1776 replies to this topic

#981 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,732 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:50 AM

Dana Eveland gets a call-up, due to everyone being gassed.  Montero sent down temporarily.

Vegas has now lost three in a row and 11 of 14.  They've used 10 starting pitchers so far (that was to be expected, as it was obvious that deGrom, Montero, and Syndergaard were all going to get call-ups at some point this season), and the number only figures to go up. 

Dilson Herrera and Brandon Nimmo are both having terrific years in A+ ball (St. Lucie). 

http://www.baseball-...www.typepad.com

http://www.baseball-...id=nimmo-000bra

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#982 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,732 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:01 PM

Hell of a job by Niese today.  8 innings when the Mets really needed a starter to go deep. 

Nice to see guys who have a habit of not getting it done actually getting it done for a change.  Wright last night, Doofus today.  Poor Mets are going to be spent in Chicago, if they're not already.  Too bad...they're within striking distance of .500.

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#983 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,732 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:14 AM

Where the hell is everybody?

Anyway, interesting arm in the minors right now...Jack Leathersich.  He's a lefty reliever who strikes out a ridiculous amount of hitters...in 165.2 minor-league innings, he's fanned 283 hitters; unfortunately, he's had control issues, and when he got a shot in AAA ball last season, he was beyond awful:  29.0 IP, 32 H, 29 BB...still had 47 K, but that number isn't quite as impressive when you're allowing so many baserunners (% of hitters struck out is lower under such circumstances).

His AA numbers (he's currently in Binghamton, and spent some time there last season) are good, except for the walks:  52 IP, 36 H, 11 ER, 29 BB, 97 K.  The guess here is that he's never going to be a great control guy, but he's an interesting name for sure.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 02 June 2014 - 09:15 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#984 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,695 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:21 PM

Lagares officially to the DL just when he'd finally been playing for a while :P
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#985 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,732 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:26 PM

Lagares officially to the DL just when he'd finally been playing for a while :P

Bummer.  Hope it's not going to be a long-term thing, because long-term injuries in the outfield = more EY and CY.  Not good.

#30 FOREVER!

#986 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,732 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:38 PM

Wow, great catch by den Dekker to take a HR away from Howard!  Nice.

Also nice AB by Bartolo Colon before.  Really made Hernandez work. 

Finally, David is finally starting to get some big hits.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 02 June 2014 - 07:43 PM.

#30 FOREVER!

#987 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,202 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 07:49 PM

Bartolo has handled the Phils well through 5. Fat man just keeps chugging along. I love it.

And speaking of pot bellied 40 year olds. It's really tough to pull Abreu out of the lineup. Guy just gives you terrific AB after terrific AB. One of our few hitters that really know what he's doing with 2 strikes. I sort of laughed about him coming up...but the guy is still a professional hitter and very tough out.

Wright with a ringing double to center. Missed a HR by a fingernail. He's really having a HR/XBH deprived season. Not much in the clutch department either except for the other night. But man is he singling the rest of the MLB to death. On pace for a career high 202 hits. And about 11 hr and 90+ rbi. Weird weird season for David. Walks are down too.

Shame about Lagares and the intercostal strain. He's really fun to watch. Doesn't seem to be a serious injury though. I think this is the 2nd (or maybe even 3rd) time this issue has crept up with him.

I'm really souring on d'Arnaud. I know we don't expect catchers to hit .280. But can this kid hit at least...I dunno .220 for us? He just adores watching room service fastballs. And when he swings at that 90 mph meatball down the middle...he misses it.

Granderson back under .200

Edited by '7', 02 June 2014 - 07:57 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#988 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,695 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:46 PM

Four out of five in Philly...can't really complain about the result even if the middle part of the series was some of the worst baseball known to man.

If the Mets are ever going to do anything this season they have to make a big push the next two weeks, before the schedule the latter half of the month kicks in (at Cardinals 3, at Marlins 4, A's home for two, at Pirates 4, at Braves 3).  Of course having most of those games on the road probably helps this mentally strange team...resilent enough to win games like the last couple days on the road and mentally weak enough to die in front of the Citi crowd :P

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#989 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,202 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:51 PM

Mets are 19-6 in their last 25 at citizens bank ballpark

Absolute ownage. Since when do the Mets go ANYWHERE on the road and beat up a team like that

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#990 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,695 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:09 PM

Mets are 19-6 in their last 25 at citizens bank ballpark

Absolute ownage. Since when do the Mets go ANYWHERE on the road and beat up a team like that

Of course we didn't win there late in 2007 when we REALLY needed to :rant:

Edited by NJDevs4978, 02 June 2014 - 11:14 PM.

#991 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,732 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:43 AM

Bartolo has handled the Phils well through 5. Fat man just keeps chugging along. I love it.

And speaking of pot bellied 40 year olds. It's really tough to pull Abreu out of the lineup. Guy just gives you terrific AB after terrific AB. One of our few hitters that really know what he's doing with 2 strikes. I sort of laughed about him coming up...but the guy is still a professional hitter and very tough out.

Wright with a ringing double to center. Missed a HR by a fingernail. He's really having a HR/XBH deprived season. Not much in the clutch department either except for the other night. But man is he singling the rest of the MLB to death. On pace for a career high 202 hits. And about 11 hr and 90+ rbi. Weird weird season for David. Walks are down too.

Shame about Lagares and the intercostal strain. He's really fun to watch. Doesn't seem to be a serious injury though. I think this is the 2nd (or maybe even 3rd) time this issue has crept up with him.

I'm really souring on d'Arnaud. I know we don't expect catchers to hit .280. But can this kid hit at least...I dunno .220 for us? He just adores watching room service fastballs. And when he swings at that 90 mph meatball down the middle...he misses it.

Granderson back under .200

The fat man has been pretty good or better in 8 out of his 11 starts.  I posted a breakdown after his last start, but he's basically allowed 22 of his 36 ER in three horrific starts.  That's only 14 ER allowed in the other 8 starts (2.24 ERA in those games).  That's very Arroyo-like...Arroyo tends to have his overall ERA blown up by a handful of awful starts.  I just hope Colon pitches well so the Mets can move him.  Maybe I should start to believe in Colon, but his age and body type are always going to scare me. 

Yeah, it continues to be a puzzling year for Wright.  The lack of clutch doesn't surprise me that much (he hasn't been a consistently clutch guy in years, or a guy you feel good about in a tough spot), but the lack of power and walks do.  His K-to-BB is nothing like what it's been throughout his career (1.66-to-1 for his career...this season it's 3.35-to-1).  His BA and RBI total continue to make his season look pretty good at a glance (and he's on pace for a Wright-like number of doubles), but some of his numbers are pretty far off from his career averages:

BA:  .296  career:  .301 

OB%:  .345  career:  .380

SLG:  .403  career:  .502

Hopefully he's due for some positive regression, and it's especially odd that he hasn't hit a home run on the road yet.  It's so weird...even in other ballparks, so many balls that the Mets hit that you would swear were going yard seem to have a way of dying just before the wall and becoming either doubles or long fly-ball outs. 

One myth that can finally be put to rest, hopefully for good:  that EY somehow brings something intangible to the Mets when he plays.  Mets lost 5 out of the last 6 games where EY had 4 or more ABs.  The Mets are now 8-3 in EY's last 11 DNPs. 

NJ4978, I think this team is what it is...a team that will probably be good enough to hover withing striking distance of .500, and occasionally even get a few games over, but like most .500 teams, they'll be a tease.  The recent winning is covering up for Grandy continuing to be awful (it's one thing to be hitting between .230-.240, but it seems like a major challenge for him to stay above .200...his .660 OB+SLG is well below his career .821 mark), and I get the feeling he's going to finish with the numbers he's currently on pace for.  Figure a .220ish BA (I think he'll improve slightly), .320ish OB%, about 20 HR and 70 RBI.  Mets are coughing up an awful lot of money for that.  They probably would've been better off just re-signing Byrd for a couple of years. 

'7', too early to kill d'Arnaud just yet, but yeah, right now it's a little hard to see what the all the hub-bub is about.  All he's done is show a nice ability to frame pitches.  If you're not hitting at all, you at least have to show tremendous behind-the-plate skills, and I'm not seeing them.  What's interesting is that, although he was involved in trades for 2 Cy Young Award winners, catching prospects who are supposed to hit are hard to come by...teams usually like to hang onto those guys.  The fact that he was dealt twice maybe says something.  Hopefully by 2015 he'll have made some progress, because right now it feels like he's at Ground Zero.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 03 June 2014 - 05:44 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#992 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,202 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:58 PM

Gary Cohen saying "fiddy cent" is so strange. I wish Bob Murphy was still around, would love to hear him say it.

#993 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,202 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:03 PM

bases loaded, nobody out. Arrieta begging to be knocked out of the game and the Mets do bubkus

#994 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,202 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:54 PM

yep that's the way it was going to be with the mets blowing tons of chances all night. A piece of garbage scrub ties it with a HR that barely clears the fence

#995 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,202 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:27 PM

an 0-2 pitch to met killer nate shierholtz and Rice absolutely hangs a curveball. Shierholtz who is a career .260 hitter is somehow like .340 against us. Hope the Mets are happy about again leaving a small country on the basepaths. Wright screws up the double play on the bobble in the 9th and it costs us. Keep trotting out that piece of excrement Chris Young why don't ya....

Edited by '7', 03 June 2014 - 10:28 PM.

#996 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,732 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:25 AM

One of those Met losses that have you wanting to put a fist through your TV, but there were definitely some nice positives:

Zack's last 3 starts:  19.2 IP, 12 H, 3 ER, 1 HR, 3 BB, 23 K.  He's walked only 5 in his last 25.2 IP.  That's great, but he also had a 5-start, 32.1-inning stretch last season (August 10-31) where he walked only 6 hitters and put up some terrific numbers otherwise.  I think we're probably going to get some more inconsistency at this stage, but it's always nice to see teases of what could be, if Zack can eventually get into an extended groove.

And it's a small sample, but so far so good for Vic Black up here.  Between the minors and the majors, he's given up 21 walks in 24.2 IP, but somehow he's managed to minimize the damage...he's allowed only 3 ER in those 24.2 IP.  Hard to think that isn't going to come back to hurt him eventually if he keeps that up.

I know I'm beating the dead horse, but re:  CY and Granderson, Sandy deserves to be killed for those signings on a daily basis...mostly because even mild research pointed to those signings being awful.  I'm not sure how much better either player could really be expected to perform, given their recent track records.  What's especially concerning about Granderson is that his slash line is now in its fourth straight season of decline (Sandy didn't seem to take anyone's recent history into account when signing players to contracts):

2011:  .262/.364/.552

2012:  .232/.319/.492  

2013:  .229/.317/.407

2014:  .212/.323/.354 

He's also struck out 495 times in the 433 games he played in those four seasons.  Prior to that, he had struck out 734 times in 810 GP, so suffice it to say that's another number that's not exactly trending in the right direction.

Like we've pointed out, there was evidence to spare that Granderson was fully capable of turning in a season like this.  And he's definitely Jason Bay Part Deux...no one is touching that contract, meaning we have to deal with this at least through 2016, unless his numbers crash into Ike Davis, circa first two months of 2012 and 2013 territory.  At least with CY, Mets only have to suffer through the end of this season at the worst.     

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 04 June 2014 - 06:26 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#997 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,732 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:21 AM

Montero made a minor-league start last night...unfortunately his control problems continue (4 BB in 5 IP).

In his last 29.2 IP Vegas innings, he's now walked 19 hitters.  Add in his 20 IP and 11 BB at the major-league level, and that's now 30 BB in his last 49.2 IP.  It's alarming in that walking hitters has NEVER been an issue for him in his professional career...in 88.2 Vegas innings last season, he only walked 25 hitters, and in 365.2 minor-league innings through 4/13 of this season, he walked just 70 hitters overall (just 1.72 per 9 IP).  So suffice it to say that, even though it's not a huge sample, this is worrisome. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 04 June 2014 - 09:24 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#998 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,695 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:24 PM

lol guess the Mets are playing another of their four-hour extravaganzas :P

#999 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,202 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:26 PM

Mets are off the hook tonight. Heh, I'm just giddy the Rags blew a 2-0 lead and lost in OT.

#1000 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,695 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:30 PM

Because of said game I might be in a benevolent enough mood to actually watch the last inning or so :P  

I've seriously never seen a NATIONAL LEAGUE team play so many four-hour games though.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users