#21 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,888 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:48 PM

Justin Turner signed with the Dodgers.

I'd like to preemptively congratulate him on the game winning home run he's about to hit against the Mets this year

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#22 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,230 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:22 AM

Justin Turner signed with the Dodgers.

I'd like to preemptively congratulate him on the game winning home run he's about to hit against the Mets this year

Yeah, sadly that WILL probably happen. 

Anyway, was thinking about the state of the Mets...the rotation will likely be:

Wheeler

Colon

Niese

Gee

Mejia

And we KNOW at least two of these guys will miss significant time, which means there WILL be opportunities for both Syndergaard and Montero, possibly before the season even starts (though the Mets probably don't want to thrust either into the rotation...especially Syndergaard, who hasn't even thrown in AAA yet).  I'm guessing the first guy who gets a shot if someone goes down early is either deGrom or Dice K.

Those five could be pretty good, especially if Wheeler builds off last season and doesn't regress.  But of course, they all have question marks:

Wheeler:  still young, still prone to losing the strike zone

Colon:  not getting any younger, probably due for some regression off last season

Niese:  always misses some starts, probably won't get any better than he is right now.  Will probably always be a .500ish or slightly better starter...a good #3 or #4.

Gee:  was mostly terrific from late May on, but has yet to put a full season together of consistency

Mejia:  can he ever stay healthy for more than five minutes?

Also highly questionable that any of these guys reach 200 IP. 

This group has some nice upside, but by mid-May it could also be a trainwreck...both Gee and Niese got off to awful starts last season, Mejia could wind up on the DL at any time (if it happens again this year, I probably give up on him), and Wheeler could be fighting though growing pains.  Hard to think we won't see one or both of Syndergaard and Montero by mid-June. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 06 February 2014 - 07:24 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#23 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:41 AM

I think the rotation will be okay, not great. To me, Gee and Niese are more like league average-ish hurlers. Colon is due to regress closer to league average (2.65 ERA versus 3.95 xFIP in 2013). Zack Wheeler, who had well-below average fielder-independent numbers in 2013 despite the decent ERA, will likely be below average if he doesn't make any strides with his K/BB. Mejia might have the biggest upside of any of the starting 5, but of course has serious durability questions. I'm optimistic on Syndergaard and Montero but they're still just pitching prospects, the former with no experience in AAA yet. 

I like the depth and the young arms we have here, to be clear, but I'm tempering my expectations on what they'll do next year. On the plus side, if things go right, the Mets should have plenty of trade chips to work with over the next year.

Edited by nmigliore, 06 February 2014 - 10:47 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#24 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,230 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:08 AM

Yeah, some things will go right, some will go wrong.  So overall it will probably be okay, like you're saying.  We've said it before, but I think the main goal this season should be to get Mejia through one year without landing on the DL, and Syndergaard and Montero some major-league innings when other guys inevitably miss starts, and hope both are 100% either good enough to be included in the 2015 plans or be valuable enough to be traded for someone else.

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#25 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:36 PM

Ralph Kiner has passed away. :(

The man was such a joy to have on the broadcasts and so insightful even to his last day on the job, and that was only half of his outstanding achievements -- he was a Hall of Fame ballplayer, as well. RIP Ralph. Gonna really miss his presence this season. 

Edited by nmigliore, 06 February 2014 - 03:38 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#26 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,230 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:46 PM

Ralph Kiner has passed away. :(

The man was such a joy to have on the broadcasts and so insightful even to his last day on the job, and that was only half of his outstanding achievements -- he was a Hall of Fame ballplayer, as well. RIP Ralph. Gonna really miss his presence this season. 

When you make it to 91, you did well...he lived quite the full life. 

Last decade was clearly tough for him.  When you hear his early broadcasts, you realize how sharp he once was...he clearly started to age in that regard in the 80s. 

Had a hell of a baseball career until a back injury forced him out of the game at just 32 years old...his numbers from 1947-51 were pretty awesome.  He got into the Hall of Fame in his last year of eligibility, and by just one vote at that...the narrowest margin of getting in ever. 

#30 FOREVER!

#27 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:52 PM

No doubt, re: living a full life. He also had his mind with him the entire time; his speech may have worsened but he still knew his sh!t and was always a very humorous story-teller. He used to get Gary/Keith/Ron laughing hysterically at some of stories he'd tell. It's a shame I wasn't around to enjoy his younger broadcasting years and his legendary "Kiner's Korner" although I've seen highlights of it.

That's an interesting fact on the Hall of Fame, I didn't know of it. Pretty crazy. 

Pretty cool colored photo I found on Twitter of Ralph, Bob Murphy, and Lindsey Nelson:

Bf0W7EKCAAAdfzc.png

Edited by nmigliore, 06 February 2014 - 03:58 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#28 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,961 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:07 PM

RIP Ralph... Was part of the soundtrack of my childhood listening to him and Tim McCarver call Met games. One of the all-timers. Prayers and condolences to his family.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#29 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,230 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:09 PM

No doubt, re: living a full life. He also had his mind with him the entire time; his speech may have worsened but he still new his sh!t and was always a very humorous story-teller. 

That's an interesting fact on the Hall of Fame, I didn't know of it. Pretty crazy. 

He did get slower in time, and that was hard to listen to, only because I heard him in his prime as a broadcaster.  Getting old is a bitch, for everyone.

Poor Ralph played for some TERRIBLE Pirate teams too...that stretch from 47-51, when he was truly a beast (see numbers below), his teams went a combined 337-432...in 1952, the Pirates lost 112 games.  He was traded to the Cubs in 1953 when then-Pirate GM Branch Rickey told him "We finished last with you, we can finish last without you".

1947:  .313 BA, .417 OB%, 51 HR, 127 RBI, .639 SLG, 98 BB, 81 K, 1.055 OB+SLG, 173 OPS+

1948:  .265 BA, .391 OB%, 40 HR, 123 RBI, .533 SLG, 112 BB, 61 K, .924 OB+SLG, 146 OPS+

1949:  .310 BA, .432 OB%, 54 HR, 127 RBI, .658 SLG, 117 BB, 61 K, 1.089 OB+SLG, 186 OPS+

1950:  .272 BA, .408 OB%, 47 HR, 118 RBI, .590 SLG, 122 BB, 79 K, .998 OB+SLG, 156 OPS+

1951:  .309 BA, .452 OB%, 42 HR, 109 RBI, .627 SLG, 137 BB, 57 K, 1.079 OB+SLG, 185 OPS+

That is one friggin' beastly stretch of play.  He had other good years too, but that stretch was pretty ridiculous.

Sports Illustrated put out an article back in 1990...it was about players in 1990 who would've been great in the 40s and 50s, and vice-versa (as well as players who would've struggled if taken out of one era and placed into another).  Ralph was one of the players they said would've had a tough time in 1990, as they said Astroturf would've eaten him alive in the field (he was very slow and not a great fielder).  They said he would've been a full-time DH for sure.  Same article said Vince Coleman would've sucked back then...basically made it sound like without his home turf fields and other turf fields, he wouldn't have been very good. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 06 February 2014 - 04:43 PM.

#30 FOREVER!

#30 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,004 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:16 PM

RIP Ralph... Was part of the soundtrack of my childhood listening to him and Tim McCarver call Met games. One of the all-timers. Prayers and condolences to his family.

Same here...a lot of Met fans are like us and grew up with the Ralph/Tim/Rusty/etc broadcasts.  

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#31 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,961 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:11 PM

Same here...a lot of Met fans are like us and grew up with the Ralph/Tim/Rusty/etc broadcasts.

Ralph, Tim, Rusty, Steve Zabriskie, and Fran Healy- those were the guys I grew up with watching the Mets on TV, and Bob Murphy on the radio. But Ralph was THE guy. My all-time favorite baseball commentator. And Kiner's Korner... Always loved watching Kiner's Korner after games. They don't make 'em like Ralph Kiner anymore. The world is worse off today than it was yesterday.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#32 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:53 PM

Rodney signs with the Mariners, 2 years and $14 million. So that ends that.

Right now a reunion with K-Rod looks like the best option. I don't see any better reliever -- that is healthy, anyway -- out there (besides maybe Ollie but we would never sign him).

Edited by nmigliore, 06 February 2014 - 06:53 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#33 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,230 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:49 AM

Ralph, Tim, Rusty, Steve Zabriskie, and Fran Healy- those were the guys I grew up with watching the Mets on TV, and Bob Murphy on the radio. But Ralph was THE guy. My all-time favorite baseball commentator. And Kiner's Korner... Always loved watching Kiner's Korner after games. They don't make 'em like Ralph Kiner anymore. The world is worse off today than it was yesterday.

Yep, I remember all of these guys too.  I heard a clip from Vin Scully about Ralph, and I didn't realize this, but he said Kiner was one of the first players to make the successful transition from former player to broadcaster.  And because he HAD been a former player (and a very good one at that...when he retired, he was 5th on the all-time HR list), players had a tremendous amount of respect for him.  Apparently many of them considered it a real honor to come on Kiner's Korner. 

What's funny (and sad) is seeing the players I grew up watching now working with the Mets.  Hernandez, Darling, Ojeda...I was a teenager when they were playing with the Mets, and I truly remember their playing days like they just happened.  It's still weird to see them aging, a little chubbier than they used to be, doing Met broadcasts.  I don't think I'll ever get used to it entirely. 

Rodney signs with the Mariners, 2 years and $14 million. So that ends that.

Right now a reunion with K-Rod looks like the best option. I don't see any better reliever -- that is healthy, anyway -- out there (besides maybe Ollie but we would never sign him).

You can definitely make arguments both for and against signing Rodney.  My guess is if the Mets truly had a chance to contend, Sandy might have gone for it. 

I get the feeling K-Rod's not coming here either...think Sandy's going with stopgaps now. 

#30 FOREVER!

#34 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,888 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:26 AM

Interesting developments on the Drew front. Francesa was probably right when he said they offered him a contract. 

The Mets are willing to offer three years to free-agent SS Stephen Drew, Sandy Alderson told a group of season-ticket holders Thursday at Citi Field, but so far that has not been necessary.

However, Drew’s agent, Scott Boras, is seeking an opt-out clause after the first year of the deal, which the Mets view as a deal breaker (Rubin, Feb. 6).

http://metsblog.com/

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#35 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,230 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:31 AM

Interesting developments on the Drew front. Francesa was probably right when he said they offered him a contract. 

http://metsblog.com/

Mets are being used here...basically Boras is hoping Drew has a big enough year that he can say "soyonara" after one season, but if he stinks, well, then the Mets are stuck with him for two more years.  fvck Boras. 

#30 FOREVER!

#36 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:09 AM

Metsblog is wrong on that first note, for what it's worth. They misinterpreted what Sandy said last night. 

re: the 1 year opt-out: There is almost no upside and so much downside for the Mets in such a deal. If he has a good year, he bolts; if he sucks or gets hurt, the Mets are on the hook for a 2nd and possibly 3rd year. The Mets would never entertain such a deal.

I'm still sticking to what I think is a fair deal: 2 years at $10-11 million per, 3rd year based on Drew staying healthy; that or up the value to $13-14 million per over 2 years but with no chance of a 3rd year. I think either of those deals would be very fair. 

Edited by nmigliore, 07 February 2014 - 10:12 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#37 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,230 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:14 AM

Metsblog is wrong on that first note, for what it's worth. They misinterpreted what Sandy said last night. 

re: the 1 year opt-out: There is almost no upside and so much downside for the Mets in such a deal. If he has a good year, he bolts; if he sucks or gets hurt, the Mets are on the hook for a 2nd and possibly 3rd year. The Mets would never entertain such a deal.

I'm still sticking to what I think is a fair deal: 2 years at $10-11M per, 3rd year based on Drew staying healthy; that or up the value to $14M per over 2 years but with no chance of a 3rd year. I think either of those deals would be very fair. 

That's actually overpaying pretty significantly...Drew's missed a ton of games the last three seasons, and hasn't been great to boot, but Boras seems to think he'd be doing the Mets a major favor by having him sign with them.  Boras thinks he's getting one over on the Mets with a deal like the one he wants.  Anyone can see through that crap. 

#30 FOREVER!

#38 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:17 AM

The going rate on a win this winter has been in the $6-7 million range and going up; Drew projects as something between a +2 and +3 win player in 2014. You do the math. There is an easy case that 2/28 is a very reasonable deal, if it avoids having to commit a 3rd year. Whether the Mets have the cash for it is another story, granted. If you can get him for 2/20 or 2/22 that would be even better, of course, but I don't see why he'd take that without a 3rd guaranteed year or an easy vesting option for a 3rd year.

Edited by nmigliore, 07 February 2014 - 10:20 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#39 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,230 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:25 AM

The going rate on a win this winter has been in the $6-7 million range and going up; Drew projects as something between a +2 and +3 win player in 2014. You do the math. There is an easy case that 2/28 is a very reasonable deal, if it avoids having to commit a 3rd year. Whether the Mets have the cash for it is another story, granted. If you can get him for 2/20 or 2/22 that would be even better, of course, but I don't see why he'd take that without a 3rd guaranteed year or an easy vesting option for a 3rd year.

Projections, please...the guy has played in 289 out of 486 possible games the past three years.  Based on that I can "project" that he'll play about 90-100 games next year, or average roughly that in the next three seasons.  Next year that could mean 60+ games of Tejada and/or Quintanilla.  Doing the math, he's not worth $14 mil a year. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 07 February 2014 - 10:25 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#40 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:31 AM

He was worth about +3.5 wins last season. In 2012 he was a wreck after returning from a severe ankle injury that required surgery. In 2011, before having said ankle injury, he was performing quite well (92 wRC+, +1.7 WAR in 86 games). He was fantastic in 2010 (113 wRC+, +4.7 WAR) and decent in 2009 (+2 WAR in 135 games). He's not actually injury prone when you look at his career in total; sure he missed some games this year (not that it held him back), but the missed time in 2011-2012 was due to an awful ankle injury, not little dings here and there. When he's been healthy, he's been an above average player, and he generally HAS been healthy outside of the ankle surgery that ended his 2011 early and clearly still effected him in 2012.

I wouldn't expect him to maintain his 2013 level performance, even if he stays completely healthy for 150+ games, but regression to something between +2 to +3 wins is pretty fair. Steamer and ZiPS see him as a +2 win player while Fangraph Fans are more optimistic and have him a little over +3 in just 132 games. Even if you take the low-end of that (+2 wins), it's worth $13 million in this market: 2 wins (multiplied by) $6.5 million market rate of win = $13 million. 

What exactly would YOU give Drew? What do you consider fair for him? I think you're greatly undervaluing the rise of a cost of a win in today's game. 

And hey, Drew may not even that much given that it's February and he apparently lacks other suitors. I'm just saying, something in the 2/26 range to avoid giving him a 3rd year actually does make sense when you consider market prices these days. No matter where he goes, I'd be shocked if he didn't get at least 2/20.

Edited by nmigliore, 07 February 2014 - 10:45 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users