1750 replies to this topic

#1641 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,114 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:57 PM

I can't wait until Gee is gone for good. Throws too many BP fastballs with no movement. His velocity is ok, not great. Just too much fat stuff that hangs over the middle of the plate. He's effective for exactly 2 innings and the rest of the time it's "pray all the hard hit balls find gloves

and just now he was bailed out by Lagares to end the 6th. Hopefully he's done for the day because the Phillies pounded him that inning.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#1642 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,114 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:27 PM

Lagares made a spectacular play in the middle innings to bail out Gee. David Wright had an...RBI!?!?!? And great late game defense by Herrera and Flores on a deep in the hole DP by Howard saves the Mets butts. A win is a win and it's always good to beat the Phillies.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#1643 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,423 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 04:21 PM

Not for nothing but it's kind of ridiculous the Mets are playing a day home game on Labor Day weekend when the US Open is still in the first week. Trying to get out of the monsoon with double the traffic was a nightmare (I was actually AT the Open, not a Met game lol).

Edited by NJDevs4978, 31 August 2014 - 04:56 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#1644 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,114 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 05:44 PM

Not for nothing but it's kind of ridiculous the Mets are playing a day home game on Labor Day weekend when the US Open is still in the first week. Trying to get out of the monsoon with double the traffic was a nightmare (I was actually AT the Open, not a Met game lol).

Yea that is perplexing...Mets at this point are clearly 2nd fiddle to the open and the traffic situation it can create is nightmarish.

It also bugs me whenever Mets/Jets games during September overlap in any way, granted it only happens 4 times and the Mets have been out of it in Sept since 2008...but if the Jets are playing at 1 next week there is no way the Mets should be on until 4:15

#1645 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,506 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:42 AM

Another solid (though short) start for Logan Verrett.  5 HP, 2 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 5 K.  He's only allowed 16 BB and 45 H in his last 63 IP. 

Sandy of course couldn't find a taker for Colon (wonder if he even bothered to try), so now the Mets are stuck with his $11 million on next year's (sure to be limited) payroll.  Also means that unless Gee or Niese are taken out of the rotation (neither is pitching great, but neither has been awful enough to be yanked either), that there's no room for guys like Verett, Syndergaard or Montero to get looks.  Maybe deGrom gets shut down.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1646 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,506 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:40 PM

Zack running up the pitch count and getting hit hard by the Marlins.  Guess the Marlins were due...Zack has owned them so far.

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1647 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,506 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:49 PM

Wow, nice shot by Herrera!  I wonder if Wright remembers what hitting a dinger feels like.

Actual RBIs by Wright.  Bizarro world baseball. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 01 September 2014 - 12:57 PM.

#30 FOREVER!

#1648 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,114 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:07 PM

What is encouraging about those RBI's by Wright is that it was an actual hard hit ball, not some ducksnort over 2nd. He is hitting the ball with some authority...maybe that HR is coming.

#1649 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,114 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:13 PM

Wheeler not as his best today. Laboring with a high pitch count and lots of foul balls.

#1650 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,506 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:22 PM

Zack is always laboring, really. 

Zack has his share of Al Leiter moments.  He's improved on some fronts for sure (he's inducing more swings and misses than last season), but the Met announcers have been rightly getting on him for only being a 6-7 inning pitcher.  The pitch counts seem like they're always going to be an Achilles heel for him...always at 100 pitches by the 6th inning. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 01 September 2014 - 01:22 PM.

#30 FOREVER!

#1651 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,114 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:23 PM

and bad defense doesn't help his cause either, as Dilson Herrera with an atrocious error to load the bases for a dangerous hitter

#1652 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,506 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:30 PM

Zack has never been an efficient pitcher though.  On that front, he still needs to improve.

#30 FOREVER!

#1653 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,506 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:08 PM

TC leaves Zack in hoping he'll get through five and be in position to win, and it backfires.  I won't kill him...two errors are hard to overcome, especially when Zack is clearly laboring even more than usual.  He just couldn't get that last out.

#30 FOREVER!

#1654 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,506 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:27 PM

DILSON HERRERA BITCHES!  lol

Seriously though, nice to see a kid get some hits right off the bat, and not go 0-for-12 or something like that.

3rd error for him already though.  Wonder if it's just nerves.  I don't recall ever hearing about him having any defensive issues.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 01 September 2014 - 02:43 PM.

#30 FOREVER!

#1655 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,506 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:24 PM

Wow, the Mets finally make a defensive play! 

I know this isn't his fault specifically, but for the love of God fire Terry already.  He's a loser.

And Wright strikes out to end the game.  Along with Grander-Bay.  Of course they do. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 01 September 2014 - 03:44 PM.

#30 FOREVER!

#1656 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:38 PM

Nice to see Herrera homer -- yeah his defense has looked shaky but that's never been much of a concern so probably just nerves. Sorry that I haven't been active at all here lately -- just started a new job a few weeks and my downtime has dwindled incredibly, plus the 2014 Mets being what they are and football season starting has shifted my sports gears, so it's difficult to muster up any energy to write about them at this point. :P

I'm still looking forward to this offseason and 2015 but the Granderson investment already (predictably?) looks bad, and my goodness, I really hope for the sake of us fans that Wright's shoulder is killing him. 

The TdA = outfielder thing would be awful. I understand player health comes first but that's a disaster waiting to happen, worse than Duda's ventures out there. TdA's value will come from him being a catcher who should hit decently for A CATCHER; shift him to the outfield, where the offensive bar is incredibly higher, and a CATCHER trying to catch flyballs, and it would 100% be a mess.

Edited by nmigliore, 01 September 2014 - 07:44 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1657 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,506 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:07 PM

Good to see you back nmig.  Congrats on the job...hope it's something you enjoy.

Re:  d'Arnaud in the outfield...if the Mets are toying with the idea at all, then I stick with my initial view...send him to winter ball, get him as much time as possible out there.  You could be 100% right, it could very well be a disaster, which is why I don't want the Mets toying around with this idea for any longer than they have to.  Unfortunately, I think payroll constraints are the impetus for this idea more than anything else.  It also doesn't help that d'Arnaud's defense has not been good so far, and that the Mets have another young catcher in their system (who isn't supposed to be terribly good defensively himself). 

I'm ready to move on from Wright, but I was ready to do that before he was re-signed.  It's kind of a moot point now, because with the year he's had, the Mets are going to get an iffy high-priced contract back.

Don't know if you've been reading the thread as of late nmig, but I think the problem in 2015 is that the Mets have a lot of money tied up in Wright, Colon, and Grander-Bay,,,potentially half their payroll, really.  Murph and Duda are going to get raises.  They need to find a SS, but I'm guessing they might just give Reynolds a shot.  If they believe in Herrera if he has a good September (for what good Septembers are worth), maybe they trade Murph so they don't have to pay him.  But more and more, I think the holes are going to be filled from within, even if it means a square peg like d'Arnaud being forced into a round hole. 

#30 FOREVER!

#1658 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,506 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:49 AM

I swear the Wilpons come off as such horribly clueless morons...and just horrible period:

http://www.newsday.c...r-now-1.9200897

With home attendance sagging, the Mets dismissed Leigh Castergine, senior vice president of ticket sales and services.

Yep, that's the problem, it's all Leigh Castergine's fault that Met fans aren't coming out to watch the dreck being served up to them for the sixth straight season. 

I'm sorry, but there's no sugar-coating it anymore...Jeffy and Freddy Wilpon are real pieces of sh!t.  Sometimes I really don't know why I still root for this franchise.  fvcking amateurs to the very end.   

#30 FOREVER!

#1659 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,506 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:10 PM

I guess David Wright needs to find new ways to kill his team now that he's actually starting to drive in runs again.  O Captain my Captain.

And heaven forbid Niese ever toughens up when things aren't going his way. 

#30 FOREVER!

#1660 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,114 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:26 PM

Wright with an XBH! And another Rbi!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users