1777 replies to this topic

#241 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:25 PM

No, he won't get DFA'd if he's pitching well; I meant it would probably be better for us if he DID struggle and get DFA'd after 5-7 starts and then replaced with Mejia, as in the upside of Mejia in the rotation is greater than the marginal prospect (if that) that Dice-K would bring back if he did pitch well.

I won't be rooting against him, though. He's a Met and the games count. It's also not his fault the front office is so incompetent with what should be no-brainer roster decisions. 

Edited by nmigliore, 24 March 2014 - 04:28 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#242 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:48 PM

Flores sent to minor league camp. Amazing timing by me.  :lol: Supposedly he'll play SS and 2B in Vegas, although I'm still doubtful the idea of him as a SS is a real thing. Also sent to minor league camp was Kirk, den Dekker, and Lutz, none of who were really threats to make the bench.

This would be my Opening Day roster guess right now:

Lineup
Eric Young Jr., LF
Daniel Murphy, 2B
David Wright, 3B
Curtis Granderson, RF
Chris Young, CF
Ike Davis, 1B
Travis d'Arnaud, C
Ruben Tejada, SS

Bench
Anthony Recker
Omar Quintanilla
Josh Satin
Juan Lagares
Lucas Duda
Andrew Brown
I have no idea if Lagares will start, but like I've been saying, I'm starting to think both players will play quite a bit, at least in the beginning of the season. Lagares could start Opening Day (hopefully he does), but to make life a little easier on myself, I'm projecting Eric Young Jr. since the lineup order seems pretty clear with him in it.

I haven't been following spring training too much since I don't get sny here but I saw yesterday that Collins went the Larussa route and batted the pitcher 8th, which would seem to make some sense if we don't have speed in the lead off position (ie lagares is playing and not Eric young)

Maybe he was just experimenting in meaningless games? Terry doesn't strike me as a guy to color outside the lines if you will.

#243 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,086 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:19 PM

Heard the Mets tweeted "Dice-KKK" after he struck out the side in the first. Oi

#244 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,770 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:21 PM

I haven't been following spring training too much since I don't get sny here but I saw yesterday that Collins went the Larussa route and batted the pitcher 8th, which would seem to make some sense if we don't have speed in the lead off position (ie lagares is playing and not Eric young)

Maybe he was just experimenting in meaningless games? Terry doesn't strike me as a guy to color outside the lines if you will.

Yeah, don't see Terry doing anything crazy like that (pitcher batting 8th). 

nmig, I'm saying Dice pitches well, gets dealt, and then Mejia takes his spot.  I guess you're saying you'd rather have Dice in the minors than whatever he'd bring back?  I can understand that thinking....Dice is at least readily-available depth that may be able to help you at the major-league level. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#245 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:35 PM

I think we're all fooling ourselves. Matsuzaka is going to absolutely suck this year. He sucked from 2009-2012. He sucked in his first 3 starts with us last year. Then in mid September he put together 4 consecutive good starts, 2 of which were against dead corpse teams. Then he follows it up with a mediocre spring.

He has nothing. What are the Mets hanging on to here? He was never that great to begin with, the league figured out Matsuzaka long ago.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#246 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,770 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:06 AM

I think we're all fooling ourselves. Matsuzaka is going to absolutely suck this year. He sucked from 2009-2012. He sucked in his first 3 starts with us last year. Then in mid September he put together 4 consecutive good starts, 2 of which were against dead corpse teams. Then he follows it up with a mediocre spring.

He has nothing. What are the Mets hanging on to here? He was never that great to begin with, the league figured out Matsuzaka long ago.

If he does, no prob, really...Mejia gets into the rotation that much faster (as he should). 

I'm not expecting much from Dice myself...when I say "if he pitches well", it's more of a pipe-dream scenario than me thinking it's actually going to happen.  But it all goes back to why Sandy and Freddy should have kept their mouths shut about 90...teams that truly think they can win 90 games don't have a potential stiff like Dice in their rotation.  Mejia is clearly the guy with better upside and has done nothing to lose this battle to Dice, and the fact that it's clear that Dice went in as the guy to beat is a joke. 

Dice should be here for one reason and one reason only:  depth.  He's the guy you call up when someone gets hurt through mid to late June.  Once Syndergaard, Montero and deGrom get past their Super Two status, then Dice should literally not pitch for anyone except Vegas for the rest of the season, unless just about EVERYONE in that rotation somehow goes down with injuries. 

But anyway, by June whatever, here's what the depth chart should be...the guys already here aren't listed in any particular order:

Gee

Niese (he will miss time at some point...if you're getting two friggin' MRIs before the season starts, there's problems, and he's always been fragile)

Colon

Wheeler

Mejia (glad he's going to start at Vegas, in that at least he'll still be getting a starter's workload)

Syndergaard, Montero, deGrom (a little wait-and-see with these three, as to who deserves the first call-up, but I'd like to think they're all going to get some major-league innings this year...someone other than Niese is going to get hurt this season)

Dice K below all of the above, unless all of the young guys are having lousy seasons in AAA, which doesn't seem likely. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 25 March 2014 - 06:10 AM.

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#247 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:54 AM

We should hear something about the #5 job today since it's the deadline for Dice-K to be added to the roster, sent to the minors for $100k, or released. If he's added to the roster, then he's *officially* the #5. They could cut him and and resign him afterward, like they're doing with Farnsworth with the sole purpose of delaying the decision, but that would be a little surprising. 

Rubin has actually wrote and publicly posted a draft article of Dice-K being named the #5 (on Twitter), that's how likely it is to happen. 

I've said enough on this topic, but one more thing to top it off (found this on another message board) - a quote from Sandy, on Dice-K, talking with Francesa last September:

We’re at the point now where we’re running someone like Daisuke Matsuzaka out, which hasn’t been pretty, and which might not be pretty for the rest of the month.

Edited by nmigliore, 25 March 2014 - 10:42 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#248 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:05 AM

The Pirates sent down Andrew Lambo, who looked like the most realistic platoon partner for Gaby Sanchez, and plan to go forward with Travis Ishikawa in that role. 

If an Ike Davis or Lucas Duda trade is going to happen, that is almost certainly where it'll be.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#249 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:59 AM

Mets are retaining Dice-K for $100k, which immediately made me believe Mejia won, but this can also be used to just delay the decision with the option of keeping Dice-K if they choose Mejia. It is definitely surprising, though. Mejia's chances are still alive.

Edit: must-read stuff on Rubin's blog discussing the purpose of this: http://espn.go.com/b...-delay-decision

The short version: essentially this is all likely a hedge on Niese's health and keeping their options open. By paying Dice-K $100k to be optioned, they can essentially let him sit in St. Lucie next week, let Mejia pitch 4th game, carry an extra bench player in the process, and then decide if Niese can make that April 6th start or not. If he can't, Dice-K is recalled and the extra bench player goes down. If Niese is ready, they can send down the bench player and Mejia; or just keep Dice-K down and activate Niese, which Rubin made sound like a real possibility. It's actually a smart strategy, although we still might end up with Dice-K over Mejia whenever Niese is ready.

Edited by nmigliore, 25 March 2014 - 12:48 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#250 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:09 AM

Bit of a surprise but Vic Black was optioned. His control has been a mess all spring and his velocity has been down a bit, too. Parnell also continued to sit 88-92 yesterday, per Rubin. This bullpen is going to be such a disaster.

Valverde officially made the team.

Edited by nmigliore, 26 March 2014 - 12:20 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#251 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:27 PM

Bit of a surprise but Vic Black was optioned. His control has been a mess all spring and his velocity has been down a bit, too. Parnell also continued to sit 88-92 yesterday, per Rubin. This bullpen is going to be such a disaster.

yeah I'm not going to feel too safe handing over leads to that bullpen and regularly needing 9 outs.

Although I will say that nobody expected Hawkins to be anything last year and he was a pleasant surprise, so you never know, maybe somebody steps up.

#252 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,770 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:52 PM

yeah I'm not going to feel too safe handing over leads to that bullpen and regularly needing 9 outs.

Although I will say that nobody expected Hawkins to be anything last year and he was a pleasant surprise, so you never know, maybe somebody steps up.

I won't harp on it anymore, but this is yet another reason why 90 should never have been thrown out there.  The young starting pitching that will be making its way into the rotation will be interesting, and overall the team might be OK defensively, but they figure to be average offensively at best, and bad in the bullpen. 

I think this is all you've got now, as far as the bullpen goes...hope for a lot of pleasant surprises. 

#30 FOREVER!

#253 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:59 PM

One positive note is that it seems like Lagares may start after all:

I think everybody would probably agree he's our best [defensive] outfielder, he's our best center fielder," Alderson said Tuesday about Lagares. "But he's going to have to hit a little bit, too. So if he were to start in center field on Opening Day, we'd have to see over a period of time -- how long, how short I don't know -- that he can carry the offensive side of the game as well. And if that's not the case, then typically a guy like that would be better off playing every day somewhere else. But that's premature."

Edited by nmigliore, 26 March 2014 - 01:59 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#254 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,731 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:28 AM

Mets Twitter is giving away Promenade seats for the first Saturday and Sunday games (next weekend)...you can only get singles though. Too bad I already got a ticket for next Saturday lol
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#255 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,770 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:44 AM

Yikes, didn't realize how bad Black was this spring...9.1 IP, 13 H, 11 BB.  Giving up a ton of walks AND hits is a pretty bad sign. 

#30 FOREVER!

#256 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:51 AM

Mets Twitter is giving away Promenade seats for the first Saturday and Sunday games (next weekend)...you can only get singles though. Too bad I already got a ticket for next Saturday lol

What section? I'm buying tickets for that game in one of the 130's sections (LF) within the next day or two. 

Out of the Wright t-shirt giveaway Friday, the calendar Saturday, and the Wright poster Sunday, the calendar figures to have the most use to me lol. I'm still using last year's I got at the first Saturday game. 

Mazzoni just left the game grabbing his forearm. Not good. Pitchers!

Edited by nmigliore, 27 March 2014 - 11:56 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#257 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,731 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:39 PM

I think I'm actually in the 130's too lol, have to double check which section later.

Actually I'm in 134...I liked that area last year when I was down there for a game (same one I met you at), and got an aisle seat to boot.  I'll dress more weather-appropriately this time though lol

Edited by NJDevs4978, 27 March 2014 - 03:44 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#258 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:19 PM

Terry Collins predicted both Juan Lagares and Eric Young Jr. both will get playing time somehow.

Fun fact: Eric Young Jr. has a lower career OPS+ than Ruben Tejada. Yeah, THE Ruben Tejada, the Ruben Tejada that draws so much ire for being the starting SS. Pretend he played LF but with more speed. That's Eric Young Jr.! Exciting, right?!

Edited by nmigliore, 27 March 2014 - 04:20 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#259 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,770 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:53 AM

Terry Collins predicted both Juan Lagares and Eric Young Jr. both will get playing time somehow.

Fun fact: Eric Young Jr. has a lower career OPS+ than Ruben Tejada. Yeah, THE Ruben Tejada, the Ruben Tejada that draws so much ire for being the starting SS. Pretend he played LF but with more speed. That's Eric Young Jr.! Exciting, right?!

fvck Terry Collins, fvck Sandy, and fvck the Wilpons.  This offseason and spring training was a complete joke.  EY, Doofus, Davis and Tejada are all still here.  So much for a little thing called ACCOUNTABILITY.  2013 apparently was a great big waste of time, because not one friggin' thing from that season was resolved.  At least we have the young pitching to look forward too.  Hopefully Gee's nice spring translates into the regular season. 

#30 FOREVER!

#260 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:50 AM

fvck Terry Collins, fvck Sandy, and fvck the Wilpons.  This offseason and spring training was a complete joke.  EY, Doofus, Davis and Tejada are all still here.  So much for a little thing called ACCOUNTABILITY.  2013 apparently was a great big waste of time, because not one friggin' thing from that season was resolved.  At least we have the young pitching to look forward too.  Hopefully Gee's nice spring translates into the regular season. 

and the bullpen will be an unmitigated disaster for the 3rd year in a row (it's going to become like the Devils shootout woes) that's absolutely unacceptable that Sandy can not put together even an average pen by now

You know all those walkoff loses and blown leads we've had to endure for the past few years...well expect more of 'em.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users