97 replies to this topic

#61 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:20 AM

I think the guys who PDB is probably most frustrated with are Brunner and Ryder.  Both are prone to LONG periods of scoring invisibility, and they don't do enough otherwise to disappear for as long as they do.  Can't expect Bernier to score much, really.   

re:  Loktionov, NJ is just finding out what LA already knew...that he's not some gem who didn't get a fair chance.  He's simply very meh.  Maybe he has a decent career in KHL.

Speaking of the KHL, Kovalchuk has been pretty good, but far from great, really:  44 GP, 16 G, 24 A, 40 Pts, +1, 9.6 shooting%.  Fine if he missed his homeland and decided that he didn't want to live in the US anymore, but I also think he knew he soon wasn't going to be anywhere near the player he had been earlier, and knew he'd be better off playing against lesser competition.  I only bring this up because I don't think Kovy as he is now would've have been as much of a help to this year's team as some might think (and I think Kovy knows it too). 

And Russia doesn't exactly have a bunch of Charas and McDonaghs running around back there, just look at who's on their olympic team on defense. Those stats are barely good enough for the NHL, much less the cruddy KHL. Kinda happy he's gone at this point

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#62 Blown01NJ

Blown01NJ

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:33 AM

And Russia doesn't exactly have a bunch of Charas and McDonaghs running around back there, just look at who's on their olympic team on defense. Those stats are barely good enough for the NHL, much less the cruddy KHL. Kinda happy he's gone at this point

40 points in 44 games is barely good enough for the NHL?

Oh.
-Putting that bread and butter all over the toast.

#63 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:47 AM

Sadly, Kovy is exactly what this team is missing right now. That long contract, no. But definitely his ability to score. Then again, if we still have Kovy we probably don't have Jagr and/or Zidlicky

#64 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,502 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:58 AM

Sadly, Kovy is exactly what this team is missing right now. That long contract, no. But definitely his ability to score. Then again, if we still have Kovy we probably don't have Jagr and/or Zidlicky

The reason I posted what I did is to show that if Kovy WAS here, he'd probably be part of the problem and not really much of a solution.  He's not Kovy anymore, and like I said, I think even Kovy knew it, and when the opportunity presented itself to go somewhere else where he could still make a lot of coin, he jumped at it.  He wasn't looking forward to scoring less than 30 goals per season and hearing about how bad his contract was here. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 05 February 2014 - 09:58 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#65 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:04 AM

The reason I posted what I did is to show that if Kovy WAS here, he'd probably be part of the problem and not really much of a solution. He's not Kovy anymore, and like I said, I think even Kovy knew it, and when the opportunity presented itself to go somewhere else where he could still make a lot of coin, he jumped at it. He wasn't looking forward to scoring less than 30 goals per season and hearing about how bad his contract was here.

I hear you, I tend to think it was more of a perfect storm of things, including plenty of stuff I'm sure we don't even know about. The lockout, the injury, missing the playoffs, and an unimaginable contract. Kovy was a merc, there's no two ways around it but he was electrifying and this team misses his finishing ability in the short term for sure

#66 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,735 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:05 AM

It's really not.  The power play has been fine (lucky, but fine) and he wasn't a good 5v5 scorer in any year here, really.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#67 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:09 AM

It's really not. The power play has been fine (lucky, but fine) and he wasn't a good 5v5 scorer in any year here, really.

You can't tell me with a straight face that a team with immense scoring trouble doesn't miss a 30-40 goal scorer
Not to mention becoming a plus player on the penalty kill, maybe the biggest threat on the pk out there in the history of the league that last year

#68 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,110 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:19 AM

You can't tell me with a straight face that a team with immense scoring trouble doesn't miss a 30-40 goal scorer
Not to mention becoming a plus player on the penalty kill, maybe the biggest threat on the pk out there in the history of the league that last year

I get what Tri is getting at, and he is probably right for the price the Devils were paying Kovy. Also with Kovy, the Devils don't have Jagr, so is there improvement?

Kovy with Jagr could make a good PP even better, but I don't think Kovy is helping this team much more than Jagr is this season..if at all.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#69 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,487 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:22 AM

Exactly! And right now the teams around us have players that are lighting it up at the level that Kovalchuk used to be able to when he was hot. Rangers have 2-3 hot players in Nash and Richards playing elite level hockey and look at the run they're on. They can and will beat anybody and everybody on any given night. I think it's a temporary thing that'll dwindle after the Olympics, but still. We're not getting ANYthing, temporary or long-term, and that's on Lou and the roster he's put together.

#70 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,487 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:26 AM

I get what Tri is getting at, and he is probably right for the price the Devils were paying Kovy. Also with Kovy, the Devils don't have Jagr, so is there improvement?

Kovy with Jagr could make a good PP even better, but I don't think Kovy is helping this team much more than Jagr is this season..if at all.

I'd say with Kovy we definitely don't have the Clowe deal. I don't think the Clarkson departure gets "solved" by getting Clowe. It's possible Lou intended all along to go out and get Ryder and/or Jagr to two pretty good deal$$$ for New Jersey that allow Kovalchuk to shift back to LW. Maybe getting 1-2 RW to allow Kovy to shift LW was the plan all along. We have a gaping hole in LW which shows Lou never figured out what to do over there.

Edited by DJ Eco, 05 February 2014 - 10:27 AM.

#71 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,735 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:29 AM

There's a salary cap.  Sure, if budget was absolutely no consideration, yeah I'd rather have Kovalchuk than Brunner.  But it is, and I've laid out the argument many times, but that Kovalchuk's 30+ goals were basically as not valuable as 30 goals can be.  I do agree that 4v5 is where they miss Kovalchuk the most.

And at $11M in salary and the assumption that our new owners are cognizant of the budget, take any 3 players NJ signed this off-season and boot them off the team.  And in that case, there's no way Kovalchuk is worth it.

Edited by Triumph, 05 February 2014 - 10:29 AM.

#72 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:36 AM

There's a salary cap. Sure, if budget was absolutely no consideration, yeah I'd rather have Kovalchuk than Brunner. But it is, and I've laid out the argument many times, but that Kovalchuk's 30+ goals were basically as not valuable as 30 goals can be. I do agree that 4v5 is where they miss Kovalchuk the most.

And at $11M in salary and the assumption that our new owners are cognizant of the budget, take any 3 players NJ signed this off-season and boot them off the team. And in that case, there's no way Kovalchuk is worth it.

The second thing I said was "not that contract, though". I'm talking from a pure hockey standpoint as far as what they are missing on ice. Speed and scoring. I don't disagree with anything you just said

#73 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:46 AM

There's a salary cap.  Sure, if budget was absolutely no consideration, yeah I'd rather have Kovalchuk than Brunner.  But it is, and I've laid out the argument many times, but that Kovalchuk's 30+ goals were basically as not valuable as 30 goals can be.  I do agree that 4v5 is where they miss Kovalchuk the most.

And at $11M in salary and the assumption that our new owners are cognizant of the budget, take any 3 players NJ signed this off-season and boot them off the team.  And in that case, there's no way Kovalchuk is worth it.

4v5 they are fine. They boast the second best PK and have scored their fair share of shorthanded goals. I reckon the PP has improved too, but without looking at shot rates, it'd be impossible to know

#74 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,502 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:56 AM

PK's been among the best in the league, at least from a pure kill standpoint.

Whether or not Kovy would've been a 30-40 goal scorer now and going forward is definitely questionable.  He scored 11 goals in 37 GP last season.  He's not lighting it up in the KHL this season.  His shooting %s in the NHL last season and the KHL this season are not great.  I agree, a lot of things led to his leaving, and we'll never know what they all were, but he comes off like he's a pretty sensitive guy, and one who knew it was going to get ugly around here when he could no longer live up to that deal.  One could argue that he could never truly live up to it, but less-than-30 goals Kovy would've been hard for a lot of Devils fans to take, especially with his shortcomings elsewhere. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 05 February 2014 - 11:05 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#75 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:01 AM

PK's been among the best in the league, at least from a pure kill standpoint.

Whether or not Kovy would've been a 30-40 goal scorer now and going forward is definitely questionable. He scored 11 goals in 37 GP last season. He's not lighting it up in the KHL this season. His shooting %s in the NHL last season and the KHL this season are not great. I agree, a lot of things led to his leaving, and we'll never know what they all were, but he comes off like he's a pretty sensitive guy, and one who knew it was going to get ugly around here when he could no longer live up to that deal. One argue that he could never truly live up to it, but less-than-30 goals Kovy would've been hard for a lot of Devils fans to take, especially with his shortcomings elsewhere.

Yeah it is a relief to get out of that contract but I do miss the guy carrying the puck in the zone with speed and slamming on the breaks. This team is a lot easier to account for. Take the red, dump it in. From a coaching stand point it keeps teams off balance and mixes it up a little

#76 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,948 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:19 AM

It's really not.  The power play has been fine (lucky, but fine) and he wasn't a good 5v5 scorer in any year here, really.

But what about offensive zone time generated? If Kovy were here, we'd at least be guaranteed a line that isnt over-cycling the puck to death. We'd have some variety in the attack...keeping the other team's D honest. Of course, this is not considering the whole contract factor.

#77 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,406 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:00 PM

Surprisingly they really don't miss Kovy this year.  At least not if you go by the premise that Jagr and Brunner aren't here if Kovy is.  Jagr was signed after Kovy left and clearly the best-case replacement at that point, and he's had a better season than two of Kovy's last three years.

Obviously it'd be peachy if we had Kovy WITH the current lineup but that wasn't really possible with the cap and the nine million defensemen Lou keeps hoarding.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#78 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,948 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:15 PM

Surprisingly they really don't miss Kovy this year.  At least not if you go by the premise that Jagr and Brunner aren't here if Kovy is.  Jagr was signed after Kovy left and clearly the best-case replacement at that point, and he's had a better season than two of Kovy's last three years.

Obviously it'd be peachy if we had Kovy WITH the current lineup but that wasn't really possible with the cap and the nine million defensemen Lou keeps hoarding.

I think I remember reading that Lou was going to go after Jagr, even if Kovy was still here. That wouldve been a nice little team for us

#79 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:17 PM

I haven't done the cap math, but I think that Lou would have gone after Jagr if Kovy were still here (although obviously not Brunner).  If you recall, there were rumors last year that Lou wanted to trade for Jagr.  I recall it was reported in the same Czech source that said Jagr was going to sign with the Devils this past offseason.

The interesting issue is when Lou knew that Kovy was leaving, and if it was the reason he went after Clowe and/or Ryder. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#80 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,735 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:23 PM

Pick any 3 NJ defensemen.  Their salary matches or is less than Kovalchuk's salary this year.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users