1750 replies to this topic

#1741 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,120 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 07:54 PM

*sigh* Niese pitching a very strong game and has to leave with an injury in the 6th up 1-0. Hope it's nothing arm related...I know he dropped into a deep squat after Recker threw it to 2nd...so maybe it's just a strained groin or something. Hopefully not anything arm related.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#1742 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,120 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 07:59 PM

Saw Jeter's game-winning AB last night (wouldn't surprise me if Meek grooved it just a little...a couple of pitchers did the same with Mantle at the end...one catcher even said to him "Where do you want it?" just before Mantle hit his second-to-last career home run).  It was a great moment for Jeter, his teammates (past and current), and the Yankee fanbase.  From a strictly forensic standpoint, he was a good-to-very good player who had a knack for raising his game and coming up big when his team needed him to, in memorable spots, but describing him in such a way is clearly selling him short.  He is definitely nowhere near the level of Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio and Mantle from a pure ability standpoint, but he definitely is on their level as far as the "special" aspect goes, which is why he keeps getting mentioned with them.  He means just as much to many Yankee fans as any other Yankee great...probably more to the ones who never got to see the "Mount Rushmore" guys play. 

I mention the above because I don't EVER want to hear anything along the lines of David Wright being "our Jeter" again.  For one, it's an insult to Jeter, the guy who actually gets it done in a lot of big moments and whose clutch ability has never been questioned.  For another, Wright is going to have to have a hell of a second half to his career, because right now he's as much a loser poster boy as Jeter is the opposite.      

I feel more bad for wright than angry at Wright. Especially since it has been revealed this year his shoulder was much worse than he let on...and may lead to surgery (which is partly his fault for not speaking up about it earlier) I think below the surface he's just seething and through with losing

A lot of the Jeter myth is jut myth and luck (the Giambi play, Posada never tagged the guy, the Maier HR) but a lot of the time he was flat out clutch to the max and I respect him for that. But Jeter playing on that heavy payroll Yankee machine gave him those postseason opportunities! Otherwise he's Paul Molitor

Who knows, maybe if the Mets spent the money and Wright is in the playoffs from 2007-2012...he has a bunch of clutch moments to hang his hat on too...but he never got that opportunity. And when he's had chances to be clutch in the regular season, he really hasn't.

Wrights career is littered with unknowns and what ifs

Edited by '7', 26 September 2014 - 08:00 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#1743 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,511 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 05:49 AM

*sigh* Niese pitching a very strong game and has to leave with an injury in the 6th up 1-0. Hope it's nothing arm related...I know he dropped into a deep squat after Recker threw it to 2nd...so maybe it's just a strained groin or something. Hopefully not anything arm related.

Elevated heart-rate.  Apparently it happened once before, a couple of years ago.  Supposedly not a big concern.

Niese finished up pretty well...26.1 IP, 24 H, 4 ER, 2 BB, 23 K.  Some of his numbers are pretty similar to 2012 (his best season to date).  The fact is, if he turns in a similar year next season, at a cost of $7 mil, and gets some run support (winning 12 or 13 games), he represents fair value.  You just wonder when that "out for the season" year is coming.  He feels like such a gamble sometimes, with all of his health scares.

I feel more bad for wright than angry at Wright. Especially since it has been revealed this year his shoulder was much worse than he let on...and may lead to surgery (which is partly his fault for not speaking up about it earlier) I think below the surface he's just seething and through with losing

A lot of the Jeter myth is jut myth and luck (the Giambi play, Posada never tagged the guy, the Maier HR) but a lot of the time he was flat out clutch to the max and I respect him for that. But Jeter playing on that heavy payroll Yankee machine gave him those postseason opportunities! Otherwise he's Paul Molitor

Who knows, maybe if the Mets spent the money and Wright is in the playoffs from 2007-2012...he has a bunch of clutch moments to hang his hat on too...but he never got that opportunity. And when he's had chances to be clutch in the regular season, he really hasn't.

Wrights career is littered with unknowns and what ifs

Even though you mention Paul Molitor (who clearly could hit plenty), you're kind of making it sound like Jeter was some .265 light-hitting SS who had a knack for coming up with the right hits at the right time, but was merely along for the ride.  I don't think you give him enough credit.  The guy was a terrific offensive player, especially for a SS, and had an insanely long prime...the comparison you can make to Marty is that they both had insanely long primes and were both incredibly durable to boot.  Jeter's high career-hit total is the best indicator of his consistency...guys who NEVER have a bad year from their age 22 to age 38 seasons are extremely hard to come by.  Jeter was a pretty significant contributor to those teams.

And let's face it, you can say the same thing about many great players who were fortunate enough to play on good teams.  As great as Mickey Mantle was, would he have been such a World Series beast without all of the talent on HIS teams?  My complaint about Wright is always the same...I know the Mets haven't exactly surrounded him with good players, but at the same time, like you say, he doesn't transcend and give his teammates something to build around.  When Jeter came up to the plate with a chance to turn the game, you felt good about his chances to get it done (obviously he wasn't 100%, no one is in a high-failure kind of game like baseball, but he did it more than enough that you felt good seeing him bat in big spots).  There's guys stuck on sh!t teams who still find ways to stubbornly put up pretty good numbers and make the most of the opportunities they get.  Wright doesn't.  He's always sinking right along with everyone else.  You have NO confidence in him getting it done when you need him to, and people need to stop making excuse after excuse for him and just accept that the guy isn't a winner, and the only way that he ever will be is if people stop thinking of him as anything more than a guy who SHOULD be along for the ride. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1744 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,120 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 09:16 PM

Nice game winning HR by Duda there. Yea it's meaningless but he hit it off a lefty...which is nice

#1745 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,511 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 05:36 AM

Nice game winning HR by Duda there. Yea it's meaningless but he hit it off a lefty...which is nice

Duda will probably never do much against lefties, but at least he's had a nice offensive year...more than anyone could have expected. The huge question is can he do this consistently?

Montero's last three major-league starts were pretty good. He was hard to watch at times, but at least he got his feet wet.

Sounds crazy to say this, but I wonder if the Mets don't tender Gee, strictly so they won't be on the hook for paying him. He made $3.65 mil in arbitration last season...he'll probably get a small raise.
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1746 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,511 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:24 AM

Duda with some more garbage-time fattening up, but guys who hit 30 HR and drive in 92 aren't exactly growing on trees right now.  His 30 HR were good for 3rd in the NL, and his 92 RBI were good for 6th.  His .830 OB+SLG ranked 14th.  It's going to take us all a while to adjust the way we look at glamour numbers (just like 30 HR and 92 RBI are much more impressive now than they were 10 years ago, ERAs in the high-3.00s aren't...game has changed a lot, and seemingly overnight).

So hard to believe Colon was a 15-game winner.  Funny, it wasn't pretty with him (and at times was very ugly), but if we had been told he'd make 31 starts, pitch over 200 IP (which no Mets pitcher seems to do anymore) and would be a 15-game winner, I think we all would've taken it pretty willingly.  You could actually kind of live with him as a 4th or 5th guy if you had any guarantee that he could repeat this season in 2016, and get a little more run support.  But the problems remain the same:  he's going to make too much money and there's too many young arms who are ready and rarin' to go (barring Sandy trading some of those young arms for other needs).  The big question is does Gee get tendered?  Like I said in the above post, the Mets may just decide they don't want to pay him $4 mil or so, even if it means they lose him for nothing.  IF the Mets want to keep Colon (it depends if Sandy thinks the Mets need at least one veteran in the rotation, though you can make the argument that Niese is also a veteran at this point in his career, despite that fact that he'll only be 28 years at the start of next season), then I can't see why they'd want to have about $4 mil in limited funds wrapped up in Gee, who clearly was not good down the stretch...especially since $18 million will be locked up in Niese ($7 mil) and Colon ($11 mil) next season...not to mention that deGrom and Wheeler already have spots in the rotation, and as long as Harvey is healthy and able to pitch (even if he's not the Harvey of 2013), he's got a spot too. 

During Montero's final start, the discussion in the booth was that the Mets envision Montero as a starter and don't really want to make him a bullpen guy. 

So many arms, so many decisions...       

#30 FOREVER!

#1747 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 01:35 PM

Well I would have said last week that this offseason was make or break for alderson but then the mets went and gave him an extension, so unfortunately that shows me that we should expect more of the same- bargain type acquisitions with low risk/high reward.

I'll be shocked if the payroll is above $95 mil starting next season.

#1748 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,511 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 02:41 PM

Well I would have said last week that this offseason was make or break for alderson but then the mets went and gave him an extension, so unfortunately that shows me that we should expect more of the same- bargain type acquisitions with low risk/high reward.

I'll be shocked if the payroll is above $95 mil starting next season.

There's already been pretty strong indications that the Mets aren't upping the payroll by much next season, if at all.  On one hand it drives me crazy, but on another, Sandy hasn't exactly done a great job in FA, so I'm not sure I should be pining for him to spend money there...especially when a mistake can be crippling financially.  It also looks like the Mets have a lot of cheap bullpen arms to lean on too. 

We've been over it, but Murph is probably getting a nice raise over his 2014 figure of $5.7 mil...figure $8-9 mil in 2015 (his last arbitration year).  We've heard the numbers kicked around for 2016 and beyond...probably 4-5 years at $10-12 million per...of course, that pay rate could start in 2015 if the Mets decide to buy out his final arbitration year.  If the Mets re-sign him long-term (I wouldn't do it), you've got a lot of coin tied up in Murph, Wright, and Granderson...roughly half the team's payroll if it stays about the same the next three years, and all three of them are flawed.  Duda made $1,637,500 last season and is entering Arbitration Year #2 (he avoided it last year)...safe to say he's getting a hefty raise.  If he has another year similar to this one, he has two more arbitration years after this one...expect the Mets to think about trying to buy out his last arb years by offering a 4-5 year deal.  They need as much young cheap talent as they can bring up. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 30 September 2014 - 06:20 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#1749 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 01:28 PM

There's already been pretty strong indications that the Mets aren't upping the payroll by much next season, if at all. On one hand it drives me crazy, but on another, Sandy hasn't exactly done a great job in FA, so I'm not sure I should be pining for him to spend money there...especially when a mistake can be crippling financially. It also looks like the Mets have a lot of cheap bullpen arms to lean on too.

We've been over it, but Murph is probably getting a nice raise over his 2014 figure of $5.7 mil...figure $8-9 mil in 2015 (his last arbitration year). We've heard the numbers kicked around for 2016 and beyond...probably 4-5 years at $10-12 million per...of course, that pay rate could start in 2015 if the Mets decide to buy out his final arbitration year. If the Mets re-sign him long-term (I wouldn't do it), you've got a lot of coin tied up in Murph, Wright, and Granderson...roughly half the team's payroll if it stays about the same the next three years, and all three of them are flawed. Duda made $1,637,500 last season and is entering Arbitration Year #2 (he avoided it last year)...safe to say he's getting a hefty raise. If he has another year similar to this one, he has two more arbitration years after this one...expect the Mets to think about trying to buy out his last arb years by offering a 4-5 year deal. They need as much young cheap talent as they can bring up.

yeah I guess I shouldn't be hoping for a big ticket FA since sandy has pretty much swung and missed so far in that's area. I just want to see a significant upgrade in some way.

You're right that Murphy will probably be traded and I'm not gonna argue it's wrong to do so BUT I don't want to see him moved for a prospect and only have Herrera or Flores starting at second and no additional upgrade in the outfield.

I mean it's obvious this team has been starved for offense since before sandy got here. In 4 years, the one guy he brought in that actually performed well in that department he traded. I'm appreciative that he's been trying to build the farm system up and set us up for long term success, but now it's time for results.

#1750 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,511 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 06:09 AM

yeah I guess I shouldn't be hoping for a big ticket FA since sandy has pretty much swung and missed so far in that's area. I just want to see a significant upgrade in some way.

You're right that Murphy will probably be traded and I'm not gonna argue it's wrong to do so BUT I don't want to see him moved for a prospect and only have Herrera or Flores starting at second and no additional upgrade in the outfield.

I mean it's obvious this team has been starved for offense since before sandy got here. In 4 years, the one guy he brought in that actually performed well in that department he traded. I'm appreciative that he's been trying to build the farm system up and set us up for long term success, but now it's time for results.

So curious to see how the Mets handle Murph.  They CAN keep him on a one-year deal and see how the season goes...if the Mets are contending and he's playing well, they can even keep him the entire season (and not move him at the deadline) and simply just let him walk.  Sure, on some levels that would suck (not getting anything back for him), but I'm not sure how much trade value he actually has.  Good for him for making the All-Star team this season, but he's really nothing more than a solid pro who, as has been discussed many times, has many flaws that he can't seem to improve upon (like his meh-ish OB% and lack of power).  His slash line from three seasons ago was .291/.332/.403/.735, last year it was .286/.319/.415/.734, and this season it was .289/.332/.403/.735.  He's consistently a pretty good bat, but as we know, he's a poor baserunner and a mediocre fielder, and he's now about to start making non-bargain money (and could soon be heading into his decline years), so if the Mets think Herrera needs more seasoning (maybe a full season of AAA), then the Mets might as well hang onto Murph and let him leave at the end of the year...the potential return via trade probably isn't going to be as sweet as some Met fans think it is.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 03 October 2014 - 06:09 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#1751 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:18 AM

Nice to see the Nats punched out again.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users