edited by Sneax, 03 February 2014 - 03:38 PM.

#62 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:41 PM

That's pretty cliche. There are under the radar teams that are really good but not flashy and struggled at points during the year, like the Kings, that go all the way. We aren't a team like that. 

Huh?  I don't think you understood my post.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#63 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:43 PM

Yea I actually did misread it. you get this one. 

#64 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:15 PM

We need to make a play for a guy who can be or will certainly become a game breaker that is between the age of 26-29.

Pay to play.

#65 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:20 PM

haha yeah sure it is.  After all, the Devils have Schneider in net and they have Nabokov.  They'll be selling Vanek for sure now.  Yep, that's a bet I'd make.

Nabokov is terrible, no question.  But it was more the numbers argument that was being made.  While odds are against the Isles, we aren't that far from being terrible like they are.  It is what it is, but I can't stand this idea we are a good team.  There's no reality in that.  We're a mind-numbing team this year swinging from mediocrity and inconsistency.

Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#66 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:26 PM

Again, Jagr is looking no different in his skating than he did 5 years ago.  And your last sentence makes no sense.

I wasn't aware you were watching him play for Avangard Omsk.  And Jagr is far slower than he was even just two years ago.  He's already running out of gas this year.  His incredible hockey sense is helping him push through, but he's relying more and more on his linemates to drive play.  It's clear as can be.  I'm very worried with him the rest of the way with how Deboer has been riding him.

Last sentence made plenty of sense to anyone who has watched the Devils the last three years.

Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#67 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:41 PM

We need to make a play for a guy who can be or will certainly become a game breaker that is between the age of 26-29.

Pay to play.

How much are you willing to give up for a Vanek or a Moulson?

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#68 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,893 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:01 PM

I wasn't aware you were watching him play for Avangard Omsk.  And Jagr is far slower than he was even just two years ago.  He's already running out of gas this year.  His incredible hockey sense is helping him push through, but he's relying more and more on his linemates to drive play.  It's clear as can be.  I'm very worried with him the rest of the way with how Deboer has been riding him.

Last sentence made plenty of sense to anyone who has watched the Devils the last three years.

Jagr has more shots/game in January than he did in any month previous to this, and it isn't close.  DeBoer is also playing him less than he was in December.

Edited by Triumph, 03 February 2014 - 06:01 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#69 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,437 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:54 PM

if we make a trade we have to make it for a guy who's either rfa or signed for awhile. We absolutely can't go after a rental who could walk in July. That'd be absolutely dumb to risk at this point.

www.SterioDesign.com

#70 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:06 PM

if we make a trade we have to make it for a guy who's either rfa or signed for awhile. We absolutely can't go after a rental who could walk in July. That'd be absolutely dumb to risk at this point.

It depends on who we would give up.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#71 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,473 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:08 PM

Depends on the rental and the cost.  If it's an iffy "why not" guy who might surprise and the Devils get Salvador off the team, I'd listen.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#72 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,437 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:15 PM

Depends on the rental and the cost.  If it's an iffy "why not" guy who might surprise and the Devils get Salvador off the team, I'd listen.

well of course but a "why not" kind of guys are like bottom 6 guys... we have too many guys like that already. Nothing other than a TRUE first line talent could help us now... and non of those are "why not"

BUT like you said, anything that could take Salvador off the team, even if its a forward that we have to eat some salary, im all for it. We CANT start next season with Salvador AND Volch, and if id have to pick id pick Volch

www.SterioDesign.com

#73 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,473 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:25 PM

well of course but a "why not" kind of guys are like bottom 6 guys... we have too many guys like that already. Nothing other than a TRUE first line talent could help us now... and non of those are "why not"

BUT like you said, anything that could take Salvador off the team, even if its a forward that we have to eat some salary, im all for it. We CANT start next season with Salvador AND Volch, and if id have to pick id pick Volch

Sometimes it's the not-so-obvious guys that contribute more than you'd think (think a Neal Broten-type...that trade looked completely underwhelming when it was made), and we've seen on-paper deals that make sense on the surface not work out.  I'd have to look up names, but there could be a surprise-type out there.  This mentality is more NBA-like, but if the Devils can trade Salvador for an expiring contract, and the guy coming back might contribute something (even if it's kind of a longshot), I'm in. 

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#74 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,154 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:38 PM

Let's move Schneider while he's still got some value. He's just going to coast along the next season and a half and bounce. It's always seemed to me that he hates it here. Imagine what St. Louis would give up for him.

No. And what makes you say this?     No on is happy splitting time when you are clearly better.     I think in our playoff drive, we won't see Marty much; and I honestly think we won't see him on the Devils next year.    Will he retire?   Meh.   I hope so.

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#75 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,437 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:47 PM

Sometimes it's the not-so-obvious guys that contribute more than you'd think (think a Neal Broten-type...that trade looked completely underwhelming when it was made), and we've seen on-paper deals that make sense on the surface not work out.  I'd have to look up names, but there could be a surprise-type out there.  This mentality is more NBA-like, but if the Devils can trade Salvador for an expiring contract, and the guy coming back might contribute something (even if it's kind of a longshot), I'm in. 

Yes of course, but our goaltending is solid, our defence and PK is solid enough for a run, we are struggling scoring, thats the only thing preventing us from being more than we are we need scorers...  unless we get the "2014 random player coming out of nowhere playing and contributing way above his abilities" well i dont think it would help much or be worth throwing away assets.

Unless its like swapping upcoming UFAsassets like Zids to a team who need a PMD for a top 9 forward kind of deal

www.SterioDesign.com

#76 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,473 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:49 PM

Let's move Schneider while he's still got some value. He's just going to coast along the next season and a half and bounce. It's always seemed to me that he hates it here. Imagine what St. Louis would give up for him.

Anyway, I liked Parenteau when he was with the Isles. Also, Erat is having a terrible season with Washington and has requested to be traded twice, they could probably get him for nothing.

Sure, move a terrific puckstopper in his prime when the Devils have no one in their system remotely capable of being a #1.  That makes sense. 

#30 FOREVER!

#77 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:13 PM

Sure, move a terrific puckstopper in his prime when the Devils have no one in their system remotely capable of being a #1.  That makes sense. 

Well, we're gonna find out if Kinkaid can stop pucks consistently at this level when Cory signs eight years with the Flyers next summer.

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

#78 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,473 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:16 PM

Well, we're gonna find out if Kinkaid can stop pucks consistently at this level when Cory signs eight years with the Flyers next summer.

He can't sign for 8 years there.  He can only do that here.  I think Lou is going to do everything he can to get him re-signed this offseason.  If Lou thought Kinkaid or Wedge were the answers he doesn't give up his pick for Schneider in the first place.

#30 FOREVER!

#79 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:53 PM

He can't sign for 8 years there.  He can only do that here.  I think Lou is going to do everything he can to get him re-signed this offseason.  If Lou thought Kinkaid or Wedge were the answers he doesn't give up his pick for Schneider in the first place.

Doesn't affect my point at all. He's going to leave. I'm not the eternal pessimist, but he's leaving. Why not trade him to St. Louis, add another piece, get Halak and a top 6 guy who can finish?

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

#80 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:05 PM

I think Kinkaid is better than Wedgewood.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users