Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,770 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:14 AM

Poor Jeremy Hefner...some guys truly cannot catch a break:

http://mlb.mlb.com/n...ent_id=89104456

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1582 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:40 PM

ugh. Horrible. I'll be rooting for him to get back to the majors some day...doesn't seem likely though.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#1583 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,770 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 03:13 PM

It's amazing how badly things have gone for him...from April 15-July 12 (15 starts) the guy comes out of nowhere to put up a 2.59 ERA in 94 IP, then gives up 23 ER over his next 5 starts (22.2 IP), then needs Tommy John surgery, starts to make his way back, then suffers another serious injury.  I really feel for him. 

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1584 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:15 PM

Very unimpressive outing by Montero tonight. Terrible command.

Carlos Torres unfortunately looks like a victim of Collins Burnout. Just pitch 'em until they drop...

Edited by '7', 12 August 2014 - 08:22 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#1585 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,770 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:19 AM

Montero was rough to watch...it's one game so I don't want to go too crazy, but if he's supposed to have made any progress, I sure didn't see it. 

Collins has to go if the Mets are serious about contending in 2015.  Any team that has its sights set on the playoffs doesn't have Terry Collins as the manager.  End of story.

Pretty good start by Syndergaard last night, in a more normal-air environment (@Iowa:  6.1 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 8 K, 1 HBP).  He's allowed 6 ER over 5 starts (28.2 IP), but there's rumors going around that the Mets would rather have him pitch in the AAA playoffs than in the majors.  As much as I really want to see him pitch up here, just for him to get his feet wet, will he really gain that much from it?  I'm at the point where I could go either way...if he comes up, great, I'll be thrilled, but if he doesn't, I'll be mildly disappointed.  I think it's safe to say that if he doesn't get dealt in the offseason, he'll get every chance to make the team out of spring next season, unless he really looks like he's not ready.  As much as I despise the PCL, and as much as he probably wants to get out of there (never to return), Syndergaard doesn't seem to be letting it affect his game...he probably knows on some level that luck has definitely worked against him in his time there.     

#30 FOREVER!

#1586 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,731 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:50 PM

Jon Heyman reports Terry Collins "likely" to return in 2015, barring collapse. I expect that to be true, but no one has said it to me.

lol status quo in Flushing.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#1587 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:11 PM

Bases loaded 1 out, bottom of the 7th. Critical time...Flores and Nieuwy both come up short

The nationals just flat out own us. Worse than the Braves when they owned us.

#1588 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:47 PM

David Wright with the most inconsequential, ghostly 12 game hitting streak ever

He has at least 1 hit in his last 12 games.

In that stretch...4rbi. Only 2 walks. 8k's. 0 home runs

1 extra base hit. A double.

#1589 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,770 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:21 AM

The 9th inning was kind of fun, but you just know there was no way in hell the Mets were going to pull it off. 

Not only has Wright really sucked for much of the year, he's gotten off very light.  There's no shortage of Wright apologists and fanboys who want to blame everyone else except Wright for what's been a very lackluster 2014.  He's been awful.  And yeah, his 12-game hitting streak is a joke...like I've said, it's a Ruben Tejada-esque kind of hitting streak.  Great, Wright's hitting as light of a .320 over the 12 games as is possible.  He's slugging .340 with a .346 OB%.  A .686 OB+SLG.  Awesome.

Of course TC will be coming back...finding a new manager would require Sandy to actually get off his passive lazy ass and do something. 

Colon now has pitched 7+ IP and allowed 2 ER or less in 4 out of his last five starts.  The other start was a dud (4.2 IP, 6 ER), but as far as giving other teams reasons to acquire him before the 8/31 deadline, he's probably done as much as could've been expected.  Sadly it's starting to feel like the market just isn't going to materialize for him no matter what he does.  Hope I'm wrong. 

Dilson Herrera went 2-for-6 last night in a double-header, with three walks.  He's currently slashing .337/.408/.472 in AA.  He's also stolen 8 bases and driven in 39 runs in just 46 games (184 AB), and has been remarkably consistent since his promotion...no real slumps to speak of.

Nimmo has been picking it up...he's 7 for his last 15 and is hitting .333 over his last 10 games, with 6 BB and 7 RBI.  Though he's only hitting .242 overall in AA, his OB% is a healthy .365, and of his 40 AA hits, 16 of them have gone for extra bases (8 2B, 3 3B, 5 HR).  His .784 AA OB+SLG isn't bad for a .242 average.  It's coming together for him nicely down there, and he's still only 21.  Could be up with the Mets sometime in 2016 if he's still here.   

Re:  Flores, in 7 games since becoming an everyday player, he's 8-for-29 (.275)...of course, that's also his OB% and SLG% over that time, as he hasn't drawn any walks or had any extra base hits in those seven games.  He's kind of in the same boat that Wright is with his 12-game hitting streak...you hope that the batting averages form some kind of a base for something better...but no matter what happens in Flores' case, I've turned the page for good on Ruben Tejada.  At least Flores is hitting just enough that TC can't have a knee-jerk reaction and go back to Tejada.  Flores is very likely not the answer at SS and never will be, but the Mets already have a mountain of evidence that clearly shows that Tejada is most definitely not the answer.  Glad to see that the Mets are actually following through on a plan for once.      

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 14 August 2014 - 06:37 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#1590 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:04 PM

Man they just love getting kicked around by the Nats. Dominated, dominated at home without a shred of life or fight in them.

Dillon Gee doesn't have the velocity or the secondary stuff to get away with all the meatballs he leaves out over the heart of the plate. He doesn't stink but we should definitely trade him this offseason

Wright just continues the most inconsequential, XBH-less, HR-less hitting streak in baseball history.

Mets haven't learned yet with Adam Laroche it's better to put 4 fingers down or 95mph between his eyes than pitch to him. Sometimes you just can't let certain guys beat you.

#1591 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,770 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:17 PM

I'm pretty close to being done with Wright too.  He's been a loser for years now.  Never seems to get it done when you really need him to.  They could trade him tomorrow and I'd be fine with it.

The one bonus out of the Mets seemingly having no fight is that Amateur Terry no longer has the "well at least they play hard for him" defense.  Hopefully the Mets kick this dumb zilch to the curb before 2015.  At least that's one less loser wearing a Met uniform. 

#30 FOREVER!

#1592 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,770 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:36 AM

Dillon Gee doesn't have the velocity or the secondary stuff to get away with all the meatballs he leaves out over the heart of the plate. He doesn't stink but we should definitely trade him this offseason

The two factors under a pitcher's "control" (according to sabermetricians, anyway) are BB and HR.  Those numbers have not been good for Gee as of late:

Last four starts:  25.1 IP, 17 H, 12 ER, 5 HR (8 HR allowed in his 6 starts overall), 13 BB, 15 K.  The amount of walks and home runs he's been allowing is worrisome, and the K-to-BB ratio is flat-out bad.     

I think if Niese and Gee continue on the meh path they've been on lately (and even if one or both suddenly gets hot, would any GM be fooled by 5-6 good starts to close out 2014?), I think you can pretty much forget getting anything of significance for either one...you'll get something decent at best, or a less-than-ideal contract.  We all know what arms the GMs are going to ask for first. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 15 August 2014 - 06:36 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#1593 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,770 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:35 PM

Amazing how Zack has looked so ugly at times lately, but finds a way to get through.  Another 6+ innings of solid results...that's nine straight games of that.  Just sucks that he's almost always at 100+ pitches in the 6th inning, but that's old news...for now that's who he is.

#30 FOREVER!

#1594 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:55 PM

He walked the Wheeler tightrope and got through it all night. But through a ton of pitches through 6 and Terry pushed him well into the 7th...and he threw 120 tough pitches.

This is after 112 in 6in last start in Philly, and 109 August 1st in Washington. And 110+ in 4 of the past 6 starts. You know we all thought Harvey was healthy as a horse, nice easy delivery. But Terry pushed him too hard last year and boom. He's doing the same with Wheeler now.

Collins was quoted as telling Harvey to "back off" with his heavy rehab workload. Well maybe somebody should tell Terry to back off of Wheeler NOW.

#1595 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,731 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:59 PM

He walked the Wheeler tightrope and got through it all night. But through a ton of pitches through 6 and Terry pushed him well into the 7th...and he threw 120 tough pitches.

This is after 112 in 6in last start in Philly, and 109 August 1st in Washington. And 110+ in 4 of the past 6 starts. You know we all thought Harvey was healthy as a horse, nice easy delivery. But Terry pushed him too hard last year and boom. He's doing the same with Wheeler now.

Collins was quoted as telling Harvey to "back off" with his heavy rehab workload. Well maybe somebody should tell Terry to back off of Wheeler NOW.

Wheeler's hardly the only one Collins is overextending.  Mejia's pitching through a million different ailments.  Josh Edgin nearly blew out his arm when Collins used him like he was Wilbur Wood a couple years back.  If you're going to have a young pitching staff you can't have a manager that acts like every game has playoff importance because he's on the hot seat and run these kids into the ground.

Incidentally that was part of the problem with IPP, when you had Dallas Green who just didn't give a s*it period and blew their arms out.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#1596 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,770 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:14 PM

I keep hoping the Mets will see the light with Amateur Terry, but they're always the last to know. 

#30 FOREVER!

#1597 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:17 PM

Mejia needs to thank Lagares for saving a leadoff triple off the bat of Sweeney...

Anyway, good of them to get a win. A 1 run win no less!

Edited by '7', 15 August 2014 - 09:17 PM.

#1598 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,770 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:21 PM

It's funny 7, I want the Mets to win too, but if they win, Sandy doesn't go out and try to get a real manager.

#30 FOREVER!

#1599 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:23 AM

Thoughts and prayers with Bartolo who will not be pitching this afternoon as his mother is gravely ill apparently. Torres to make the start. Hopefully they can get a win this afternoon before heading out west and being made a grease stain by the Dodgers and A's (a 2-4 road trip would be a miracle)

#1600 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:50 PM

Another poorly managed game by Terry. Stayed with freakin Buddy Carlyle too long...and now Mejia again

enough with this guy. He pushes his luck far too often with pitchers. Waits until they implode to change them. Runs up massive pitch counts with our young guys.

He's just lost...out of it.

Edited by '7', 18 August 2014 - 01:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users