1777 replies to this topic

#1761 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 04:21 PM

LOL Sandy. Just what the Mets need, another old outfielder who will fall apart outside of his crazy friendly home park... and one who is also injury probe and a big liability in the field. They really learned from the Lucas Duda experiment.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1762 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,758 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 04:22 PM

Well this was certainly a bolt out of the blue. Cuddyer is a solid, workmanlike hitter. A little old but not ancient, can still hit...and not on a brutal contract

And we got a bat without sacrificing any young arms currently in the system. Nicely done.

Do we know the average value yet?  All I'm seeing is under $25 million.  If he's getting $12 million per and the Mets are still keeping payroll down, that's a lot of coin for a guy who could miss a lot of games.

Last three seasons he's played 280 out of 486 games.  Like I said, this is extremely risky, especially since it's costing the Mets their first-rounder.  I get what Has is saying completely...it's not like that first-rounder was going to figure into the Mets' immediate plans...but it just feels like the Mets did this for the wrong guy.  Injury-prone players in their mid-30s are a little scary. 

LOL Sandy. Just what the Mets need, another old outfielder who will fall apart outside of his crazy friendly home park... and one who is also injury probe and a big liability in the field. They really learned from the Lucas Duda experiment.

We're on the same page here nmig.  I had a feeling this would be your take. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1763 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 04:22 PM

I mean you would hope that the fact they were willing to give up the first-rounder this time around means they're actually going to try to make real moves to improve the offense...but it's the Mets, this is probably their one-and-done big move of the offseason (like Granderson last year).  I do actually think to a degree they know they can't punt another year without at least giving off the illusion of doing something, the first rounder this year isn't going to do Sandy much good till '18 or '19 anyway when he's likely retired.

well, just adding Harvey, Cuddyer, and Parnell you're looking at a much improved squad. But SS does need an upgrade as well. I wouldn't do it for blue chip pitching though. 

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#1764 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 04:23 PM

Cuddyer is old, injury-prone, shouldn't even play the outfield, and his big numbers the last few years are a big product of Coors Field's BABIP-inflating ways. Puke for me.

Maybe if we spin off some arms for Tulo I'll have a little excitement, but Sandy doesn't do that kind of stuff.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1765 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,758 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 04:25 PM

We don't know how Harvey and Parnell will perform, though for some reason I feel a lot better about Harvey than I do about Parnell.  I just have a feeling Harvey is coming back strong.

Cuddyer is old, injury-prone, shouldn't even play the outfield, and his big numbers the last few years are a big product of Coors Field's BABIP-inflating ways. Puke for me.

Maybe if we spin off some arms for Tulo I'll have a little excitement, but Sandy doesn't do that kind of stuff.

Is his fielding that bad?  If it is, then I REALLY hate this deal. 

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1766 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,722 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 04:27 PM

Last three seasons he's played 280 out of 486 games.  Like I said, this is extremely risky, especially since it's costing the Mets their first-rounder.  I get what Has is saying completely...it's not like that first-rounder was going to figure into the Mets' immediate plans...but it just feels like the Mets did this for the wrong guy.  Injury-prone players in their mid-30s are a little scary. 

I can't say I disagree with that either...I mean if they were going to get an injury-prone guy in FA I'd rather it have been Hanley but we know the Mets weren't ever going to do that.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 10 November 2014 - 04:28 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#1767 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 06:56 PM

Is his fielding that bad?  If it is, then I REALLY hate this deal. 

Yes, it is. He ranks basically dead last in UZR and DRS among RF over the last five years.....and oh yeah, he turns 36 before Opening Day and is seemingly always ailing with something, so it's not getting any better.

Honestly the terms (2/21) aren't crazy and I really don't give a sh!t about the draft pick anymore. We really do need to win now. But of all people, Cuddyer? It's just a bad match. He's a better fit for an AL team looking to rotate someone between DH/1B/OF, not an OF-needy team that is going to depend on him to play 130+ games out there.

What's done is done, though. There is no turning back now, Sandy -- you can't just sign Cuddyer and be done with it. Go get a bonafide SS and hope it all clicks in 2015. I'd still go balls out for with a deal led by Syndergaard or Wheeler for Tulo and take on his entire deal.

Edited by nmigliore, 10 November 2014 - 07:05 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1768 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,758 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 07:01 PM

2 years, $21 million for Cuddyer.  This passes for big money with the Mets...they have the dual albatrosses of Wright and Granderson on the payroll already, so I think it's safe to assume that they won't be adding any contracts like either one of those.

Fatso was talking about the possibility of trading Syndergaard for Starlin Castro, straight up.  Mets probably have to make that deal, if that's what it took.  Castro's only 24 years old and has been solid at the plate in four out of his five seasons in the majors (yeah, he's already played five years).  He's also locked up to reasonable money for the next five seasons (plus an option year).  Perfect for a cost-conscious team like the Mets.

Congrats to Jacob deGrom...great story.  And one more time...you had nothing to do with it Sandy.

Yes, it is. He ranks basically dead last in UZR and DRS among RF over the last five years.....and oh yeah, he turns 36 before Opening Day and is seemingly always ailing with something.

Honestly the terms (2/21) aren't crazy and I really don't give a sh!t about the draft pick anymore. We really do need to win now. But of all people, Cuddyer? It's just a bad match. He's a better fit for an AL team looking to rotate someone between DH/1B/OF, not an OF-needy team who is going to depend on him to play 130+ games out there.

Oh good lord.  That's what I was afraid of.  Sandy is a moron.

#30 FOREVER!

#1769 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 07:07 PM

Congrats to deGrom on NL RoY. Well deserved. At least something good came out of today.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1770 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,758 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 07:12 PM

Congrats to deGrom on NL RoY. Well deserved. At least something good came out of today.

Really is awesome for him.  As brain-dead as the Wilpons, Sandy, and Terry are, it's impossible not to get excited about the starting pitching. 

#30 FOREVER!

#1771 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:42 PM

Came it to see your guys' take on cuddyer- gotta say I kind of disagree, I don't mind the signing. I think he's a solid player and came at a decent price- especially considering we don't give up any pitching prospects to get him. He can fill the outfield until (hopefully) one of our prospects like conforto/nimmo are ready.

If the only other alternative was to package two of the pitching prospects for a guy like cespedes, I'm glad we went the route that let's us hold onto the prospects to fill other needs.

Specifically I'm hoping this signals that the SS position will be filled using one of the young pitchers- I'm not totally sold on Castro but his contract is attractive.

Starting next year with the additions of cuddyer, Castro and Harvey could easily put us in a wild card race.

Edited by dmann422, 11 November 2014 - 12:43 PM.

#1772 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,758 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 01:03 PM

Castro's 2013 season was a little scary, but he's been reasonably consistent in the other four.  He's young and his contract is reasonable.  Good SSs simply aren't that easy to find, and God knows the Mets badly need to upgrade at that position.  Mets can't sell us on Wilmer Flores if they're serious about taking steps forward, though it would've been nice if their first big offseason move wasn't to bring in an "IF" quantity like Cuddyer (who'd BETTER hit, because his fielding is going to hurt the pitching staff). 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 11 November 2014 - 01:04 PM.

#30 FOREVER!

#1773 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 04:38 PM

Castro's 2013 season was a little scary, but he's been reasonably consistent in the other four. He's young and his contract is reasonable. Good SSs simply aren't that easy to find, and God knows the Mets badly need to upgrade at that position. Mets can't sell us on Wilmer Flores if they're serious about taking steps forward, though it would've been nice if their first big offseason move wasn't to bring in an "IF" quantity like Cuddyer (who'd BETTER hit, because his fielding is going to hurt the pitching staff).

definitely agreed, I'll clarify that I don't think cuddyer is a huge pickup, but he could be the right one for this team- I think one of the things especially under appreciated and especially important in baseball is a winning mindset- and that's one of the reasons I've liked both the additions of granderson and cuddyer. Sure they are not A plus quality FA acquisitions, but they're guys who have been to the playoffs and know what it takes to get there.

For a club that's had 6 consecutive losing seasons(and epic collapses before that), that type of clubhouse leadership is key. It's what we've missed since the likes of prime Wagner/LoDuca. Along with Harvey's confidence it can signal a turning point in the feel of the team- It can be the difference between whether or not a 3 game losing streak stretches into 5-6 games

Then again, maybe I'm overrating intangibles, I don't know.

#1774 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 10:35 AM

Hold on a sec re: Cuddyer.  From MLBTR:

Cuddyer is coming off a strong three-year stretch with the Rockies, and while many will point to Coors Field as a large reason for his gaudy numbers, he hit well away from the Denver launching pad as well. Cuddyer hit .307/.362/.505 as a Rockie and batted .286/.332/.463 on the road during that time. He took home the NL Batting Title in 2013 and batted .331/.385/.543 over the past two seasons.

I get the concern about his defense and injury history, those things are very real.  But it's not like he's batted the Mendoza line outside of Coors Field.

VOTE CRASHER FOR LADY BYNG 2011!

2008 NJDevs Fantasy Football Champion
Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

Devils Head Coach = More turnover than the Defense Against the Dark Arts post.

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that
THE INTERNETS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS KTHXBYE~!

#1775 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,758 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 12:19 PM

definitely agreed, I'll clarify that I don't think cuddyer is a huge pickup, but he could be the right one for this team- I think one of the things especially under appreciated and especially important in baseball is a winning mindset- and that's one of the reasons I've liked both the additions of granderson and cuddyer. Sure they are not A plus quality FA acquisitions, but they're guys who have been to the playoffs and know what it takes to get there.

For a club that's had 6 consecutive losing seasons(and epic collapses before that), that type of clubhouse leadership is key. It's what we've missed since the likes of prime Wagner/LoDuca. Along with Harvey's confidence it can signal a turning point in the feel of the team- It can be the difference between whether or not a 3 game losing streak stretches into 5-6 games

Then again, maybe I'm overrating intangibles, I don't know.

Cuddyer's "winning" mindset didn't do much for Colorado...64, 74, and 66 wins in his three seasons there.  Granderson was awful at the plate for very long stretches last season, but there was evidence to suggest that he would be coming in...Sandy simply chose to ignore it.  Based on his recent numbers, he did about what I expected him to, and predictably, the power numbers plummeted without Yankee Bandbox to puff up his numbers.  It's great that he's a swell guy, but the Mets didn't need him to be a glorified mascot/clubhouse presence...they got him and paid him to produce, and he simply didn't do nearly enough.   

Look, I hope Cuddyer works out, but the leadership probably isn't coming from Cuddyer, and it's definitely not coming from Granderson or Wright (you can't build your identity around a loser).  I think it's gotta come from the young pitching...guys like Harvey and deGrom who don't want any part of the suckage that came before them.  Those guys are the ones that can end losing streaks in a hurry. 

#30 FOREVER!

#1776 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:13 PM

Look, I hope Cuddyer works out, but the leadership probably isn't coming from Cuddyer, and it's definitely not coming from Granderson or Wright (you can't build your identity around a loser). I think it's gotta come from the young pitching...guys like Harvey and deGrom who don't want any part of the suckage that came before them. Those guys are the ones that can end losing streaks in a hurry.

fair enough, I think both granderson and cuddyer are fine 5-6 hitters on a playoff team. Add on the fact that they both know what it takes to get to the playoffs and their contracts are not unbearable. We now have 5 guys with playoff experience- those 2 plus wright, colon and EY.

I disagree with pitchers being clubhouse leaders because it's difficult to be that if you're not an everyday player.

Again I certainly don't think cuddyer puts us over the top but it's a step in the right direction and it allows use to use our prospects for other needs.

#1777 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,758 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 06:48 PM

fair enough, I think both granderson and cuddyer are fine 5-6 hitters on a playoff team. Add on the fact that they both know what it takes to get to the playoffs and their contracts are not unbearable. We now have 5 guys with playoff experience- those 2 plus wright, colon and EY.

I disagree with pitchers being clubhouse leaders because it's difficult to be that if you're not an everyday player.

Again I certainly don't think cuddyer puts us over the top but it's a step in the right direction and it allows use to use our prospects for other needs.

Think you're making too much of intangibles here (and that's assuming Granderson and Cuddyer even have any).  2014 Granderson is a pretty bad 5th-place hitter (and let's face it, Yankee Stadium did wonders for his numbers).  I'm hopeful that Cuddyer can stay healthy...I'm not expecting him to put up Colorado numbers, but I'll take numbers somewhere around his career averages. 

Matt Harvey has something...he doesn't always come off the right way, but he seems like someone who's not afraid to call the franchise out on their nonsense, and who wants the ball in the big game.  Mets have needed a guy like that for a while.  Tom Seaver was very much a leader back in the old days, so I don't think it's impossible for a starting pitcher to take on that role (or for a few starting pitchers to be leaders by committee).  I just know the Mets can't look to Wright to be their leader...the idea that he can be that guy is a complete farce.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 12 November 2014 - 06:48 PM.

#30 FOREVER!

#1778 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,758 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:45 AM

Billy Beane sees something in Ike Davis (as we know, he has turned into a solid OB% guy...we also know about his power disappearance and other warts):

http://espn.go.com/m...es-fill-1b-spot

Haven't heard squat about the Mets of course, but I'm not surprised...they weren't going to spend tons of coin on Ramirez types.  We'll see what happens after the Winter Meetings. 

#30 FOREVER!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users