1777 replies to this topic

#1041 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,770 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:28 PM

Bottom of the 9th, Wright of course does nothing.  Captain Clutch.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1042 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:42 PM

He's just so lost right now

And then the Mets actually do manage to get 1st and 2nd. Tejada meekly grounds out on the first pitch

The Mets should be named Team Ambien.

I don't think Lutz had any value either, but some people will say "But they could've gotten SOMETHING for him".  Sure they could've.  They could've gotten an equally unlikely-to-help piece at best, body-for-body.  Like I said, Lutz is an AAAA player (now helped greatly by the PCL) who occasionally gets call-ups and quickly shows why he's a AAAA player.

And yeah, I've always felt the long-term solution at first base isn't currently wearing a Met uniform or playing at Vegas.  Duda is exactly what I said he is...as long as there's bad teams in the league or teams in transition who need a first-base placeholder for a year or two, Duda will find employment in the majors.  He may even have an eye-friendly year or two that opens people's eyes (think .265 avg, .350 OB%, 30 HR, close to 100 RBI) if he stays healthy and gets a lot of playing time.  But the Mets can't upgrade over him fast enough.

I don't know what he'd bring back.  He's not really all that useful to a playoff team, because I think good pitchers have no trouble getting him out in big spots...I could see him doing next to nothing in the playoffs.  Yeah, if the Mets got back an unpolished arm with upside (like a lesser Vic Black) and some low A-ball middling prospect, I'd take it.  Duda may not be a very good major-leaguer, but he's shown he can play in the majors.      

I don't think Lutz had any value either, but some people will say "But they could've gotten SOMETHING for him".  Sure they could've.  They could've gotten an equally unlikely-to-help piece at best, body-for-body.  Like I said, Lutz is an AAAA player (now helped greatly by the PCL) who occasionally gets call-ups and quickly shows why he's a AAAA player.

And yeah, I've always felt the long-term solution at first base isn't currently wearing a Met uniform or playing at Vegas.  Duda is exactly what I said he is...as long as there's bad teams in the league or teams in transition who need a first-base placeholder for a year or two, Duda will find employment in the majors.  He may even have an eye-friendly year or two that opens people's eyes (think .265 avg, .350 OB%, 30 HR, close to 100 RBI) if he stays healthy and gets a lot of playing time.  But the Mets can't upgrade over him fast enough.

I don't know what he'd bring back.  He's not really all that useful to a playoff team, because I think good pitchers have no trouble getting him out in big spots...I could see him doing next to nothing in the playoffs.  Yeah, if the Mets got back an unpolished arm with upside (like a lesser Vic Black) and some low A-ball middling prospect, I'd take it.  Duda may not be a very good major-leaguer, but he's shown he can play in the majors.      

We really missed the boat with Jose Abreu. Could've solve 1B for us for a very long time. Ike/Duda would be a distant memory at this point.

Duda in the AL as a DH and sometimes 1b...in a park with a reasonable rightfield porch. He could thrive in that environment. Lucas Duda on the orioles for instance (not that they need him) he could thrive there and put up 25 HR.

Edited by '7', 12 June 2014 - 08:45 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#1043 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:58 PM

1st and 2nd, 2out in the 10th...another chance to end it. Eric Campbell taps out to 3rd. And the 0-fer with men on base continues

Why the hell are we starting garbage like Eric Campbell. Look at how paper thing the talent is on this team. This is a bottom 5 roster. Just anemic. Pathetic. Unwatchable. They're not just unclutch they are so bereft of talent that they need to start offering minor league prices because right now the only major league hitter on this team is Dan Murphy and occasionally Abreu.

Just win it already Brewers. Put Wilpons bargain basement garbage out of its misery.

Looks to be about 5k in the stadium as well. Should be 0

I mean just look at this. Flores, Recker, Tejada, Campbell, Brown, Chris Young

How can the Mets not hit with RISP?

BECAUSE THERE IS sh!t UP AND DOWN THE LINEUP

If I was Wright I'd ask for a trade. Most of his career has been flushed down the toilet already

Edited by '7', 12 June 2014 - 09:04 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#1044 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,731 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:12 PM

Mejia wrenches his back and now it's a rain delay in the 11th inning, only the Mets...lol

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#1045 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:15 PM

Mejia wrenches his back and now it's a rain delay in the 11th inning, only the Mets...lol

Least it's not an arm (so we think)

Lagares goes out of the lineup and this team flatlines

#1046 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:29 PM

So the Mets load the bases in the bottom of the 11th with one out and don't score? YA DON'T SAY

top prospect Wilmer Flores gets a meatball down the middle from a gassed reliever and what happens. Little dribbler to 2nd. Flores is probably going to end up another bust. Just no clue what to do with room service fastballs

Unbelievable how many 90mph meatballs them miss.

And now Recker gets rung up on back to back low and inside pitches. Like he would've gotten a hit anyway...

Edited by '7', 12 June 2014 - 09:30 PM.

#1047 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,731 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:53 PM

If it wasn't for the rain forecasts I probably would have gotten a ticket for tonight lol...I wonder how many people are actually still there?  Probably Evan Roberts and 50 other people.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 12 June 2014 - 09:53 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#1048 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:01 PM

Money well saved.

#1049 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,731 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:15 PM

I don't leave games early but if I had gone I probably would be walking out as we speak.  I still am trying to talk myself (why?) into going tomorrow, especially now that I know it'll probably be my only game this year but it's another rainy forecast then.

#1050 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,731 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:18 PM

lol we feel ya buddy, this is what it feels like to watch these games:

sfcrqhiyszeva9zlj6kf.gif

#1051 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:09 PM

haha, that's great.

ah man this poor pitching staff. Done all it can. But betrayed by the Wilpons unwillingness or inability to spend on major league bats

I would seriously demote Flores for not getting that run in.

#1052 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,770 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:56 AM

Glad the Mets fans are staying away in droves.  This is what you do when ownership and the front office repeatedly give you the finger...you give it right back to them the only way we can...by not paying to watch that dreck.  fvck Passive and fvck the Wilpons.   

Flores might be young, but if he's any good, I have yet to see it.

If Niese keeps this up, he really could have some serious deadline value...not saying I absolutely want to see him dealt, but his value may never be higher that will be on July 31, and he's been fragile in the past.  He's on pace to go over 200 IP for the first time in his career.  I don't blame him for being pissed yesterday (he's probably thinking "Look at this stammering amateur clown coming to get me"), but I have to be fair to TC...I'd rather see him err on the side of caution with his starting pitchers, and he's starting to do that.   

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1053 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,770 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:14 AM

This gem from David (courtesy of ESPN):

Worse yet, Wright's answers Thursday suggested he's getting frustrated by Citi Field's dimensions.

"I have to do a better job, especially when I'm here, of getting on top of the ball and hitting line drives," he said.

Fine Dave...so what's your excuse for why your road numbers are worse (.771 OB+SLG home, .622 OB+SLG road)? 

Spoken like a true non-superstar.  Either trade him or find a couple of bats that will relegate Wright to where he belongs...pure complementary status. 

#30 FOREVER!

#1054 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,770 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:47 AM

Colon with another terrific start.  Don't know how he does it, but he does.  Take out the three trainwreck starts and his ERA is in the 2.20s in his other 10 starts.  I'm really curious what the available starting pitching market is going to look like come July 31...if Gee ever comes back and pitches lights-out, the Mets could have as many as three starters that may appeal to contenders:  Niese, Colon, and Gee.  I can't see anyone wanting Wheeler for a stretch run at this point in his career (too much of a wild card, literally), and with the Mets headed toward irrelevance yet again, there's no reason not to see if he can figure himself out here.  Depending on how long he stays in rotation, even Dice K might draw mild interest as someone's Plan C depth move, but he's not bringing back anything that would matter.

Of course, it will help a LOT if Montero (who I'm definitely worried about at this point) or Syndergaard looks like he's ready to pitch in the majors by then.  And you're also banking on Harvey being Harvey again in 2015, deGrom continuing to be competitive at this level, and Wheeler improving and finding some consistency.  Trading Niese, Colon, or Gee will be risky, and Sandy has to get back someone who can help either immediately or very soon.  No moving any of them for bodies that might help in 2016 or 2017.   

#30 FOREVER!

#1055 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,770 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:50 PM

Wheeler with one of his maddening outings, offense doing zilch.  Praying for the day the Wilponzis hire a real GM with in turn will hire a real manager and sign real players...if the Wilpons have any real money to do any of this.

#30 FOREVER!

#1056 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,731 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:59 PM

Glad the Mets fans are staying away in droves.  This is what you do when ownership and the front office repeatedly give you the finger...you give it right back to them the only way we can...by not paying to watch that dreck.  fvck Passive and fvck the Wilpons.   

lol I only buy off StubHub when I do go anyway.  Though I used to get programs at the games I don't anymore, at least not these days.  Maybe the ShakeShack lines are less ridiculous now.  It is annoying to waste the time cause it's an all-day venture though.  I might have gotten a ticket for last night if not for the weather, but I don't really see myself going at this point cause when you have a two-day weekend spending almost half of it going to and from Citi is a time investment that this team really doesn't deserve atm.

And Sandy and I guess management/players had a sth function today, and when someone asked him about whether payroll was going to increase Sandy admitted he won't know until the end of the season :P (via Rubin tweets)

Edited by NJDevs4978, 14 June 2014 - 06:00 PM.

#1057 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,770 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:33 PM

Sucks to have bad owners.  Not like they're the only bad ones in baseball, but still...

#30 FOREVER!

#1058 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,860 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:05 PM

It really is sad what's happened to them. That's what happens when you have owners who don't prioritize winning. I'm not saying they should spend like the Yankees because they obviously can't. But what would have been the harm in signing Cruz over a stiff like Young? And they didn't have a backup plan if D'arnaud failed. The pen was set up to fail. At least they got rid of the dead weight.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#1059 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,731 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:36 PM

Montero made his second Vegas start since being sent down...numbers don't look as bad as they could due to only 1 run being earned, but his two starts since being going back down aren't exactly screaming "recall":

8.1 IP, 13 H, 9 R, 4 ER, 6 BB, 8 K 

I get the feeling we're not going to be seeing him back here for a while, and that's OK.  I'd rather he get himself straightened out (something is clearly not right with him) than be rushed.  He's still only 23.   

Well maybe we got the answer now that he left tonight's start after five pitches.

The hits just keep on coming...

#1060 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,770 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:42 AM

Supposedly it's a left-side injury, possible an oblique. 

http://espn.go.com/b...ed-departs-game

D21, as much as I can't stand the Wilpons, I blame Sandy more for this than anyone else.  The money he did have to spend, he couldn't have possibly spent any worse (though Colon is working out so far, but starting pitching wasn't really a major need for the Mets).  If he signed guys who were "sure" things, but then they faltered, I'd give him a pass...sometimes great "on paper" moves just backfire, but you can at least understand the thought process behind those moves.  But both Granderson and CY were incredibly questionable moves the second those contracts were inked.  A lot of people aren't surprised by how poorly both have played.  Granderson's numbers have actually been pretty good since April 29 (.281 BA, .393 OB%, 7 HR), but he's still not a guy you have much confidence in in big spots.  

Something has to be done about CY.  It's enough.  The guy sucks.  He's a .199 hitter since the start of 2013...that represents 156 games and 498 AB.  This year isn't isolated suckage.  Sometimes you admit you simply made a very bad mistake, and take care of that mistake.  The ONLY reason you keep a guy like CY around is because you're too cheap to do what's right.  He is not going to be here next season (he'd better not be), so there's no reason for him to be turning in useless AB after useless AB.  I can understand the Mets hanging onto him until Lagares is healthy enough to play, but at that point, get him out of here. 

#30 FOREVER!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users