1719 replies to this topic

#1701 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:52 PM

Colon can truly be maddening at times.  Seems like there's no in between with him. 

Really hope the Mets are done with Dice K after this year too.  Whatever it was that he had left, the Mets have used it all up.

Saw the replay of Colon hitting Werth with a pitch...complete joke that he got tossed so quickly for that, but Colon is a lost cause when he doesn't have it.  Tonight sucks because his numbers just got sh!ttier at a glance. 

Recker with one of his random dingers.  Hope d'Arnaud's OK.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1702 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,193 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:22 PM

And the hits just keep on coming...Chris Young breaks up an Alex Cobb no-hitter in the 8th inning, then hits a 3-run walkoff HR in the 9th inning :P

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#1703 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,990 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:26 PM

Just forfeit the rest of this series already.

and yes of course Chris Young. An indifferent p.o.s. here...puts on the pinstripes and he's the righty babe ruth.

I blame this on Jeff Wilpon

Edited by '7', 11 September 2014 - 09:27 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#1704 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,990 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:07 PM

Wally Backman to join Mets coching staff on sept 19

Well this is certainly strange and awkward.

http://newyork.cbslo...aff-on-sept-19/

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#1705 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 06:39 AM

Not sure what the point of bringing Backman aboard is.

Finally, a win against the Nats!

Based on what Gee's done in his last 8 starts (49.1 IP, 49 H, 21 ER, 7 HR, 20 BB, 35 K, 3.83 ERA), I guess you could live with him as a fifth starter (that can't be counted on to stay healthy), but his numbers are trending the wrong way...his HRs and BBs are up.  Gee going forward is a guy who is a 3.50-4.00 ERA type who enjoyed about one calendar year of some good fortune that raised expectations...it's a bummer, because it was fun while it lasted, but he's never again going to have a stretch like he did from last season (remember how close he was to losing his spot in the rotation?) to July 9 this year.  

I'll admit it, EY's 7-for-11 burst has me worried that Sandy will start to believe that EY has a place on the 2015 team as more than just a spare part.  Hopefully not. 

Mets have to go 9-5 the rest of the way to finish .500.  Still a tall order, but the fact that it's even within reach is shocking.

Collin McHugh has really found a home in Houston.  He's been especially hot lately...can't blame the Mets for moving on from him though...they're loaded with starting pitching and McHugh wasn't giving anyone any reasons to think he could do what he's doing right now (Hefner was also pitching well at the time.  There simply wasn't much room for him, and the Mets needed help elsewhere and were able to turn him into EY, who clearly is a lousy bat, but does serve some needs. 

From McHugh's vantage point:

http://www.adayolder...management.html

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 13 September 2014 - 06:55 AM.

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1706 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 07:28 PM

One of those nights where all of the bugaboos are on display:  Zack throwing a gazillon pitches, d'Arnaud's poor defense on display, team not hitting. Glad I'm not out there seeing all of that in person.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 13 September 2014 - 07:29 PM.

#30 FOREVER!

#1707 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,990 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 09:01 PM

Not sure if it's the raindrops, but yea the Mets just cant field or throw a baseball today. Herrera was especially bad on two plays, and d'Arnaud just can't throw to a base. Honestly when I see games like this I start to think Travis to LF isn't such a bad idea.

#1708 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:34 AM

One thing that really sucks...the Nats are basically picking up where the Braves left off, in terms of dominating the Mets.  It's pretty obvious that, unless at least two of the Mets' young starters pitch well enough to become Cy Young candidates, and David Wright suddenly turns back in David Wright circa 2005-08, the most this team can hope for is to be wild-card contenders in 2015 (which admittedly would still be a huge step forward, in that they'd be going for 85+ wins instead of 75+ wins).  The gap between the Nats and Mets is just too damn big.   

#30 FOREVER!

#1709 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:36 PM

5 up, 5 K for deGrom.  Damn. 

Make that 6 for 6.  Just tied a Met record for most K to start a game.

#30 FOREVER!

#1710 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,990 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:49 PM

8 straight to start a game!

WOW!!!

#1711 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,990 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:52 PM

One thing that really sucks...the Nats are basically picking up where the Braves left off, in terms of dominating the Mets.  It's pretty obvious that, unless at least two of the Mets' young starters pitch well enough to become Cy Young candidates, and David Wright suddenly turns back in David Wright circa 2005-08, the most this team can hope for is to be wild-card contenders in 2015 (which admittedly would still be a huge step forward, in that they'd be going for 85+ wins instead of 75+ wins).  The gap between the Nats and Mets is just too damn big.   

What really annoyed me about those Braves teams is that they weren't SO much better than us to dominate us like that. I mean that kind of domination would be expected if we were a 68 win team and they were 100...but it was much closer and they inexplicably dominated us all the time! I mean there is really no excuse for the 1998-1999 Mets to go 8-22 (I count postseason) against the Braves.

#1712 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,990 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:08 PM

10k's in 4 innings for deGrom!

#1713 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,990 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:00 PM

Man deGrom lost it quickly. But shame on the Mets for not getting him more runs. The fact that he might lose this game on what was looking like a magical night is...very typical mets

#1714 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,990 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:25 PM

Textbook Mets gag job. Ruined a great night. Blew a two run lead in BOTH the 7th and 8th innings. Let Mejia (who stinks and is not a closer) give up the game winning hit to .207 Jeff Mathis. Just another absolute affirmation from the heavens this franchise is cursed.

#1715 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:51 AM

What really annoyed me about those Braves teams is that they weren't SO much better than us to dominate us like that. I mean that kind of domination would be expected if we were a 68 win team and they were 100...but it was much closer and they inexplicably dominated us all the time! I mean there is really no excuse for the 1998-1999 Mets to go 8-22 (I count postseason) against the Braves.

In the Bobby Valentine era, I think he had a bit of an inferiority complex when it came to the Braves (I think Valentine had other issues as well), and it trickled down to his players...you just knew the Mets were never going to beat the Braves when they needed to, and even worse, the Braves knew it too...Tom Glavine admitted as much.  I think the Mets have to get TC out of there...like I keep saying, you can't keep building your identity around losers, and we know what TC is:  a guy no one else wanted, who has shown repeatedly why no one wants him.  He's fine if you need a "keep the seat warm" body to get you by for a few years while your team is building or in transition, but that's it. 

As for last night...yes, maddening for sure, but Familia had some bad luck (not saying he was great), and last night is good in that the Mets need to see that Mejia's 26-for-29 save conversion rate is a bit of a mirage.  The sabes guys will point to his Ks (they value those over everything else), but he gives up too many baserunners...Familia is much better in this regard.  We've talked about it before, but I hope the Mets don't go into next season thinking "Problem solved, we have our closer!" with Mejia.  I think they should be open to other options. 

And deGrom...wow.  Pitchers are so damn unpredictable, but if Harvey can be Harvey again next season, deGrom continues to be this good, and Wheeler can be reasonably consistent and keep making progress...that's a hell of a 1-2-3 punch.

#30 FOREVER!

#1716 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:10 AM

Wilmer with a big night, but I can't make that big a deal out of a hitter taking Brad Penny deep a couple of times...Penny stinks now and pretty much has for a while.  I don't think there's much he can do this season to make me think he's a long-term solution...especially since he technically doesn't have a position. 

Can't believe Colon only gave up one run last night.  Also hard to believe he has a shot to win 15 games.  Guess the Mets got what they realistically could've expected from him. 

It will be interesting to see how the Mets wrap the season up, as far as their rotation goes.  Right now, if the rotation is left alone, everyone gets two more starts.  It wouldn't surprise me that much if deGrom gets one more start, then gets shut down.  He's currently at 172.2 IP for the season (Vegas and majors combined), and though the Mets have two off-days coming up, I can see the Mets cutting deGrom off at 180 IP or so.  Maybe Montero gets deGrom's final turn.  Maybe Colon gets sent home early after his next start, if he wants that...I'm sure his mother's passing is still hard for him.  I could see Torres or even Dice K getting Colon's start...for Dice, it'd be almost a "Thanks for not being the complete disaster we all thought you'd be, here's a little going away present." 

It's been discussed before, but I really am curious to see what Sandy does with all of these starting arms:

Locks to start in 2015, barring injuries:  Harvey, Wheeler, deGrom

Guys battling for the other two spots:  Colon, Niese, Gee, Syndergaard, Montero

Guys who could fight their way in:  Verrett, Matz, Bowman  

So hard to say what's going to happen, but I could see both Syndergaard and Montero starting next season in AAA, and Sandy dealing Colon, Niese, and/or Gee in April or May, as inevitable injuries to other teams' starters happen (of course, as we know, none of these three are locks to stay healthy themselves, though Colon will have made 30 starts in each of the last two seasons).  Their contract situations are obviously very different:

Gee:  arb eligible after this season, coming off one year at $3.625.  Can't see his salary going down.

Niese:  $5 mil 2015, $7 mil 2016, $9 mil 2017, $10 mil option 2018, $11 mil option 2019, $500k buyout for 2018 or 2019.  Seems like a relative bargain, but if I'm a team looking to trade for him, I'm concerned about his health, and can't help but wonder if we've already seen his best

Colon:  only one year left, $11 million, but when does the clock strike midnight?  For two seasons, everyone is trying to figure out what makes Colon as effective as he often is (of course, we've seen the other side of Colon as well), but no one seems to be able to explain HOW he does it. 

Gee could be a not-too-bad "OK, show me" one-year tryout kind of guy, and Colon could be a "Give us your all this season and find a way to win 14-16 games" type.  I'm just curious what guys like that bring back.  Anything the Mets actually need? 

#30 FOREVER!

#1717 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:21 AM

Another meh-ish Gee start.  His numbers since July 19:

12 starts, 72.2 IP, 72 H, 40 ER, 12 HR, 27 BB, 55 K,  4.95 ERA

Gee's never been a huge strikeout guy, but with guys striking out now more than ever, his K total is even less impressive.  His walk rate the last two seasons was 2.22/per 9.  In this sample, it's 3.34.  His career home rate entering this season was 1.05/per 9...for this sample, it's 1.49.  Unfortunately, suffice it to say GMs will realize that, despite have some roughly league-average numbers overall, Gee's performances are headed the wrong way, which means his trade value is probably sh!t at this point.  Someone will try to get him on the cheap...low-risk, mid-reward. 

8-1 to get to .500.  No way that happens.  If the Mets go 3-6 to finish the season, they'll have gone 5-11 to finish the year.  They'd also finish with a record of 76-86...a whopping two games better than last season.  Probably not enough to get Amateur Terry fired, but it should be.  Sandy should just put his Backman dislike aside and give the guy a shot to manage this team.  Enough with the caretaker sh!t.

#30 FOREVER!

#1718 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,193 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:48 AM

It'll be interesting to see what they can/are able to do to alleviate the starter logjam since currently you have Harvey, deGrom, Wheeler, Colon, Niese and Gee slotted in for next year and that's not accounting for Syndergaard/Montero/whoever else might be an option among the prospects.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#1719 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted Today, 06:51 AM

It'll be interesting to see what they can/are able to do to alleviate the starter logjam since currently you have Harvey, deGrom, Wheeler, Colon, Niese and Gee slotted in for next year and that's not accounting for Syndergaard/Montero/whoever else might be an option among the prospects.

I went into detail two posts up on that.

Let's face it...Niese, Gee, or Colon aren't going to bring much back.  I've said it many times, but as far as Colon goes, getting his money off the books is a win regardless of what comes back...it's that money (along with the obvious age/weight factor) that pretty much ensures nothing much in terms of a player return is coming back.  Niese and Gee saved their worst pitching for the end of the season and can't even seem to get through a season without something happening...neither has hit 200 IP for a season in their careers.  The only thing you're getting for them is flawed "hope they surprise" position players back. 

As much as we won't like it initially, if the Mets want to go out and trade for a real thumper, it's probably going to cost them at least one pitcher out of the deGrom/Syndergaard/Wheeler/Matz/Montero/Verrett/Bowman group, probably two.  What kind of a bat would a package of Niese (signed to fixed money, and a lefty), Syndergaard, and Montero bring?  Other teams know what the Mets' starting pitching depth is, and they're going to ask for a lot initially.  I have a feeling Sandy's leaning towards keeping as many arms as possible...if he dealt two out of the Gee/Niese/Colon group, I think he'd be happy with that...you'd have four slots in the rotation filled, with room for Syndergaard (who I have to think is front-and-center to win a spot coming out of spring...I'd like to think he's done with Vegas).   

#30 FOREVER!

#1720 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,990 posts

Posted Today, 08:30 PM

I think the best Gee can bring back is a very good utility player who is a borderline starter and can give you quality play in spurts (think Justin Turner...who we should've kept), a fading outfielder (think Ryan Ludwick) OR a wild young bullpen arm (vic black type). His value just isn't very high. Dillon Gee's are a dime a dozen. Seems like any team could pull one out of their system.

Niese is the only one with any real value but I think they'll hold on to him

If any of the young arms go, It's going to be Montero who seems to be a bit erratic in his major league starts. I just see a lot of wildness out of him. Reminds me of Mejia in a way.

I don't think there is any big trade or thumper coming. They will not take on a big contract in the offseason. The Mets will try to do this one the cheap as usual. I think their strategy is to try to somehow, by hook or by crook drag the offense up to where it's say...15th in baseball. Middle of the road. And I think they're pretty much banking on having a top 5 pitching staff next year. So if you put that together...you would hope that yields a competitive team.

Edited by '7', Today, 08:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users