1725 replies to this topic

#341 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,001 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:16 PM

You don't figure they slide Matsuzaka back into the rotation and put Mejia back in the pen?

Can Dice-K pitch in relief?

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#342 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:21 PM

You don't figure they slide Matsuzaka back into the rotation and put Mejia back in the pen?

Alderson already said that's not happening:

Farnsworth was on the bubble. He could be called up to fill in soon. Mejia to bullpen off the table according to Alderson.

I'm sure they'll keep Dice-K as a starter as well just to keep their options open given Niese's health and avoid having to bring up one of the kids too early. 

Edited by nmigliore, 01 April 2014 - 12:22 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#343 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:37 PM

Farnsworth coming up per the Mets. The fantastic decision making continues, my goodness. They'll need to make 40-man room.

Flores is interestingly also coming up. I presume Murphy is going on the paternity leave list although he was originally due to return tomorrow.

Edited by nmigliore, 01 April 2014 - 12:37 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#344 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,385 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:47 PM

Farnsworth, lol.  Guess we're trying to replace EXACTLY what Parnell was...a guy who threw hard but had lost velocity. 

Took of all of two days for this season to feel lost, lol.  Thank you Sandy.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#345 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,385 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:42 PM

Reyes hurt again...on the DL with a bad hammy.  Reyes getting hurt...wow, who saw that coming?

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#346 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,217 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:47 PM

At this point the Mets might as well have ten starters and no relievers, since that's where all their pitching depth is anyway.  Just have one guy pitch the first 6-7 innings and have his caddy finish it.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#347 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:43 PM

Only took 1 game for EYJr. to find the bench despite no Murphy. Good, hopefully he stays there.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#348 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,001 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:43 PM

just have to laugh. Aaron Harang, of sloppy seconds 2013 Mets fame just pitched an absolute gem for Atlanta

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#349 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:01 PM

Sandy just had a presser about Parnell. Between rest and rehab he's out 6 weeks but Sandy made it out like he's likely to have surgery, citing "the ligament isn't just going to reattach itself." Parnell had elbow pain 4-5 days ago but didn't tell the team until after Opening Day. He also mentioned the chance of some starters coming up and working in relief at some point, which means Montero, deGrom, etc., but not Syndergaard. Doesn't sound like they plan on doing anything right now as far as free agency (shocking, I know).

He addressed the signing of Abreu and by his commentary it's pretty clear the signing was made with the intent of Abreu coming up at some point as a reserve player. 

Edited by nmigliore, 02 April 2014 - 03:02 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#350 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,001 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:08 PM

I don't think Abreu has any power left and his speed has probably eroded to zilch as well. He can still probably draw walks and work long counts from the left side...but that's all that I see him providing. 

Parnell didn't tell the team of elbow pain, well at least that absolves the Mets brass a bit. It's up to Parnell to report this stuff, they can't get inside his head.

#351 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:18 PM

I don't think Abreu has any power left and his speed has probably eroded to zilch as well. He can still probably draw walks and work long counts from the left side...but that's all that I see him providing. 

Exactly what I expect. Negative contributions defensively/baserunning, no power, and a decent OBP, maybe. This is a 40 year old guy who didn't even play MLB or MiLB last season. He's much worse than carrying Duda as a 5th OF.

At least he'll have to prove himself a bit in AAA but that shouldn't be an issue in Las Vegas.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#352 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,385 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:38 PM

Only took 1 game for EYJr. to find the bench despite no Murphy. Good, hopefully he stays there.

First good thing to happen this season, lol. 

Agree with '7', sure, Parnell's velocity was definitely a red flag, but at the same time, he should've told them he was in pain. 

#30 FOREVER!

#353 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:51 PM

TC confirms Valverde is the closer "for now" and said Farnsworth will be his 8th inning guy, at least vs RHP. They have no choice with Valverde but talk about a complete 180 with Farnsworth. He went from being cut, technically released for a day, to 8th duties in the span of a week. 

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#354 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,217 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:35 PM

Parnell didn't tell the team of elbow pain, well at least that absolves the Mets brass a bit. It's up to Parnell to report this stuff, they can't get inside his head.

Except now they look like bufoons again with the Chris Young re-injury, which they did know about.  So I'm not sure I exactly buy the cover story with Parnell.  Maybe it's not their fault with him though someone at some point should have acknowledged the velocity dip and figured something was wrong.  

Edited by NJDevs4978, 02 April 2014 - 06:36 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#355 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:32 PM

Colon getting smacked around after a decent beginning, highlighted by a homerun by Gio freakin' Gonzalez. Meanwhile the superb Mets' medical team can't seem to figure out Chris Young. 

It's gonna be a long year.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#356 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,217 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:44 PM

Apparently we set a ML record with 31 strikeouts (at the plate) in the first two games, way to go boys.

As skeptical as I've been of Granderson hoo boy, the crowd turned on him quicker than they did Beltran his first year.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 02 April 2014 - 10:12 PM.

#357 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,385 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:54 AM

Mets batting .156 as a team so far with a .211 OB%.  5 BB and 31 K.  Outstanding.

Murph is taking some flak for not returning to the team more quickly, but so what.  For one, he's within his CBA rights.  For another, if the GM doesn't care and is punting away ANOTHER season, I can't expect a guy like Murph to come running back.

Granderson is going to be Jason Bay all over again.  Of course, 2012 and 2013 showed signs of that being a possibility, but heaven forbid Sandy would notice.  He saw the low BA and the high K rate and figured, "Yep, there's my guy."  Because Sandy seems to love those qualities in his "hitters". 

#30 FOREVER!

#358 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:29 AM

The criticism on Murphy is sickening. Heaven forbid he misses 2 games for the birth of his child. Some fans are real loons. 

At least the MiLB season starts tonight. You can follow the box scores here. Some notable top prospect assignments by level:

AAA (Las Vegas): Noah Syndergaard, Rafael Montero, Jacob deGrom, Cesar Puello, Wilmer Flores (once sent down)

AA (Binghamton): Kevin Plawecki

High Class-A (St. Lucie): Brandon Nimmo, Dilson Herrera, Steven Matz, Michael Fulmer, Gabriel Ynoa

Low Class-A (Savannah): Dom Smith, Gavin Cecchini

This regime has been conservative with prospect assignments so no surprises on this list. Las Vegas' rotation will be the center of attention on that team. Binghamton is basically Plawecki and a bunch of fringe prospects. St. Lucie has intriguing names on the position player side (Nimmo, Herrera) and the starting staff should be a lot of fun with Matz, Fulmer, Ynoa, Cessa. Cecchini hasn't done much since being drafted and is already crawling into the fringe prospect territory. Savannah is a tough environment but he needs to show something this year. I love the full season assignment for Smith instead of holding him back in extended spring; Savannah is a bitch on left-handed hitters, so it's a good challenge for him. There are a couple sleeper prospects in the rotation (Gsellman, Flexen).

Edited by nmigliore, 03 April 2014 - 08:59 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#359 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,001 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:40 AM

The criticism on Murphy is sickening. Heaven forbid he misses 2 games for the birth of his child. Some fans are real loons. 

At least the MiLB season starts tonight. 

i remember last year Keith made some snarky comment about how he was on the road when his children were born...most players did not leave teams for this. Something of an old school mentality. Let the wife take care of the kid, I'm out making money. Not sure what he's said about it regarding Murph...

#360 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:36 AM

Young to the DL, Flores staying up in his place until Niese is activated.

This is going to mean a lot of EYJr. in the lineup now. 

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users