140 replies to this topic

#101 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:22 PM

Perfect Rangers get 2,  Carolina gets 2 will Columbus get 2 and wash the Devils 2?

#102 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,371 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:24 PM

Just saw the overtime. This is getting awful. Yeah it's a win, but this team simply cannot score. I'm just shocked that after a win it feels hopeless.

If you need a positive, keep in mind that the Devils are 7-2-4 in Cory's last 13 starts, and that's with very little goal support.  They've scored more than 2 goals in regulation exactly ONCE in those starts.  He is really carrying them right now and is finding a way to help the Devils get points out of these games.

Marty cannot be happy. I'm happy with Cory starting but a little piece of me dies inside when I see Marty on the pine the last 7 games. Good for Cory. He's the future. Keep him happy so he stays beyond next year.

The transition should've happened sooner, but Marty's six-game hot streak in late October/early November and Cory's meh December starts (except for the last one) cloudied things up.  Clearly this is not a problem anymore.  And to Marty's credit, he's said very little about it lately. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#103 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:42 PM

What a blast by Merrill!

But man the Devils were sloppy all night.  But they battled hard all night.  BTW, the powerplay sucks without Gelinas.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#104 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,060 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:42 PM

I made the same joke in the chat...Pete has decided to ride with Cory ever since he started playing with a little Gionta in him.

Lmfao!!!!

Marty is obviously playing with too much Josefson in him. :P

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#105 gsnts725

gsnts725

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:44 PM

Brought my friend to her first game ever and what a game it was. Now she loves hockey. Thank God for Jon Merrill and that blast to win it OT! GO DEVILS!

#106 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:55 PM

He really has been sensational for a while now.  No more than two goals allowed in regulation in 13 starts.  A .943 save% in 14 games since 12/28.  And the Devils have needed every bit of it.

and his goal support is just ridiculous. I was listening to Matt and sherry run down his games and I think it was something like 9 of his starts the devils scored 2 goals, 12 starts they scored 1 and 5 starts they were shutout. It's insane how little support he's had.

Btw Merrill had an excellent game tonight even before the gwg. I'm glad he got it, he deserved it after how solid he was all night.

#107 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,991 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:05 PM

Brought my friend to her first game ever and what a game it was. Now she loves hockey. Thank God for Jon Merrill and that blast to win it OT! GO DEVILS!

Atta boy now wife it up

#108 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,989 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:27 PM

This win was like pulling teeth, but it was 100% deserved. The Devils outplayed Edmonton, controlled the boards well...but as usual turned Bryzgalov into Roy (what a nightmare goalie he is really. In baseball you have guess hitter...Bryzgalov is a guess goalie. He always looks so wild and uncomfortable) nonetheless they hit him with the puck more than they should have, they had their usual 2-3 posts, and they also had far too many overhandles of the puck. Far too many times they should've just shot and instead they stickhandled or skated themselves out of a scoring chance.

Cory was great when he needed to be. Again the Devils got caught late in regulation with guys on the ice that shouldn't have been on the ice but it didn't come back to bite them. I thought Henrique had a good game...Jagr was on the puck tonight but made some poor decisions with it. Didn't really notice Elias. Salvador looked alright against a team that would usually make him look bad.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#109 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:09 AM

I seriously hate it when Zidlicky doesn't shoot.  Why would he stop doing it when it was the reason he was so good early on?  That play in the 1st is inexcusable.

Now for tomorrow night.  I think it's fair to say we need to win this in regulation.  But even if they don't it'll be fine.

But seriously, a regulation win is needed for morale more than anything,

Edited by Mike Brown, 08 February 2014 - 12:12 AM.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#110 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:41 AM

Just saw the overtime. This is getting awful. Yeah it's a win, but this team simply cannot score. I'm just shocked that after a win it feels hopeless.

We hit a couple of posts, had another puck swept away at the blue line. Edmonton had won 4 of their last 5. This isn't a "bad" win. We deserved this 3-1 in regulation.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#111 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:44 AM

Atta boy now wife it up

I introduced my girlfriend to hockey during the Panthers Devils series in 11. After game 1 she was amazed at how exciting it is. Since then, she hasn't missed a game. Not one. If we miss it, we watch it on tape delay. She knows the players better than I do sometimes, and has conversations with me about how livid she is with DeBoer stuffing the talent with slow vets.

And she's attractive.

What the hell, man. I'm lucky.

Posted Image

#112 gsnts725

gsnts725

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:49 AM

I introduced my girlfriend to hockey during the Panthers Devils series in 11. After game 1 she was amazed at how exciting it is. Since then, she hasn't missed a game. Not one. If we miss it, we watch it on tape delay. She knows the players better than I do sometimes, and has conversations with me about how livid she is with DeBoer stuffing the talent with slow vets.

And she's attractive.

What the hell, man. I'm lucky.

u gonna put a ring on it? Sounds like a real keeper. haha

#113 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:50 AM

u gonna put a ring on it? Sounds like a real keeper. haha

As long as Henrique doesn't get to her first. Hahah.

Posted Image

#114 gsnts725

gsnts725

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:59 AM

As long as Henrique doesn't get to her first. Hahah.

better hide her haha.

#115 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,991 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:15 AM

We hit a couple of posts, had another puck swept away at the blue line. Edmonton had won 4 of their last 5. This isn't a "bad" win. We deserved this 3-1 in regulation.

That's better, but still. Seemingly every game is painstakingly close. This team is the definition of snake bitten. 

I lucked out big time, dating a Devils fan (who had started following them long before I came along) coming from a family of Ranger fans. The holidays tend to get interesting to say the least. 

#116 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,562 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:31 AM

Edmonton bloggers had chances for NJ at 62% of the total scoring chances in the game - seems high, but Edmonton made a lot of long passes that had little chance of connecting (and the one that did that turned into their goal).  

TG claimed Ryder 'looked lost' tonight and while he did make one awful turnover, he had 5 shots on goal and hit a post.  I think it was one of his best games in a while but he has to start scoring some time.

Elias at less than 15 minutes - has Elias lost some of his effectiveness this year?  Or is DeBoer just managing his ice time knowing that the Olympics are going to put a strain on him?

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#117 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,989 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:40 AM

Elias ice time has been on a small, steady descent since that injury he suffered on New Years Eve. He hasn't seen 20 minutes since that game, and has seen 14 and change which was unheard of before it.

I think whatever he injured flares up from time to time and Deboer adjusts accordingly. Still Elias has had some nice efforts of late, he was pretty good against Nashville and Dallas and played well in the Rag outdoor disaster.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#118 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,215 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:47 AM

Playing with Brunner definitely can't be helping Elias at all.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#119 gsnts725

gsnts725

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:52 AM

yeah he hasn't done anything since his 3 point night when he came back. 1 point in his last 7 games. I thought they'd have chemistry but it hasn't worked at all.

#120 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 02:38 AM

I thought that line had good energy tonight, actually. Brunner is the right type of player to play with Elias, I think, his speed kind've makes up for what Elias lost and creates another dimension to both of their games. That being said, if Brunner is going to be in a scoring drought, it doesn't really matter how fast he skates, but then again, if you don't give our guys ice time because they haven't been scoring, we wouldn't be able to roll out a team.

6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users