90 replies to this topic

#81 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 09:23 AM

The deadline to tender contracts to arb-eligible players has passed, and here are the players who were "non-tendered" (aka released).

On the Yankees front, Slade Heathcott, David Huff, and Jose Campos were the victims of release, giving the Yankees 4 open 40-man roster spots.

Also on the list are a couple of intriguing prospects to look into, and specifically I'd love for the Yankees to get Everth Cabrera on a "prove-it" type deal to see if he's got any juice.  He's primarily a shortstop, but has also played 2nd and 3rd.  I wouldn't mortgage the farm or anything for him, but if trades aren't going as expected (and the rest of the FA's aren't great...) then he's kind of a why not flyer.

There's also a couple of interesting arms on the list, specifically Kris Medlan and Brandon Beachy.  They're both TJ recoveries, but we've seen this before from the Yankees (hello Andrew Bailey), and I wouldn't be surprised if the Yanks inquired on both.  You could fit Alexi Ogando into this realm as well, I suppose, though I'm not a fan (just kind of a gut feeling thing, nothing really statistic to back it up).

VOTE CRASHER FOR LADY BYNG 2011!

2008 NJDevs Fantasy Football Champion
Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

Devils Head Coach = More turnover than the Defense Against the Dark Arts post.

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that
THE INTERNETS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS KTHXBYE~!

#82 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:37 AM

Yankees trade for Didi Gregorius

It looks like Shane Greene is headed for Detroit, and the Diamondbacks are involved as a 3rd team.  Full framework to follow when the details surface.

Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that

#83 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,929 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 01:29 PM

Interesting...hopefully Yankee fans won't be comparing him to Jeter, and will just let this guy be who he is. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#84 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 02:13 PM

Agreed, CR.  The comparisons are inevitable since it's the first season after Jeter, but he should be allowed to make his own way with his own strengths (primarily defense).  Losing Greene stings slightly, but you have to give to get, and it's probably easier to replace a #5 starter than it is to find a good defensive shortstop.  And we made a trade without gutting the farm, yay!

#85 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,372 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 03:47 PM

Re Non-Tenders: Hope that the Yankees can re-sign Heathcott and Campos to minor league deals. Talent is still there, it's a shame that injuries have derailed their careers. The Yankees got Didi now but regardless I would've stayed away from Everth Cabrera. He's never hit outside of 2013 and his defense seems to grade to just average to slightly below average.

Re Greene-Gregorius trade: I like it despite not being a big fan of Gregorius. Cashman did well to sell high on Greene and buy low on Gregorius. Yankees get Gregorius for his age 25-29 seasons which is great. Seems most of the defensive metrics rank his defense between average to above average with most people thinking it's above average and should continue to improve. His offense has been non-existent but as Mark Simon of ESPN NY notes, he is one of the best at hitting the ball hard and could see some positive regression that will make his numbers better. LHB so maybe he'll get some pop with the short porch in NY. Struggles against LHP in his career (33 wRC+) but hits RHP league average (102 wRC+) which is good for a SS. Maybe just limit his time against LHP.

A lot of people like to get on Cashman but I always thought he does a decent job in trades. Mike Axisa had this tweet which I thought was awesome:

"In the last nine months, NYY turned Solarte (MiLB FA), Nuno (indy ball signing) and Greene (15th rd pk) into Headley, McCarthy, Didi."

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#86 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 03:47 PM

And with the frugal trade also comes the spending of dollars: Yankees to sign Andrew Miller.  4/$36.

#87 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,372 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 03:51 PM

And with the frugal trade also comes the spending of dollars: Yankees to sign Andrew Miller.  4/$36.

I hope this doesn't mean Robertson is gone but it's hard not to feel that way. Nothing against Miller but if the Yankees are going to give out a big contract to a relief pitcher, I'd rather it go to the better pitcher that is also home grown.

Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#88 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,372 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 12:58 AM

https://twitter.com/...191431519969281

"The Chicago #Whitesox have just signed closer David Robertson to a 4 year deal in excess of $40 million."

:argh:  :argh:

#89 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 01:04 AM

https://twitter.com/...191431519969281

"The Chicago #Whitesox have just signed closer David Robertson to a 4 year deal in excess of $40 million."

:argh: :argh:

I dont mind this at all. Would way rather let Betances take the job anyway

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#90 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,372 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 02:29 AM

I dont mind this at all. Would way rather let Betances take the job anyway

Betances had a great year but it's still just 65 innings to go off of. A team like the Yankees shouldn't be so frugal that they are willing to let their own home grown, best reliever leave for a reasonable contract while settling for an inferior player in Miller. I get walking away from Cano with the long term committment but to balk at the contract Robertson got makes no sense to me.

The other thing that bothers me is that this team is so weak offensively and questionable when it comes to the rotation, they need every bit of production they can grab. They essentially replaced Robertson with a lesser pitcher and are hoping that they get value out of that. I would've rather spent the $2.5M more per year to have Robertson over Miller. 

#91 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:45 PM

Yankees open the wallets for Chase Headley to the tune of 4/52 with a 1MM trade kicker.

Assuming he can play good defense for at least 3 of those years and average around .260/20/60, I'm OK with this.  Our infield for next year is set, and a bit younger, and A-Rod doesn't have to "play defense" for us. It also enables us to get some groundball pitchers and have them be successful.

The main complaint I've heard on this one is it blocks Rob Refsnyder and Jose Pirela from competing for second because of Prado, and my problems with that are as follows:

1) Prado can play the corner outfield if needed, so when if one of our outfielders gets hurt, Prado can shift there and they can come up for 2B.

2) If Martin Prado (good player but certainly not elite) is blocking you from playing time in a fair competition, then the chances are your game needs work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users