180 replies to this topic

#21 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,958 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:39 AM

Still reasons for optimism.  Devils have been getting some nice help lately...as much as can be realistically expected, anyway. 

If the Devils come away with two points down in Florida, I'll take them..of course I'd love more, but trying not to set the bar too high.  That would give the Devils a .667 point% coming out of the Olympic break in their first 9 GP, which I would've happily signed up for at the time.  10 out of the last 14 games will be at home, including 5 straight after Florida.  Those five will be tough...all of the Devils' opponents are in the playoff hunt (or course, you can say that for all but about 5-6 NHL teams).  By then we'll probably know if the Devils will be relevant come April, but at least they're relevant right now.  If they Devils had gone 2-5 instead of 5-2 coming out of the break, the season's over.       

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#22 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,284 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:07 AM

Still reasons for optimism.  Devils have been getting some nice help lately...as much as can be realistically expected, anyway. 

If the Devils come away with two points down in Florida, I'll take them..of course I'd love more, but trying not to set the bar too high.  That would give the Devils a .667 point% coming out of the Olympic break in their first 9 GP, which I would've happily signed up for at the time.  10 out of the last 14 games will be at home, including 5 straight after Florida.  Those five will be tough...all of the Devils' opponents are in the playoff hunt (or course, you can say that for all but about 5-6 NHL teams).  By then we'll probably know if the Devils will be relevant come April, but at least they're relevant right now.  If they Devils had gone 2-5 instead of 5-2 coming out of the break, the season's over.       

Devils need 4 this weekend. 2 would be extremely disappointing.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#23 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,958 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:36 AM

Devils need 4 this weekend. 2 would be extremely disappointing.

I want four, but I don't want to be doom-and-gloom if it doesn't happen.  4 out of 6 in three straight road games is pretty good. 

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#24 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,901 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:37 AM

I think the whole two of three is fair.  I know going game-by-game is problematic but something like this is semi-realistic for the rest of the month:

at Florida - win

at Tampa - loss

Boston - loss

Minnesota - win

Rangers - win

Toronto - loss

Phoenix - win

at Isles - win

Florida - win

If they go 6-3 the rest of the month so long as the Rangers are one of the six (that's the only realistic 'four point' game unless you think Toronto/Tampa will collapse) it shouldn't be an issue as long as they don't go back into the abyss over the next week.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 13 March 2014 - 07:41 AM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#25 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,958 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:49 AM

Two out of three (actually, a little better than that) is pretty much what they have to do the rest of the way, in one form or another.  dr33 is right in that four points (or even three) gives them somewhat of a margin for error for the tough homestand coming up (as much of a margin as they'll ever have, anyway).  10-5-1 gets them to 92 points, as we know.  Yeah, anything approaching an abyss (think three straight games where they only come away with one point overall) and it gets very dicey very quickly. 

#30 FOREVER!

#26 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,284 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:28 AM

I'm expecting Brodeur against Florida and then throw Schneider to the actual good team on the second half of a back to back and role with Marty when the Devils win Marty in net (and then everyone says well Brodeur just wins).

This is just a perfect weekend to get greedy. 3 at the minimum (hopefully with giving two to Florida and not Tampa).

Edited by devilsrule33, 13 March 2014 - 08:28 AM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#27 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:42 AM

We're in the playoff picture with Ryder Clowe Zubrus and brunner in scoring slumps.  if 2 of these players can give us ANYTHING of a streak it would be a huge bump

#28 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:51 AM

The Ruutu trade also looks to be paying major dividends.  The guy is basically a younger and better version of what Zubrus is now.  And Zubrus still managed to produce when he was on the top line.  Could turn out to be this year's version of the Neal Broten trade.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#29 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:02 AM

I've always been a fan of Ruutu when he was playing (and scoring) in Carolina, similar to Jussi Jokinen, but a more physical version of him.  I really really like how Ruutu has been playing with Zajac and Jagr

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#30 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,958 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:13 AM

The Ruutu trade also looks to be paying major dividends.  The guy is basically a younger and better version of what Zubrus is now.  And Zubrus still managed to produce when he was on the top line.  Could turn out to be this year's version of the Neal Broten trade.

Only three games, but yeah, so far so good for sure.  The Neal Broten deal was one of the best "Why not?" trades ever (though that's selling Lou short...he probably had a strong hunch Broten would produce if given the chance).  Dallas had basically made him a checker at that point...they had pretty much given up on him ever being an offensive force.  I remember the Devils not really taking off until later in the season after Broten came aboard, but he promptly put up points the minute he became a Devil...I think he had a seven-game point streak in his first seven games or something like that, after only having 4 points (no goals) in 17 games as a Star. 

#30 FOREVER!

#31 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,645 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:37 AM

I'd like to see the Devils keep taking at least 2 out of 3 and then finish the season on a winning streak of 4+ games.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#32 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,958 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:55 AM

I'd like to see the Devils keep taking at least 2 out of 3 and then finish the season on a winning streak of 4+ games.

Well, now they've got to win 3 in a row to get back on that 2-out-of-3 pace.  Not completely giving up yet, but 10-3-1 the rest of the way to get to 92 seems like it's too much to ask of this group. 

Re:  Cory, I still believe he can be the man and very much hope he's re-signed this offseason, but the fact is, there's been plenty of .920 guys who put up nice numbers overall, but have a way of not getting it done when needed.  Marty is obviously not what he was, but in his prime he showed multiple times that he was capable of raising his game when his team really needed him to, even if he wasn't always a save% beast.  

Maybe it's the layoff that has hurt Cory, and clearly not everything that's happened post-break has been his fault, but he has to find a way to get his team the win in a game like the one against the Panthers.  Hope he finds his game very soon, because the Devils have no prayer at all without him playing at or near his pre-Break level.   

#30 FOREVER!

#33 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:28 AM

Re:  Cory, I still believe he can be the man and very much hope he's re-signed this offseason, but the fact is, there's been plenty of .920 guys who put up nice numbers overall, but have a way of not getting it done when needed.  Marty is obviously not what he was, but in his prime he showed multiple times that he was capable of raising his game when his team really needed him to, even if he wasn't always a save% beast.  

Maybe it's the layoff that has hurt Cory, and clearly not everything that's happened post-break has been his fault, but he has to find a way to get his team the win in a game like the one against the Panthers.  Hope he finds his game very soon, because the Devils have no prayer at all without him playing at or near his pre-Break level.   

cory's a good goalie, but we've seen he has some warts. the post to post slide exposes a leaky 5 hole, his rebounds get sloppy. it seemed like the marty trade scenario screwed him up or he's just simply inconsistant. it would be nice to resign him, put finding a goalie post marty is going to be easier than finding some young goal scorers. now thats an issue

#34 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,958 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:15 AM

I don't know how Lou solves the young scorer problem.  I'm not a big believer in Boucher.

It's funny, Lou always seems to say he likes his teams publicly, but I think if someone handed him a detonator and said "Use this to blow up your team and start over", I think he'd do it in a heartbeat.  He'd sift through the resulting rubble and keep some key guys for sure, but I think there's a good chunk of players he'd love to wash his hands of.  Every GM has some of those guys of course, but I think Lou sometimes looks at his team and wonders how he got here. 

#30 FOREVER!

#35 devils102

devils102

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:19 AM

I would also like to see him re-signed and would like to see a full season to see how he handles carrying a team throughout the ups and downs. He didn't get that chance in Vancouver and really didn't get it this year either.

I think Cory's pre-Olympic performance is the main reason we are in the playoff race at all. I think all players are entitled to slump at some point. And it's unfortunate Cory's doing it now. But I don't see it as evidence of him not being able to get it done in the big moments. When you are carrying a team, any time you slump is the wrong time because the team needs an elite performance to be competitive.

Our offense has been carrying the team lately, but if we had a more consistent performance from certain guys throughout the year we might not be so far down in the standings to begin with.

Posted Image

#36 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,901 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:22 AM

I don't know how Lou solves the young scorer problem.  I'm not a big believer in Boucher.

It's funny, Lou always seems to say he likes his teams publicly, but I think if someone handed him a detonator and said "Use this to blow up your team and start over", I think he'd do it in a heartbeat.  He'd sift through the resulting rubble and keep some key guys for sure, but I think there's a good chunk of players he'd love to wash his hands of.  Every GM has some of those guys of course, but I think Lou sometimes looks at his team and wonders how he got here. 

What makes the scoring/forward problem worse is other than Jagr (who's essential to bring back), Ryder and Brunner we have a TON of highly-paid forwards signed for another two plus years.  They've pretty much locked themselves in long-term to most of this group.  The only lineup forwards that are FA's this year are Jagr and CBGB.  Next year it's Ryder and Brunner.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 16 March 2014 - 09:24 AM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#37 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:00 PM

Things to be optimistic about:

Opportunity to sign Cory long term
D corps future -Larsson, Gelinas, Merrill, Severson, Santini
Getting our draft pick back
Money to spend on offense

#38 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:25 PM

Things to be optimistic about:

Opportunity to sign Cory long term
D corps future -Larsson, Gelinas, Merrill, Severson, Santini
Getting our draft pick back
Money to spend on offense

I'd like to think that Andy Greene and Mark Fayne are a part of that future D-corps as well.  Hopefully.  Otherwise, I agree.

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#39 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,086 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:37 PM

What makes the scoring/forward problem worse is other than Jagr (who's essential to bring back), Ryder and Brunner we have a TON of highly-paid forwards signed for another two plus years.  They've pretty much locked themselves in long-term to most of this group.  The only lineup forwards that are FA's this year are Jagr and CBGB.  Next year it's Ryder and Brunner.

They haven't really locked themselves in, but that depends on their willingness to employ Dainius Zubrus as a 4th line player, because that's quickly what he's becoming.  If they're willing to move Boucher to RW (which I would hope they are, given that they do have a bunch of crap LWs signed), they could move one of Ryder or Brunner and get better that way.  Basically Ryder, Brunner, Zubrus, or Ruutu all would move, some with a little kick via retained salary, but I think someone would be interested.  The trouble with Zubrus is that he has an NTC.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#40 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 01:33 PM

Another reason to be optimistic is that the Flyers have a brutal schedule.  They've handled it well up until now.  But eventually they'll wear down.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users