1797 replies to this topic

#941 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,873 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 03:24 PM

Well now I'm glad I had to go to a family function earlier instead of even being tempted to go today :P

Howie sounded like he was on his last nerve during the radio part that I heard.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#942 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,325 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 03:36 PM

And so was Gary Cohen. Sounded unusually agitated. Both have just about had enough and it sounds like it happenex at the same time.. We can at least change the channel. They have to take it all in. No choice. This is a lot to endure for both since the Beltran K in 06. The fact that theyve gone this long without a tirade is impressive.

It was a very nice crowd today. Shame the Mets had to give that kind of performance

Edited by '7', 25 May 2014 - 03:36 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#943 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,936 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:58 PM

Unbelievable. 5th double play grounded into. Marshall comes in and can't find the plate against Abreu. Duda decides to swing at ball 1 and grounds into a DP

New, unheard of levels of ineptitude? Yep, the Mets will find them.

I forever dream of the day when the Mets realize that Lucas Duda flat-out sucks, end of story.  Numbers once again predictably sinking.  Chances = failures for him, always have, always will. 

What the hell, why not give Eric Campbell a shot, even if he's not the future at first?  I can't take Doofus being shoved down my throat anymore.  The guy is 8-for-his-last-46 (.174).  He's NEVER shown anything to lead us to believe he's ever going to become a consistent hitter.  When is this team going to start filtering out the stiffs?  They've won six fvcking games in their last 22.  What is it going to take?  fvck Sandy, fvck the Wilpons. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#944 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,873 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 06:43 PM

Guess Mejia's the next arm they try to throw out in the name of 'winning'.  After they said he wouldn't pitch back-to-back days he not only has but now he's pitching back-to-back games on the same day.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#945 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,325 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:05 PM

Yea, but today they were just desperate for a win to stop the bleeding (which they did) Mejia is most certainly not available for tomorrow.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#946 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,936 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:23 PM

Yea, but today they were just desperate for a win to stop the bleeding (which they did) Mejia is most certainly not available for tomorrow.

If Mejia is a candidate to close in the future, then the Mets have to find out sooner rather than later if he can appear in 60 games or so without issue.  Yeah, he should be unavailable for tomorrow.

Nice job by Montero to give his team a sixth inning with the high pitch count.  Also a nice job by Dice K.  He's maddening sometimes, but overall he's given the Mets more than they had any right to expect, considering he was nothing more than a warm body signing initially. 

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#947 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,873 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:35 PM

If Mejia is a candidate to close in the future, then the Mets have to find out sooner rather than later if he can appear in 60 games or so without issue.  Yeah, he should be unavailable for tomorrow.

Nice job by Montero to give his team a sixth inning with the high pitch count.  Also a nice job by Dice K.  He's maddening sometimes, but overall he's given the Mets more than they had any right to expect, considering he was nothing more than a warm body signing initially. 

It just sort of goes along with the pattern they've had with the younger pitchers with Wheeler and Montero going over 110 pitches recently.

#948 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,325 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:08 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing Campbell getting an extended look at 1B considering how Duda has fallen off the face of the earth. If they still have some faith in Lucas than hide him in left and hope Lagares flags down some balls going in his direction. Chris Young is an abomination. 7+ million on this .200 hitting scrub

I'm hoping he picks it up a little bit now so we can get a halfway decent return for him at the deadline.

Duda is 3 for his last 31 and is still batting 25 points higher than young. Which is all you need to know about Chris Young.

Edited by '7', 25 May 2014 - 10:11 PM.

#949 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,936 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 06:20 AM

It just sort of goes along with the pattern they've had with the younger pitchers with Wheeler and Montero going over 110 pitches recently.

One issue I see is the Met starters (in the minors) seem like they're usually held to 5 innings in a lot of starts.  Not sure what their pitch counts actually are, but I do worry a bit when suddenly they're throwing 110+ plus.  At the same time, you wonder if all this pitch count crap and constant handle-with-care treatment is really doing any good.  Some of the old-timers say you've got to throw and throw and throw to build up arm strength...of course, you've got the other end of the spectrum, the Dwight Gooden-types (and he might not be the best example, in that he was a drug abuser, though he in his memoir he did say he was clean from '87-'94 after going through rehab, so one can argue that drugs didn't really affect him in his prime).  Doc threw 195 minor-league innings in 1983, 218 at the major-league level in 1984, 276 in 1985, and 250 in 1986 (all of this before his 22nd birthday).  From 1987 on, he was never the same strikeout machine he had been earlier, and he also became much more hittable.  SI, in an article about BFS (batters faced per start), predicted that Doc would wear down more quickly than expected, and he basically did just that...the premise of the article was that young pitchers who faced too many batters per start and threw a lot of innings would pay for it later on.  

Like nmig always says...pitchers.  Feels like no matter how you handle them these days, you're screwed.

I wouldn't mind seeing Campbell getting an extended look at 1B considering how Duda has fallen off the face of the earth. If they still have some faith in Lucas than hide him in left and hope Lagares flags down some balls going in his direction. Chris Young is an abomination. 7+ million on this .200 hitting scrub

I'm hoping he picks it up a little bit now so we can get a halfway decent return for him at the deadline.

Duda is 3 for his last 31 and is still batting 25 points higher than young. Which is all you need to know about Chris Young.

I just wonder what they see in Doofus that makes them think he's worthy of all the chances they give him.  It's almost as bad as Gretchen Weiners trying to make "fetch" happen.  Power that can be described as random at best (does it ever feel like Duda is capable of hitting a home run when you really need one?)...I just don't get why the Mets can't move on.  It's time.

re:  CYoung, what's maddening about him is that, if Sandy wanted to go the "looks like a lost cause but may have some upside" route, he could've either found someone less expensive, or someone he didn't have to promise ABs to (I'd like to think that wasn't true).  What's also maddening is that the franchise can't keep talking about the importance of OB%, then keep bringing in guys who aren't decent-to-high average hitters, DON'T draw walks AND strike out a ton.  CYoung hit .231 with a .311 OB% in 2012 (his career numbers are .234 with a .314 OB%) and .200 with a .280 OB% last season.  This year, he's at .204 with a .289 OB%.  I'm guessing Sandy made this move hoping Young might regain his 2010 form, but that's how it always seems to be with the Mets...Omar often did the same thing after a while:  stack up on "Ifs" and keep hoping that it all somehow comes together.  Hey, that guy used to be pretty good four years ago, that guy was a decent closer a while back, when that other guy was actually healthy that one season he was solid...just tired of the house-of-cards Met mentality. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 26 May 2014 - 06:23 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#950 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,873 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 06:36 AM

One issue I see is the Met starters (in the minors) seem like they're usually held to 5 innings in a lot of starts.  Not sure what their pitch counts actually are, but I do worry a bit when suddenly they're throwing 110+ plus.  At the same time, you wonder if all this pitch count crap and constant handle-with-care treatment is really doing any good.  Some of the old-timers say you've got to throw and throw and throw to build up arm strength...of course, you've got the other end of the spectrum, the Dwight Gooden-types (and he might not be the best example, in that he was a drug abuser, though he in his memoir he did say he was clean from '87-'94 after going through rehab, so one can argue that drugs didn't really affect him in his prime).  Doc threw 195 minor-league innings in 1983, 218 at the major-league level in 1984, 276 in 1985, and 250 in 1986 (all of this before his 22nd birthday).  From 1987 on, he was never the same strikeout machine he had been earlier, and he also became much more hittable.  SI, in an article about BFS (batters faced per start), predicted that Doc would wear down more quickly than expected, and he basically did just that...the premise of the article was that young pitchers who faced too many batters per start and threw a lot of innings would pay for it later on.  

Like nmig always says...pitchers.  Feels like no matter how you handle them these days, you're screwed.

You're not wrong...I've probably been a little too peevish about pitch counts since the Santana no-hitter ended his career more or less.  Innings limits are another story, I do think every team goes ridiculously overboard trying to manage innings and it's more hilarious by the season the Nationals squandered their best opportunity to win by shutting down Strausberg for no reason.

#951 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,936 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 06:46 AM

Ike Davis comes back today...he's basically picked up where he left off last season after coming back from the minors, in that he is now terrific at getting to first, but seems to have lost a chunk of his power.

For the month of May:  .338 BA (23-for-68), .430 OB%, .456 SLG, 5 2B, 1 HR, 6 RBI, 11 BB, 12 K. 

As much as I would love to kill Sandy for trading the wrong guy (and in fairness, it's still too early to call this one), Ike didn't do himself any favors...it's hard for your team to have much faith in you when you basically do nothing for the first 8-10 weeks of back-to-back seasons (and the Mets were clearly in "not again" mode when it looked like that might happen a third time).  As much as I would've liked to have seen Ike get a full season here with his new approach (which seems to be permanent...his K-to-BB ratio is 59-to-59 since his recall, which is terrific in this day and age), I can't really blame Sandy and Co. for being skeptical.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 26 May 2014 - 06:49 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#952 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,325 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 02:25 PM

122 pitches for DeGrom? Should we schedule Tommy John for this week or next?

#953 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,325 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:21 PM

Valverde blows the game then gets released...so maybe a blessing in disguise. Dave Hudgens fired because he couldnt turn chicken sh!t into chicken soup.

#954 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,873 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:24 PM

Finally a 'little' accountability.

#955 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,325 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:27 PM

Yea...but random tantrums wont save 'em. They dont have the talent. I'll wait until Tejada is booted out the door until getting excited about accountability

#956 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,873 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:54 PM

Yeah that's why I emphasized a little lol.  I don't even know if Hudgens was a problem per se, but it's not like the offense could get any worse really and it's time where they have to try SOMEthing new.

Valverde should have been out on the same plane Farnsworth was.

#957 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,936 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:30 PM

Yeah that's why I emphasized a little lol.  I don't even know if Hudgens was a problem per se, but it's not like the offense could get any worse really and it's time where they have to try SOMEthing new.

Valverde should have been out on the same plane Farnsworth was.

Yeah, at least it's SOMETHING.  It's not enough of something, but it's a start.  Glad Valverde is gone, but I wouldn't expect much from Vic Black.  He's walked seven hitters in his last 5.1 IP with Vegas.  He's never really found consistency with his control so far this season. 

But until I see the REAL dead-end stiffs being moved (Tejada and Duda, for starters...yes, I know Duda hit a home run today, but he'll do that here and there), it's going to take more for me to think Sandy's actually showing a pulse.

#30 FOREVER!

#958 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,936 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:53 PM

Everyone here probably already knows this, but Syndergaard is heading to the DL with an elbow injury:

http://espn.go.com/n...dl-elbow-injury

Too early to panic, but will anyone be surprised if this turns out to be serious?

#30 FOREVER!

#959 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,873 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:40 PM

lol and yet another member (or former member) of the organization that is blaming the fans for the team not doing well at home:

http://espn.go.com/b...g-issue-at-home

“I really just think guys tried too hard at home," Hudgens told MLB.com after his firing. "I think the fans are really tough on the guys at home. How can you boo Curtis Granderson? They have no idea how hard this guy works and how he goes about doing his business, doing his job. He gets off to a slow start and they’re booing him? Come on. It’s tougher at home to play than it is on the road, there’s no doubt about it. And they’re trying really hard at home.

#960 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,325 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:43 PM

lol and yet another member (or former member) of the organization that is blaming the fans for the team not doing well at home:

http://espn.go.com/b...g-issue-at-home

Does Granderson realize what we've been through since 2006? It's the worst hell and franchise could imagine. Patience is short

Plus right field is a canyon. This doesn't help guys like Curtis and Duda. And has eliminated David's power to right

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)