1776 replies to this topic

#541 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,721 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:09 PM

Yeah, a 6-3 trip seemed like a pipe dream.  Wow is Arizona off to a dreadful start.  4-14 (1-11 at home?!) is damned near season-killing type stuff. 

8-7 is great, in that it's bought this team a little leeway...if they were 6-9 or 5-10, everyone would be all over them. 

That being said, it's impossible to believe this team is on the way to overachieving...just too many holes.  nmig is right, Valverde stinks.  Can't expect Farnsworth to keep up what he's done either.  Or EY. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#542 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,185 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:54 PM

It is kind of absurd how difficult opponent wise, and travel wise these first few weeks have been. St Louis and Atlanta are going to be real tough, even though we're at home. I'd sign for 3-4 right now in those games.

Then a series with the Marlins and Phils.

Basically I'd like to see 6-6 for the rest of April. Last year they were 10-15 at the end of April and just felt buried

Edited by '7', 16 April 2014 - 06:56 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#543 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,880 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:29 PM

Gotta give the Mets some credit here. After a tough start they could've fallen even further behind, but took care of business against the Braves and D-backs. Still have ATL and STL coming up, but kudos to them.

Not to derail this thread, if you think the Mets have a tough April, look at the Orioles!

#544 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,684 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:47 PM

Heavy rumors swirling that Ike's about to go to the Pirates (per Heyman and others).  If it's true well thank god this circus is about to end at last.  

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#545 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:51 PM

Makes loads of sense. I've been saying for awhile Pittsburgh is by far most logical fit. Glad the juggling act finally comes to an end. Mets probably got crap back.

Edited by nmigliore, 18 April 2014 - 05:51 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#546 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:59 PM

RHP Zack Thornton, AAA reliever, coming back plus a PTBNL. Someone claims Thornton could've just been picked up in the Rule 5 this winter. LOL.

So exactly what I thought: crap. This is why I was all over Sandy when he didn't do the Ike-for-Joyce deal. 

Edited by nmigliore, 18 April 2014 - 06:02 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#547 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,185 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:04 PM

If that trade was ever on the table then yea, Sandy f'd up big time.

but hey, maybe this bullpen arm we get back will amount to something. But it's hard to really put a positive spin on this.

The Mets gave Ike plenty of chances...he just never turned it around. And if he does in Pittsburgh now, I'm going to be livid.

Edited by '7', 18 April 2014 - 06:05 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#548 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:06 PM

I don't think they had a choice but to move him. I can't fault Sandy for doing this move, right now. My beef with was that he waited so long and nuked whatever trade value Ike had. He totally misplayed this one.

I mean, the guy they acquired was skipped over by them and 28 other teams in the Rule 5 for a reason. The players coming back aren't important, this is just Sandy finally admitting defeat. 

Edited by nmigliore, 18 April 2014 - 06:11 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#549 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,684 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:08 PM

I hope the PTBNL amounts to something, otherwise yeah Sandy dragged his feet too long and it cost us this time.  

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#550 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,185 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:49 PM

Mets get some bad luck on a replay call. d'Arnaud safe on a slow roller (looked like he got the back with his toe) but called out. Duda seeing the out was made slows up and gets thrown out at 3rd. If the call is overturned at 1st Duda would be out anyway, but seeing the out was made what is he supposed to do? Go back to the dugout and get his glove...

Edited by '7', 18 April 2014 - 06:50 PM.

#551 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,684 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:19 PM

hearing the PTBNL in ike deal is fairly significant. so there's that. #mets #bucs

#552 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,185 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:30 PM

it can't be so significant though...maybe a utility infielder or a reliever with slightly better upside than Thornton

Also Aaron Harang, a scrap heap pickup to eat up innings for us last year has now no hit us through 5. Amazing the restorative qualities of a Braves uniform

#553 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,684 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:39 PM

Did Harang go on PED's in the offseason? :P

#554 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,684 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:43 PM

And OF COURSE this is happening at Citi Field too, where we don't do s*it period.

#555 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,185 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:46 PM

I'm at the point with Citi Field where I want to pull a Braves and just call a mulligan a build a new stadium. :P with no Wilpon input of course

Edited by '7', 18 April 2014 - 07:47 PM.

#556 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,684 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:56 PM

lol Granderson

I'm at the point with Citi Field where I want to pull a Braves and just call a mulligan a build a new stadium. :P with no Wilpon input of course

It's such a nice place too, Brooklyn Dodger ties or not :(

#557 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,185 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:08 PM

It is a nice place, but something about it...I think a large % of Mets fans will say it's never felt like home. And we're into year 6 already.

The Mets were never associated with anything retro, they were always about what's new and exciting. I don't think a retro park really fits the franchise. I would've loved to have seen something sleeker...glass. Something that glows in Mets colors at night. Think Console Energy Center or Prudential Center. I, like all other Mets fans have no affinity or nostalgia for the Dodgers...when I see the Ebbets type design when walking in it kills it for me, it's like...WHY?

#558 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:11 PM

Keep in mind the PTBNL could also be a 2013 draftee. Still, not betting on the player being anything of much interest.

Harang throwing a no hitter, of course....
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#559 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,684 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:15 PM

It is a nice place, but something about it...I think a large % of Mets fans will say it's never felt like home. And we're into year 6 already.

The Mets were never associated with anything retro, they were always about what's new and exciting. I don't think a retro park really fits the franchise. I would've loved to have seen something sleeker...glass. Something that glows in Mets colors at night. Think Console Energy Center or Prudential Center. I, like all other Mets fans have no affinity or nostalgia for the Dodgers...when I see the Ebbets type design when walking in it kills it for me, it's like...WHY?

Part of it's the fact we've never had a single 'big' game at Citi either.  Losing records every season aren't exactly going to get repeat customers.  Most Devil fans were complaining about the Rock till the '12 playoff run, then it became home.  They need to have a few real September/October moments there.

It's sad when I think of big Citi moments the first thing that comes to mind is the All-Star game.  And that was only Mets-related cause of Harvey.  Oh and the Santana no-hitter (d'oh!)...that's it.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 18 April 2014 - 08:17 PM.

#560 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,185 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:18 PM

Harang now 6 outs away from a not hitter, and if he gets into trouble with walks they will just bring in relievers who will no hit us

He's at well over 100 pitches and Mets are missing 89 mph fastball over the middle of the plate. Wright, d'Arnaud...everybody. Just pathetic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users