1750 replies to this topic

#41 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,497 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:52 AM

I'm thinking right about 2/20.  I can live with that, but not much more. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#42 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:01 AM

I think he could return to Boston for that kind of price: 2 years, $10 million-ish per. But to go elsewhere, such as here, I just think it'll either cost a 3rd year of some sort -- either guaranteed or through an attainable vesting option based on health -- or giving him more value over those 2 years at the expense of a 3rd year, such as 2/26ish. That's all I'm saying. I'll take 2/20 or 2/22 with a vesting option or straight 2/26 (no option) at this point; anything less, if possible, would be even better, of course. 

Edited by nmigliore, 07 February 2014 - 11:05 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#43 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,497 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:11 AM

He really just should go back to Boston, but supposedly they want to make him a utility infielder. 

I think Boras is trying to force some kind of control of these negotiations when he really doesn't have much.  I think the Mets can get him at their price...it's getting into mid Feb and there doesn't seem to be much of a market developing for Drew.  Admittedly I'm not sure what the Mets' price is, but I'm guessing it's probably not 2/26...probably closer to 2/22.    

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#44 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:19 AM

Where did you read that, re: utility infielder? I can't imagine Boston paying him $10 million or more for 2 years to be a utility player; that doesn't make any sense, especially when they can get a compensation round draft pick by letting Drew sign elsewhere. If they do resign Drew that likely means Middlebrooks is the odd man out with Bogaerts at 3B, Drew at SS.

My hope here is that Boston is just mildly interested in bringing Drew back and rather have Bogaerts at SS with a compensation round pick (which will fall somewhere in the 30-40th overall range) in their bank.

Regarding the price: Who knows if they even have the money to do 2/26, I'm just saying I'd do it if it meant avoiding a 3rd year altogether; Drew is probably a liability by 2016 and I wouldn't really want to be paying him $10 million plus at that point, hence my preference for 2 years. But I agree, I'd bet the Mets are thinking closer to 2/20 and 2/22 right now. If that somehow gets it done, sweet, but I'm not betting on it.

Edited by nmigliore, 07 February 2014 - 11:27 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#45 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,497 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:23 AM

From Peter Gammons, for whatever that's worth, re:  utility infielder talk:

http://metsblog.com/...two-year-offer/

#30 FOREVER!

#46 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,497 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:01 PM

ESPN's David Schoenfield has the Mets going 73-89. 

http://espn.go.com/b...s-24-through-19

#30 FOREVER!

#47 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:43 PM

So pretty much every projection system has had the Mets between 73-77 wins:

Steamer (77 wins): http://www.fangraphs...ition=Standings

Clay Davenport: (77 wins): http://claydavenport.../PROJHOME.shtml

PECOTA (74 wins): http://www.baseballp...com/fantasy/dc/

ZiPS (very rough estimate based on their WAR depth chart - 74 wins): http://www.fangraphs...-new-york-mets/

David Schoenfield (73 wins): http://espn.go.com/b...s-24-through-19

On average that is 75 wins. I'm a little more optimistic, but not by much. This is still a sub-80 win team for me. Curious to see where Vegas puts their over/under.

Edited by nmigliore, 07 February 2014 - 12:47 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#48 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,497 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:46 PM

All the more reason why Sandy better friggin' get out of meek and passive mode in 2015, even if it's not all his fault.  2014 wasn't supposed to be 2013 all over again, but in a lot of ways it's going to be.   

Was listening to Evan on the WFAN during lunch...there's been some suggestions here and there about naming left field Kiner's Korner, or giving Kiner a retirement circle along with the retired numbers (like they did with Shea).  I kind of like the Kiner's Korner idea.  But I'm thinking if the Mets give Kiner a retirement circle, the probably should give one to Bob Murphy as well.  So I'm more liking the left field concept.

Evan also says something that rung true to me, about CitiField still not feeling like the Mets' home field.  Maybe it's because the Mets haven't been any good since moving to CitiField, maybe it because it's called CitiField (I do hate those corporate names), maybe it's because the Wilpons completely misread their fanbase (there's a surprise) by initially making Citi more of a shroud to the Brooklyn Dodgers than the team that actually plays there, but it still doesn't feel like the Mets' ballpark the way Shea Stadium did, despite its vastly superior technology and amenities.  Maybe a playoff appearance and some big postseason moments change that.  But it still feels like a place the Mets just happen to play in.       

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 07 February 2014 - 02:12 PM.

#30 FOREVER!

#49 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:10 PM

K-Rod going to the Brewers on a 1 year deal for a little over $3 million. Would've been a nice stopgap signing for us.

I would seriously sign Oliver Perez at this point. He won't get more than 1 year. He has no apparent interest. I understand this has next to no chance of happening, but he's seriously the best healthy reliever left. Since moving to the bullpen in 2012: 82.2 IP, 10.67 K/9, 3.16 ERA, 3.14 FIP

Oliver Perez, Somehow A Potential Bargain (Fangraphs)

Actually, why stop there, even? Ollie won't cost much, so throw in one of the rehabbing closers, Ryan Madson or Joel Hanrahan. 

Edited by nmigliore, 07 February 2014 - 03:23 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#50 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,497 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:33 PM

Ollie ain't happenin' nmig. 

I have no idea where Sandy's going for bullpen help at this point. 

#30 FOREVER!

#51 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:47 PM

Yeah I acknowledged it's very unrealistic. Ah well. I expect the bullpen to be pretty bad, as usual; even if Parnell comes back healthy and great, the rest of the group is largely unproven or just not good. I'm not usually someone to hem and haw about the bullpen when we always have bigger fish to fry, but Sandy has been absolutely horrendous at putting bullpens together since he got here:

Year: ERA- Rank, FIP- Rank

2011: 29th, 25th

2012: 30th, 29th

2013: 27th, 29th

I understand the fluctuation of relievers and all that, but that's just pitiful. If Sandy isn't the worst at bullpen construction, he's definitely up there. 

Edited by nmigliore, 07 February 2014 - 03:59 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#52 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,497 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:02 PM

I think part of it is Sandy's just not trying very hard.  Maybe he doesn't think it's worth it to bring in anyone good for the 'pen (and anywhere from moderately to highly expensive) until the team is truly ready to contend.  On one hand I get it, but it forever feels like this front office just isn't working as hard as we'd like.  Like I said, 2014 was NOT supposed to be 2013 Part 2. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 07 February 2014 - 04:02 PM.

#30 FOREVER!

#53 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:11 PM

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. -- After considering a shakeup, the Mets' in-game radio team will remain intact with the switch to WOR. 

An industry source told ESPNNewYork.com that Clear Channel Media and Entertainment has decided to keep Howie Rose and Josh Lewin as the broadcast team. 

Howie was always happening but there were a lot of rumors that Lewin would be replayed. Glad they are keeping the duo together. 

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#54 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,497 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:26 AM

Howie was always happening but there were a lot of rumors that Lewin would be replayed. Glad they are keeping the duo together. 

Yes, me too, I enjoy listening to them.

Sandy was on with Mike Francesa yesterday...it was about what you'd expect from Sandy...I didn't hear it in full, but I've seen some quotes, read a synopsis or two, and heard some isolated clips.  It's Sandy sounding meek, defeated, and passive, though he claims to be excited for the upcoming season.  Also said some of the young Met arms who've been starters in the minors might find their way onto the roster as relievers.   

Sounds like the only way Drew becomes a Met is if he pretty much falls in Sandy's lap and doesn't really have anywhere else to go.  I can't say Drew makes me want to pop champagne corks, but I still can't believe Tejada could actually be the Opening Day SS.  Sandy claims to be looking at the trade market for a SS, but does anybody really think he gets one that way? 

#30 FOREVER!

#55 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:14 AM

Mets signed Jose Valverde to a minor league deal. Valverde, Farnsworth... party like it's the mid-2000's!

Kidding aside, Valverde is good against righties, which would be nice if he was only asked to get righties out. 

2011-2013 vs RHB: .228 wOBA, 2.91 FIP

Career vs RHB: .259 wOBA, 2.89 FIP

2011-2013 vs LHB: .323 wOBA, 4.78 FIP

Career vs LHB: .300 wOBA, 4.40 FIP

I have no confidence that the Mets would use him in such role, however, given his history as a "proven" 8th/9th inning guy. 

In any case, the bullpen picture is becoming more clear:

Parnell

Farnsworth

Valverde

Black

Rice

Torres

Barring horrendous springs, Farnsworth and Valverde figure to make it; Sandy noted the bullpen lacked "veteran experience" in his interview yesterday with Mike. Black is almost a lock to make it. Rice isn't anything special but is a pretty good LOOGY. Torres had some success out of the bullpen last season and can even serve as a longman. That leaves likely one spot open, granted plenty of things can happen in spring training (injuries) than alter the picture. 

Edited by nmigliore, 12 February 2014 - 11:16 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#56 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,497 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:20 PM

Torres did such a nice job last year...hope he can do it again.

Transition year is a perfect time to see what Black has, and if Parnell wasn't permanently affected by his injury.

I get the feeling this bullpen is going to cough up some big leads though.

#30 FOREVER!

#57 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:25 PM

I guess it's relevant here: Phillies signed AJ Burnett, 1 year, $16 million. Nice add for them, even though they don't project as contenders. Don't lock in that 3rd place finish for us quite yet!

Edited by nmigliore, 12 February 2014 - 12:26 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#58 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,497 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:44 PM

I guess it's relevant here: Phillies signed AJ Burnett, 1 year, $16 million. Nice add for them, even though they don't project as contenders. Don't lock in that 3rd place finish for us quite yet!

Nice move, if he has a good year, they might be able to move him to a contender and get a piece or two. 

#30 FOREVER!

#59 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,099 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:27 PM

Jeter announced that 2014 will be his final season...wonder if these means Reyes to NYY eventually

Wilpons will now drop everything and go gift shopping for Derek Jeter. Gotta roll out the red carpet for him for the subway series games :puke:

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#60 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,497 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:07 AM

Jeter announced that 2014 will be his final season...wonder if these means Reyes to NYY eventually

Wilpons will now drop everything and go gift shopping for Derek Jeter. Gotta roll out the red carpet for him for the subway series games :puke:

lol, sad but so true.  Hey, at least the Wilpons know how to honor a team that moved out West in the late 50s and players who won at the Mets' expense.  Gotta give them credit for something. 

#30 FOREVER!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users