Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:39 PM

And so it begins again. 

Projected MLB.com depth chart here.

The important news for the day: A-Rod has dropped his lawsuit, which means that, barring some stupid end-around, he's done for 2014.

My random thought for the day is that, with Brett Wallace being DFA'd today by Houston and us needed IF depth, I'd see if we could give him a look and squeeze him onto the 40-man.  I also thought that about Emilio Bonificio, who was recently DFA'd by Kansas City and can play 2B/SS/3B and can pinch-run if his time in KC is any indication, would be an OK match for some infield depth.  Then again I don't have to balance a 40-man roster so, yeah...

VOTE CRASHER FOR LADY BYNG 2011!

2008 NJDevs Fantasy Football Champion
Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

Devils Head Coach = More turnover than the Defense Against the Dark Arts post.

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that
THE INTERNETS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS KTHXBYE~!

#2 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,288 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:49 PM

I really wish the Yankees would sign Stephen Drew given their current IF. Apparently he's open to a multi year deal with an opt out after year one which makes a lot of sense for the Yankees. Solid D and even with some BABIP regression should be at or slightly above league average at the plate.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#3 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:02 PM

Gardner extended to the tune of 4/52 starting in 2015. Our outfield seems set for at least the next 3 years in theory.

Also we got Andrew Bailey on a 1 year minor league deal.

Edited by Hi, I'm VALUE!, 23 February 2014 - 02:03 PM.

Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that

#4 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,288 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:33 PM

I'm very happy the Yankees were able to extend Gardner, he's been one of their most productive players in recent years. When the Ellsbury deal happened I feared Gardner was gone but now I'm ecstatic. 

Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#5 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,818 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:11 PM

Is the idea that stolen bases don't help a team out still in vogue? 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#6 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,288 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:31 PM

Is the idea that stolen bases don't help a team out still in vogue? 

Seems to be. Beyond the Boxscore had an interesting post the other day on this subject that I found interesting: The value (or lack thereof) of stolen bases

In their 2014 season preview, River Ave Blues takes a look at the Yankees stolen/extra base threats: 2014 Season Preview: Speed Demons

#7 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:55 PM

Fangraphs has a stat that measures runs above average (where 0 is average) contributed through base stealing called wSB. The top base stealers in a year are generally worth something around +5 to +7 runs above average, but it's typically tough to do better than that. Per Fangraphs, since 1950, only 23 times has a player been worth +10 runs or more via base stealing alone in a single season. Ricky Henderson did it 4 times, Tim Raines did it 5 times. 

Success rate is critical as well; Starling Marte stole 41 bases last season, for instance, yet was worth only +1.9 runs because he was also caught 15 times. 

It'll be interesting to see what Billy Hamilton can do with these numbers now that he's penciled in as the Reds' starting CF. He was worth +2.2 runs stealing bases last season, 8th best in the NL..... and he did that despite appearing in just 13 games.

Edited by nmigliore, 26 February 2014 - 10:22 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#8 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,818 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:03 PM

Fangraphs has a stat that measures runs contributed through base stealing called wSB. The top base stealers in a year are generally worth something around +5 to +7 runs, but it's typically tough to do better than that. Per Fangraphs, since 1950, only 23 times has a player been worth +10 runs or more via base stealing alone in a single season. Ricky Henderson did it 4 times, Tim Raines did it 5 times.

It'll be interesting to see what Billy Hamilton can do with these numbers now that he's penciled in as the Reds' starting CF. He was worth +2.2 runs stealing bases last season, 8th best in the NL..... and he did that despite appearing in just 13 games.

I also don't know if anyone has attempted to measure the effect if any, of a fast runner getting a pitcher off his game. At his best, I remember Jose Reyes giving pitchers fits while he was on first, but maybe it just appeared that way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#9 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:01 PM

Armchair GM'ing:

D'Backs have a surplus of shortstops and are looking for a young catcher, Yankees have a surplus of catchers and are looking for a shortstop.  Would you try and pull of a trade centered around one of our catchers and one of these guys?

Didi Gregorius

Chris Owings

Nick Ahmed

Sergio Alcantara

Jose Munoz

#10 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,288 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:45 PM

Ahmed, Alcantara, and Munoz seem far off from the majors. I'd have interest in Gregorius or Owings for sure and I'd hope Arizona overrated a guy like Cervelli or Murphy (doubt Romine has value, and no way I'd move Sanchez here) to help facilitate some sort of deal. Both Gregorius and Owings are young and team controlled for years, both seem just below average offensively but they may be able to have value defensively. I don't think a move for either would hurt though I'd prefer Owings. 

Not a SS but for 2B long term I'd love to acquire Dustin Ackley out of Seattle. They seemed to rush him and stunt his development but I'd be interested in seeing Kevin Long work on his swing. Could be a nice buy low guy.

#11 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,818 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:19 PM

Btw, looks like you can officially say I was dead wrong about the Pineda trade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Posted Image

#12 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,288 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:04 PM

Can't wait for the game tonight. To make things even better, not only did Anna and Solarte beat Nunez for a roster spot, but Nunez has finally been DFA'd today. Hopefully he gets picked up somewhere so the Yankees are finally rid of him.

I'm also happy that Betances and Nuno made the bullpen.

#13 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,780 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:14 PM

Hell of a debut for Tanaka.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#14 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:31 AM

Solarte is looking like a great decision. What happened to nunez? I've heard he took the demotion very poorly in scranton.

Great stuff from Tanaka last night and I expect him to only get more comfortable

I'm excited to see Pineda tonight

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#15 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:33 AM

Tex on the 15 day. Romine recalled probably just to DH I'm guessing?

#16 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,780 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:23 PM

LOL at the Yankees infield.  We went from having arguably the best infield to one of the worst in a matter of one offseason.  At least Pineda was great today.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#17 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:54 PM

ESPN - Twins acquire INF Eduardo Nunez from Yankees for minor league LHP Miguel Sulbaran

Not mad. I heard he was an a$$hole after not making the team. He was a walking error anyway, he could not play the field

#18 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:34 PM

Yeah, I don't hate the fact that Nunez is gone too much; it says a lot about Nunez that the Yankees chose to deal him despite having a thin infield, and it says more about the Twins' infield that they gave up anything for him at all.

Is Miguel Sulbaran anything useful?

#19 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:26 PM

Yeah, I don't hate the fact that Nunez is gone too much; it says a lot about Nunez that the Yankees chose to deal him despite having a thin infield, and it says more about the Twins' infield that they gave up anything for him at all.

Is Miguel Sulbaran anything useful?

yea im suprised we got even a decent prospect for him.  looks like a lefty starter- could be a middle reliever.  still just 19, solid curveball

#20 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,288 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:52 PM

I'm thrilled that Nunez is out of the organization. Never understood the Yankees infatuation with him. Baseball Reference has Sulbaran listed at 5'10, 209 lbs but apparently he showed up to spring training even heavier than that. Baseball America says his stuff is pretty average but I noticed he has a good K/BB ratio. Seems like a fringe prospect at best, most likely organization filler. I'm just happy they got a body in exchange for Nunez.

I'm enjoying the Solarte hot streak while it's going on. I'd be surprised if he last the whole year on the team though.

Really encouraged by the first starts for Pineda and Tanaka so hopefully it'll be a sign of things to come.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users