A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,137 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:25 AM

Alderson also said a Stephen Drew signing is "unlikely" #mets

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#62 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,137 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:09 AM

Thinking of this from the front office's perspective, I can construct a pretty strong argument against Drew: 

1) Regression and overvaluing 1 year of data. There was a big gap between he and Tejada last season. By Fangraphs' WAR, Drew was worth +3.4 wins versus Tejada's -0.3. That's a pretty significant gap. But in 2012, Tejada was worth +1.8 wins versus Drew's -0.3. And in 2011, Tejada was worth +1.6 wins versus Drew's +1.7 in basically the same amount of plate appearances.

Both players are likely headed towards a form of regression in 2014. in Drew's case, that's regressing down; in Tejada's case, it's regressing up, because it's hard to be as bad as he was last season. If we look at the two top projection systems out there -- Steamer and ZiPS -- this is what they think of Drew and Tejada in 2014:

Steamer, Drew: .232/.314/.378, +1.8 WAR

Steamer, Tejada: .260/.317/.339, +1.6 WAR

ZiPS, Drew: .239/.312/.393, +1.6 WAR

ZiPS, Tejada: .255/.309/.326, +1.5 WAR

In both cases, the difference in projected value is basically negligible; ZiPS and Steamer think Tejada and Drew will be the same player in 2014. I personally think the gap is bigger, but probably around 1 win or slightly more, which is in line with what Fangraphs' Fan project. Which brings us to the next point.....

2) Marginal value of wins. If we put ZiPS/Steamer aside and assume the gap is closer to +1 win or slightly more in favor of Drew, we have to consider what the addition of +1 win does for the Mets. Fortunately, I've already rolled out a handful of projection systems that, on average, see the Mets as something around a 75ish win ballclub. That means 1 win makes the team a 76 win team instead of 75. Or a 77 win team instead of 76. Or a 78 win team instead of 77, depending on where you starting point is. But the point is, it doesn't make much of a difference given where the Mets are. If the Mets were projected to be over .500 over by a few games, then you enter a placement on the win curve where every added win could be huge, increasing the cost value of that win to your team. In short, adding 1 win to a projected 85-win team is a WAY more valuable than adding 1 win to a projected 75-win team. In the Mets' case, is adding 1 win in 2014 worth taking on additional $10 million or more in salary for the next two to three seasons? I don't think so. 

The concept of marginal value of wins is pretty simple to understand, but if you want read a little more about it, go here.

3) Draft pick compensation. The cost of signing Drew isn't just monetary. The Mets already gave up their 2nd round pick to sign Granderson. If they sign Drew, not only will he likely get an 8-figure deal over multiple years, but he'd also cost the Mets their 3rd rounder. Let's remember the Mets are still a rebuilding team that really shouldn't be in the business of handing away valuable draft picks and the bonus pool money that is attached to those picks, especially when you are only making what looks like a 1 win upgrade to the roster, or no upgrade, if we are to believe Steamer and ZiPS. 

So yes, while I think Drew is an upgrade over Tejada and would like to sign him, there IS a very good case against signing him. We'll see what happens from here -- perhaps Sandy saying Drew is unlikely is just a negotiation tactic -- but if they really don't sign Drew, it's because there is a very reasonable argument against it. 

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#63 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,068 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:38 AM

All one had to do was take a look at Drew's numbers the past few seasons and factor in the number of games missed due to injury to realize 2 years and $20 mil isn't really a great investment...at this point, I think Drew's main appeal here is that he's not Tejada or Quintanilla.  If the Mets are projected to win somewhere in the mid-70s, is it worth $10+ mil more per year to win in the upper 70s?  Don't think we needed projection sites or sabes to tell us that. 

I do think Sandy would still take a shot at him at one year/$9 mil or less, or maybe even 2/16 or thereabouts.  Sounds crazy, but a market for Drew at higher prices doesn't seem to be materializing.  And though Tejada thrills no one, if Ike and Doofus are going to get another shot, then I guess Tejada should get one too. 

Drew might have to suck it up, sign a cheap one-year deal, hope he has a big year and stays healthy, and try the market again. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 13 February 2014 - 11:39 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#64 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,137 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:46 AM

I wasn't trying to push sabermetrics down anyone's throat, I'm just used to talking in such language on another message board, on Twitter, and of course here. I think what I wrote is pretty easy to interpret regardless of whether you are big on sabermetrics or just a general fan.

2/20 is a fine investment for Drew for a team that isn't in the Mets' position. If we were an above-.500 team on paper, I'd be all for it. But given our spot on the win curve, the draft pick compensation, the questionable difference between Drew and Tejada.... not signing him is defensible. The terms are fine, the fit is what isn't.

For the record, I'm not saying I'd complain if they signed Drew to a deal like that (I still want him, even if that may be a bit irrational in light of my last post), just that it's defensible if they don't. 

Edited by nmigliore, 13 February 2014 - 12:29 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#65 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,137 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:35 PM

Early MLB over/unders are out: http://forums.viewfr...anchor=a2214112

Mets at 71.5. That actually looks like a good over bet to me. They are better than this. 

Edited by nmigliore, 13 February 2014 - 02:43 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#66 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,068 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:26 PM

I wasn't trying to push sabermetrics down anyone's throat, I'm just used to talking in such language on another message board, on Twitter, and of course here. I think what I wrote is pretty easy to interpret regardless of whether you are big on sabermetrics or just a general fan.

2/20 is a fine investment for Drew for a team that isn't in the Mets' position. If we were an above-.500 team on paper, I'd be all for it. But given our spot on the win curve, the draft pick compensation, the questionable difference between Drew and Tejada.... not signing him is defensible. The terms are fine, the fit is what isn't.

For the record, I'm not saying I'd complain if they signed Drew to a deal like that (I still want him, even if that may be a bit irrational in light of my last post), just that it's defensible if they don't. 

I know, just don't think this was one of those cases that needed to be delved into that deeply.  I do agree if the Mets were expected to contend, had money to spend, and really needed a decent SS, I probably wouldn't make a big deal out of 2/20 at all.  As we both know, only needing a decent SS applies from the previous statement.  It will be interesting to see how the whole Drew saga resolves itself...I wonder if he's starting to get a little nervous.

Early MLB over/unders are out: http://forums.viewfr...anchor=a2214112

Mets at 71.5. That actually looks like a good over bet to me. They are better than this. 

Couldn't agree more.  If Grandy morphs into Jason Bay, Colon gets old overnight, and Wheeler has a year similar to Isringhausen's second year as a Met (as a starter), or the rotation gets killed with injuries, then yeah, they could go under.  Just doesn't seem like they could possibly be THAT bad though.

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#67 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,789 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:25 PM

I know, just don't think this was one of those cases that needed to be delved into that deeply.  I do agree if the Mets were expected to contend, had money to spend, and really needed a decent SS, I probably wouldn't make a big deal out of 2/20 at all.  As we both know, only needing a decent SS applies from the previous statement.  It will be interesting to see how the whole Drew saga resolves itself...I wonder if he's starting to get a little nervous.

Couldn't agree more.  If Grandy morphs into Jason Bay, Colon gets old overnight, and Wheeler has a year similar to Isringhausen's second year as a Met (as a starter), or the rotation gets killed with injuries, then yeah, they could go under.  Just doesn't seem like they could possibly be THAT bad though.

But that's the ultimate worst case. I'm pessimistic...but even if those things happen they might be balanced out by a solid season out of Ike (25-30 hr) a breakout by d'Arnaud (80rbi) and Chris Young turning into Marlon Byrd two. And perhaps one of Valverde or Farnsworth becoming serviceable.

We can sign Drew with an eye to 2015...because looking at the market if they don't pick up Drew they'd better make bigtime pushes for Asdrubel Cabrera or JJ Hardy. And now we know the Yankees will be in the market for a shortstop next year too so it makes it tougher for us.

Maybe Colon will eventually be flipped for a SS...who knows.

Edited by '7', 13 February 2014 - 06:25 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#68 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,068 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:27 PM

I still believe the Mets can flirt with 80 wins this season.  The reason I brought up a worst-case-type scenario is because I was trying to find a way that the Mets can finish under.  If the team stays relatively healthy and guys perform to expected levels overall, no way they go 71-91 or worse. 

#30 FOREVER!

#69 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,068 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:05 AM

An article about the Drew situation:

http://www.sbnation....rtstop-homeless

Funny little blurb about Tejada, in terms of what category he fits into:

just give it time (6): Astros (Jonathan Villar), Brewers (Jean Segura), Diamondbacks (Didi Gregorius or Chris Owings), Mariners (Brad Miller), Pirates (Jordy Mercer), Red Sox (Xander Bogaerts).

Probably shouldn't give it time (2): Marlins (Adeiny Hechavarria), Mets (Ruben Tejada).

#30 FOREVER!

#70 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,137 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:23 AM

Drew actually makes sense for almost the entire AL East if he's willing to play another position. The Jays and O's have crap at 2B; the Yankees are counting on Brian Roberts (192 games over the last 4 years), Kelly Johnson (.715 OPS in 2013), and a 40 year old Derek Jeter to stay healthy and productive; the Sox could take him back and immediately improve their depth. 

Edited by nmigliore, 14 February 2014 - 08:25 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#71 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,137 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:52 AM

This is pretty dated news but I don't recall posting about it when it was announced, and just in case everybody happened to miss it: expanded replay/challenge system was approved for 2014. The basics:

Replay involving home runs was instituted in August 2008. The expanded replay includes almost all on-field decisions, outside of balls and strikes.

Managers will have at least one challenge to use. If any portion of a challenged play is overturned, then the manager who challenged the play can challenge one more play during the game. If a manager has used his challenges and the game is in the seventh inning, the umpiring crew chief can call for a replay.

The following plays are now reviewable:

•  Home run
  •  Ground rule double
  •  Fan interference
  •  Stadium boundary calls (e.g., fielder into stands, ball into stands triggering dead ball)
  •  Force play (except the fielder’s touching of second base on a double play)
  • Tag play (including steals and pickoffs)
  •  Fair/foul in outfield only
  •  Trap play in outfield only
  •  Batter hit by pitch
  •  Timing play (whether a runner scores before a third out)
  •  Touching a base (requires appeal)
  •  Passing runners
  •  Record keeping (Ball-strike count to a batter, outs, score, and substitutions)

http://www.baseballa...rantee-in-2014/

I'm very happy about expanded replay, it's long over-due. MLB is going to have a command center in NY to review plays, so hopefully that should expedite the process and cause less delays. The challenge system should be interesting, I definitely like the fact teams can have a say in what can be reviewed.

Edited by nmigliore, 14 February 2014 - 11:00 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#72 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,789 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:43 PM

Bonifacio ends up with the Cubs. Shame. Would've been a nice super sub signing for us.

Maybe it means they're more "in" on Drew than they let on

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#73 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,137 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:53 AM

We will celebrate the life of Ralph Kiner during the 2014 season w/this uniform patch. #OriginalMet pic.twitter.com/xcXc556cCH

We will have a ceremony on #OpeningDay14 for Ralph Kiner. The tribute will feat. a logo on the leftfield wall. http://atmlb.com/1cLU5m5 

Nice tribute to Ralph.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#74 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:03 PM

This is pretty dated news but I don't recall posting about it when it was announced, and just in case everybody happened to miss it: expanded replay/challenge system was approved for 2014. The basics:

http://www.baseballa...rantee-in-2014/

I'm very happy about expanded replay, it's long over-due. MLB is going to have a command center in NY to review plays, so hopefully that should expedite the process and cause less delays. The challenge system should be interesting, I definitely like the fact teams can have a say in what can be reviewed.

I'm very interested in the implementation, strategies, and new rules of the new replay system.  How will base runners be reset when plays are overturned?  If runners are advancing when a third out is called, will they be automatically returned?  Advanced?  Replay official's judgement?

Presumably if a trap call gets overturned into a catch, then all runners that advanced believing the play to be a base hit will be returned to their original bases.  What if one or two of the runners get put out on the play though?  That could change which team prefers the original result of the play vs. the outcome of overturning the trap call.  

The article makes it sound like umpires will only initiate reviews for the potential benefit of one team after the sixth inning only if that team has used up its challenges.  How does that make sense?  NFL coaches are able to communicate with with personnel who are watching replays away from the field to help them decide whether to challenge.  Will the MLB managers be guessing blind?  Something that I didn't see on the reviewable list: runner out of the base path.  That's a highly subjective call, so I don't have a big problem with it, but I have seen some plays in the past where thought that when the umps watch their film afterwards, they would wish that they had ruled differently.

Season Ticket Holder since Jan.2009
Section 226 Row 2 Seats 15-16

#75 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,137 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:45 AM

Sandy Alderson, the best!

One avenue that is closed that was open during the offseason is with Tampa Bay. There was a point at which the clubs were haggling for extra players to build around an Ike Davis-Matt Joyce swap. At once juncture, though, the Rays proposed simply doing a one-for-one deal, particularly because the players have such similar salaries (Joyce will make $3.7 million in 2014). But the Mets ultimately refused that request, and the Rays ended up re-signing James Loney to play first. Joyce will now serve as an outfielder/DH.

http://nypost.com/20...in-the-orioles/

This is just terrible. I long proposed such a one-for-one swap because it made so much sense for both sides. But nah, Sandy wanted more; of course he did. 

Edited by nmigliore, 19 February 2014 - 09:51 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#76 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,068 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:01 AM

Sandy Alderson, the best!

http://nypost.com/20...in-the-orioles/

This is just terrible. I long proposed such a one-for-one swap because it made so much sense for both sides. But nah, Sandy wanted more; of course he did. 

I can't get behind Doofus being handed the first-base job, and that's what would've happened if this deal was made. 

Beyond that, I can see the arguments for it and against it.  Joyce can get on base a bit, has some power...I'm guessing he's a pretty "meh" fielder though?

I'm as critical of Sandy as anyone is at times, but I can understand why he's often trying to get one more thing...he still doesn't have much in the farm re:  position players, and the financial situation with the Mets continues to be iffy, meaning he probably won't have much of an opportunity to go out and buy anything of significance (not without overpaying, anyway).  Is Joyce being here really going to make or break the Mets?     

#30 FOREVER!

#77 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,137 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:09 AM

This deal should've been a no-brainer. Joyce is simply a better overall player than Ike is, here is how they compare since 2012: http://www.fangraphs...ayers=3353,8433

The Mets have an excess of 1B. They have a big need for OF help, despite the Young (free agent after 2014) and Granderson signings. It's an easy, sensible match. Joyce isn't great, but why does he have to be? He's a decent player (which Ike probably isn't) under control for a couple more years at a cheap price. 

Will it make or break the team? Probably not in 2014, but yeah, it could hurt in 2015, when this team is scrambling to find outfielders (again!) while Ike is being non-tendered after a miserable year. But that's completely missing the point - it's ridiculous to evaluate the validity of making a move by whether or not it is "make or break" to the roster. That seems to be the attitude of this regime and it's a pretty good way to remain in a loop of mediocrity like we've been stuck in the past 5 years.

The state of the farm's position player group just enhances the reasons to make this trade, by the way. Joyce ADDRESSES the position player need by dealing away a player who, 1) factually, has been bad the last two seasons, and 2) factually, for his career, hasn't been any better as a hitter than the guy who would replace him (Duda).

This was an easy way to make a simple upgrade but nah, Sandy has no interest in that!

Edited by nmigliore, 19 February 2014 - 10:27 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#78 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,068 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:16 AM

I understand where you're coming from, but I think Joyce probably isn't going to get any better than what he already is.  I think Ike can get better (though I can be proven horribly wrong on that). 

Mets don't really have an excess of first baseman...Doofus blows and Satin has a lot of limitations, though he's an easy guy to root for.  Ike probably has the highest upside of all of them, but who knows if he actually finds it.  It's this year or never for Ike...if he gets off to another bad start, I'm done with him for good. 

#30 FOREVER!

#79 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,137 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:41 AM

I can see why people prefer Ike to Duda, I do. But like I've brought up before, let's not forget these numbers: 

Duda, career: .246/.342/.424, 115 wRC+

Ike, career: .242/.334/.434, 112 wRC+

There just isn't any evidence that suggests Ike is clearly the superior player. None. In fact, on top of owning slightly better career numbers, Duda has been the better hitter if you look at the two most recent seasons: 103 wRC+ for Ike, 110 for Duda. 

Moving Ike for a reliever? No thanks, and that's why I've been glad he was brought back (before this Joyce news, anyway). But if the Mets could've dealt him (or Duda for that matter) for someone of Joyce's caliber, again, it's a no-brainer to me, and Sandy deserves criticism for being his typical passive, arrogant self. 

Eric Young Jr. is looking like the starting LF, by the way, I'm sure you'll enjoy that. Here are the 2013 park/league-adjusted offensive numbers (using wRC+) followed by their career offensive numbers of the possible configurations with or without Ike/Joyce.

With Ike

1B, Ike: 90 wRC+, 112 wRC+

LF, Young Jr.: 78 wRC+, 77 wRC+

With Joyce

1B, Duda: 120 wRC+, 115 wRC+

LF, Joyce: 112 wRC+, 120 wRC+

It's not obvious which is the better one? I don't think Ike's "upside" is nearly enough to warrant starting Young Jr. in LF. 

Edited by nmigliore, 19 February 2014 - 10:55 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#80 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,068 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:17 AM

EY starting in left is absolutely ridiculous, that I'll give you 100%.  Looks like one good month continues to buy EY a lot more currency than he deserves with this team, and I don't get that at ALL.

Good news is all EY has to do is be the EY he was for most of last season, without that one big month propping up his numbers, and even Sandy should able to see that he's not the future in LF.  

As this is 2013, Part 2, I am willing to give Ike the chance to prove himself.  If the Mets were really trying to contend this season, I can see why you'd want the Joyce combo over the Ike combo, but I just really believe Duda is a disaster waiting to happen, even if his career wRC+ is better than Ike's to date.  And a team that considers itself a true contender wouldn't even have EY in the picture as an everyday player.  Like I've said, that can't possibly last for long.  I'm still at a loss as to how a GM looks at how awful EY's numbers were from 7/19 on and thinks he's not a serious part of the problem (especially for a guy who's supposed to get on base, which he didn't)...he hit .228 w/an OB% well under .300.  BB rate went down and his K rate went up in his time as a Met too.  The most compelling part of what you're bringing to the table here nmig is that the Joyce-Duda combo gets EY the hell of out here.  Hard to argue against that. 

#30 FOREVER!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users