1719 replies to this topic

#621 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:08 PM

Literally 3 innings. It was terrible. I was in the Promenade (sister got them from a blood drive, so of course they were cheap seats). Couldn't even stand in the concourse area, the wind gusts were worse there.

Think I'm pretty much done getting/accepting tickets for April night games so far in advance. :lol:

LOL, I used to buy the six packs/seven packs/nine packs back in the day.  There was always an April game in there.  Yeah, April games are brutal...even when it seems nice during the day, the temperature has a way of plummeting at Flushing. 

Were other people in "the hell with this!" mode too?

Is Granderson hearing the boo birds?

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 23 April 2014 - 08:09 PM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#622 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:13 PM

Haha yeah: I counted at least 6-7 people that got up and left before I did in my section . Crowd was pretty parse in general, too.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#623 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:16 PM

Did you get the impression that Wacha was affected by it?  Was he running a lot of deep counts, even with the 10 K?

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#624 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:18 PM

Did you get the impression that Wacha was affected by it?  Was he running a lot of deep counts, even with the 10 K?

I was out of there by the time he struggled (the 4th), but yeah, still deep counts with the strikeouts. 

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#625 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:20 PM

Kudos to Niese on a terrific game. Really don't know how the hell you even throw a baseball with this cold and ridiculous wind. 

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#626 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:24 PM

Niese off to a nice start through four starts:  25.2 IP, 22 H, 7 ER, 7 BB, 19 K, 2.42 ERA.  The starting pitching has been pretty good (as was expected).  Wheeler's been pretty meh (though not really awful in his starts), and Colon's numbers are bloated by the one awful start, but overall they've kept the Mets in most of the games. 

#30 FOREVER!

#627 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,193 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:42 PM

Literally 3 innings. It was terrible. I was in the Promenade (sister got them from a blood drive, so of course they were cheap seats). Couldn't even stand in the concourse area, the wind gusts were worse there.

Think I'm pretty much done getting/accepting tickets for April night games so far in advance. :lol:

lol yeah a night game in April especially can be pretty dicey if you don't have club access.  Fortunately almost all the seats (sans the Promenade corners) have some type of club access.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#628 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:22 PM

Mets win!

Guaranteed to at least come out of this stretch .500. Would be awesome if they pulled out a win tomorrow and took 3-of-4 but I'm happy with this.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#629 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:56 AM

Yeah, kind of amazing they've done what they've done, especially with all of the guys who've literally done nothing at the plate.  This team has a .294 OB%.  Wright's K-to-BB ratio is terrible so far (23-to-6), and his OB+SLG is pretty poor too, for him (.674, far below his career .885).  He only has three extra-base hits through 21 games.  The Mets as a team have hit just 13 home runs.

The good news is he should improve, as should others.  Granderson can't be THIS bad.

The latest numbers for deGrom, Syndergaard, and Montero...deGrom's was OK, but Syndergaard's and Montero's last starts were not good:

deGrom:  5 IP, 6 H, 3 ER, 0 HR, 2 BB, 6 K

Syndergaard:  4 IP, 6 H, 4 ER, 1 HR, 3 BB, 3 K  (Syndergaard's control in his last three starts hasn't been great...7 BB in 14 IP.  Can't help but wonder how much of this is PCL-influenced)

Montero:  4 IP, 6 H, 4 ER, 1 HR, 3 BB, 6 K 

1st baseman Allan Dykstra (no relation to Lenny) is shredding the PCL right now (1.375 OB+SLG), but will be 27 in May and isn't really considered to be a prospect.  If Duda and Satin both get hurt or falter badly, maybe he gets a look, but the guess here, based on his overall minor-league numbers, is that he might get off to an intriguing start, then disappear.  And though he's shown an ability to draw walks and get on base, he also is a high-K guy.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 24 April 2014 - 07:57 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#630 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,193 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:16 PM

Wow, three of four against the Cardinals.  Dice-K just continues to not go away, but to his credit he's actually been very good as a Met.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#631 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:17 PM

Bobby Abreu played RF, Dice-K was used as a closer, and the Mets took 3 of 4 from the Cardinals. Baseball!
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#632 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:16 PM

Amazing...three out of four against the Cards where they didn't hit much (22 hits for the entire series).  12-10 despite an offense that is dead last in OB+SLG (.602), and a GM that was completely useless this offseason. 

Colon will always scare me, due to age and weight, but he's been solid in four out of five starts. 

Hard to think that the Mets will keep this up unless they start hitting soon...they've managed to score a decent amount of runs for a team that doesn't hit, doesn't get on base, and doesn't hit with power (thanks again for nothing Sandy), but it's a credit to their pitching that they've managed a winning record.  Only 27 runs allowed in their last 10 games, and if you take out the 22 runs allowed in the season-opening sweep, and the 14-run disaster against the Angels, they've only allowed 54 runs in the other 18 games.  Not too bad. 

#30 FOREVER!

#633 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,990 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:54 PM

I've noticed this kid Allan Dykstra is just killing it in Vegas...he's an old prospect (26 soon to be 27) seems like a Duda clone. Big, power...will take his walks but K's a lot as well. Does he have a future with the Mets. Is he plan B if Duda falters?

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#634 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:34 AM

The Mets kept Dykstra in AA for 3 years despite his production at that level and age -- that pretty much tells you all you need to know about what they think of him.

At least he's better than Eddie Kunz.

Edited by nmigliore, 25 April 2014 - 07:36 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#635 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:52 AM

I posted the same thing '7', re:  Dykstra...yeah, he's putting up monster stats so far for sure.  Unfortunately, it's Vegas, which means his numbers are likely bloated.  He did put up decent numbers at Binghamton, but spent the better part of three seasons there.  You never hear much about him, in terms of a major-league future.    

The New York Mets did announce on 9/27/13 that first baseman Allan Dykstra and catcher Kevin Plawecki were named the Sterling Minor League Organizational Co-Players of the Year, for whatever that's worth.  He was also the 2013 EAS MVP, but the age issue diminishes that a bit.

He may get a shot if Duda fails or gets hurt...Satin is really a back-up type who has limitations (no power, no speed).  It seems like it's Duda's job to lose for a while though...I think he's going to have to suck badly for at least a month before the Mets would consider giving Dykstra a shot.  But if Dykstra is still lighting it up in late May, people are going to notice it more and more...especially if Duda is struggling.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 25 April 2014 - 08:06 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#636 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:42 PM

Great game by Wheeler tonight. Too bad this lineup is so fvcking terrible.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#637 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:49 PM

Pretty good game for Wheeler, but same ol' sh!t with him...110 pitches in 6 IP.  63 strikes and 47 balls. 

David Wright had an extra base hit, which is cause for celebration these days.  Nice to see d'Arnaud get his average over .200 too.  Kinda scary that Quintanilla is the guy you send up to pinch hit for Zack.  Even scarier that he's still here. 

#30 FOREVER!

#638 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,990 posts

Bullpen could only keep it up so long. Germen is not going to be earning Terry's trust with that gag job.
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#639 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,193 posts

Funny how everyone else comes into Citi and hits bombs while it's like pulling teeth for us to do it.

#640 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:57 PM

Funny how everyone else comes into Citi and hits bombs while it's like pulling teeth for us to do it.

Everyone knew what the weaknesses were, as far as the lineup went, and the GM chose to do nothing, outside of spending an absurd amount of money on a question mark.  At least the pitching looks like it will keep the Mets in their fair share of games.  The offense should improve to some extent, but I don't think it will be by much.  Wright can't carry a lineup (especially THIS lineup), Murph can't get on base enough, and there isn't anyone else you can point to and expect much from. 

#30 FOREVER!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users