1602 replies to this topic

#461 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:29 AM

I can't really disagree with you nmig...I just don't like Duda (big suprise, right?) and don't think he's ever going to amount to anything...I don't think 100-150 PA would do anything to dispell that.  But yeah, Amateur Terry/Passive/the Mets look collectively silly giving up on Doofus that quickly (even if I'm behind it) after proclaiming he was going to get an extended look. 

Yep that's exactly my point. I fully understand you're not a fan of his, but clearly the Mets still see some hope there.... yet they are content with keeping Ike on the roster (despite the fact he's nothing more than a pinch-hitter off the bench) and calling the Duda experiment over after literally 4 games in which he started. How does that make any sense?

This is why I keep saying they need to just commit to one and dump the other. A trade, Las Vegas, whatever. This constant flip-flopping is doing no good for anyone involved. How are you supposed to find an answer when you're playing the hot/cold card every series or two?

Edited by nmigliore, 10 April 2014 - 10:34 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#462 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,227 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:43 AM

Can't argue any of the above either.  Pick one (REALLY pick one) and be done with it.  What's scary is that the Mets still see hope in Duda (I don't see how).  Based off what Ike's done since his recall, I'd just go with him...I don't kid myself, he could fail spectacularly.  Whoever the first baseman of the future is for the Mets, I feel pretty confident in saying that he's not currently on the team. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#463 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,988 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:06 PM

Josh Satin will start once in Anaheim, but TC says it's still Lucas Duda starting 3 of every 4 games. #mets

This would be hilarious if it wasn't so annoying.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#464 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,227 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:10 PM

This would be hilarious if it wasn't so annoying.

Again...it will be a wonderful day when this team gets a real manager. 

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#465 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,886 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:23 PM

wow, did Granderson wreck the 3rd inning or what? Typical Turner Field bad luck which only happens to us.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#466 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:11 PM

Lagares whiffs and d'Arnaud grounds out. Really needed a run there. Hate this lineup.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#467 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,886 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:19 PM

Thought d'Arnaud was coming out of it a bit last night...but again he doesn't come through. Lagares I can understand he's going to be a wild hacker at times.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#468 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:46 PM

Of course Ike can't get the run in with less than 2 out. fvcking joke.

At least Lagares came through.

Edited by nmigliore, 10 April 2014 - 08:54 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#469 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,886 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:38 PM

Farnsworth to Valverde. Getting it done with the young arms!

to be honest the Braves are just not that good.

Edited by '7', 10 April 2014 - 09:38 PM.

#470 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:42 PM

Big change from Valverde from the previous night (and previous outings). He had been near-100% fastballs. Tonight? 7 pitches, 4 splitters. Good to see him mix it up. The splitters he threw to Pena and Gattis completely fooled them and produced pop-ups and he baffled Heyward with one on 0-1.

Farnsworth hit 96 tonight. Amazed this is the same guy who was sitting in the low/mid-80's early in spring training. 

Edited by nmigliore, 10 April 2014 - 09:53 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#471 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:51 PM

Mejia's final numbers tonight don't look good but I'm still impressed with his stuff. 15 swinging strikes, 11 of which came on his cutter, which also had better velocity than it did Friday night. As long as he keeps missing bats and getting groundballs, you can live with below average control. Obviously he's going to have to stop walking nearly a batter per inning but just simply regressing to his career walk rate of 9.6% (3.87 per 9) would be sufficient. 

Edited by nmigliore, 10 April 2014 - 09:54 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#472 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,227 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:03 AM

EY is now 7 for his last 19 in the past 5 games, which is bad.  That means he's probably bought himself at least another month of relevancy, maybe more. 

Last night's offensive "outburst" (9 hits as the Mets batted .250 as a team) raised the Met team batting average to .198 and the team OB% to .273.  Gary and Ron talked about how Sandy likes players who get on base a lot, and how it's an organizational mantra.  Would've been nice if they wondered aloud why Sandy never seems to bring in players who actually show that ability. 

re:  Mejia...the walks are worrisome, in spite of some other numbers looking good.  His major-league walk rate is no real benchmark, because it's all based on small, almost random samples.  Last year is the one that's starting to look flukey (and it's also the stretch that brought his major-league walk rate down to 3.87 in the first place), in terms of him having good control.  I know sabes guys tend to love Ks over everything else, but I like guys who throw strikes and don't labor.  Five innings of four-run and four-BB ball isn't really much to get excited over.  It's only two starts, so I'm not worried yet.  It was important for Mejia to get this chance and not get hurt, and so far, so good. 

Anytime this team can take two out of three at Turner, you have to be thrilled with it.  '7' is right about the Braves, at least right now...the Mets have scored 34 runs in 9 games, and it feels like they struggle to score.  Atlanta has scored 23 runs in their 9 games.  Yikes.

And I'm sorry, Gary and Ron are 100% right...why the hell wasn't this an afternoon game, with the Mets having to go to Anaheim?  Ridiculous.   

#30 FOREVER!

#473 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:40 AM

The good news for Mejia is strikeout and groundball rates stabilize much quicker than walk rate. 

re: Atlanta -- It's not just you guys. BJ Upton and Dan Uggla are such sinkholes in that lineup. Uggla will be replaced by promising 2B (and NJ native) Tommy La Stella at some point but they're stuck with BJ and his bloated contract. Atlanta has gotten great pitching so far but that's really where they could get burned with the injuries to Medlen, Beachy, Minor, Floyd, Venters, etc.

The Steamer/ZiPS combo projection over at Fangraphs only see Atlanta as an 83 win team (this includes season-to-date). PECOTA (Baseball Prospectus) says 82 wins. Washington is by far the class of the division and their hot start (7-2) with the Braves' mediocre one (5-4) only widens the gap. In fact, the Nats' division title odds (78.8%) are the best in MLB by more than 10%. We already knew this before the season, but the NL East is really weak this year.

Edited by nmigliore, 11 April 2014 - 07:56 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#474 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,227 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:03 AM

Oh BTW...in case anyone here hasn't heard it yet:

Lucas will now start three out of every four games, with Satin or Davis getting that "fourth" game.  Which to me translates to:  if Duda goes 1-for-11 with 5 K in three games (highly possible) and Davis or Satin has a 3-for-4 day with some RBI, then one of those guys will become the 3-out-of-4 guy.

To EVERYONE'S credit on SNY, they all ripped this as being completely absurd, and none of them can believe this is the situation. 

#30 FOREVER!

#475 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,886 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:10 AM

In a perfect world we trade BOTH Duda and Ike were traded in the offseason (for relief pitching, however sketchy the return may have been) and just signed Jose Abreu...if only.

gun to my head if I had to pick one it would probably be Ike. Trade Duda to Pittsburgh for Nick Kingham

Edited by '7', 11 April 2014 - 09:19 AM.

#476 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,227 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:24 AM

In a perfect world we trade BOTH Duda and Ike were traded in the offseason (for relief pitching, however sketchy the return may have been) and just signed Jose Abreu...if only.

gun to my head if I had to pick one it would probably be Ike

I just don't know why Ike isn't getting the opportunity to show that his new plate-approach skills after his recall are permanent.  He drew a couple of walks yesterday and seems to be doing a better job not swinging at awful pitches.  At least there's the POSSIBILITY that he's turned a corner.  I'm not going to tell you that I have any great faith in him, but why not see if he's improved?

Duda is Duda.  Great, if he's a full-time guy, maybe he hits 20 HR.  He'll also strike out a lot (seemingly always in the biggest spots) and suck defensively no matter where you play him. 

Satin was a nice story last season, but he's clearly a backup and nothing more at the major-league level.

#30 FOREVER!

#477 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,886 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:36 PM

heh, Bobby Abreu is the 51's leading hitter. 10 hits in 19 Ab's, 3 walks, 5rbi's in 8 games.

#478 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,886 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:57 PM

Looks like Gee's pitch count should probably be lowered to 90. I mean when he loses it he completely loses it. just no hope

whatever it is, 90-100 is an absolute crapshoot where every pitch might be a home run. Every pitch

Edited by '7', 11 April 2014 - 10:57 PM.

#479 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,227 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:57 PM

Amateur fvcking Terry still hasn't figured out that Gee loses it after 90 pitches. 

#30 FOREVER!

#480 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,227 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:00 PM

ABOUT fvckING TIME TERRY YOU fvckING AMATEUR ZILCH...

oh wait, he can't make a move until his starter throws 100 pitches. 

#30 FOREVER!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users