61 replies to this topic

#41 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:19 PM

Tanaka now at 11-1 and a 1.99 ERA. masterful.

On the other side of things, when is Nuno gonna get off my team? I can't watch him get another start

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#42 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,182 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 01:56 AM

I really didn't know what to expect from Tanaka and I really didn't expect this hot start. Small sample size but his numbers are insane for a rookie: 99.2 IP, 10.20 K/9, 1.44 BB/9, 7.06 K/BB, 0.95 WHIP, 0.90 HR/9, 47.2 GB%, 1.99 ERA, 2.69 FIP, 2.31 xFIP, 2.39 SIERA

Scary to think where this team would be without him given the horrendous offense and injuries to 3/5 of the rotation. At least one positive on the team is how great Betances/Warren/Robertson has been, especially with Kelly hurt/not in form this year.

I also can't wait for Nuno to get off the team. Phelps and Whitley have done a fine job stepping in - though I worry about how many innings Whitley goes before he runs out of gas. He's already thrown 65 innings (majors + minors) this year and has never thrown more than 91 in a year (2011). He only threw 67.2 innings last year. Hopefully Sabathia can get back and be serviceable. They say that Pineda is out until August at the least - with his health I just hope they get him back at some point.

It's pretty crazy the Yankees have already used 24 pitchers this year and 8 different starters. The 2nd wildcard really complicated the trade market and it's not like the Yankees have a lot to give. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up landing someone like Jason Hammel whose on an expiring deal, has AL East experience, and is better than Nuno.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#43 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 07:56 PM

another quality start from Nuno.. sike.. got that ERA up to 5.88 and another L

we'll probably have to just sit and take the pain and suffer through a couple more of his starts because I'm betting he's in there until CC comes back.. or Pineda but god knows when that'll be

#44 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:00 PM

0-9 w/ RISP today too, that wont win you games either

#45 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,182 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:37 AM

Finally had the chance to see Tanaka pitch live, what a show! Too bad the offense didn't show up (no surprise). If you get the chance, I highly recommend getting out to see a game Tanaka pitches.

McCann is really bothering me now that it's almost July and he's only hitting .224/.283/.369, .290 wOBA, 78 wRC+. I get that it's a new league, new pitching staff, but for $17M I want a lot better. Hope he figures it out soon. He seems to have random strong games but is mostly terrible.

Beltran is another guy who is struggling (no surprise with his age) hitting .209/.267/.388, .284 wOBA, 74 wRC+. I wasn't thrilled about his deal given all the warning signs but he looks horrible when he's healthy enough to play.

I wonder how much longer they carry Soriano? His D is horrible and he's hitting .228/.251/.381, .273 wOBA, 67 wRC+ on the year. I hate to say it but he looks done.

Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#46 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,837 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:27 AM

Tanaka is a treat. He knows how to pitch. He doesn't overpower batters but locates and uses both sides of the plate like a craftsman. It's nice to see Kuroda coming around. Too bad the offense stinks. You can't have Ellsbury as your number 3 hitter. Not that I blame Girardi, who always gets a raw deal. But that should be changed. They brought in McCann and Beltran to bat in the middle of the order with Teixeira. Either move Gardner out of the leadoff spot or shift Jeter. And Jete's has been good lately. He tied Gehrig in doubles again off Price. Steals a base. You can't ask for more from the captain.

I'm also a little concerned about Betances. Not just because I have him on my fantasy team. But because Joe continues to march him out for 2 innings. He finally looked sluggish the other night. Remember it's his first year. Don't burn him out. He's their biggest weapon.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#47 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,182 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:54 PM

Well this isn't surprising but is disappointing: http://nypost.com/20...dium=SocialFlow

CC Sabathia’s season is probably over, and depending what Dr. James Andrews finds in the right knee, his career could be in jeopardy.

Sabathia will be examined by Andrews on July 14, and there is a possibility the large lefty will require microfracture surgery.

When the subject of Sabathia’s 2014 season being finished surfaced, Girardi said, “That’s fair to say.’’

#48 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:06 AM

Jesus Christ. If you would've asked me to come up with the worst case scenario for the yanks right now, I could not have thought up anything worse than a concern for Tanaka's health.

Luckily it's just inflammation but until i find out that this will only take 2-4 weeks till he's back to form, then I'm uncomfortable

#49 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:25 AM

I guess this addition is a little more of a worst case scenario:

ESPN - Yankees OF Carlos Beltran broke his nose in BP mishap, OF Brett Gardner has a lower abdominal strain

#50 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,182 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:30 PM

Figures, they get McCarthy to replace Nuno to improve the rotation and then Tanaka goes down. Really hope this isn't serious. The injuries to the rotation have been insane this year.

#51 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:54 PM

Catastrophic. It's unreal how bad of luck that is.

Just gotta stay optimistic

#52 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,182 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:10 PM

https://twitter.com/...402160011767808

"Cashman said 3 Drs examined Tanaka, all agree partial tear UCL. Will get PRP injection, begin rehab, hope to be back in 6 weeks."

https://twitter.com/...402406364196864

"Cashman said if Tanaka's rehab doesn't work, Tommy John surgery is likely."

With the way things have gone this year, I fully expect him to need TJ surgery.

#53 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:28 PM

These TJ surgeries this year are absolutely devastating to the game. A true lroblem.

What an epidemic it has become

#54 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,066 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:46 AM

I wonder if the Yanks would consider trading for Colon.  The Mets probably wouldn't be looking for much in return (if they can't get a better deal somewhere else)...they'd probably be happy enough getting Colon's money off their books.  I pointed this out in the Mets thread, but there's some things that would probably turn the Yankees off:

1) Weight and age (though neither seem to be adversely affecting Colon...he's the same pitcher he's been for years now:  provides innings, doesn't walk anyone, gives up a fair number of hits, doesn't let early troubles wreck an entire outing)

2) Numbers in New Yankee Stadium aren't great:  5.04 ERA, 14 HR allowed in 84 IP pitched there.  Got bombed there earlier this season.

3) Last three starts weren't anything special:  21 IP, 13 ER.  Yankees aren't the kind of team right now that can consistently support a pitcher who needs 4+ runs to win. 

4) Colon's ERA for the season is 3.99...MLB average is 3.80.  Colon's road ERA is a little misleading due to four very rough starts (the other six were good or better), but his 5.06 road ERA and his 2.81 home ERA will have some people wondering if his overall decent numbers are CitiField-driven. 

5) Yankees have been down the Colon road before (2011), and his numbers this season are about in line what what they were then.  Don't know if they're good enough that the Yankees would want to bother.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 11 July 2014 - 06:48 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#55 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:27 AM

Honestly? 

If Tanaka is lost for the season, we're better off trying to sell at this point and restock the farm system.

Knowing we're the Yankees and that's not happening even though 4 of our original 5 SP's are not pitching again this season most likely, I think the extra year of Bartolo isn't a bad thing assuming he doesn't fall off a cliff, since it offers insurance for the extra time that Tanaka would take next season if he needs TJ.

VOTE CRASHER FOR LADY BYNG 2011!

2008 NJDevs Fantasy Football Champion
Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

Devils Head Coach = More turnover than the Defense Against the Dark Arts post.

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that
THE INTERNETS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS KTHXBYE~!

#56 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,182 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:14 PM

Yeah, if Tanaka wasn't injured I'd be open to trading for Colon. The Tanaka injury seems like the nail in the coffin for this team though. I think it's likely the Yankees stand pat minus minor trades like how they just got McCarthy and Francis for nothing. The only selling move I can see the Yankees making is moving Kuroda to one of the LA teams (his family lives there) and that would only happen if the Yankees really fell out of the race. The only good thing going for the Yankees is just how mediocre the competition is.

#57 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:35 PM

Yankees acquire Chase Headley. 

@@JonHeymanCBS

so that was headley plus $1M to ny for depaula & solarte, done deal

Not sure how I feel about this, but I feel positive in general about it I think.  I assume he slides into 3B and Johnson becomes the 2B, with Roberts sliding down into a utility role.

I like it from a defensive standpoint, and I like it because there's no string attached at the end of this year, although there's obviously part of me that hopes we can deal or buy out ARod and insert Chase into this place if he does well.

Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that

#58 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:42 PM

ah, part of me was wishing we held on to Solarte. we got Headley for a guy that was batting higher than him (.259 Solarte vs. .229 Headley), and was three years younger.  you could say its a defensive move but Solarte looked fine to me.  and we got rid of ANOTHER prospect.

I just cant stand the fact that the yanks never really wanna hold onto their youth

#59 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:47 PM

Let's be fair: Solarte's offense was buoyed up by a hot April.  He was not hitting anymore, he wasn't in the team's long-term plans, and while there's no guarantee Headley will be, it's more likely than Solarte was. 

Plus, can't Headley play 2B? 

#60 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,182 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:16 PM

I love this trade just like I loved the McCarthy deal. Cashman gave up spare parts and got half seasons of McCarthy and Headley, pretty solid. Solarte is nothing more than a career minor leaguer that had a hot start and the Yankees won the lottery on. DePaula is an interesting prospect but has struggled in parts of 2 years at A+ and projects as a reliever. I don't mind giving him up.

Headley is having a down year but has a .285 BABIP despite a career high 26.7 LD%. Moving away from a pitcher's park to a hitter's park should help him rebound a bit. Both ZiPS and Steamer project him to hit above average the rest of the way which is a big improvement for the Yankees at 3B. Plus all the metrics like his defense at 3rd.

With all that said, I don't think it makes them a playoff team but they gave up nothing and these moves help them stay competitive and have a chance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users