411 replies to this topic

#141 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:07 PM

Well you provided nothing.  So why should I provide anything?

Solid bickering session. I don't want to have to say I told you so when Cory walks, because I'll be as pissed as anyone. How has banking on our big names resigning worked over the past decade?

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

#142 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,541 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:18 PM

Solid bickering session. I don't want to have to say I told you so when Cory walks, because I'll be as pissed as anyone. How has banking on our big names resigning worked over the past decade?

If he signs a long term deal will you admit you don't know what you're talking about?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#143 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,653 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:29 PM

He hates it here as far as I can tell, and big time teams will throw big time money at him that we wont. "What makes you think he will stay" is a valid question to ask, because nothing is telling you he will. He didn't want to come here. He's having a rough go as it is. Give me one good reason why you're staying if you're Cory Schneider. The thesis of my argument is "trade Cory Schneider now", what does next year have to do with anything? I'm hoping he's wearing a Blues jersey this time next year, and there's nothing Cory related to discuss.

Kinkaid has a .912 in Albany, and I believe it was higher at one point. To think it would drop at the NHL is silly. Shots are shots, and he may be playing against a lower tier of forwards, but he's also playing behind a minor league defense. And if you think he doesn't have what it takes to compete in the NHL, you better hope Schneider gets moved before he walks. Do you want to see him sign somewhere else, and then have to give up a big prospect for another goaltender?

Trade him, bring in a capable goalie, bring in a few prospects. Done.

I don't understand the assumption that Cory's leaving. He was frustrated in Vancouver, too, and he was sad to leave. He's the number one guy here now, and he will be next year. The Devils have the money and years to give him a better contract than almost any other team, plus the guaranteed starting job. Trading him now (17 months before his contract is even up) is one of the biggest knee jerk panic moves a GM could ever make.

Meanwhile, Keith Kinkaid's save percentage has plummeted from .927 to .912 in a matter of months. I'm not sure how that makes you think he'll be NHL ready in October. 

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#144 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:32 PM

If he signs a long term deal will you admit you don't know what you're talking about?

I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong if I am. Obviously I see there being a slim chance of him doing so, but I feel as if it's an unnecessary gamble. No goaltender is irreplaceable. Risking it with skaters, I have less of a problem with. Why does anyone care if Cory Schneider or some other capable goaltender is stopping pucks for us?

#145 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:35 PM

I don't understand the assumption that Cory's leaving. He was frustrated in Vancouver, too, and he was sad to leave. He's the number one guy here now, and he will be next year. The Devils have the money and years to give him a better contract than almost any other team, plus the guaranteed starting job. Trading him now (17 months before his contract is even up) is one of the biggest knee jerk panic moves a GM could ever make.

Meanwhile, Keith Kinkaid's save percentage has plummeted from .927 to .912 in a matter of months. I'm not sure how that makes you think he'll be NHL ready in October. 

Did I ever say he was NHL ready? I don't think so, I may have. I would want a goaltender included in a Cory Schneider trade. It's not knee-jerk to trade him while he still has some value. Come a year from now, the return won't be the same. Like I said, I just see it as an unnecessary gamble.

Edit: Reading one of my previous posts, it does sound like I take the tone of Kinkaid being NHL ready. I'd like to see him get a shot, but I'm by no means certain he could do it at the NHL level.

Edited by thecoffeecake, 04 February 2014 - 11:37 PM.

#146 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:38 PM

I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong if I am. Obviously I see there being a slim chance of him doing so, but I feel as if it's an unnecessary gamble. No goaltender is irreplaceable. Risking it with skaters, I have less of a problem with. Why does anyone care if Cory Schneider or some other capable goaltender is stopping pucks for us?

Quite frankly, I am of the belief that the gap between the best goalie in the league and the worst is quite small.  I believe any NHL caliber starting goalie is capable of winning a Vezina.  Whether it's Schneider, Kinkaid, or whoever, it doesn't really matter to me.  I think Kinkaid is capable of being a good goalie.

It was the whole idea that you think Schneider is as good as gone.  You have no idea if he's gone or not.  I'm not a big fan of the arrogance of Schneider personally.  But I think he's a great goalie.  That being said, I think Kinkaid is more than capable of being a great goalie as well.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#147 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:50 PM

Why would Corey leave? Trading him is completely stupid.

#148 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:51 PM

Quite frankly, I am of the belief that the gap between the best goalie in the league and the worst is quite small.  I believe any NHL caliber starting goalie is capable of winning a Vezina.  Whether it's Schneider, Kinkaid, or whoever, it doesn't really matter to me.  I think Kinkaid is capable of being a good goalie.

It was the whole idea that you think Schneider is as good as gone.  You have no idea if he's gone or not.  I'm not a big fan of the arrogance of Schneider personally.  But I think he's a great goalie.  That being said, I think Kinkaid is more than capable of being a great goalie as well.

Then, we're really not coming from that different of places here. I completely agree that the gap between NHL goaltenders is small, which is why I think they should send him somewhere for someone capable and a prospect or two. It doesn't matter who's between the pipes, as long as they're stopping pucks. That's why I think it's a useless gamble to try to resign him. Like I said, there is a chance he'll sign long term, I'm not so stuck in my opinion that I don't recognize that, but I don't want to see the day come where Schneider walks, and now we're looking at giving up a prospect for someone who isn't going to stop the same amount of shots as Cory or as someone we could get for Cory. That's where I'm coming from here.

But a lot of this is because of Lou's stubbornness in talking contracts during the season. If I knew he was talking to Cory through next season, I'd be confident that either A, they'd get a deal done, long or short term, or B, Lou would make the necessary trade if negotiations weren't going anywhere. I'd be a lot less gung-ho about this if that was the case.

Edited by thecoffeecake, 04 February 2014 - 11:56 PM.

#149 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:16 AM

Then, we're really not coming from that different of places here. I completely agree that the gap between NHL goaltenders is small, which is why I think they should send him somewhere for someone capable and a prospect or two. It doesn't matter who's between the pipes, as long as they're stopping pucks. That's why I think it's a useless gamble to try to resign him. Like I said, there is a chance he'll sign long term, I'm not so stuck in my opinion that I don't recognize that, but I don't want to see the day come where Schneider walks, and now we're looking at giving up a prospect for someone who isn't going to stop the same amount of shots as Cory or as someone we could get for Cory. That's where I'm coming from here.

But a lot of this is because of Lou's stubbornness in talking contracts during the season. If I knew he was talking to Cory through next season, I'd be confident that either A, they'd get a deal done, long or short term, or B, Lou would make the necessary trade if negotiations weren't going anywhere. I'd be a lot less gung-ho about this if that was the case.

Lou will probably talk to him and Greene over the summer.  If Zajac's contract is any indication.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#150 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:15 AM

I think I would target Milan Michalek. At 6`2 215 with good size and speed he is the type of player DeBoer likes to wear down the opposition.

A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#151 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:27 AM

I think I would target Milan Michalek. At 6`2 215 with good size and speed he is the type of player DeBoer likes to wear down the opposition.

Supposedly things aren't working out so great for him in Ottawa, too. He could be a good addition if the price isn't too high. Still relatively young, which is nice. Load up on Czechs, I guess!

Also, I'm not sure where people are hearing Severson+ for Cammalleri, but I highly doubt Lou would do that. Lou really likes Severson, and Cammalleri surely would not be worth a prospect of Severson's caliber. 

#152 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:13 AM

I think we can target Havlat as well.  The Devils have had pretty good success with reclamation projects recently; Zidlicky, Poni, Sykora, etc.  Both Michalek and Havlat wouldn't cost much.  I definitely think Ottawa needs help at defense.  Salvador would fit their needs.  I'm not sure what San Jose would ask for Havlat though.

Supposedly things aren't working out so great for him in Ottawa, too. He could be a good addition if the price isn't too high. Still relatively young, which is nice. Load up on Czechs, I guess!

Also, I'm not sure where people are hearing Severson+ for Cammalleri, but I highly doubt Lou would do that. Lou really likes Severson, and Cammalleri surely would not be worth a prospect of Severson's caliber. 

I would dangle Severson just to see if any team would offer up a blue chip forward or forward prospect.  Probably not, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#153 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:25 AM

Havlat is to injury prone. Milan would be a nice addition though, a goal scorer, that's what we need.

I think we can target Havlat as well. The Devils have had pretty good success with reclamation projects recently; Zidlicky, Poni, Sykora, etc. Both Michalek and Havlat wouldn't cost much. I definitely think Ottawa needs help at defense. Salvador would fit their needs. I'm not sure what San Jose would ask for Havlat though.

I would dangle Severson just to see if any team would offer up a blue chip forward or forward prospect. Probably not, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

#154 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:08 AM

Havlat is to injury prone. Milan would be a nice addition though, a goal scorer, that's what we need.

So?  It wouldn't hurt if we can get him for nothing.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#155 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,541 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:51 PM

I really hope the only place people heard that was from he hockeyyinsiderr. That would be the most insanely idiotic trade I can remember. It would be Mike Milbury horrendous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#156 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:20 PM

I would want Michalek. At least he'd stop scoring against us.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#157 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:04 PM

We would t get him for nothing and he isn't going to make a difference

So? It wouldn't hurt if we can get him for nothing.

#158 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:08 PM

Interesting trade article.

Colorado Avalanche Trade Rumors: Jaromir Jagr the Best Option
Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#159 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,938 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:16 PM

Interesting is a nice way of describing that...

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#160 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:26 PM

On one hand you have winning the cup... which is HIGHLY unlikely. What if we do win the cup? Well great we have another cup of course its awesome but again, nothing would have changed and we'd have a worst team next season. 

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users